[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>LMFAO magic is REAL xD xD xD People take this movie seriously?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 2
File: 1223435.jpg (44 KB, 780x319) Image search: [Google]
1223435.jpg
44 KB, 780x319
>LMFAO magic is REAL xD xD xD

People take this movie seriously?
>>
>LAMO I'M A FAGGOT
People take OP seriously?
>>
Its just science fiction m80
>>
Tesla is in dire financial straits, sees how gullible Angier is, and decides to con him out of some money. Tesla and his manservant manipulate Angier in a long con. They take his money and give him a meaningless light show with the Tesla coil. When Angier gets suspicious, they use a cat to lead Angier to the collection of hates in the field - all placed there by Tesla & co to trick Angier into believing that the machine duplicated them. After Tesla gets all the money he can out of Angier, he gives him the (useless) machine.

Angier realises he was conned and decides to try the same swindle on Borden. If Angier could con Borden into thinking an illusion was real magic, that proves Angier's superiority. He plots extensively, having lifelike dummies in tanks created, the "hats" of the routine, in the hopes that Borden would follow the trail as he did and draw the same conclusion.

When Borden is in gaol, Angier tries again to convince him by manufacturing a diary to support the story. Borden never buys it; he's too canny, and through the diary he sees how Angier was working the con.

When Borden's twin shoots him, Angier finally realizes the simplicity of Borden's trick. Angier considers trying to continue the con (imagining a story of him shooting a duplicate) but realizes he is dying and has lost, so he reveals (this is key) how his goal was always to make the audience believe in the magic and try and forget that it was only an illusion.

The whole movie was structured like a magic trick.
>>
>The greatest trick the Nolan ever pulled was convincing the world he was a competent director
>>
>>66744023
What about the part where Hugh jackmans character steps into the coil, steps out, sees himself inexplicably appear across the room, picks up a gun and shoots his double in the chest?
>>
>>66744084
The diaries are the basis of the narration and (OBVIOUSLY) the narrators are unreliable.
>>
Nolan trash
>>
>>66744023

Except the machine works. Which gives the movie a weird feel.

You either like it, because Nolan, just as a magician presents the obvious, leaving the audience in constant wonder what really happened. Or you hate it, because it dumbs down the great drama between the two characters.
>>
>>66744122
The machine doesn't work, moron.
>>
>>66744023

>2016
>still thinking there is a "prestige" to be found

The machine fucking clones him. End of story.
>>
>>66744154

This, it doesn't transport you. It makes a copy of you a small distance away.

That copy with all your memories, thinks its you.
>>
>>66744093
Bingo. Tesla built Angier's device, but the only two people's first-hand word we have for it being a "clone machine" are Cutter's and Angier's.

It was just a pretty light show, a diversion from the real trick that we never actually see performed, and Borden fell for Angier's trap before he could figure it out.
>>
>>66744093
That's a pretty weak argument considering your whole theory relies on the idea that the diary is fiction. Nothing else we're shown in the movie supports that idea either
>>
>>66744154

Are you clinically retarded?
>>
>>66744196
Not even Cutter is a reliable narrator, and the first words he ever speaks to us are "Are you watching closely?'

We weren't. He was in on it, too.
>>
>>66744173
Or it does transport you, but leaves a copy of you behind.

Either way is impossible in the real world, which is what makes it magic
>>
You didn't get the movie. Remember it's being narrated. There is no transporting machine.
>>
>>66744192

The tanks are full of dead Angiers.

The whole point of the movie is that Angier cant find a way to pull off the trick, so instead of doing it with "magic" he actually does the REAL thing, a real teleporter with the ansty sideffect of CLONING the person.

Thats the whole fucking message of the movie. Borden is the dedicated genius, inspired by this old magician he sees going in for a life-long con with his brother. But Angier diesnt have any patience, he wants everything, immediately.

Same with the presentation. When Borden does the transported man for the first time, its during his set of tricks in some old theatre. Couple of hundred people in the audience. Angier only cares about the presentation.
>>
>>66744338
We see one tank with a body in it, We never see bodies in the rest, Our minds like to think we did, though.

