[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>story set in fantasy land based off dark age europe >character
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 5
File: 641613531515.jpg (32 KB, 636x365) Image search: [Google]
641613531515.jpg
32 KB, 636x365
>story set in fantasy land based off dark age europe
>character makes a reference to a new world vegetable

Can anyone explain this bullshit to me?
>>
Bravo tolkien
>>
>>66656752
Quote please.

book mentions a train in a simile... bad moved.
>>
>>66656752
What's the problem with having potatoes?
>>
Yeah, it's called fantasy. I forgot elves, dragons, and dwarves lived in medieval europe.
>>
>>66657981
what?
>>
>>66656752

I think they had potatoes in ireland?
>>
>Dark Ages Europe
>Bilbo has a clock and a pocket watch

Fucking retard

>>66658196

No.
>>
Bilbo got mail delivered to his house.
>>
>set in a fantasy land

Need answers to any more questions, m80?
>>
>>66656752
I don't see the issue. It's a fucking vegetable. Potatoes have been found in sites dating back to prehistoric man.
Your thread is bullshit.
>>
>>66656752
>it's an OP is retarded thread
>>
>>66658196
How many potatoes does it take to kill an irishman?
None.
>>
>>66658219
>can't grasp that it's a fantasy movie, and not the true history of England.
>>
>>66656752
>fantasy means NOTHING LIKE EARTH
K
>>
>>66658364

I was calling OP a retard. It's obviously not supposed to be the Dark Ages.
>>
>>66658435
ma bad, anon. OP is a retard, as am I.
>>
>>66658196
They didnt until the founding of the New World. Before that Ireland grew wheat like much of the world. Wheat must meet certain conditions to grow properly, if not then it dies or you have a poor harvest. Potatoes can practically grow everywhere, especially the rocky soil of the highlands and Ireland.
>>
Why are there never any black people in fantasy? Or Asians?
Why do fantasy races always consist of white people, little white people, big white people, and then mutated white people (orcs, goblins, etc)?
>>
>>66656752
Why didn't the eagles just fly Frodo to Mordor?
>>
File: easterling1.jpg (23 KB, 500x210) Image search: [Google]
easterling1.jpg
23 KB, 500x210
>>66658520
These guys were obviously shitskins.
>>
>>66658620
He didn't have any potatoes to give them.
>>
>>66658520
I know this is just bait, but you shouldn't simply say "fantasy". It's a very large genre. What you're referring to is typically called high fantasy.
>>
>>66658361
that's offensive, please delete
>>
>>66658101
This.
>>
>>66658520
why would anyone fantasize about black people?
>>
>>66658869
My wife does it all the time.
>>
>>66658899
You mean you fantasize all the time about your wife fantasizing about them all the time.
>>
>>66656752
Wish I could see your reaction when you get to the part with a ring that makes people invisible
>>
>>66658767
Oh yeah, I forgot about that.
I'm not much into high fantasy anyway, maybe I don't get it.
And maybe I'd like Urban Fantasy because I love Gargoyles.

I only asked because Ty Dolla $ign looks like an evil wizard and I think it'd really be cool for him and Sage the Gemini to be in a movie together where they play warring wizard brothers.
>>
>>66658699
>Canon that there are shitskin humans that have fallen to Sauron
>Happy multikulti town consisting of 80% shitskins in the Hobbit
>>
Reminder that Tolkien said pipeweed was part of the Nicotiana genus, which makes zero sense for the lost, mid-period of Earth that Middle-earth was supposed to be.

Based Jackson implied it was cannabis, which makes way more sense. Blaze that halfling leaf.
>>
>>66658219
It is mixed periods. Clock is Modern Age but swords and armor are from all Middle Ages.
>>
Only thing that really bothered me is Middle Earth seems to use the Gregorian calendar
>>
>>66659576
>chain mail
>no plate

Peter Jackson might as well have introduced firearms.
>>
>>66659281
>fantasy book
>can be whatever the author wants
deal with it familia
>>
File: bait of the centurion.jpg (21 KB, 540x527) Image search: [Google]
bait of the centurion.jpg
21 KB, 540x527
>>66659612
>>
>>66658520
There were blacks in the LOTR but they didn't get much action. Just another allies of evil Sauron hordes.
>>
>>66659612

He did this since The Hobbit. I remember flicking back through the pages as a child because I thought I'd caught Tolkien out, but the months made perfect sense.

Honestly I'd prefer using standard English months (even if they're named after gods) to nonsense like "it was the Fifth of Turdas in the Third Age". Plenty of English-language words come from people and places in the real world, Tolkien hit a good balance.
>>
ITT: history plebs

>They were the most common type of watch from their development in the 16th century until wristwatches became popular after World War I

Tell me again how clocks are a "modern" technology?
>>
>>66659697
This post was about pocket watches btw
>>
>>66659697
Middle-earth really doesn't feel like the 16th-century at all.

Again, lack of plate armour, lack of gunpowder. It was more like 14th-century England with a few comfy anachronisms (post offices and such).
>>
>But it's fantasyyyyy

Would you have supported the hobbits taking a taxicab to mordor?

No, that would be stupid. It would take you right out of the world and you would have thought the story was some farce.

