[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Watching this for half an hour now. Literally Exposition: the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 9
File: 515TFQ4C54L.jpg (38 KB, 331x475) Image search: [Google]
515TFQ4C54L.jpg
38 KB, 331x475
Watching this for half an hour now.
Literally Exposition: the movie

And people think thats a problem of the prequels
>>
Not Alan Smithee's best work.
>>
>>66651733
It is a problem with the prequels, they're supposed to be fun adventure films but instead they're soul crushingly boring. Dune being full of exposition isn't a problem since it's not supposed to be fun adventure.
>>
>>66651733
>a problem
The shorter list is what ISN'T the problem with them.

The problem with dune is that it's a FANTASTIC book. But if you want to adapt it, and do it justice, Lynch's version, minus studio fuckery, is about as good as you can get without turning it into action babby bullshit.

Some things don't need to be turned into movies unless you're just going to go completely bonkers like Jordorowsky's vision.
>>
>>66651850
Which prequels are we talking about?
>>
Yes, if one movie has a problem that means no other movie can have the same problem. That's how it works.
>>
>>66651733
it's bad
>>
>>66651837
What is the best movie directed by "Alan Smithee" anyway?
>>
File: David Lynch shiggy.jpg (162 KB, 1386x920) Image search: [Google]
David Lynch shiggy.jpg
162 KB, 1386x920
>>66651733
>watching the Dune film
David Lynch has pretty much disowned this shit. He gave the studio a cut of the film that was around three hours long and they recut the film without him.
>>
>>66651913
I assumed OP is talking about the Star Wars prequels.
>>
File: 1431733664977.jpg (58 KB, 600x608) Image search: [Google]
1431733664977.jpg
58 KB, 600x608
>>66651894
>>66651984
>tfw we'll never get a director's cut of Dune
Universal has asked David a ton of times to do it but every time he has said no. He really wants to forget this movie ever happened.
>>
>>66652316
There are some pretty passable fan edits. Kind of hard to find though and are never higher than 720p in quality typically, but still.
>>
>>66652316
Pretty sure the 3 hour workprint cut is as close as you get.

Otherwise look for the spicediver fanedit. It's on the pirate bay.
>>
>>66652316
he has said the filming of dune was the worst time of his life
>>
>>66651850
But the prequels are full of action
>>
>>66653262
>But the prequels are full of action
They really aren't though. Attack of the Clones, and Revenge of the sith, are both chock full of fucking nothing. They have some good set pieces, but its connected by scenes of people walking in a hallways and having boring conversations about more interesting things.
>>
>>66652025
Ah, for some reason I thought he was talking about the prequel novels written by the hack and son.

Dune is definitely less action-y than Star Wars, but that isn't a bad thing. They have different stories to tell. Dune is more concerned about the political intrigue at the heart of a galactic empire.
>>
But world building really happens only with conversations, narrators and loud thinking.
>>
>>66653837
>the prequel novels written by the hack and son
I just finished the Herbert books and the difference is absolutely jarring. I really think they misunderstood The Golden Path. I really don't think it was about stopping Androids and AI that really doesn't fit with the message and philosophy Herbert builds. I always felt like TGP dealt with humanity transcending beyond humanity over hundreds of thousands of years.
>>
>>66654055
It's more about Leto II being so oppressive that he instills rebellion into humanity and causes dispersion among the stars so no groups like the BG sisterhood, space guild or Tileux can herd humanity onto a determined course. It's why he wants to nullify prescience and develop no-ships. The whole external threat thing is a part though.

As a more general thread point Lynch's version is shit. Why replace the weirding way with the worst looking lazer gun design I've ever seen? And why make a sisterhood that thrives on their members sexuallity bald uggos? And why make the mentats look so retarded? The only decent hinge the movie brought to the table were the guild navigator and Patrick Stewart as Gurney
>>
>>66653262
Revenge of the Sith is the only one that's action packed. The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones are painfully dull, the lightsaber duels are the only parts that aren't sleep inducing.
>>
>>66653262
Most of the action is very boring though.
>>
OP here. Finished the movie.
You really couldn't make a movie like this today.
Fucking muslim propaganda. The Djihad was a success and will bring peace to the universe crom now on?!
There are even little girls in Burkas killing for their believes.

I don't know what the books are like but this movie was a trainwreck.
First hour nothing happens and people talk all the time and then the second half is just rushing events and you don't really realize what happens when and how paul actaully becomes the Fremen leader.

7/10 still miles above hackbrams force awakens
>>
But would jodorowskies dune have been better?
That guy was literally bonkers
>>
>>66655838
It would have been a pretty cool psychedelic space fantasy movie, but would have had very little to do with Dune.
>>
>>66655582
>First hour nothing happens and people talk all the time and then the second half is just rushing events and you don't really realize what happens when and how paul actaully becomes the Fremen leader.
That's literally the pacing of the book. About 2/3 of the way through, there's a time-skip of a couple years. It basically goes straight from Paul becoming a Fremen leader to him having united all the Fremen into a fanatical army poised for a final battle with the Emperor's army.
>>
>>66656000
Nice triples mate!

