[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So why did Robert take HIS ENTIRE FAMILY to the Starks home?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 6
So why did Robert take HIS ENTIRE FAMILY to the Starks home? Does the book explain this? I understand him taking his wife, kinda, but did he really have to bring the midget, joffrey, the guy who fucks his sister too? I just don't understand this.
>>
I take my entire family places all the time. It's one of the perks of being super wealthy and powerful.
>>
>>66628167
why wouldn't he?
>>
He did it as a show of force. He hadn't seen ned since the rebellion, so 10ish years.

Had he just wanted to summon ned, he could have sent a raven.
>>
>>66628225
Well explain why he does bring Tywin Lannister too?
>>
>>66628273
Tywin was in Casterly Rock
>>
>>66628273
Also he fucking hated Tywin (in the book)
>>
>>66628167
Are you really that stupid?
>>
>>66628167
Joffrey went because Robert wanted to arrange a marriage between Joffrey and Sansa

Jaime Lannister went because he was the captain of the Kingsguard

Tyrion went because they needed some patsy to go and visit the Night's Watch on behalf of the king
>>
>>66628798
The Queen went for obvious reasons, but the small kids also went because she refused to leave them at home
>>
File: marco_s1_012_h.0.jpg (42 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
marco_s1_012_h.0.jpg
42 KB, 640x427
>>66628167
>you will never live in a kingdom jointly ruled by Robert Baratheon and Kublai Khan
>no wars or scheming because all they want to do is feast, party, fuck and make friendship
>>
You're probably not aware because most modern day monarchies meaningless or in Thailand's case stuck worrying about a coup every other year, but it was quite common practice for monarchs and their households to move about their territories. Visiting cities within your territory reinforces fealty, shows the lower rungs of society how top of the shit you are with your expensive ass procession, keeps you and your multiple thousands of mainline and secondary family members, outlying court personalities, and all of your servants from sapping all the resources of the capital. Latter is in your best interest to share with other nobles because eating all their shit keeps them from having the resources to rebel against you.
Notable case of this practice being inverted is visible in Japan's feudal age. Emperor would juggle outlying nobles in and out of court, the act of bringing a giant, flamboyant entourage with you on a thousand mile journey every other season would make sure you didn't have much money left to start any trouble against said emperor.
>>
>>66628167
Kings tour the kingdom. It's what they do. You bring the family to build trust and unity. It's not like Vacation, where it's great for the family. It's a political move. Introduce possibly wed kids. Shit like that. Don't think that much into it.
>>
>>66628167
dont you got a famfam OP? you fucking loser
>>
>>66629177
Very interesting. They called it going in progress in the UK, and it was held in the summer time. Nice trips.
>>
>>66628167
jamie is his bodyguard
>>
What ever happened to /gotg/?
>>
>>66631511
THIS IS /got/
>>
>>66628798
>>66628996
This.

You don't ask an old friend who helped you win the Throne to be your Hand over a raven. It might get caught, it might not arrive, and it's too fucking important. You don't say: "I love you" for the first time, or "Will you marry me?" or a million other important messages over text either.
>>
>>66629177
While interesting as fuck, I doubt this was Robert's intent. Stark was his dearest friend. I don't believe he worried about his loyalty.

Maybe the lords on the road of course, but not Ned.
>>
>>66631511
Outlawed because the modders couldn't handle the memery.
>>
>>66628167
Jaimie went because he was the main bodyguard of the king.

The Imp wanted to see the wall, plus Robert thought he was funny and if you're funny and like drinking, Robert liked you.
>>
>>66628167

Joffrey went because he wanted him to marry Sansa.

Jaime went because he's captain of the Kingsguard.

Tyrion went because somebody had to visit the Wall on behalf of the King.
>>
>>66628322
He doesn't.
>>
>>66631511
It turned to garbage stop asking for it back. Just endless shitposting. These threads are better anyway
>>
>>66630234
More like buckguard
>>
>>66628250
Underrated
>>
>>66628798
>Jaime Lannister went because he was the captain of the Kingsguard

no he wasnt
>>
Why is HBO stopping press releases of Game of Thrones? Didn't the show leak through their own website instead?
>>
>>66635345
It leaked from review copies or some shit
>>
>>66628167
to put pressure on ned so he accepts his proposal
>>
>>66628167
He brought his kids because Jeoffery because he wanted to wed him to Sansa.
He brought his other kids I guess because his wife was going. Not to mention I doubt Cerci would leave her kids behind.