The essence of illusion.
>>
>le narration meme

Am i on reddit?
>>
>>66744367
And I'm going out on a limb here and saying the one body we saw was Angier's old double.

At its heart, this is a film about obsession. Angier's obsession with revenge elevates him to the same level of dedication Borden already had. When Angier died, he died as a true magician.
>>
>>66744367

Thats EXACTLY the point. Nolan presents the most obvious answer how Angier did it. With an ACTUAL working machine, yet the audience still wonders if there isnt something else.
>>
>>66744384
The machine did not work. Angier convinced Borden through the diaries that it did work. When Borden showed up to sabotage the trick again, Angier was waiting, recognized him and framed him.

This is pure 4chan, nigger.
>>
>>66744428

Angier was a cuck. Borden doubleteamed his wife.
>>
>>66744485

This would make sense if this was the only show Angier did, but it wasnt. He wasnt using a double either. So how did he transport back to the audience?
>>
>>66744472
I've wrestled back and forth with this, and the one sticking point I keep coming back to is:

If it worked, why wouldn't you just make one "permanent" copy?

That would have let Angier pull off the trick just like Borden always had been. I suppose you could chalk it up to Angier's ego and the fear of lost identity, but ultimately, the machine not working at all just makes more sense to me.
>>
>taking any movie seriously

The ones you are supposed to take seriously are called documentaries.
>>
>>66744524
>If it worked, why wouldn't you just make one "permanent" copy?

He was terrified by it. Something like this would question the faith of even the most god-fearing man during that time.
>>
>>66744508
That I don't know, but I'm still convinced that we never saw the actual trick performed. Borden did, and it was good enough for him to need to sneak backstage to see. I think that was Angier's plan all along - to craft one brilliant trick, hype it up to the point where Borden couldn't ignore it, then bide his time waiting for Borden to sneak backstage.
>>
>>66744338
Wait, is this even being put into question? I thought everyone understood this. Or is that other guy just acting like a humongous faggot?
>>
>>66744576
Yeah, the first time, sure, but what about the dozenth? If it really did work, he didn't get that calibration right on his first attempt.
>>
>>66743965
I was disappointed by the ending. I was hoping that the whole thing was an elaborate ruse but they went with straight up science fiction and I felt that given the rest of the movie that was a cheap and lame explanation for his trick.
>>
>>66744599
Go watch the ending. Tell me how many dead :"Angiers" you actually see. One on the ground(shot) and one in one tank(drowned?). All the rest are just water tanks that might or might not contain bodies.

I'm betting on not.
>>
>>66744524
His plan was to frame Borden for his murder so the clone needed to die every time
>>
If Nolan actually intended all that machine talk to be just narration that couldnt be taken serriously, why is it shown in such a way?

Its not even a matter of writing but actual directing. You dont show the viewer obvious facts only to imply it never happened.
>>
>>66744654
That or he found a better double and only killed him once.
>>
>>66744632

The actual twist is the Borden/brother reveal.
>>
>>66744673
Because of Angier's real talent: showmanship.

Of course, that means that Cutter also had to be in on it, too.
>>
>>66744673
Exactly, its not even implied that Angier is lying in his diaries at any point in the film
>>
>>66744740
But if he'd always intended Borden to read it, why would it hint at it being window dressing? The entire point of giving Borden access to the diary was to twist the knife even more, to give him a tale so fantastical that no one would believe even if he personally did.
>>
>>66744673
Watch Memento and say that again.
>>
Didnt Borden win anyway? Wasnt his brother also that Lord Coldwall or whatever who bought the machine and got official custody of his daughter?
>>
>>66744918

That was Angier.
>>
>>66744918
Borden "won" insofar as one of the twins lived. I've always thought of this movie as a cautionary tale about obsession. In the end, both Borden(s)' and Angier's obsessions destroy them both. That one Borden will live on, but he'll never have his brother back.

Oh, and Lord Caldlow(?) was Angier's real name. That's another instance of Angier actually successfully fooling Borden. Borden believed Angier was an American when he was actually an English Lord.
>>
>letting your wife die during a silly trick

What is it with Jackman and cuck characters?
>>
>>66745094
kuk
>>
Anything else noticed how Jackman is tryharding the entire movie, while Bale is just doing it effortlessly.

