[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So theres a whole bunch of movies made that sort of poke fun
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 9
File: they-live-15.jpg (124 KB, 1212x864) Image search: [Google]
they-live-15.jpg
124 KB, 1212x864
So theres a whole bunch of movies made that sort of poke fun at and satirize America, but are there any movies that do this for other countries? Not these hard hitting dramas about shit like Cambodia and its Pol Pot led genocide, but tongue and cheek movies that make fun of the silly things in that culture or country
>>
V for Vendetta pokes fun at Britain's Margaret Thatcher reign and modern minipulation of the media and its citizens. Im not entirely sure what you mean tho
>>
>>66649199
>Im not entirely sure what you mean tho

yeah, pretty much what you said. Just that, but with different countries like England or Russia or Germany or Japan ect. Movies made by people from those countries that satirize themselves
>>
>>66648959

Eurotrip hits every single European stereotype there is.
>>
File: AAFCA_logo-300x228.jpg (22 KB, 300x228) Image search: [Google]
AAFCA_logo-300x228.jpg
22 KB, 300x228
>>66649260
The first movies that would cross my mind are Robocop and Starship Troopers which satirize America, but the director is Dutch.
>>
>>66649327
>Starship Troopers which satirize America

Does it really? Its about Argentina and mostly about a quasi Fascist society more than America especially at the time.
>>
Can't remember any by name but I'm sure there is a ton of japanese films about that
I know abcs of death, one of the shorts is poking fun at japanese culture
>>
You can found some about colonialism about pretty much every big yuropeen country
Also there is that german movie about creating a fachist group in à school but can't remenber thé title
Something like die welle
>>
>>66649414
Are you crazy? The american government can and does manipulate the people just like in the movie
>>
>>66649414
>Does it really?
Yes. Like robocop its almost prophetic in satirizing the decade to come AFTER the movie was released.

Starship troopers is basically a satire of the bush administration and the war on terror before it even happened, while Robocop perfectly nailed the globalization, spectacle, and political correctness of the 90's.

I can only assume Verhoven is actually merlin, and is living backwards in time.
>>
>>66648959
bumping hard because i have no idea
>>
>>66649414
>Its about Argentina

During the opening it is set in a very Americanized Argentina, complete with American Football and the quarterback being the MC, but the movie is about the pro-war and dehumanizing propaganda machine of America.
>>
>>66649578
>The american government can and does manipulate the people just like in the movie

Thats a big long stretch there. Also assuming that America is literally the ONLY country that manipulates people or uses propaganda. If you think it was just "lol fuck america" you missed the point and might be too young to have viewed it with a pre-9/11 mindset.

People on the internet seem to think this was made in response to Bushes actions after the attacks, even going so far as pushing 9/11 conspiracies into the movie (the asteroid that destroyed Buenos Aires was an inside job!) despite the fact that the movie came out in 1997
>>
Cuban here, we love making fun of how crappy things are in the island
>>
>>66649199
What? The V for Vendetta movie is one "fuck you" to George W. Bush.
>>
>>66649698
What's the stretch? America did it to germans, japanese, communists and now muslims.

Having said that, the movie is about fascism in general.

And I saw it in theaters on release.
>>
>>66649864
I meant to say "one big "fuck you" to George W. Bush.".
>>
>>66648959
Trainspotting
>>
>>66649874
>America did it to germans, japanese, communists and now muslims.

literally every country did it to their enemies. I dont see the logic in singling out America specifically for dehumanizing the enemy. You think the Communist and the Germans and the Japanese and now the Muslims dont do the exact same thing?

>the movie is about fascism in general.

exactly. Its about a Political idea, not a specific country.
>>
>>66649874
Did WHAT to germans, japs, commies, and nega-jew?
>>
>>66649864
The book is from 1982, you dipshit.
>>
>>66650043
Brainwashing.
>>
>>66649864
>The V for Vendetta movie is one "fuck you" to George W. Bush.

The comic was all about the idea that Thatcher would led to a neo nazi Britain. The comic also did a pretty good job of showing how the big bad government was trying to keep order and how V was sort of a prick which makes the story more interesting than the movie
>>
>>66650100
So you're 15 then. I'll give you a life lesson. We're all brainwashed. We're domesticated primates, we're social animals. In order to exist and live in these social groups, our behaviors are informed by fitting into these societal norms.

Brainwashing is why civilization exists, it's nothing more than an external baseline by which we evaluate how to behave. Those who fail to properly adapt are either properly reeducated, or shunned.
>>
>>66650328
>So you're 15 then
>proceeds to make the most childish remark about brainwashing

You could have saved yourself the embarrassement and just googled what brainwashing actually is.

>Mind control (also known as brainwashing, reeducation, brainsweeping, coercive persuasion, thought control, or thought reform) is a theory that human subjects can be indoctrinated in a way that causes "an impairment of autonomy, an inability to think independently, and a disruption of beliefs and affiliations. In this context, brainwashing refers to the involuntary reeducation of basic beliefs and values".
>INVOLUNTARY REEDUCATION
>>
>>66650034

And Im reading some of the criticism of the book ( I havent read it) but it seems really pissy and bitching about nothing

>The supposedly racist aspects of Starship Troopers involve the Terrans' relations with the Bugs and the Skinnies. Richard Geib has suggested that Heinlein portrayed the individual Arachnids as lacking "minds or souls... killing them seems no different from stepping on ants."[50] Both Robert Peterson and John Brunner believe that the nicknames "Bugs" and "Skinnies" carry racial overtones, Brunner making a comparison with calling Koreans "gooks"[32]

Are these people honestly getting butthurt over a fucking military nickname for a fictional alien species?
>>
>>66650438

propaganda isnt really "brainwashing" because brainwashing as it exist in fiction is bullshit pseduo science.

