[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I can't stop thinking in this movie. It is funny how well
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 6
File: descarga.jpg (5 KB, 184x273) Image search: [Google]
descarga.jpg
5 KB, 184x273
I can't stop thinking in this movie. It is funny how well it describes the process of stop being in love with someone. Sooner or later everyone becomes the same shit, over and over again.

So much feelings. Don't get married guys.
>>
As if its even an option.

And love is not real anyway.
>>
Only mistakes have bad opinions about marriage.
Rather than coming to terms with their parents being a bad match and in turn their very conception a fault, they rationalize that marriage and relationships are just bad.

It's really sad, parents don't think of the bitter adults they create when they marry people they don't really love.
>>
>>66710092
degenerate jew propaganda
>>
>>66710092
>>66710108
You guys really missed the point, I saw it a few nights ago and the beauty of it is what is really sticking with me.
>>
>>66710718
What is the point for you?
>>
>>66710745
It felt like a companion piece to Synechdoche, but with a more positive outlook. To me it all boils down to one of the best scenes in recent memory, when Anomalisa sings Girls Just Wanna Have Fun. It's easy to be cynical about a song that is ostensibly a poppy cash grab, but if you shift your perspective or the context of it's presentation, you can see that there is actual beauty there. If you'd like to talk more about it let me know, I've been itching to discuss in depth it since I saw it.
>>
>>66710092
Most women don't feel that way though, biology tell us that male duty is to fuck many female as he can, he falls in “love” with the one that fulfills his biological and psychological ideals, women wants to get fucked by alpha males BUT falls in love if he fulfills her psychological ideals, she doesn’t NEED to fuck more men .
This “love” ends after some period because men wants to keep fucking women and women don’t NEED that. Women can “love” you if you help her to raise her ideal of a family and persona, but men has to keep fucking all the women he can, that’s why men can’t be in “love” like women do, he is done with a women after sometime of fucking the same woman, the character was older and he was depressed too, one night of sex was enough for him.
>>
>>66710092
Not everybody stops loving/fearing God.
>>
>>66710942
I thought Girls just one have Fun was just another remark of how a simpleton Lisa was.

And I think that is part of the message of the movie: the beauty in simple thinks long less.
>>
>i had a bad experience
>don't get married, guys

not everyone is as miserable as you.
>>
>>66710092
fuck you
fuck you
fuck you
fuck you
>>
>>66711176
Not that simple, another important aspect of the movie is how we let ourselves be so rigidly defined by our biological imperatives that we ignore grand parts of reality. Underneath that largely superfluous complexity of relationships is the big question of whether or not love actually exists, and I think that this movie was definitely positing that it does.
>>
Adam, fuck off. Inside Out was a better, plugged-from-its-own-brain-farts animation and you need to come to terms with that.
>>
It's not at all about marriage or love, it's about growing tired of life in general.

The guy is depressed and cynical as hell, everyone talks the same, he's heard the same small talk bullshit constantly and interactions through life.

He thought Lisa, was an anomaly but after hanging out with her more she was just the same. Everything that bothered him about other people and how phony or samelike they all appear and all think and talk, is there in Lisa.

I'm surprised most people here don't understand that feeling.
>>
>>66711176
>biology tell us that

The only real thing human biology tells us is that humans have the capacity to function on a level beyond pure biological instinct.
>>
>>66711514
Thus

It wasn't a statement about how marriage or love are defunct or unreasonable concepts, it's more about the characters
>>
>>66711394
Right, you are trained to think of Lisa as a simpleton because she is a midwestern yokel who reads books with a dictionary at hand and whose favorite song is by Cyndi Lauper. But the point of the movie is that doesn't preclude her from being a goddess of heaven. And despite her appearances as simple, she was able to appreciate and recognize the reality of her encounter with Michael much better than he was. Michael was still completely lost at the end despite his ordeal,insulting a group of people who were there to celebrate him and giving his son a sex doll, while Lisa demonstrated a graceful beauty in the way she thought about what happened.
>>
>>66711176
>what is consciousness
Seriously, pretending like """"biology"""" means we're only superficially emotional and are basically lower than apes is a stupid meme harbored by narrow-minded people and it needs to die
>>
>>66711651
That is a nice way to see it.
>>
>>66711176
naturalist fallacy.
In some societies men fuck more women in order to secure their genes are passed on, in some women fuck more men so that each male doesn't know who the father is and they all support the offspring.
This can be observed in both humans and animals.

