[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 116
Thread images: 7
What went wrong?
>>
They got rid of a lot of stand-up stuff and whenever they do have it's something from fucking Dave Chappelle or Louis CK.
Broad City is alright and Workaholics is sometimes alright.
>>
catering to the lowest common denominator
>>
They caught what mtv had
>>
>>66762037
What do you mean by this?
>>
>>66762079
viacom syndrome
>>
>>66761907
libruls
>>
>>66761977
>hating Dave Chappelle and liking Workaholics
wew
>>
>>66762398
Like YouTube and Nickelodeon?
>>
Nothing, they have Nathan For You, which single handedly makes them one of the top original content producers on TV
>>
File: I hate jews.png (840 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
I hate jews.png
840 KB, 1366x768
>>66762512
that and south park are the only redeemable things still left on the network
>>
>>66762512
seriously
1. Nathan For You
2. Workaholics
3. Review
4. Broad City
Not many networks have 4 good original programs currently on going. They are doing just fine, including Nathan For You, the best new comedy series in years
>>
Got rid of Live at Gotham
>>
>>66762592
also South Park, I somehow forgot about that
>>
Cancelling Drawn Together
>>
>>66762592
Literally zero of those four shows are good. Nathan was good before the novelty wore off and everything became so obviously fake
>>
You're not 12 anymore
PC movements increased
>>
>>66762592
Review is about a million times better than Workaholics and a case could be made that it's as good as Nathan For You although I do prefer NFY slightly.

Review and Nathan For You are easily among the network's best shows ever. Just two years ago it looked like Comedy Central might've been on it's way to returning to its early 2000s glory, but the direction they're gone in since looks like they're getting closer to being more like the late 00s CC.
>>
It's been over a decade and they're still trying to find Chappelle's replacement.
>>
Losing Stewart and Colbert was monstrous. Nathan For You is good but it's nowhere near the cultural Significance of the Daily Show and the Colbert Report

Add in the fact that South Park has been dying for years and haven't found any shows that are truly worthwhile and yeah, CC is dying
>>
File: adultswim.jpg (10 KB, 421x316) Image search: [Google]
adultswim.jpg
10 KB, 421x316
its not even the best comedy channel any more
>>
>>66763035
>Nathan For You is good but it's nowhere near the cultural Significance of the Daily Show and the Colbert Report
that doesn't mean it isn't better, thats like saying Justin Bieber is better than music than (pick any good indie rock band)
Also, Stewart hadn't been good in like 10 years, you say SP is dying, but the Daily show had lost all value long before SP started to
>>
File: 1457122330113.png (674 KB, 634x495) Image search: [Google]
1457122330113.png
674 KB, 634x495
>we're going to court the diversity movement!

>uh oh black people and women aren't funny what did we do?!
>>
File: 1391188129362.png (161 KB, 350x227) Image search: [Google]
1391188129362.png
161 KB, 350x227
>>66763158
>Also, Stewart hadn't been good in like 10 years
>>
>>66763120
adult swim isn't that good right now though
>>
>>66763158
I'm not saying it isn't better. But the Daily Show and Colbert Report mattered much much more to society in general

For example, I think Queen is a better band than the Beatles. But I'd be an idiot if I thought the Beatles weren't much more significant culturally
>>
>>66763231
I remember liking Stewart when I was in middle school, it went way downhill once Obama got elected and he didn't have making fun of Bush to lean on
>>
>>66763285
I guess I just like quality more than I like 'cultural significance'
>>
I'm not surprised the sample here like Nathan For You. It's a horrible show.

