[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ATLA
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 8
Will there ever be a better animated series?
>>
I watched a bit of this. I liked the setting but the animation was bland and I didn't care too much for the story.

Batman: The Animated Series was the best cartoon of our generation tbqh.
>>
/a/
>>
>>66753825
I'd argue that Samurai Jack was btter, but just because the plot is a mess and there is literally no character development, well Avatar wins.

>>66753878
>I liked the setting but the animation was bland
I agree
>Batman: The Animated Series was the best cartoon of our generation tbqh.
Batman is great, but honestly overall, Avatar is better
>>
>>66753825
It's shit. The movie actually made it watchable
>>
File: Donquipepe Donfeelmingo.png (125 KB, 400x388) Image search: [Google]
Donquipepe Donfeelmingo.png
125 KB, 400x388
One Piece before its pacing went to shit
>>
South Park
>>
Gargoyles.
>>
>>66753878
Batman and Avatar are different generations.
>>
>>66754112
I've never seen worse bait
>>
File: fucking rain.png (351 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
fucking rain.png
351 KB, 512x384
>>66754201
>No real season 3
>>
>>66753825

No there won't

>>66754133

>weebshit

Kill yourself
>>
>>66754133
You mean the first 100 chapters only?

1-100 God tier
101-400 Regular tier
400-800 Shit tier

I can only hope the remaining 700 or so chapters to be at least passable. However regarding the manga, One Piece the BEST shonen manga ever written.
>>
>>66754244
I meant our collective generation (mine and OP's). I was too old for Avatar.
>>
>>66754372
I was also too old for Avatar, but I watched it last year and it's p good. I like the characters in Korra better throughout, however. In Avatar the kiddie humour goes on a bit too long for me. But it's a show for kids, so whatever.
>>
>>66754201
Is the series as good as batman the animates series? I mean the Intro is amazing but is the series as good?
>>
>>66754696

I would say yes,it helps Gargoyles had an overarching story and continuity from episode to episode.

also Xanatos is fucking awesome
>>
>>66753825
There already were when it came out, and there have been since.

ATLA is a B- show that gets excessive praise for being the only one of it's genre in western animation.
>>
Western?

Not recently, no. Eastern? Yes.
>>
>>66754268
Anime shits all over Avatar westacuck.
>>
>>66754133
>>66757279
ahem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WEFIp6GYT0
>>
>>66754628
really mang? I got the exact opposite reaction

The characters in Korra were pretty flat. And there literal fart jokes.
>>
>>66753878
It gets better although the ending is kinda shit. If you like cartoons, you should watch it at one point.
>>
>>66757500
I'm not even going to bother watching this.

If Avatar was made in Japan, no one would care about it.
>>
>>66754133
>One Piece
>better than Hunter X Hunter 2011
Nice try faggot.
>>
>>66753825
The Powerpuff Girls.
>>
>>66757590
HxH is shittley animated and has the shittiest supporting cast of ANY post 2000 shounen.
>>
File: animated shows.jpg (451 KB, 2010x986) Image search: [Google]
animated shows.jpg
451 KB, 2010x986
>>66753825
>>
>>66757587

It's a well executed fantasy adventure in the same vein as Moribito. No way you can think the average anime compares to Avatar.
>>
McCracken/Tartankovsky stuff is great:
>Dexter's Lab
>Powerpuff Girls
>Samurai Jack

There are a couple of other standouts too:
>Batman TAS
>ReBoot
>Hey Arnold
>Avatar TLAB
>The first season of Red and Stimpy
>Gargoyles
>Spectacular Spiderman
>Adventure Time when its not pandering to the retarded fanbase
>>
File: one-piece wall.jpg (249 KB, 1200x876) Image search: [Google]
one-piece wall.jpg
249 KB, 1200x876
>>66754276
What the fuck are you smoking?

Literally NO interesting villains, power-sets, or allies are introduced till Skypia and beyond, you idiot.
>>
>>66754276
shit tier opinions, familia

The only great arc in the first 100 chapters was Arlong Park. Then you've got shit like Gaimon, and the Loguetown arc getting rushed to hell so he could finish it by chapter 11

Alabasta, Skyeia, Water 7, Enies Lobby and Thriller Bark was where he really got to stretch his legs as a storyteller
>>
>>66754276
Everything up to Water 7 was good.