So how is this any different? Yes, it is a fantasy world and you can have potatoes and taxis, but if the original goal of the books was to create some uniquely anglo-saxon myth, then why have these anachronisms?

Tolkien really dropped the ball
>>
>>66659697

>from the 16th century
>Dark Ages

Are you retarded?
>>
>>66658101
This.
This is a world where golf was invented by hobbits, meat's back on the menu, and locomotives are used to compare shit.
>>
>set in dark ages europe
>everyone isnt dead from cholera and the plague

dropped
>>
>>66659833
The green dragon is a pub.
Pubs serve food.
Hence menus in middle earth
Menus are not a modern invention.
>>
>>66659973
Yeah, I probably should've mentioned dwarvish medical discoveries instead, but the meat thing sounded it bit better.
>>
>>66656752
It's not Europe, its a magical land were people speak modern English, there's dragons, and elves, and magic and shit.
Oh yeah and some New World vegatables.

Also potatoes, while probably originating in South America, are also found native in Oceania and parts of Asia.
>>
>>66659839
What do you think they were trying to stop?
>>
>>66659688
That's exactly what I like about Tolkien, and what I hate about most fantasy that came after it.

Tolkien wasn't afraid of using modern or real-world terminology in his series, and it effectively grounded it.

Pick up a random fantasy book, and half of the words in it are made the fuck up.
>>
>>66656752
The same reason the Romans mention corn in their writings.
>>
>>66656752
>based off dark age europe
>not pre-peleolithic europe
>>
>>66659833
You're overlooking the underlying meta-ness of Middle earth. In universe it's Tolkien translating a copy of the red book of westmarch. So you can blame certain anachronisms on translation errors, or his embellishments.
>>
>>66660292
I overlooked it, but I didn't forget; just agreeing that new world terminology was a regular thing in the books. That self-insert format was brilliant.
>>
>>66658699
Easterlings are slav/mongoloid (actual turks)
>>
File: image.jpg (306 KB, 582x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
306 KB, 582x600
>>66656752
>tfw the three most important characters are all American (Frodo, Aragorn, and Sam)
>>
Was it ever explained why meat was off the menu in the first place?
>>
>>66660530
Saruman got a great deal on maggoty bread.
>>
>>66659281
>makes zero sense that a fantasy plant related to tobacco that potentially died out tens of thousands of years ago existed in europe
>>
>>66659688
It's actually canon that the people of middle earth don't speak English, but rather Westron (also referred to as the Common Tongue). Anytime anything in lotr is English it's simply the translation from Westron. The appendices at the end of the books go into a TON of detail about this. Including the actual names of their months etc. Tolkien chose to use English names for things because he wanted the races of Hobbits and Men to feel familiar, as to opposed to elves/dwarves which were meant to feel ancient and estranged.

<\autism>
>>
Is LOTR the last great film series we'll see without a shitskin in it for muh diversity?
>>
>>66659778
Let's just pretend the Elves stole all of the potatoes and brought them to Aman
>>
>>66662237
Yes, considering that the Hobbit sold out on Canon facts about the races of middle earth for muh diversity
>>
BOIL EM
MASH EM
STICK EM IN A STEW
>>
>>66659697
Because they were invented in thevEarly Modern Age
When I see people getting all aggressive about knowing more than someone else and theyre just blatantly wrong, I always have to wonder how they get by day-to-day in society. Nobody would willingly spend time around somebody with this mentality/attitude. Are you just an asocial shutin? Do you have friends? A job?
>>
>>66659778
It is about striking a balance. If potatoes are too anachronistic for you, you might have autism.
>>
>>66658314
>not knowing and embracing tubers
>>
>>66658899
kekitty
>>
>>66658899
John Green?
>>
File: 1454994805811.png (345 KB, 498x568) Image search: [Google]
1454994805811.png
345 KB, 498x568
>>66659778
>Tolkien really dropped the ball
>on fucking potatoes

I'm not joking do you have autism?
>>
>>66665274

I just think its odd how we have a man that felt the need to rewrite entire parts of his story so they accurately lined up with the phases of the moon but overlooks details like potatos in middle earth, however small those details are
>>
>>66656752
Because there is a "new world" in middle-earth.

You have Valinor where loads of the elves have been, and they took shit loads of stuff from there. And then you have Numenor where the Dunedain come from, and where tobacco comes from.
>>
>>66656752
If this shit was in the books it's pretty much justified considering Tolkien wrote the book in the dark ages
>>
>>66665888
>>66665891
>>66656752
>"Fans have noticed that potatoes are a New World plant, not native to the Old World setting of Middle-earth. The pipe-weed (another New World plant) is referenced as having being brought from NĂºmenor and fans have explored the possibility that this was also the case with potatoes.[3][4][5]."
>>
Fuck off with your "dark ages" myth, retards.
>>
Even if potatoes are a translation for native tubers, or potatoes were brought there from the elven americas, Sam makes a reference to fish and chips, a dish which couldn't have existed until well into the 19th century.

It's still a jarring anachronism.

Why didn't he just say, "I would sure like some fish and chips right now. Hopefully we pass a tesco soon"
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.