[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can someone recommend some space movies that aren't space
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 8
File: 348153-dark-space-wallpaper.jpg (185 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
348153-dark-space-wallpaper.jpg
185 KB, 1920x1080
Can someone recommend some space movies that aren't space operas like Star Wars and Star Trek, but where space is lonely, dark and scary?
Like in Prometheus and 2001 for instance.
>>
>>66616490
Solaris. Both of them.
>>
File: LV-426 Alien.jpg (6 KB, 544x224) Image search: [Google]
LV-426 Alien.jpg
6 KB, 544x224
Alien.
>>
>>66616490
Moon
the Martian
Alien
Aliens
Event Horizon
Solaris
>>
>>66616490
Outland
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chOPGE71ces
>>
>>66616490
Sunshine (only the first half of it)
>>
>>66616490
Solyaris.
>>
one thing Interstellar did right imo was imbueing a sense of dread and existential crises concerning what its characters were up against
>>
>>66616768
Interstellar was formulaic as fuck, though, Characters see a conflict, encounter one or two hitches along the way and come out alright in the end.
>>
File: i dont think so bitch.gif (474 KB, 200x150) Image search: [Google]
i dont think so bitch.gif
474 KB, 200x150
>>66616768
>>
>>66616819
>witnessing your daughter dying of old age after leaving her in her pre-teens
>alright
>>
>>66616541
this and 2001 are the only movies to REALLY nail it. even something like Moon is ultimately too cutesy.
>>
I saw a trailer on /tv/ like 4-5 years ago about some space movie that i never saw again.

The trailer tried to emulate moon landing footage with some space shuttle being dropped towards saturn. I think they had a shot of the Saturn octagon as well. This is pretty much all i remember.
>>
>>66616768
>existential crises

lines like "only Love can transcend time and space" are *literally* as far from existential dread as its possible to get.
>>
>>66616932
I remember him leaving 5 minutes later to take a ship through the wormhole that's been right there for the last 80 years that no one ever thought to maybe investigate to discover the fate of the four assholes they sent on a suicide mission.
>>
>>66616768
you'rew right, fuck the contrarians

being 100 years apart and across the universe was plenty of dread

yes, the main character makes it, that's how non-indie movies are. fuck you /tv/
>>
>>66617068
>being 100 years apart and across the universe was plenty of dread

it doesn't feel as far away if you get there by flying through a magic portal.

Narnia felt further away than the illogical star system Rust and co ended up in.
>>
>>66617120
how else do you want them to show a journey like that?

>Mentioning Narnia and illogical in the same sentence

eat shit
>>
>>66616490
>space is lonely, dark and scary?
Silent Running
Cargo
EuropaReport
Infini
Outland
Supernova
Pandorum
>>
>>66616601
In general, I hate remakes, but I think a modernized Outland could be really good.

>>66616490
If you haven't seen it yet, "The Expanse" is a damn solid sci-fi show with some pretty scary space.
>>
>>66616490
Don't get memed into watching Event Horizon. It's garbage.
>>
OP here, thanks everyone.
I guess I'll start with the Solaris movies.
Totally forgot that there are two movies! I read the book when I was 16 or so.
>>
>>66617502
sad but true
>>
>>66617392
>EuropaReport

I'm sorry but I honestly think that's one of the worst ten movies I've ever seen

Cargo and Pandorum are decent but miles and miles above Europa Report
>>
>>66617323
Narnia is a fantasy, it was a twee fairytale on purpose.

Interstellar is literally about the human race going to live on habitable planets that are using a Supermassive black hole as their Sun. the movie would have literally been BETTER SCI FI if they had had the planets orbiting a made-up alien thing and given it whatever rules they wanted.
>>
>>66617323
>how else do you want them to show a journey like that?
For starters don't constantly cut back and forth from one story line to another as soon as the needless action scene is over.

For a movie about TIME and SPACE Nolan's ADD shits all over it. They take no time to decompress, to make the audience feel like it is a journey. You don't need much. How about a 30 second wide shot of space, with the ship slowly traveling across mostly empty space?