Dunno what episode that was
>>
>>66757710
>>66757783
Just read the fucking manga
>>
File: 1304137325652.jpg (77 KB, 400x547) Image search: [Google]
1304137325652.jpg
77 KB, 400x547
>>66757658
Steven Universe

couldn't do it, anon
everything about that show was so cringey
>>
File: su book.png (833 KB, 928x678) Image search: [Google]
su book.png
833 KB, 928x678
>>66757841
Only gets good after "Giant Woman", when townie Eps get less and less frequent and the main cast gets more development.
>>
>>66757706
>>Adventure Time when its not pandering to the retarded fanbase

So is it actually good?

I don't mind a certain level of wacky humour but it seems to have that same stigma Invader Zim had back in the day.
>>
>>66757820
u wot m8?
>>
Phineas and Ferb I don't hate, which is a little surprising given how formulaic it is.

catchy music too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KQXufk2C3M
>>
>>66757989
There are some standout episodes and there are some real duds, like most shows

The show itself is nowhere near as obnoxious as Invader Zim. I remember when /co/ was passing around the Cartoon Brew pilot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu-LgOdtZns
>>
>>66753825
how can animefags think their chinese cartoons are better than avatar? atleast every fight doesn't last 5 episodes with barely shit happening
>>
>>66758239
I watched about 20 episodes of Avatar before dropping it.

If you want a similar show, but better animated with less filler bullshit watch Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood.
>>
From anime, there are hundreds better.

From American series; Over the Garden Wall, The Maxx, Aeon Flux, Powerpuff Girls, Courage, Superjail, Samurai Jack, Batman: TAS, Ren and Stimpy, Sym-bionic Titan, Spectacular Spiderman are better.
>>
>>66757692
The average anything is always going to be terrible. But there's a shit-ton of anime produced, and Avatar gets surpassed by several of them each year.
>>
File: In_Honor_of_Mako.png (165 KB, 400x266) Image search: [Google]
In_Honor_of_Mako.png
165 KB, 400x266
>>66753825
The season 1 finale and season 2 of Avatar are probably the pinnacle of what we can expect from serialized western cartoons. World building, character building, coreography, humour and music were all completely on point.

Season 1 and 3 had some standout episodes, but there were some real clunkers too. And Korra turned into pure shlock.

Avatar felt like a very well realized shonen, but the westernized dialogue and humor make it stand out.
>>
>>66758621

The only ones where you might even be able to make the argument are Samurai Jack and Batman: TAS. But honestly neither one of them are better than Avatar simply because Avatar was written as one long very well written story with multiple character arcs and continuity, wheres most of the series you named are episodic. Also you forgot both seasons of JLU, which are legit very good, but not better than avatar.
>>
Samurai Jack is probably the best episodic show we're gonna get. Gorgeous art style, great direction and a really that dry Tartankovsky humor.

Avatar accomplished more with its story and characters though. Samurai Jack felt more like really great little vignettes.
>>
>>66759535
Really great music too
And I loved how long the show could go with no dialogue at all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGW1m6DZYKA
>>
>>66759342
Over the Garden Wall and Superjail s1 at least work on a formal level, the former is handed down from Fleischer school and the latter is a creative cartoony psychedelic trip. Avatar is just a dull and average-written shonen animated from some cramped up Korean sweatshop.
>>
>>66759342
Epsidic does not make things worse.

Avatar was shitty in a lot of ways, especially romances and the ending, but also way too often having character say how they feel instead of showing it naturally, and a lot of the conflicts were written in a very childish way. It's hardly a masterpiece.
>>
korra season 1 was really good. fell to shit afterwards

>tfw your waifu becomes a dyke
>>
>>66760975
1 had a lot of problems. Unlikable characters, shlocky romance, jarring use of cgi, fart jokes, a bunch of pro-bending shit that nobody cares about. It did have a bit more emotional oomph than the rest of the series though. I thought the finale was pretty ballsy (if you try and forget the last 5 minutes of it)

2 was pure shlock outside of the Wan story and the old-timey hollywood stuff. It really killed my desire to watch the rest of it. Bringing back Iroh with a new voice was in really bad taste.

Might get around to watching the rest of it eventually.
>>
>>66760975
The Wan story was absolute GOAT, everything else was meh, not bad, not good, just meh
The whole lesbian twist was pointless, although romance subplots as a whole are generally pointless imo
>>
>>66753825
Wakfu
>>
>>66753825
>>>/co/

leave retard
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.