So is the film just the first book? How does the story evolve? I've heard that it is kind of like in Star Wars Episode VIII where they discover that Anakin isn't the real chosen one but just a product of dark magic that forced the force to do this. And the real chosen one is Rey who was created by the will of the force?
Anakin=Paul?
>>
>>66655582
In the book the Jihad is actually acknowledged as bad. Paul struggles within himself to find a way to simultaneously not die and prevent the Jihad. Unfortunately he finds them to be more-or-less mutually exclusive.

also, Paul, his mother, and his little sister are basically all manipulating the Fremen. They benefit from the maniuplation, but the whole 'doing it for muh beliefs' culture/religion was literally instilled in them thousands of years back so Paul could show up and take over/use them as a weapon.
>>
>>66654617
why didn't he just develop a FTL method that would allow people to travel long galactic distances without spice? Humanity doesnt need 1 million years of tyranny to want to spread out, they will disperse on their own eagerly and in great numbers if there is somewhere to go and some way to get there
>>
>>66656386
The second book is about Paul's time as Emperor, and becomes progressively more grimdark and political as it goes along. Eventually, Paul wanders off alone into the desert to die after being blinded by the flash of a nuclear weapon.

He doesn't die. He comes back in the third book as an insane holy man. His little sister has taken over after his presumed death, but has been driven mad as well, and has him murdered.

It only gets crazier from there.
>>
>>66651733
The Miniseries are better.

The Children of Dune miniseries are actually decent.
>>
>>66658273
Because people scattering outwards was only part of the plan.

He was trying to create an inborn psychic revulsion to the desire to be ruled. Not to mention the most important part of Leto's II's plan was to produce the "siona gene" which basically allowed to person to be "invisible" to prescience. If you're invisible to it, then you can't be trapped by it.

The whole point of the golden path was to free the universe from the shackles Paul's empire put on it, and made sure the same mistake could never happen again.
>>
>>66651733
>they take out all exposition in the movie
>anon instead whines "WAAA I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT'S HAPPENING!"
Dune has a lot of shit going on and it couldn't all be explained visually. There's nothing wrong with the way they chose to do it. You just have the attention span of a gnat and want action right now right now right now.
>>
File: madsen.jpg (32 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
madsen.jpg
32 KB, 320x240
>>66651733
Nothing wrong with spending some quality time with Virginia Madsen.
>>
File: based mcavoy children of dune.jpg (55 KB, 1023x773) Image search: [Google]
based mcavoy children of dune.jpg
55 KB, 1023x773
>>66658469
Only because of pic related
>>
File: Ghanima.jpg (33 KB, 486x620) Image search: [Google]
Ghanima.jpg
33 KB, 486x620
>>66658389
Don't forget twincest that gets ruined by leto II turning into a sandworm
>>
>>66657721
Thats cool. But this message is completely absent from the movie
>>
>>66658615
He helped a lot.

Julie Cox and Jessica Brooks where good in it too. But Saska Reeves was a better Lady Jessica.

Alec Newman really wasn't that great though with paul.
>>
>>66658504
Oppressing people typically has the effect of destroying social trust, which actually makes people easier to oppress. It's why cultures that have languished for a long time under tyranny or dysfunctional government tend to end up caught in an endless cycle of the same. The way to make people repulsed at the thought of being ruled is to spoil them with a great degree of autonomy. The textbook case being Britain's policy of salutary neglect accidentally creating America's obsession with freedom

As for making humanity immune to prescience, that's a solution to a problem that doesn't exist outside the books. Normally this would be fine as a scifi gimmick, but the way Herbert beat that theme to death over four books makes it tedious. No one asked for a four volume epic about solving a problem that no one ever had.
>>
>>66658625
>leto II turning into a sandworm
I was never sure, whether that was a brilliant move on Herbert's part, or the moment the series jumped the shark.

Dune IV was trippy and philosophical as fuck, but almost too weird.
>>
>>66658745
I always assumed this

Book 1 can be read as a stand alone
Books 1-3 makes a good trilogy story.
Book 4 is its own little thing.
Books 5-6 was going to be a 2nd trilogy with a 7th book, but Frank died too soon. The baddys in book 7 would be super-face dancers, not computers/AIs.

So Leto becoming a sandworm was a good way to end the first trilogy and move the series 10,000 years to let the golden path happen.
>>
>>66658843
I always preferred to view 1 and 2 as the complete story arc, followed by 3 and 4 if you still wanted more.

The last two had drifted too far from the original source material for my tastes. Still cool sci-fi, but not really Dune anymore.
>>
File: DuneAtreides.jpg (135 KB, 819x935) Image search: [Google]
DuneAtreides.jpg
135 KB, 819x935
>>
File: DuneHarkonnen3.jpg (566 KB, 2444x1044) Image search: [Google]
DuneHarkonnen3.jpg
566 KB, 2444x1044
>>66658939
>>
File: 8167249509_a4f79398e1_b.jpg (188 KB, 659x864) Image search: [Google]
8167249509_a4f79398e1_b.jpg
188 KB, 659x864
>>66658934
Well that is another way to look at it.

Will agree that 5-6 are not really the same books at the previous ones, though I love it due to the bene tleilaxu.

>Alia from the movie grew up so damn well.
>>
>>66659082
she's been blacked
>>
>>66659082
>Will agree that 5-6 are not really the same books at the previous ones
Of course not. It's showing the culmination of the golden path through the eyes of those entrusted to maintain it.

Each of the books is a pretty different from the others.
>>
>>66659099
Like I care if she has, she been with Ben Folds five lead singer for years.
>>
What is the essential dune core apart from the books then?
>>
>>66659244
>Ben Folds five lead singer for years.
You mean Ben Folds?
>>
>>66659320
Yea, that guy. Couldn't remember if his last name was fold or folds.
>>
>>66659398
I saw their reunion tour in '12. breddy gud.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.