Nope. We're just going to have one scene where they take off from earth, and then the next scene is them at the wormhole. Now lets throw in some dipshit over complicated time-jumps that you wouldn't even know happen if the characters didn't explicitly mention "Oh... its 23 years later btw."
>>
>>66616490
The Fifth Element

you disappoint me as usual /tv/
>>
>>66617885
>Movies about how cold and isolating space is

>Comfiest space opera ever
>>
File: coop.jpg (23 KB, 306x306) Image search: [Google]
coop.jpg
23 KB, 306x306
>>66617586
>Interstellar is literally about the human race going to live on habitable planets that are using a Supermassive black hole as their Sun.

You're forgetting the Neutron star that coop "swings around" on their way back to the last planet. And whatever mid sequence g-type star is giving off the earth-like lighting on three separate planets.
>>
>>66618000
>>66617659
>>66617323
>>66617120

>time
>gravity

the gravity is so strong it fucks with time but we can still walk normal on the planet

biggest plot hole ever
>>
>>66616490
Dark Star
>>
I'm sure you've seen it, but Gravity.

Also Solaris, Sunshine, Pandorum, Event Horizon.

I just watched a movie last night on Amazon with James Spader set in space. It's not exactly heavy on lonely, creepy atmosphere but it's worth a watch if you like sci-fi.
>>
File: what really srsly.png (241 KB, 377x424) Image search: [Google]
what really srsly.png
241 KB, 377x424
>>66618114
it's the gravity of the black hole, that fucks up time, not the planet's.
>>
>>66618256
shouldn't it fuck up the whole planet?
why do they even try to inhabit a planet that is literaly sitting next to a black hole
isn't it doomed already?
>>
File: a time to coop.png (103 KB, 306x298) Image search: [Google]
a time to coop.png
103 KB, 306x298
>>66618114
Its not really a plot hole. But it's lazy writing.

For me the bigger problem is the tidal forces exerted on the planet to create a mile high wave is more than enough to A) Tidally lock the planet or B) turn the planet into a volcanic nightmare where liquid water couldn't exist.

Look at the moons of Jupiter. Io is a planet that is continuously experiencing vulcanic activity that is perpetually changing the surface of the planet by the tidal flexing between Europa and Ganymede.

But oh no, this planet that's orbiting a black hole close enough that it's traveling at relativistic speeds to create a time debt of YEARS PER MINUTE, but nah, it's fine. It just makes some waves.

Also, did they spend just 0 time surveying the planet before they went down? A high orbit isn't causing time debt, and the person on the planet isn't going to notice a few extra days.

I wouldn't even give a shit, its a movie, but you have all these mongoloid dipshits going on about how "scientifically accurate" the movie is.
>>
>people still defend Interstellar
>>
>>66618464
well as long as you're in a stable orbit it doesn't matter what you're orbiting. a black hole behaves like any other object with mass.
why humanity thinks a new home in direct proximity to a giant black hole is a good idea we don't know though.
>>
>>66618464
>shouldn't it fuck up the whole planet?
It's called the "roche limit." It dictates how closely two bodies can orbit eachother before they can't maintain their own internal structure.

Ballpark is that you can't have a stable orbit inside of 2 1/2 times the radius of the larger body. After that the gravity well of the larger body overwhelms that of the smaller, and they become a single gravitational body.

If its something lbig like a moon, it will break up and turn into an orbital ring that eventually falls back to the planet, a smaller object just has a decaying orbit.
>>
>>66618471
Did they say the mile high wave was because of tidal force? I thought it was just a fucked up wave kinda thing.
>>
>>66619179
Bro, the rest of the planet was covered in ankle deep water. Waves don't work like that.
>>
>>66619337
True, it was. I guess I wasn't paying much attention.
>>
>>66619508
That's the only way to watch this shit show. The more attention you pay to it, the less sense it makes.

It's like a 2 1/2 hour plane scene with none of the charm.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.