[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why did everybody hate this movie? It was pure cinèma.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 10
File: sunshine.jpg (770 KB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
sunshine.jpg
770 KB, 1440x900
Why did everybody hate this movie? It was pure cinèma.
>>
The third segment definitely took away from the nice eerie scifi epic theme it was going for but I see where you're coming from. It gets a lot of unnecessary hate and is one of my favourite space films, purely just because of a better combination of visuals and soundtrack than Interstellar.
>>
>>66715031
I didn't really understand it. How the fuck was the old captain alive and why did he go crazy? And how the fuck did they get to the sun Anyway? Isn't that shit like a billion degrees?
>>
>>66715683
gold and shit
>>
>>66715683
It's called science fiction. The gold plating shielding the actual ship or whatever was reflecting the heat to keep the them safe.

And I assume the old captain survived because the ship still had oxygen from the plants and there would be a lot of food left since he could also get everyone else's portions. He went crazy because he was a religious nut that believed humans were supposed to die this way, plus being severely burnt and alone for years probably fueled his insanity too.
>>
>>66715683
>How the fuck was the old captain alive
He killed everyone else and just chilled in the sun eating their food.

>why did he go crazy
Cracked under the pressure of being humanities savior or it's destroyer. The power created a god complex within him.

>And how the fuck did they get to the sun Anyway
Sci-fi magic heat shields.
>>
Basically what everyone else says, it collapsed in the third act.
>>
>>66715031
I DREAMED I WAS MISSING
>>
the gigantic tonal shift even if the plot development made sense thematically
>>
You literally can't find a better soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0UJk4EUzB0
>>
>>66715031

Everybody? I thought people loved this.
>>
>>66715996
No matter what people say about the plot of the film. It's soundtrack and visuals was fucking god-tier.

>"What do you see Kaneda?"
>>
>>66716027
Only on /tv/
Same for Master and commander, The Grey, Prometheus, Bone Tomahawk
No one gives a shit about these films outside of /tv/
>>
>>66715031
>hate

This movie gets a lot praise, you double nigger
>>
>>66715031
>sunshine makes noise in space
>it gets louder and louder as they get closer to the sun

/literally unwatchable/ general?
>>
>>66716367
Just because it can't be heard doesn't mean there is no sound.
>>
>>66716367

You do realise that the characters aren't hearing the sound in the film, it's metaphorical for the viewers
>>
>>66715031
One of my favorite movies
>>
Sadfu died for your suns.
>>
File: 1439480704032.jpg (63 KB, 500x493) Image search: [Google]
1439480704032.jpg
63 KB, 500x493
>tfw you knew about a third act shift in advance and could enjoy the movie fully
>>
Danny Boyle has a thing for turning his movies into slashers in the third act.
At least it was an actual crazy psycho this time and not a timid cuck asshole who suddenly turned into fucking Neo and killed trained professional troops. That ending really killed 28 Days Later for me.
>>
KANEDA
>>
File: gattaca-1.jpg (19 KB, 620x250) Image search: [Google]
gattaca-1.jpg
19 KB, 620x250
>>66715031
another pure cinema
>>
File: image.png (3 MB, 1242x2208) Image search: [Google]
image.png
3 MB, 1242x2208
>>66715031
>decent space flick that feels real but goes full on Sci Fi at the end.
>>
>>66716785
I bet she gives the sloppiest space blowjobs
>>
>>66717396
Don't talk about her like that.
>>
File: sunshine-465x319.png (154 KB, 465x319) Image search: [Google]
sunshine-465x319.png
154 KB, 465x319
>>
>>66715031
What are you talking about? /tv/ seems to like it mostly

