[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, this is Finchers' best right? I always thought it was
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6
File: zodiac-poster.jpg (577 KB, 1943x2867) Image search: [Google]
zodiac-poster.jpg
577 KB, 1943x2867
So, this is Finchers' best right? I always thought it was the Social Network and while I still love that movie. Zodiac got snubbed hard

Agree? Disagree? Speak about it anons
>>
File: 1456366494145.gif (1 MB, 245x250) Image search: [Google]
1456366494145.gif
1 MB, 245x250
>>66581908

for sure criminally underrated, not sure if I can say I like it more than social network. great film either way.

today, OP had good taste.
>>
Easily Fincher's best. The lake murder and basement scene are two of the most terrifying scenes in the history of cinema. It really is a perfect movie top to bottom.
>>
>>66581908
Brilliant, tense, great direction, great acting, subtle.
>>
File: oh-shi.png (712 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
oh-shi.png
712 KB, 1920x1080
>>66581908
>Dat fucking basement scene
No other movie has ever made me feel as nervous.
>>
>>66582093
>>66582150
>that disturbingly calm "would you like to go upstairs and check?"

As if this mother fucker is so used to obvious footsteps creeping overhead in his own home. Fucking chilling.
>>
>>66581908
Made a chill, maybe funky Hurdy Gurdy Man song.
Ominous and terrifying

Loved every bit of this film.
>>
>>66582150
Now this scene, was someone actually upstairs or was Greysmith that overcome with paranoia? Like he was loosing his marbles
>>
>>66582537
There was a third person upstairs, anon. That's part of what makes it all so chilling.
>>
>>66581908
I'm not a Fincher fan but Zodiac was fucking great indeed. Interesting story and some extremely tense scenes.
Easily Fincher's best.
>>
File: directors best.jpg (432 KB, 1056x2053) Image search: [Google]
directors best.jpg
432 KB, 1056x2053
okay so my question is
would the basement scene work on its own if it's apart from this movie? Could it stand alone and still chill or is it effective because of all the buildup and atmosphere Zodiac built up that causes its spookyness and tension?

also I'm torn between this and seven but I think this is the better slow burn
>>
David Fincher's Zodiac wasn't so great. It wasn't even good.

>thriller, but nothing exciting happens
>the only really exciting moment was the basement scene and that was used as a stupid plot device to throw off the audience
>robert downey jr. was pretty horrible in this
>don't care about any of the characters actually, they are all flat caricatures
>pointless direction, nothing goes anywhere
>sound design was horrible, loud noises during heavy dialogue scenes, the whole thing was a mess
>no artistry, felt like a cheap television procedural but poorly done
>filters everywhere, but that's typical fincher

It's a shame because the zodiac killer is a very interesting subject. This movie was just shit. Go and watch any of the zodiac documentaries instead.
>>
>>66582150
Anyone else think this guy was an accomplice to the Zodiac? Like he wrote the letters and the killer did the dirty work?
>>
>>66583176
>Could it stand alone and still chill or is it effective because of all the buildup and atmosphere Zodiac built up that causes its spookyness and tension?
It's defintly thanks to the atmosphere the film has been building since minute one.
The opening where the two teenagers are killed on the car sets the tone of the movie perfectly.
>>
>>66583176

I mean that's kind of a dumb question. The scene pretty much depends on your knowledge of the handwriting connection, the basement theory, and Jake Gyllenhaal's general paranoia/obsession at that point. The scene works because there is absolutely no clear indication that the guy is sketchy or suspicious, but there are enough details to raise doubt, both for the audience and Gyllenhaal's character.

Without all that context backing it up, they would've had to make the old guy act super-spooky, shoot it like a horror movie, etc. They were able to do it subtly because there was so much context for that moment
>>
>>66583354
One of the popular theories regarding Zodiac is that there was more than one person commiting the murders, so it's definitely a possibility.
>>
File: twilightzone.gif (1 MB, 260x192) Image search: [Google]
twilightzone.gif
1 MB, 260x192
>>66583395
>>66583485
thanks, just checking. The movies really well done in terms of the amtosphere department, the prisoners reminded me of it a bit, but i dont know as many other movies who are as good or similar to Zodiac
>>
>>66583314
Is there a way to filter all trips?
>>
>>66581908
What's with the poster? Didn't only one of the killings actually happen in San Fran, and it wasn't even near the bridge.
>>
>>66583526
The movie did a good job of this by making each Zodiac a different actor with different voices.
>>
>>66582537
It wasn't made up just for the movie, that situation was described in the guy's book. To his experience, he heard someone upstairs.
>>
>>66583567
Memories of Murder
>>
>>66583664
It's to show the mystery of that story
>>
>>66581908
Agreed
>>
>>66583664
It was in Napa, which is across the bridge, so it's somewhat close.
>>
>>66583921
I guess so, it just seems kind of weird since the bridge was not at all a focus of the story.
>>
It was a great movie, everyone pointed it out but the basement scene was creepy as fuck. I thought the references to other things based on the Zodiac Killer that were included at the time were nice touches too(Like watching Dirty Harry at the movies)
>>
File: 1456677756425.gif (286 KB, 123x116) Image search: [Google]
1456677756425.gif
286 KB, 123x116
>>66581908
Probably his most underrated and my personal favorite of his
>>
>>66583176
>Night on Earth best Jarmusch
>Avatar best Cameron
>Barton Fink best Coens
>Three Colors Red best Kieselowski
How can these be so wrong
>>
>>66583314
God I hate fucking trips. Its really better to remain anonymous so people cant bring retarded posts like this up to you later to show how stupid you are

>basement scene was used as a stupid plot device
>it literally happened in real life

Go watch Star Wars you fucking turbo pleb
>>
>>66583176
>Avatar
>Best Cameron
No
>>
>>66583176
>Days of Heaven best Malick
>Prisoners best Villeneuve
>Primer best Carruth
>Grand Budapest Hotel best Anderson
>Persona best Bergman
Plus these >>66584094

All in all not a great list
>>
Easily Finchers best. Not even close. Although The Social Network is still really really good.

I just love how this film just breezes through the case throwing so much information at you. So much that after the murders stop and the case goes cold and the film becomes about Graysmiths obsession, you feel his aching, nagging desire to find out more.

The experience is like being jerked off to the point of ejaculation several times but never actually cumming
>>
>>66583710
I know that but still, there might have not of been anyone up there.

Fucking creepy either way.
>>
>>66581908
Jesus that film was fucking boring.
>>
>>66584345
This, so fucking good
>>
>>66581908
No

Gone Girl is

Zodiac is boring desu
>>
>>66584545
Gone Girl is capeshit like his other pleb book adaptations. I thought Fincher had finally turned into a good director with Zodiac but everything since then is disappointment after disappointment.

There is literally zero difference between Gone Girl and The Avengers part 11 revenge of robot man. The entire screen vibrates with the capeshit resonance for the duration of the film. You can feel the video game memes behind your fucking eyes.
>>
>>66584545
Gone Girl was pretty bad, it lasted more than it should.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.