But you are just talking about war time "us vs them" shit.
>>
A Serbian Film is actually a criticism about the strict laws of serbia, and how it fucks over people and the film indutsry (hence the main villain is a producer, and the line "You're fucked from birth").
>>
>>66650438
>INVOLUNTARY REEDUCATION
So you signed up to be a part of society? By the time you even have the cognizance or rights to make your own decisions the indoctrination is complete.

Hating the fucking germans during WWII wasn't brainwashing, its what happens when one tribal unit fights another tribal unit. You display a painful naivete about how you're somehow elevated above these municipalities because you can identify when they happen in other people. Know thyself, nigger. Recognize your own perceptual constructs, figure out how many of them are an organic offshoot of the self, and whats imposed by expectations.
>>
File: 379ch.gif (721 KB, 446x251) Image search: [Google]
379ch.gif
721 KB, 446x251
>>66650648
>STILL MISSING THE REEDUCATION PART
>>
>>66649864
how can people be this stupid?
>>
>>66650648

People see love of your country or patriotism or xenophobia or whatever as a sign of brain washing, so in response, they become oikophobes to be "smarter" or more aware.

youre talking to a wall trying to explain this shit to that poster btw
>>
>>66650695
No nigger, my point is that "Brainwashing" is just counter-programming. It only gets that jingoistic title because the only people who are "brainwashed" also happen to be people you disagree with.
>>
>>66648959
Terry Gilliam's Brazil for Britain
>>
>>66648959
The Castle (Australia)
>>
>>66650858
It Englanistan really that much of an absurd kafkaesque dystopian nightmare?

Than fuck for my right to bear arms.
>>
File: 1441482686574.jpg (240 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1441482686574.jpg
240 KB, 1280x720
Shimoneta
>>
>>66651099
kek
you know what
ill watch this now
>>
>>66648959
RIP in peace Rowdy Roddy.
>>
File: simmilar numbers in a row.jpg (17 KB, 307x371) Image search: [Google]
simmilar numbers in a row.jpg
17 KB, 307x371
>>66651155
These numbers are making me thirsty.
I didn't know he died :*(
>>
>>66651014
All the paperwork bullshit is spot on
>>
>>66651099
EXCELLENT satire
>>
>>66650091
>>66650103
>bringing up the comic
The Wachowski brothers didn't give a fuck about the comic. Alan Moore himself has said that they butchered his story and made it into "FUCK BUSH" bullshit.
>>66650723
You just called Alan Moore stupid.
>>
File: Tinfoil Hat Guy.jpg (13 KB, 182x350) Image search: [Google]
Tinfoil Hat Guy.jpg
13 KB, 182x350
>>66649578

Tell me about how Jet-Fuel can't melt steel beams.
>>
File: Alan_Moore.jpg (33 KB, 209x288) Image search: [Google]
Alan_Moore.jpg
33 KB, 209x288
>>66649199
>>66650091
>>66650103
>>66650723
http://www.mtv.com/shared/movies/interviews/m/moore_alan_060315/

>I've read the screenplay, so I know exactly what they're doing with it, and I'm not going to be going to see it. When I wrote "V," politics were taking a serious turn for the worse over here. We'd had [Conservative Party Prime Minister] Margaret Thatcher in for two or three years, we'd had anti-Thatcher riots, we'd got the National Front and the right wing making serious advances. "V for Vendetta" was specifically about things like fascism and anarchy.

>Those words, "fascism" and "anarchy," occur nowhere in the film. It's been turned into a Bush-era parable by people too timid to set a political satire in their own country. In my original story there had been a limited nuclear war, which had isolated Britain, caused a lot of chaos and a collapse of government, and a fascist totalitarian dictatorship had sprung up. Now, in the film, you've got a sinister group of right-wing figures — not fascists, but you know that they're bad guys — and what they have done is manufactured a bio-terror weapon in secret, so that they can fake a massive terrorist incident to get everybody on their side, so that they can pursue their right-wing agenda. It's a thwarted and frustrated and perhaps largely impotent American liberal fantasy of someone with American liberal values [standing up] against a state run by neo-conservatives — which is not what "V for Vendetta" was about. It was about fascism, it was about anarchy, it was about [England]. The intent of the film is nothing like the intent of the book as I wrote it. And if the Wachowski brothers had felt moved to protest the way things were going in America, then wouldn't it have been more direct to do what I'd done and set a risky political narrative sometime in the near future that was obviously talking about the things going on today?
>>
"¿Quién mató a la Llamita Blanca?" (Who killed the little white llama?) is a Bolivian movie, makes a satire of Bolivia, huehues, cartels and lots of other latin american countries. Its very well done.

Its pretty fun and, at times, pretty fucking experimental.
>>
Almost all of Kusturica (who is like never mentioned here)
>>
>>66649777

chiledude here, i liked a lot that cartoon about vampires.. Vampiros en la Habana i think it is. Also that zombie movie.
>>
>>66651014
>It Englanistan really that much of an absurd kafkaesque dystopian nightmare?

have you seen the ads of the "Watchful Eyes"?
>>
>>66652355
well watch this one, it's a classic
>>
>it's a "comedy movie from your country which tries to show how bad the government, people and culture are by trying too hard to be honest and eventually ending as too pejorative" movie
i hate these.
>>
For Germany it's Schtonk!.
It's about the media's obsession with the Nazis.
>>
come on, you dumb memers, share something from your countries. why interesting threads get so few replies?
>>
>>66654310
Because people on /TV/ don't actually watch or discuss movies or TV. They just get triggered by click bait articles and retarded tweets.
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.