I can't watch it because the scientific inaccuracy hurts my autism.
I can suspend my disbelief for the premise no I can't but when they start flash freezing in space I die a little inside because that's not how space works and it's such a cliche, dated inaccuracy it shouldn't be happening in a film from 2007
>>
File: 1440646723590.gif (458 KB, 500x282) Image search: [Google]
1440646723590.gif
458 KB, 500x282
>>66717613
>>
File: 1410147870874.jpg (64 KB, 680x646) Image search: [Google]
1410147870874.jpg
64 KB, 680x646
>tfw based Mace sacrificed himself for the mission
>>
>>66715031
its good until it becomes a damn slasher
>>
>>66715031
I loved it (I really like movies that feature 'crew on ship/craft that work together to save something'). Like everyone else says though, third act just comes out of fucking nowhere.
>>
>it's the only dream I ever have
>>
What did Kaneda see?
>>
>>66716101
People give a shit about Prometheus here?
>>
>>66719279
a big sun
>>
>>66718864
I love Chris Evans for the fact that this is the film he's most proud of. Mace was the truest hero.
>>
>>66715031
i laugh at how you expect us to take your word for it
>>
>>66719353
One of the few films I like Chris Evans in to be honest. I wish Danny Boyle would do more horror or sci-fi stuff. Perfect director for a new Alien film.
>>
>>66719353
one of the reasons i love the movie is everyone realizes the gravity of the situation and theres no bullshit oh we gotta save everyone for the audience to like us moments, mace and searle start suiting up cappa without a single thought once they realize theres only 1 suit in icarus 1
>>
>>66719305
It gets consistent threads here since its release 4 years ago.
>>
>>66717784
Would it help your suspension of disbelief if you stopped seeing it as a ci-fi movie and started seeing it as a modern fable full of allegories?

Basically, each character is an allegory for a different type of religion/spirituality/set of beliefs and dies accordingly
>>
>>66715031

it was garbage for faggots, sorry :(
>>
>>66717199
I watched this movie in high school psychology class
>>
>>66716043
>What do you see?
How the fuck was he supposed to respond to that? "Uh, it's really bright Searle and I'm getting a little hot, should've brought some sun cream :^(" fucking stupid
>>
>>66715996
This song gets overused so much, it kinda ruined the song for me.
>>
>>66721657
why didnt he say that? it makes sense that someone would say that.
bad writing i guess..
>>
>>66720073
Am intersted pls explain
>>
>>66721946
Alright, the next time someone I know is about to burn to death in hellfire, I'll give them a call and ask them what they can see.
>>
>>66715031
>cinèma
that's the wrong diacritic anon
>>
One of the most boring movies I've ever watched
>>
>>66722136
you do that, im almost 100% sure that they would give you that answer because it would make sense that someone would say that.
>>
>>66721657
I am seeing Sunshine!.
>>
>>66722122
Alright, I'll try to explain character by character (may take a while, english is not my native language). Also, some data come from the writer's scripts on the characters' backstories, and are not directly shown in the movie itself.
>>
>>66715031
I could swear this was a screenshot from Doctor Who
>>
>>66717784
who the hell flash freezes?
>>
>>66719321

4U
>>
>>66722359

go on pls
>>
>>66722359
thanks based anon
>>
>>66722359
No pressure, but this is the most I've been anticipating a post in a while. No pressure.
>>
>>66722602
harvey, when they eject into space and he misses the door
>>
File: This guy.gif (1 MB, 540x304) Image search: [Google]
This guy.gif
1 MB, 540x304
>>66722359
OP got me excited. Best delivery
>>
>>66722680
>>66722701
>>66722754
>>66722884
He probably left us boys.
>>
>>66722122
>>66722359

>Searl
He's the average monotheist religious believer. Practices his religion (symbolized by his time spent contemplating the sun) mainly for his own spiritual development. He tries to preach it to others but in a peacful way, without forcing them. He dies alone, but at peace with himself, contemplating the sun.

>Pinbacker
He's the other side of the coin to Searl's peacful and personal practice. He's the religious extremist zealot who can't accept other beliefs and has to convert people or kill them. His overexposition (both physical and symbolical) to his sun-god has altered and twisted him beyond recovery (again, both mentally and physically). He dies a brutal death within the sun, with his overexposition being the cause of his demise (burnt limbs)

>Kaneda
He's a Buddhist and stands for all the eastern religions/pilosophies. He acts as a benevolent and protective father towards the crew he's in charge of (paternalist Buddha figure). He's obsessed with what happened to the Icarus 1 crew (beliefs in fate, karma, and reincarnation). He dies to save his crew, without fear of death, and the heat wave that kills him may visually be interpreted as a white lotus flower.