But humans are above animals, so it doesn't matter anyway.
>>
>>66711514
>>66711611
It is exactly about love. It's very easy to dismiss abstract concepts when they aren't directly affecting you, that doesn't mean that they don't exist. The love Michael expressed was genuine and true, even though he was three sheets to the wind and couldn't replicate the experience if he tried. The moment they shared was real, the love was real in that hotel room. The fact that they had varying degrees of appreciation and recognition of that love and drifted apart into the ether afterwards does not make it any less true.
>>
>>66711514
lisa was an anomaly because she hadn't had a lot of sex or intimacy due to her scars. Once she got a decent fucking, she was just the same as everyone else. Its basically lolita. What attracted him to her was destroyed by the ultimate expression of that attraction.

I kinda wish the movie had done more with the Fregoli delusion, which was the it's entire baseline, rather than just toying with it. But I guess kaufman didn't like how other directors have given him a reputation for layered insanity. Also doing too much with it it would've just been a retread of being john malkovich.

The movie also worked too hard to establish the source of his cynicism. By making him the most successful motivational speaker ever, or whatever, it literally meant most the people he'd encounter would be striving to be what he described the best person.
>>
File: 1429334536401.jpg (54 KB, 780x439) Image search: [Google]
1429334536401.jpg
54 KB, 780x439
this movie looks great but its so pretentious, awkward and cryptic that i really cant enjoy it. everything is a metaphor or a secret hint and they take it so far that its meaningless to watch the movie just for what is happening on the surface because its all just too random and unconnected.

call me a pleb but if what i see and hear is not in the least interesting i really dont care about the deeper meaning. every conversation and situation in this movie is awkward or leads to something awkward, its just unbearable to watch.

i like adaption and being john malkovich is fine too but synechdoche and this is just painful.
>>
>>66711694
Hard truth: Any meme that can stick to the narrow-mind is doomed to stick around forever, as most people are narrow-minded.
>>
>>66711812
>The moment they shared was real, the love was real in that hotel room

cept it wasn't, he deluded himself into thinking it was real when it was just an easy release and escape

Like most men who have affairs or middle life crisises they do impulsive things thinking it will make them happier but he knew threw his dreams and after hanging out with her, that she was going to turn like everyone else, like his wife

why do you think he became so disallusioned with her after he fucked her

everything she did after he fucked her was annoying and samelike everyone else
>>
>>66711894
You did catch that he had a history of that, right? Hence the reason he tried to reconnect with the first bitch?
>>
>cuck is literally okay when a guy does it
/tv/ everybody.
>>
>>66711850
Lisa was an anomaly because of her voice, a completely random and in the grand scheme of things insignificant detail that attracted Michael to her. He didn't even see her, her scars, or learn about her sex life before he was desperate to be with her.
>>
>>66711951
its because men aren't considered anyone's property
>>
>>66711812
Nahx it was because they had sex, so the superficiality of their relationship no longer held up, and he went back to being a cynical asshole

Still, I didn't mean that love wasn't in the movie, I just meant it wasn't the "message"
>>
>>66711989
No.
>>
>>66711963
>because of her voice

... yea, the way Tom Noonan's voice eventually replaced lisa's should have indicated to you the difference between lisa and everyone else was entirely in michael's head, and the voices were used to express to the audience the idea that what/how lisa was talking is what was different, rather than just the sound of her voice.
>>
>>66711894
The fact that he was mostly a miserable piece of shit, acting on impulse, and was drunk as fuck does not detract from the love that they shared for that one night. Their interaction was authentic and genuine, and they both reached out and expressed love for one another. It doesn't matter if Michael immediately proceeded to fuck it up by proceeding to fall into his patterns of disillusionment.
>>
>>66712073
>love is a one night stand