South Park got old
Chapelle Show was luckily killed before it could sour
Key and Peele had it's moments
Daily show was good, Colbert even better: both power houses, both gone. Lots of people with them
New Daily show will need years for traction, Nightly Show needs the same if it can survive.
Broad City and Workaholics have their fanbases at least, not bad
Nathan For You is for weirdos
Another Period was canceled
SNL reruns can only be so good depending on your age
@Midnight can be good with the right guests
>>
>>66763120
I wonder if the 14-20 crowd likes this. I'm outside of their demographic nowadays so I just DVR one show.
>>
>>66763247
childrens hospital and the fake infomercials are pretty solid along with reruns of their old shows
>>
>>66763454
>Nathan For You is bad
>@midnight is good
never in my life seen a more pleb post
>>
>>66763162
they forgot that their target audience is white straight males.
>>
>>66763532
Well I wasn't counting reruns of their old shows. The infomercials are very hit and miss.
>>
Nathan For You is good.
Review is cancelled.
Broad City is better than it deserves to be.
I've stopped watching Workaholics.
>>
>have a network watched mostly by young white males
>switch to black and women oriented shows

diversity is nice and its nice to be nice, but you still need to give customers what they want
>>
>>66763584
I would've liked to see Review last longer than it did but I do think it is the kind of show that maybe should have a clear end for the story and not just go on forever. I'm excited for the last season, it should be great.
>>
>>66763582
But man when they hit, they really fucking hit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gMjJNGg9Z8
>>
>>66763726
Yeah, this is the time where they really did it right.
>>
>>66763454
Nathan For You is literally the best current comedy on TV, its amazing
>>
>>66763544
@Midnight actually gives comedians a chance to be comedians. Not every line-up of guests is good.

Nathan For you is a young Ray Romano in a staged reality life coach show without decent actors to work off of. I really don't see the comedy in people being forced into awkward moments on camera. No one even reacts strangley. They just exist while monotone stock photo model pushes them into more/less strange occurrences. Then they edit it. At least more standard reality TV tries to get bombastic people to play ball and riled up on queue.
>>
>>66763956
>I really don't see the comedy in people being forced into awkward moments on camera
I do
>>
>>66763956
Thats because Nathan is the punch line, not the bystanders
>>
>>66764006
You'd just love Practical Jokers then
>>
>>66764097
never seen it, but pre nathan for you the best show of that type was Trigger Happy TV
>>
>>66764085
The punchline is proper usage of xanax?
>>
Live from the Interracial Breeding Grounds just wasn't up to par
>>
>>66763956
Is not liking Nathan For You an actual opinion people have?
Before this moment I thought there were only people that love it and people who had never heard of it
>>
>>66762592
Nathan for You and South Park are their only really great shows
Everything else is meh or trash
>>
>>66764215
thats still much better than most channels
>>
>>66763956
>young Ray Romano
what kind of shit comparison is that
> I really don't see the comedy in people being forced into awkward moments on camera.
then you have no sense of humor
>No one even reacts strangley.
You have literally never seen an episode if you think this.
>They just exist while monotone stock photo model pushes them into more/less strange occurrences.
Another shit description of Nathan and a horrible summation of what the show. You sound like you've only seen commercials for it.

And @midnight has the absolute worst format on TV. What comics do on there isn't "being comedians", it's a fucking forced unnatural shit and you almost never get a sense of who the comics are or what their act is like. It's good, in concept, that there is a show that puts a lot of young comedians on, but literally all it is good for is giving their names out there. It is not a show where anyone ever really shines, and often if a comedian does do well on it, that's a sign that they fucking suck.
>>
>>66764097
If you really like Impractical Jokers is anything like Nathan For You, you're a dipshit. Nathan actually tests boundaries, he doesn't just act like a retard in public.
>>
>>66764344
*really think
>>
>>66764277
>Nathan For You
You got me, I turn it off around 10-15 minutes. Ray Romano comments and awkward herding stands. If I wanted to pretend I'm watching staged reality TV, I'd watch any other piece of shit station.

>@midnight
That's why I said "can be good." But usually the people doing well on it are older Canadians.
>>
File: prinnysmirk.jpg (622 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
prinnysmirk.jpg
622 KB, 1200x1200
>>66761907
>What went wrong?

Targeting young women as a primary demographic.
>>
broad city, workaholics, and idiotsitter are actually all pretty good this year. it's just the nigger news hour thats failing
>>
>>66764438
What does Ray Romano have to do with anything?
>>
>>66764277
>Look how uncomfortable these people are! Isn't is funny! HAA people responded normally to me being weird!
>>
>>66764579
You clearly haven't really watched, its not about making people uncomfortable at all. Confused maybe, but not uncomfortable
>>
>>66764570
Nathan has the same deep voice that changes note but can't change pitch. It's nap material.
>>
>>66764654
lol, so he has kind of a similar voice to a guy? So that makes them similar comedians?
>>
>>66764438
The idea of Nathan of You that you for some reason made up in your head is just off.