Jamie went to bone Cerci and he is a Kingsguard. His job is literally to guard the king. And Tyrion went to go see the wall.

Tyrion is a Lanister and he can do as he pleases. '

The king didn't bring his brothers, even though Renly lived in Kingslanding and could have gone with them.
>>
>>66633013
>You don't say: "I love you" for the first time, or "Will you marry me?" or a million other important messages over text either
you dont? ._.
>>
>>66635442
There were no bums for Renly to poke up north
>>
>>66634263
This is true, I forgot about that reading it. He was obviously on the KG though, and Cersei probably asked to bring him along.
>>
>>66628167
Politics
With the death of jon arryn, The North is the only country that Bob Has an actual in with, Due to being Bros with Ned.
Kings and queens visiting countries prove their friendship. and in times of turmoil, remembering the whole kingdom you're strong enough and willing to go up 500 miles just to meet your friend and make him the second most powerful man in the kingdom, sendo a message.
>>
>>66635509
He's the KG assigned specifically to guard Roberts door
>>
Because Robert was a cuck and Cersei probably bitched about it until he agreed to let her take the entire family
>>
>>66628167
>>66628798
>>66634263
My guess is that Cersei convinced Robert to bring Jaime along using the excuse that he is Kingsguard because she didn't want to be without him for a long time (the journey from KL to WF takes several weeks if I'm not mistaken, plus they stopped at inns along the way).

And if I'm not mistaken, Robert didn't fully trust Barristan Selmy since they fought against each other during Robert's Rebellion, but he kept him as Captain of the Kingsguard because he respected him as a Knight. So that's another reason for Jaime to come along, because he's a Lannister and Robert's wife and father in law are Lannisters, which means that he can trust Jaime. At least that's what he probably thought at the time.
>>
>>66635599
Robert was fine with Barristan, he could have kicked him out of being LC when he got the throne but kept him on and even gave him medical attention at the Trident when Roose was saying kill the cunt
>>
>>66635469
Obviously we're excluding autists in that statement because of where we are.
>>
>>66635599
Robert went hunting Barristan. I think Robert could have killed or retired Barristan after the rebellion, but he kept him as a Kingsguard because he respected him so much.
>>
File: JonSnowTightened-S4.jpg (752 KB, 1685x2100) Image search: [Google]
JonSnowTightened-S4.jpg
752 KB, 1685x2100
Why are all the starks so fucking boring?

Anything not directly involving the Lannister's or Daenerys I just want to skip through
>>
>>66635639
>>66635690
Barristan always resented Robert though. He loved the Targaryens, but didn't leave the Kingsguard because muh honour
>>
File: 1456933535809.jpg (20 KB, 312x422) Image search: [Google]
1456933535809.jpg
20 KB, 312x422
>>66635728
>he thinks Daenerys is more interesting than Jon fighting ice zombies
>>
>>66635728
>Daenerys
>Any better
Even Dorne is more exciting than that snooze fest in Slavers Bay
>>
The show should have had the giant fucking wheeled house. Guess it would have made Cersei look too white trash.
>>
>>66635763
fuck that beta bastard
>>
File: 20 good men.jpg (28 KB, 720x287) Image search: [Google]
20 good men.jpg
28 KB, 720x287
Threadly reminder that Jew&Jew are hacks.
>>
>>66631511

The autistic freak out when Stannis got rekt put an end to it.
>>
>>66635749
He resented the killing of the chilluns, like everyone else but the Lannisters and Baratheons
>>
>>66635865
weren't they banned before the season started
>>
>>66635875

It was morally fucked up but from a realpolitik standpoint it was the correct thing to do.

If you don't, you have a Targaryen loyalists insurrection on your hands in twenty or even fifteen years time.

Granted, it could have been done more discreetly instead of going full Mountain.
>>
>>66636110

The funny thing is that they got not one but TWO Targaryen insurrections anyway.

Although Aegon is most likely a Blackfyre, they're still Targaryens genetically, just changed the surname for extra edginess.

