[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some good documentaries? can you guys suggest me some?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 4
File: 1453683840656.webm (3 MB, 842x474) Image search: [Google]
1453683840656.webm
3 MB, 842x474
What are some good documentaries?

can you guys suggest me some?
Last one i watched was My Architect by Kahn's son
>>
>that wee bum
>women
>ever
>>
File: 1441993514061.jpg (132 KB, 1200x1593) Image search: [Google]
1441993514061.jpg
132 KB, 1200x1593
hot girls wanted
>>
based zizek
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0828154/
>>
>>66641347
>Empire of dust
basically the proof why black people must be hold at bay for civilisations sake.
>>
The Act of Killing
>>
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1391092/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2
>>
there is a good docu about sushi i cant remember what it was called tho but it makes u appreciate patrician chefs
>>
Man on wire is really good. Not overrated at all imo, it's tense and framed perfectly from my literary perspective. Pretty much a textbook on audience interaction
>>
>>66641691

Jiro Dreams of Sushi
>>
"Cancer: The Emperor of All Maladies" is well-made. It gives you an intermediate-level look at what cancer is what's being done to cure it.
>>
>>66641691
>but it makes u appreciate patrician chefs
I loved that doc, but I actually came away from it feel like Jiro was a total dickwad. He basically dedicated his entire life to sushi to the exclusion of his family.
>>
>>66642929
>>66641691

As far as a documentary which made me appreciate patrician chefs, I'd recommend El Bulli: Cooking in Progress.

Also, the Netflix documentary series, Chef's Table, was fantastic. Some of the chefs were total asshats, but overall the production quality was amazing.
>>
>>66641347
>that WebM
holy crap my sides
>>
https://youtu.be/DIWKNNer1Cc?t=1m17s
Non-narrated documentaries are the best tвн
>>
Jiro Dreams of Sushi, really changed my life
>>
>>66641347
>fuck math i want that bbc and be a single mom

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEe
>>
>>66641347
Absolute insanity.webm

Empire of Dust
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0C4_88ub_M
>>
>>66641347
>Luna is struggling with math
>this is because she has spent the last fortnight fantasizing about enlisted nigger dick in some highrise in manhattan

good work, luna
>>
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2hdcji
>>
League of Denial
>>
>>66641347
>few years before the casting couch.webm
>>
>>66643722
This one is very good, doesn't feel its length at all.
>>
Go watch "Harlan county USA
>>
>>66644561
Because it constantly pulls you between the Chinese and the Africans. The chinese guy will treat them like total shit so you feel bad for them, then the africans will act like total shit proving the chinese right. It goes back and forth.

Then the ending monologue happens and the african just sits there and accepts it, knowing the chinese are better than him, even if they treat people worse. It gives you weird feelings.
>>
Hearts and Minds
For All Mankind
The Fog of War
Grey Gardens
My Winnipeg
The Gates of Heaven
>>
>>66644667
Honestly I never really felt bad for the Africans. There's constantly some shit they're doing badly. The parts I remember
>the group of Africans working at the side of the road constantly bickering and talking to people driving past
>African who didn't count the tubes which were loaded onto his truck
>checking for gas/oil because Africans kept stealing it
>Chinese guy talking about how the big truck at the end was nearly useless after just 2-3 years of use and saying how in China that kind of truck reaches its peak performance when it's around 3-4 years old
It was just ridiculous. And then that ending part. I can't remember if it was the ending part or if it was before, I think it was somewhere in the first half, where the Chinese guy says how it's such a shame to see the tracks ruined and left behind, how it pains him to see the technology just left to 'rot'.
>>
>>66641347
>that webm

I LAUGH THEN I CRY
>>
>>66644874
Same. It both funny and sad that her dreams are so specific. Also, really damn unrelistic.

would be like my 15 year old self saying.
"I gonna stop working hard at school since I going to marry Alexis Bledel and be a stay at home dad. with our kids."
>>
>>66644811
Yeah the chinese guy looked honestly distraught at seeing how they fucked up their own country so hard. He asks the guy point blank who was there to build it all.
>"the belgians, but we wanted to be in charge so we told them to leave. We wanted a chance to be in charge."
The chinese guy asks how long ago that was.
>"50 years"
Just silence and sadness coming from the back seat.