As far as @midnight goes, occasionally a good comic comes up with a funny line, but it is always going to be outnumbered by a million painfully bad moments per episode. It's never really good.
>>
>>66764686
Its a caritcature of personality, not a comparison of style
>>
>people actually like @midnight
not even some of the decent guests on there can salvage that millennial meme fest
>>
>>66764912
Personalities aren't remotely similar, either. A voice isn't a personality.
>>
>>66764975
Such a small joke, yet so far from you

>>66764932
> millennial meme fest
Welcome to 4chan, here's your mop.
>>
>>66763726
I was sitting in my basement with my GF and her friend at like 3 in the morning and we were all very drunk and this made us shit our pants because we hadn't seen anything like it before and had no idea what was going on.
>>
>>66764730
I don't think it is. I don't discuss TV with people day to day. People on here said it was the only good thing on CC. DVR'ed a couple. It was highly uninteresting.
>>
>>66765315
I've literally never heard someone have a similar opinion to you on this
>>
>>66765418
Right back at ya'
>>
>>66761907
Frank Coniff left the show, and Mary Jo Pehl came to ruin it.
>>
Born in 1989. I miss the pre-2000's comedy films they used to show in the 90's. I also caught up with SNL and The Kids in the Hall thanks to all the re-runs
>>
>>66765477
And then Mad TV came
>>
>>66765444
You have literally never heard someone say Nathan For You is good and not just a clone of Everyone Loves Raymond?

Pretty sure it is rather critically acclaimed
>>
>>66765584
This site is the only place I've ever seen it mentioned. Though I don't watch a ton of TV or end up talking about it much. More of a reader and movie person.

>Stuck on Everyone Loves Raymond
You really missed the joke more than I previously thought.
>>
>>66765753
I agree comedy central has done a really bad job marketing it, most people still haven't heard of it
>>
>>66765093
I understand what the joke was. It is a terrible joke, befitting of an @midnight fan. That's why multiple people are pointing out how shitty it is. And you defended your shit joke terribly by saying it was a personality caricature.
>>
>>66765954
>@midnight fan
Let's not go calling people names now. I said can. I watched the show a lot in the first year.
And yes, their voices are pretty much spot on to eachother. I could also throw in Kermit the Frog or Henchman 24.
>>
>>66765315
>I don't think it is.
You're being told right now that it is not accurate by people who have actually seen more than 15 minutes of the show.
>>66765753
I saw it on multiple TV critics best of 2015 lists and it has had many pieces written on it on various sites.
>>
>>66762564
Workaholics and Tosh.O
>>
dr. katz isnt on
>>
>>66766140
That's great bud
>>
>>66766205
The point is don't say you "haven't heard anyone with a similar opinion" if the only reason you haven't is because you aren't in touch, dummy.
>>
>>66766205
critics and pretty much everyone who sees it love it, the problem is most people haven't even heard of it
Probably just too intelligent for you, stick to Big Bang Theory
>>
File: giphy.gif (1 MB, 400x215) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
1 MB, 400x215
>>66766291
Guess I'll have to watch more than five hours of TV a week to be taken seriously.
>>
>>66766389
You can watch the entirety of Nathan For You in two evenings
i don't know what the total amount of time you spend watching TV has to do with anything though. Its not like Nathan for You becomes even better when you watch more TV, its quality is completely independent of how much you watch
>>
>>66766389
what episodes have you even watched?
>>
>>66766320
>>66766291
I don't read TV reviews. Still doesn't change that I haven't heard of it being well spoken in my usual circle. And this places doesn't count: sample bias, trolls and contrarians. But notable positive response from... well more than me.

>>66766552
I need two months to finish a season a Star Trek. I'll forget. Given the chance it had been given it ain't happening.