Come to think of it, the showfags don't even know who the Blackfyres are, do they?
>>
>>66635763
Rarest Pepe
>>
>>66628167
Because he was asking Ned a favour and it was a sign of respect, I suppose.
>>
I thought it was more weird that Robert only took three Kingsguard. That's leaving four, including the Lord Commander, just to guard Renly, who lived in the city and not the Red Keep anyway.
>>
>>66636271

I guess after what happened to Aerys Robert kind of realized the KG are actually more of a liability than a security measure.

Plus his popularity was sky high, he didn't even remotely think someone would ever want to kill him anyway.
>>
>>66636176
>Come to think of it, the showfags don't even know who the Blackfyres are, do they?
Don't act all superior. Bookfags don't, either. The main series gives only the vaguest impression of who the blackfyres are.

Only reading the Dunk and Egg novels made them fall into place.
>>
>>66636392

>Don't act all superior.

I really wasn't.

It was a statement of fact because D&D were actually dumb enough to cut Aegon and many other things that would have benefited the show.

It would be retarded to act smug for having read these books, it's not exactly Dostoevsky. Although English isn't my first language so maybe I phrased that in an arrogant way, I don't know.
>>
>>66636176
>Although Aegon is most likely a Blackfyre
Would be more interesting if he was a Bittersteel, Bittersteel did fuck one of Daemons daughters afterall
>>
>>66636505

>Bittersteel did fuck one of Daemons daughters afterall

I don't remember this.

Also Bittersteel was a nickname not a surname, so he would just be a random Rivers with some Valyrian (and Bracken) blood.
>>
>>66636548
Calla Blackfyre was betrothed to Aegor, It's in AWOIAF
>>
>>66636615

Strange, I read that book and don't remember this at all.

Oh well, I bet Betasteel couldn't even get it up because he was still thinking of when Bloodraven cucked him.
>>
>>66636645
Shiera cucked everyone in the 7 Kingdoms
>>
TWoW confirmed coming out May/June.

Get HYPED!
>>
>>66637763
Sauce? Please be true. Might even pass on the show until then
>>
>>66628322
What made you say that? When Robert was king the Crown borrowed heavily from Casterly Rock
>>
I think Robert wanted Tommen to be friends with Ned's sons so that he could recreate a Ned/Robert bromance with the younger generation. Robert should've left Tommen to be fostered in Winterfell. Kid would've toughened up and became bros with Robb, Bran, and Rickon.
>>
>>66634263
He wasn't the Captain but a member of the Kingsguard, still had to move his ass wherever king went.
>>
>>66636201
Reported, delete this.
>>
Can you imagine if Stannis showed up in Winterfell right before Robert arrived and told him about the Twincest? Tywin's kids and grandkids would be stranded in the North, far from Lannister power. It was the perfect opportunity to tell the truth to Robert and prevent a war. Good going Stannis.
>>
>>66635728
>Only Lanisters and Daenerys
>Not based Stannis
>>
>>66635728
>>66641421
The descendants of the Storm Kings and Winter Kings are the only ones that matter in the end. Stannis and Jon did more to save the realm than anyone else; they're the Hammer and Anvil.
>>
>>66641031
I just came off a 15 minute silence for a shitpost. If the mods are serious about this, and want to kick out all the memers so we can take this board to the next level, I am 100% behind them.
>>
>>66628167
I dont know jackshit about books or the series, but IRL the moment monarch went for some campaign or a long journey someone from his family that was left alone in the seat of power immediately attempted coup.

So he could have done it in order to prevent that.
>>
>>66635986
no, it was shut down when the season ended
they said that the general could exist during the airing of show and not inbetween
>>
>>66628798
>Tyrion went because they needed some patsy

The Bran crippling and the following attempted murder wasn't planned. Tyrion probably went North to sleep with Northern whores and see the wall.
>>
>>66641718
Fuck you, honky
>>
>>66628273
You mean Tyrion? He was probably showing off that the whole Lanister family was now bowing to him
>>
What I want to know about Robert is why when he was dying he only told Ned in private that he was making him regent, then just gave him a note to show people after he died.

That's like the least secure way you could possibly do that, did he want it to be a surprise or something? I mean I get that he couldn't tell how dangerous the situation was, but that's really careless.
>>
>>66635728

Because you're an edgelord who only wants to see people being edgy.