Shit was strangely powerful for just 2 guys talking to each other. The chinese guy carries the shit out of the movie with honest emotion.
>>
File: let_the_fire_burn_xlg.jpg (538 KB, 1012x1500) Image search: [Google]
let_the_fire_burn_xlg.jpg
538 KB, 1012x1500
>>
>>66645191
The Chinese foreman was also a bitch though. It's like he was afraid of the black people.
>>
>>66642929
Every michelin star that his restaurant earned was done while he sat back and watched while his son did all the work. The entire point of the documentary was to show how ridiculous the whole Japanese system is. When Jiro dies everyone will trash the restaurant not because it wont be the exact same quality as before but because the son runs it instead of the father.
>>
>>66641347

That's why you need maths, kids.
>>
>>66645404
The foreman was the skinnier guy right? Yeah that guy definitely put a few layers of barriers between him and the africans. Probably not out of fear though, he probably just saw them as subhuman and not worth interacting with at all.

The guy calling the africans "knob heads" to their face was probably the most tolerant of the Chinese.

When the president or mayor comes to the town (and looks a totally different ethnicity) he doesn't even talk to the townspeople like equals like politicians at least pretend to, he talks to them like children that don't understand whats going on around them.

A great movie overall that probably could have been twice as long and still kept my interest. Bonus points for being free online like all documentaries should be.
>>
>>66641581
Its top comfy too
>>
>>66641347
what's this from?
>>
>>66642929
the whole point of the documentary was that Jiro's attitude had made his sons great sushi chefs, too

there was even that bit where they tricked all the michelin guys who came for their test meal while Jiro's son was running the place
>>
>>66642993
Chef's Table was done by the same guy that made Jiro i think.
>>
BARAKA
A
R
A
K
A
>>
Anvil: the story of anvil
>>
>>66641347

> Journalist in NY
> Making a living in 2016

Journalism is dead.
>>
>>66645586
>implying
You STEM fags are an insufferable bunch.
>>
>>66646214
more realistic goal should be become a buzzfeed "social media manager" and sharing an apartment with 4 people in a williamsburg adjacent adjacent adjacent apartment.
>>
>>66646335
If you want to be succesful you need to know maths.
>>
>>66645586
>>66646711
>>>maths
OI ITS SEVEN BONG
>>
File: ?format=750w.jpg (47 KB, 750x422) Image search: [Google]
?format=750w.jpg
47 KB, 750x422
>>66646711
>>
>>66646335
You must hate money.
>>
>>66646711

Nigga Google will answer any math problem.

Word spell checks and grammar checks for me.

I can use an app to translate anything.

Suri answers my science questions.

Math is useless along with the rest of school. Just give me an iPhone.
>>
>>66643142
Why, I couldn't watch more than 20 minutes, what am I missing
>>
>>66647022

most stem grads don't hold stem jobs
>>
>>66641347
I'm sure at least half of mher dream will come true.
>>
>>66647028
Yeah, actually last week I had a job interview for a position as an air traffic controller. I haven't even finished high school, so they asked me why they would hire me since the job requires advanced math. So I said "bitch, I have an iphone, I can just google that shit". Needless to say, I got hired on the spot.
>>
Literally everything by Ken Burns is patrician.

Except for Jazz, obviously.
>>
the subtitles don't even remotely synch up with her mouth movements you idiots
>>
>>66647157
most stem grads hold a mcjob. at least they don't need the cash register because they can do the math themselves, lol.
>>
>>66641347
Paradise Lost trilogy

that shit will give you nausea
>>
>>66647436
That's because the clip's in German, Brainiac.
>>
>>66647436
it's german f4m

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anx6jMNHLFc
>>
Kazuo Hara is amazing. Goodbye CP and The Emperor's Naked Army Marches On are some really good cinema verite style docs.
>>
>>66647341
Most real jobs don't need math

Computers were invented for this shit
>>
>>66647572
>735 dislikes
>those comments
KEK
>>
>>66645049
how is your 15 yo self wanting to marry Alexis Bledel similar to a 13 yo girl wanting to marry a nigger and be a single mom
>>
>>66647751
Rather sure anon was referring to being a journalist in New York.
>>
>>66647751
Was referring to planning my life to marry alexis bledel was about as much chance as her being a Journalist in New York.

Being a single mom, sure that easy.
>>
>>66641581

10/10 would recommend

genuinely good watch too as well as interesting
>>
>>66641347
Jesus Christ, just send the asteroid now. We're done.
>>
>>66643071
I agree. The only personality I like for docs is Louis Theroux.
>>
>>66647052
the commitment to something like creating food to that extent just inspires me, its how i want to be with art
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.