Make no mistake though, my hate of it is not to dissuade others enjoyment. Same as you'll support, I'll detract.
>>
>>66766619
Something about selling TV's and suing best buy. Then some guy trying to word out about his burgers.
>>
>>66766956
>Something about selling TV's and suing best buy
and you didn't like that one? fuck
>>
>>66761907
They didn't realize that by only pushing far left guys they would lose half their viewers.

Also complete shit new shows in the past decade
>>
>>66767017
The gauntlet to the TV deal was good.
>>
>>66761907
muh women muh blacks and muh other bullshit won. they got rid of jeselnik offensive because he made fun of new zealand.

new zealand? this channel is for pussies fuck off
>>
>>66767166
and I just love the way it escalated to him dating Best Buy employees
>>
>>66761907
Why is the comedy central logo the criterion collection logo?
>>
>>66763584
>Broad City is better than it deserves to be.

What do you mean by this?
>>
DUDE

REPUBLICANS

LMAO
>>
>>66764932
I would watch the first couple months of it when it had a comedian I liked. then the comedians I liked just starting keeping their mouths shut during LE EBIC REDDIT moments and those moments just started getting longer and longer
>>
>>66767511
Pretty much this. The gap between gold moments widened to once or twice an episode. Segments and guest synergy lowered
>>
most of the stand up is gone

losing reruns of Conan's old show was terrible
>>
>>66767959
>there will never be a late night show as good as late night Conan or late late show Ferguson again
>>
>>66761907

>fresh stand up: gone
>butchered late-night which used to be bread and butter: check
>all their original talent shows like Key and Peele: went separate ways

So all they have left is South Park and I watch that on their website.

You want to really know why they're fucked? Viacom. There you go. The company that latches and leeches off of everything they have.

They're the equivalent of Ubisoft in the video game world.
>>
Growing up I remember celebrity roasts being great. CC hobble teams of "Who?" people not even directly involved with the roastee to crack bad jokes. Also they pay Andy Dick
>>
>>66768207
Nathan Fielder is better than Key and Peele ever were
>>
>>66768224
i think they were always bad, except when Norm is there
>>
>>66768275

True, I take that point back. Nathan For You is a damn good show.

Won't save the network though. Again, I watch all their shit online. I never watch it on actual television.
>>
>>66768391
>I watch all their shit online
well yeah, but that effects every old fashioned channel
>>
>>66768327
Let's take a moment just to think about Norm.

ooh yeah
>>
>>66768652
comedy central needs to give norm a show again. Sports Show was amazing
>>
>>66768501

Exactly my point. They've ruined themselves. They used to be the edgy channel that attracted you outsiders. That's now called The Internet.

They tried to adapt to the media and a few social trends. Too slow.

>>66767150 gets it really right.

They didn't realize that society runs in waves and that picking people with even more viewpoints that don't necessarily reflect the real base they were going after means good ratings.

Willmore is a fool and I don't find a single one of his endless racial "arguments" funny in any way. I'm no racist but it's stupid. I actually miss Stewart. He made points. That guy is just going for the "HAHAHAH I MADE A RACIST ALLEGORY AND JOKE DIDN'T IT MAKE YOU LAUGH YET?"

[CURRENT YEAR]-man is the only guy still trying and he's annoying because he's a week behind on purpose.
>>
>>66763120
Adult Swim has been pretty shit for the past seven or eight years, unless you find old Family Guy and Cleveland Show reruns plus the shambling corpse of ATHF and Robot Chicken to be the height of late night comedy.
>>
>>66769025

The Eric Andre Show is some of the best comedy I've seen in years.

I'm a bit bias though since I love the old Candid Camera stuff.

It's still really difficult shit to pull off and I respect any man and crew who are willing to go on the streets and do what they do.
>>
>>66764932
>bloo-bloo-bloo le '80s kids aren't hip anymore!!

Eat shit or grow up.
>>
>>66769139
Eric Andre's fine, but oneor two shows will not make a network.
>>
>>66769467
the show is shit, get over it.
>>
>Have Nathan For You, the best show on TV
>Never fucking air it
>Instead play Guy Code and other stupid shit every god damn day
Thread replies: 116
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.