Talk about typecasting, kek.
>>
>>66744023
Theres no way that a coroner can not tell the difference between a puppet and a man. this theory sucks
>>
>>66745176
My twist on it is that it was his old double at the morgue, and with Cutter showing up to I.D. the body, who's to know any different?
>>
>>66743965
What are you even trying to say? There is no magic in The Prestige.
First there's all the tricks and illusions.
Then there's science.
The thing about the cloning machine is that it's supposed be some new technological discovery that can't be quite explained yet. Just like people 300 years ago probably couldn't imagine things like phone calls or video calls.

>>66744023
We see Borden go backstage, see Hugh Jackman fall into the water tank, and die. While the real one is still alive. He did that trick every evening. This is why all the people backstage were blind. Explain to me why Angier's double would even want to play a part in this, knowing he would die? And at the end he said look around you to Borden, because he wanted him to see all the tanks with the corpses, but Borden wasn't interested.

>>66745010
>An Australian playing an Englishman playing an American
>>
>>66745338
>An Australian playing an Englishman playing an American

It's Nationception!
>>
>>66744524
>If it worked, why wouldn't you just make one "permanent" copy?
He wanted to be the only star of the show
>>
>>66745407
Well, technically, t"he"y still would have been.

>ITT: we invent clone-specific pronouns
>>
>>66743965
the twist wasn't great, but it was lead up to pretty well and fitted with the overall punchline
>>
I've never understood the obsession with trying to take movie with fantastical elements and crafting elaborate theories on how there's nothing supernatural in them.

>There was no magic in The Prestige!
>The Babadook was all in her head!

etc etc

Do you all really think a movie being more "realistic" and "grounded" somehow makes it better?
>>
>>66745582
Only if it fits better with what you perceive the be the underlying themes.

Most people don't make these kind of leaps with "The Neverending Story."
>>
>>66745635
>perceive to be
>>
File: 132432454.jpg (83 KB, 1280x544) Image search: [Google]
132432454.jpg
83 KB, 1280x544
SAMTOIMES THE PIT FROWS SAMTHING BECK
>>
>>66745582
for me the point of the prestige to me was that there were two different approaches the magicians took

one was human focused and was trying to illicit joy and suspense, he was the "good guy" who followed magic for the love of it

the other wanted people to wonder and be in awe, he was aggressive daring and took increasingly greater risks to get a reaction from the crowd
he used science and gadgets, instead of making the ordinary magic, he brought things that were magic in themselves to people
in the end he lost the human element, and the revelation that he had in fact killed himself many times already was poetic

so I think we are expected to believe the machine in the end was not "magic", just some kind of mad scientific machine
>>
>>66743965
Best part was David Bowie to be honest famiglia.
>>
>>66745889
That's why I like this movie so much. It can be interpreted in so many different ways.
>>
>>66745923
Bowie kicked so much ass.
>>
They make a huge point about how when anyone shows you the trick then you don't like it anymore.

So the movie never reveals how this shit actually works.
There is a logical explanation but everyone would just be disappointed and say that they figured that out anyway.
>>
>>66745991
That's a really good point. And on that note, I'm off to bed. Nice talking with you guys!
>>
>narration doesn't match what's being shown on screen

absolutely WORST meme there is

try writing a book you hacks. This is not what movies are for.
>>
>>66746053
What are you talking about? The narration perfectly matches what's on screen - exactly what we're told, but is it the truth?

Again - Memento.
>>
>>66743965
Did you actually read the book this was based on you pretentious faggot? Because there was a SHITLOAD of magic in that one.
>>
>>66746094
I read it, and was really disappointed with the sci-fi angle, especially with the "split" Angier.

I have no problem with a director radically changing an author's story. Just look at "The Mist." I'm curious, though - has Nolan ever gone on record with how he intended the film's treatment of the subject to be interpreted?
>>
>>66743965
Did anyone actually root for Bales character in the movie? I couldn't stand the movies massive shitting on angier and I felt that the last 15 minutes of the movie were tedious after Nolan pulled like ten twists out of his ass.
>>
>>66746310
I rooted for the Borden that had his fingers cut off with a fucking wood chisel.

>dat dedication
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.