thanks /tv/
>>
>>66712046
And the final scene where Lisa still had her own voice and was expressing how she still felt positively about the experience should have indicated to you that there is more to the movie than exploring one man's depression.
>>
>>66712079
Does love exist? If it does than why can't it be expressed during a one night stand?
>>
>>66712073
>have wife and son
>"oh poor me, I'm better than everyone else, where is the special snowflake qt that i deserve"
>"oh wow this girl is everything I want, I think I'll abandon my family to spend the rest of my days with her in pure, unchecked bliss"
>fuck her
>"oh nvm, I guess she's stupid too."
>leave
>"oh poor is me, I'm better than..."

Yeah, sounds like love to me
>>
>>66711983
The message goes beyond how one fucked up individual feels about a good experience because he is unable to shake his negative perspective.
>>
>>66712112
Because he wasn't around. Her friend had a normal face as well
>>
>>66712197
Again, that is you being cynical about the encounter. Just like Michael was when he sobered up.
>>
>>66712232
Yes. Maybe try thinking about why.
>>
>>66712112
Compare that to the letter from the other bitch.

The difference, again, is what is being said and how it is being said rather than just the voice. The voices were just an illustration of that.
>>
>>66712234
>just like michael
In other words, it's exactly what happened. Of course tgere were positive emotions during the encounter, but his meeting with Bella in the beginning shows that his behavior is a self-serving pattern
>>
>>66712257
...because he wasn't around
>>
>>66712298
>>66712343
No, the difference is that it's the only time that we are not inside of Michael's head. If you can't see the significance of the change in perspective then I don't know what else to say.
>>
>>66712416
>we're not in michael's head while he's reading a letter from lisa

At this point I'm just embarrassed for you.
>>
>>66712313
I'm glad that you are the authority on exactly what happened. Being another link in the chain of self-serving self-destructive behavior of Michael's does not preclude him from experiencing genuine positive emotions like love. The encounter had an inherent significance and beauty despite Michael's inability to appreciate it.
>>
>>66712474
We are seeing the writing of the letter from Lisa's perspective, illustrated by her change in voice and her friend's face. Save your embarrassment.
>>
>thinking you were supposed to sympathize with Michael
>thinking he was in love with Lisa
>>
>>66712638
You're dead wrong on both of those.
>>
>>66712416
That's what I was saying you fucking autist

He wasn't around, so it was no longer from his perspective. I don't understand why I would have to explain that to you
>>
>barely literate autistic person watches heavy subtext movie
>misses most of the subtext
>defends his incorrect interpretation for hours

4chan
>>
>>66712683
[citation needed]
>>
>>66712707
>The difference, again, is what is being said and how it is being said rather than just the voice. The voices were just an illustration of that.

I was trying to show how the ending was not from Michael's perspective and its significance. I didn't get whether you were helping or trying to refute that.
>>
>>66712514
Are you going to continue rewording my posts while thinking you're disagreeing with me, or actually contribute?

Feeling love =/= being in love. Saying he "was in love" for a night is nonsensical, what is traditionally considered to be "love" lasts longer than that. Given his change of heart after physicaly intimacy, it shows his emotions from the prior night to be boyish, though that doesn't mean the emotions weren't real, just that they weren't reasonable (yes, emotions can be reasonable or unreasonable, don't meme me on that). How many more times are people going to have to explain this before you understand that you are basically agreeing with them?
>>
>>66712751
>>66712771
>Calling people autistic while claiming they have the objectively correct opinion on a work of art because they are smart enough to pick up on all the subtext

Self-loathing projection
>>
File: retard alert.png (3 KB, 158x93) Image search: [Google]
retard alert.png
3 KB, 158x93
>>66712920
heh, nice try, bub, but those are two different posters
>>
>>66710507
>It's really sad, parents don't think of the bitter adults they create when they marry people they don't really love.

THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS
>>
>>66712893
Are you going to continue being a condescending fuckwad or actually engage it what I'm saying?