(cont' ...)
>>
File: Rose Byrne Sunshine.webm (3 MB, 1280x544) Image search: [Google]
Rose Byrne Sunshine.webm
3 MB, 1280x544
So much sadness.
;_;
>>
>>66717199
Kek, just watched this in my human genetics class, very good.
>>
alright /tv/, how do you fix the 3rd act
>>
>>66722968
You're doing the Lord's work.
>>
>>66722968
This is...actually good !
>>
>>66723286
>the Sun God's work
>>
>>66722122
>>66722968

>Mace
He's the allegory of science. He's pragmatic and rational, always making informed decisions and leaving emotions aside. The one exception is at the beginning of the movie where he both looks and acts like a caveman (brawl with kappa) but quickly EVOLVES to become the modern, clean (shaved), and rational human.
He dies in the cold environment (in terms of temperature, but also cinematography) of Icarus II's technological heart, far from the warmth of any faith.

>Corazon
She stands for the worship of nature (animist/pagan/Mother Earth beliefs). She's on board to save Life and the Earth first, mankind comes second. She shows no remorse whatsoever to sacrifice Trey, but break in tears when ther beloved botanic garden is destroyed. She dies meditating in front of a small plant that survived the blaze.

>Harvey
There is one thing Harvey believes in : Himself. He's the self-centered and self reliant person that needs no other beliefs. In the backstories, he is said to be extremely intelligent and skilled, to the point where he could do Trey's, Cassie's or Mace's jobs at an equal level. He was also able to cheat psychological tests and hide his one true weakness : he's afraid to never see his wife again. He dies drifting alone, on the vast emptyness of space.

(cont'...)
>>
>>66722968
These are all pretty vague and generlised and cherry picking-y, but I like it anyway
>>
>>66723494
Please continue anon. Would like to hear others
>>
>>66722122
>>66723494

>Cassie
Cassie is the polar oopposite of Harvey : she believes in others, she's he Humanist. She's always the one showing the most concerns about others, the one bonding and talking about personal matters with Cappa, the one showing the most her emotions after Kaneda's sacrifice, and the one objecting to Trey's euthanasia, and requiring Mace to make things painless when she realize the inevitable. She dies trying to protect Cappa in order to buy him some time so he could save mankind.

>Trey
I reckkon I've always had trouble fitting Trey in this framework, but recently I came up with something, for what it's worth. I think Trey is the one who believes in nothing, not even himself. He doesn't trust Icarus II to do the flight modification calculus, but his insecurities make him botch everything. He doesn't even consider going on to be of any use after that and ends up removing himself from the equation, as if he had never existed.

>Capa
Capa is the open-minded, which could stand for Agnosticism. He's the neutral observer, interacting with all other sets of beliefs, acting rational at times but not in a stuborn and emotionless way like Mace. In the end, he's the only one who finally reaches transcendance and the dvine in his last moments (the scene where he gets to contemplate the reignition of the Sun is highly alegoric of that, and highly questionable from a scientific point of view, hence my initial suggestion in >>66720073 )

One final note about that : The sun stands for the divine and the object of religious worship in thi movie. It is the source of life, on both scientific and allegoric aspects. But it is also dying, a bit much like faiths and religions have faded in the last centuries. Basically, and this is a strictly personal interpretation, the message I get here is that no individual approach is the answer to mankind's spirituality crisis, we need a broader and more complete and inclusive approach. YMMV
>>
>>66724070

Based anon.
>>
>>66723515
I admit there are some approximations and a lot of personal interpretations, but watching the movie under the light of this framework, and not as a standard sci-fi movie has helped me a lot in appreciating it and glossing over both the scientific inaccuracies and what people refer to as the dreaded third act.
>>
>>66724070
Thank you anon
>>
also, here are some backstories notes for the main cast :
http://forum.rottentomatoes.com/topic/show/796932
>>
>>66724376
Fair enough, I'd say it's all justifiable enough to hold up, or at least to be worth discussing further
Going to screencap your posts for the next Sunshine thread
>>
>>66719395
Is this bait
>>
>>66717784
Aronofsky said he knew it's inaccurate but was attached to having freezing outside/freezing inside as a sort of unifying series of events/themes. He's since regretted the choice.
>>
>>66726504
**Fuck me, Aronofsky made The Fountain. Just replace it with Boyle.
Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.