Deadpool was made for people like you. Go watch it.
>>
>>66635345
Just an extra precaution i suppose
>>
>>66641904
Robert wasn't thinking straight. If Robert told Ned to write out his last will and testament and then ordered them to carry him out to the throne room in full of the court and small council to empower Ned as Lord Protector of the Realm, Cersei wouldn't be able to thwart him as she originally did.
>>
>>66636484
>It would be retarded to act smug for having read these books, it's not exactly Dostoevsky. Although English isn't my first language so maybe I phrased that in an arrogant way, I don't know.
you're not wrong, but that's not stopped bookfags from acting high and mighty just because muh superior medium

though the books are better than the show, there's no doubt about that. that's usually how it goes
>>
>>66628191
This is truth. I grew up in a wealthy family, we traveled all the time.
>>
>>66642021

>Cersei wouldn't be able to thwart him as she originally did

Exactly, Robert basically made it as easy as possible for Cercei to seize power, which he probably knew she wanted to do. Ned even kept it secret until after everyone had time to rally their supporters. I guess that whole series of events bothers me because there were so many chances for it to go smoothly but to move the plot along they had to make everyone more stupid temporarily.
>>
>>66642327
>I guess that whole series of events bothers me because there were so many chances for it to go smoothly but to move the plot along they had to make everyone more stupid temporarily.
That's actually sorta realistic. Most people do short-sighted shit all the time. Very few are cold-blooded and calculating to have contingencies for everything.
>>
>>66635728
Stannis and Jon have the most interesting storylines in the show
>>
File: 1412397929083.jpg (120 KB, 800x886) Image search: [Google]
1412397929083.jpg
120 KB, 800x886
>>66642770
Exactly, but D&D fucked them both up.

I know TV Jon is gonna be resurrected and take over Stannis' storyline, but the best part of the books is how Jon and Stannis work together. They butt heads, but develop a mutual respect and trust for one another.

It says a lot when Jon's internal monologue goes from calling Stannis by his name to the king and Your Grace. Jon knows Stannis is the only king worth his salt because he's trying to liberate the North so that it can defend the Wall against the Others.

The Storm Kings and Winter Kings have a long history together since the days of Bran the Builder and Durran Godsgrief. Robert and Ned may have toppled the Targs, but Stannis and Jon will save the realm. They're the superior Baratheon-Stark alliance because Stannis actually listens to Jon.
>>
>>66640172

That's literally the only reason Robert was married to Cersei
>>
>>66643237
No, Cersei was Tywin's price in exchange for fealty to the new king. The North was the only kingdom that fully supported Robert during the Rebellion. The Vale and Riverlands had royalist supporters while only a fraction of the Stormlands backed Robert. Jon Arryn knew that if they had the Westerlands on-board, the Reach, Dorne, and the Iron Islands wouldn't resist. 5 kingdoms is better than 4.
>>
Bran's story is the most interesting one imho
Everyone thinks he's boring and keeps ignoring him, but up until Arya in this seaso, he had the most blatant and interesting use of actual magic. Also barely any edgy shock value stuff.
>>
>>66643047
agreed, D&D are hacks and fucked his story line to shit. It's not like the books are great literature or anything, but I still think it's a shame these clowns will get to finish the series before the real ending.
>>
>>66643564
the books would be better of without the fantasy elements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sjZHxEZnmE
>>
>>66643523
his story is good but it's made less interesting by the fact nobody else has their visions, so having someone at the core of that doesn't really have as much weight in the show
>>
>>66643610
GRRM wanted to make a fictional take on The War of the Roses with little fantasy elements, but his publishers insisted that nobody would read it without the dragons and Others.

And Septon Meribald's speech is based as fuck. It really highlights how the common man suffers from war. We'll never get this moment thanks to Benioff and Weiss.

>>66643523
Bran is basically an Elder God in the making. He's frightening powerful and can hack into Daenerys' dragons. I wonder if he can hijack an Other?
>>
1. He hadn't seen Ned in close to a decade.
2. He wanted to go to the crypts
3. The King hardly ever travels such grand distances, which takes weeks, months so his family coming isn't really in question.
4. It's the chance the visit, hunt & parade throughout Westeros & be kingly.
Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.