Your rigorous attempts to define what love is show what side of the debate you come down on. "What is traditionally considered 'love'" is shown to be a miserable experience in the movie without a proper appreciation of it. And I'm glad you have such a handle of emotions that you already discount an argument against defining them as reasonable or unreasonable before I even put it forth. Please explain to me how that one night in the hotel room could not possibly have been one of (if not) the most significant experiences of love and intimacy that both characters had had in their entire lives.
>>
File: 1303002359702.jpg (123 KB, 851x719) Image search: [Google]
1303002359702.jpg
123 KB, 851x719
>>66711394
>the beauty in simple thinks long less

Go back to whatever foreign shithole you came from until you learn to speak English in a way that makes sense.
>>
>>66712771
Be cynical about it all you want, but if you don't sympathize and empathize with Michael and think it's impossible that the characters could experience love because of an arbitrary time limit then it says a lot more about you than anything else.
>>
>>66713181
I think it's impossible that the characters could experience love because Lisa's voice was literally the only reason he "loved" her and he left her as soon as her voice changed, even though she was literally the same other than that
>>
>>66713119
>he keeps missing the point this much

I'm out
>>
So, /tv/...was Lisa the sex doll?
>>
>>66713218
You are taking the voice thing too literally. Lisa's voice was a representation of an ethereal and immediate attraction to someone that you cannot explain.
>>
is there a hd version out somewhere?
>>
>>66713230
You're missing the point. Have fun out there in a sea of Tom Noonans.
>>
>>66711694
I'm not saying we are ONLY superficially emotionals, I'm saying we are biological beings, you can CHOOSE not to do this things or SUPRESS them, that doesn’t mean they are going to disappear.

>>66711803
It doesn’t change what I said, in such case women is not fucking more men because she has the biological need to do it, but don't go any further, supposedly men produces 1,500 sperm a second but women only produce one egg per month, that’s the basis for my previous post.
>>
>>66713281
>Lisa's voice was a representation of an ethereal and immediate attraction to someone that you cannot explain.
And it disappeared after less than a day. Ever hear of infatuation?
>>
>>66713333
Yes I have. Have you heard of people falling in love at first sight? Or not knowing specifically why they love someone at first?
>>
File: Classy_Tipper.png (703 KB, 522x579) Image search: [Google]
Classy_Tipper.png
703 KB, 522x579
>>66713305
>he finds a way to get the movie to make him feel superior to other people

Ah, now I understand why you were having a hard time picking up on what I was saying
>>
>>66713382
>Have you heard of people falling in love at first sight? Or not knowing specifically why they love someone at first?
Yes, in fiction and divorced couples.
>>
>>66713422
>Using memes and insults in order to deflect and avoid engaging for fear of coming off poorly
>>
>>66713442
Yeah, love is a fairy tale huh? Good thing you've figured it out.
>>
>>66713538
Love at first sight is a fairy tale.
>>
>>66711852
>I didn't like the film because director didn't treat me like an idiot and didn't serve in-depth interpretation on a silver platter and I'm too lazy or too dumb to make any effort
>>
>>66713558
Categorizing the inherently irrational act of falling in love based on the length of time you've known the other person is ridiculous. If you want to argue love isn't real, then fine, but to say that it does but it can't happen immediately rings false.
>>
>>66713558
Good luck trying to explain that to him over and over
>>
>>66713755
>>66713747
Care to actually engage? Or are you content to just fling shit from the sidelines?
>>
>>66713747
>knowing someone has absolutely no role in falling in love with them

I think you're getting dumber as the thread goes on
>>
>>66711176
this
>>
>>66713838
>Strawman argument that once again doesn't engage in the discussion

I think you're getting more pathetic with each post
>>
>>66710092
Honestly this movie looked retarded
>>
>>66713968
DUDE PUPPET SEX LMAO
>>
I'd love to get a good copy of this, since it never came to a theater near me. My favorite actress voices in it.
>>
>>66714065
I've always been slightly lukewarm on her (but always appreciated her acting ability), but between Anomalisa and Hateful Eight I'm really coming around. I'd be surprised if you don't love it.
>>
>>66710507
Nigga you hit the nail on the head. But people just don't know how to not fucking have kids.
>>
>>66711529
Probably the most pithy and relevant 4chan comment ever.
Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.