[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This is a legitimately good movie, why did noone talk about it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 9
File: fb_share.jpg (94 KB, 1200x630) Image search: [Google]
fb_share.jpg
94 KB, 1200x630
This is a legitimately good movie, why did noone talk about it?
>>
Because it's good. This is where you come to shit on movies.
>>
Because it's SJW liberal propaganda, movie could be called "NO WHITES IN THIS"
>black protagonist
>wealthy black family
>muh mentor fatherly figure
>>
Every time I made a thread it got derailed because the lead actor is black
>>
It did get talked about and people liked it. But it brought nothing new to the table.
>>
It's good for a boxing movie, which means it's about a 6/10.
>>
>nepotism: the movie
>>
>>66571010
It's alright but it's just a black version of Rocky with Rocky being the new Mickey.
>>
>>66571074

He's the son of Apollo, he had to be black.
>>
it's not a good movie. there are no good actors in it and it's formulaic as fuck.
>>
Stallone didn't get the Oscar so there's not much to discuss about.
Michael "not Air Mike" Jordan is not charismatic or a good actor.
>>
after seeing TFA, kind of wished Boyega was the lead, he had more charisma and would have worked as a better hyperactive nigger from a wealthy family

something about Jordan that I just dont like
>>
Its a worse version of Rocky why does it exist??
>>
>>66571010
no one really wanted to find wallace
>>
Because it was shit, there was no sense of desperation or struggle which is how most boxers start. It didn't matter if the main character succeeded or not cause either way his life was Cush
>>
It is just Rocky 17: electric blackloo
>>
WE
>>
File: Conlan.jpg (49 KB, 1200x630) Image search: [Google]
Conlan.jpg
49 KB, 1200x630
TELL HER DON'T WASTE MY TIME
>>
I'm not going to watch a movie that predominately features niggers.
>>
Wallace must have worked out with Cutty more, dat nigga is ripped.
>>
>>66571010
it really isn't very good. same old rocky shit stallone has been feeding us for decades.
>>
>>66571706

Conlan was pretty based.
>>
His love interest was a total bitch.

>some wannabe thug talks shit about his father
>Creed punches him
>"waaaah why did you punch him for no reason, you ruined muh show"
>>
>>66571074

>son of former boxing champion Apollo creed
>hurrr why is he black and rich

Literally all you have to do is take a single glance into a synopsis to realize this.
>>
>>66572257
>WAAAH YOUR FATHER IS MUHAMMAD ALI?
>LOL I FUCKING HATE YOU NOW DONT TALK TO ME
>>
>>66572257
>says good luck baby creed
>talking shit

Nig nog detected.
>>
>>66572301

We already have enough rags to riches boxing movies, Southpaw was especially annoying with its LOOK HE'S CLEANING TOILETS shit.
>>
>>66572257
>some wannabe thug talks shit about his father

He just called him little Creed or some such. It's not his fault that triggered Adonis' autism.
>>
>>66572320

>Creed tells him not to call him that
>thug chimps out and threatens to "put him next to his daddy"

That guy was a faggot and deserved to get hit.
>>
>>66572422
>I'm gonna hit you for saying things I don't like

Goddamn niggers are primal
>>
>>66572440

Of course a beta like you would stutter and spill your spaghetti after a death threat.
>>
>>66572440
There is no white person I know that wouldn't react aggressively if not escalate to violence outright in this situation.

But yeah ok niggers and shitposting is epic we get it dude.
>>
>>66572522
>implying I'd hang around nigger thugs
>implying I'd date a girl who's hair looks like rope
>implying I'm insecure with my manhood

Must be tiring trying to stay alpha and "keep it real" so all your nigger friends know they should respect you or you'll beat them down. Lol pathetic m8
>>
>>66572662

White "males", everyone.
>>
>>66572690
young niggers everybody, enjoy him before he gets shot by someone who keeps it realer
>>
>>66571010

What was so good about it?
>>
>>66572831

Stallone was amazing as Elder Sage Balboa. The Creed flashblacks were well placed and powerful. The boxing action was okay, but the training videos are great motivational clips (because Stallone was amazing).

Outside of that, Michael B Jordan was plain annoying as his cocky young gun self. No natural charisma or likability. Girl was equally too sassy to like most of the time.
>>
H A P P Y B I R T H D A Y P A U L I E
>>
>>66571010
>This is a legitimately good movie

It really wasn't.

2 hours of ham fisted, over the top "muh cancer" and training montage. 10 minutes of boxing.

Wasn't even the best boxing movie of the year.
>>
>>66572662
>like a rope

i laughed and you are completely correct fuck you niggers
>>
It was alright, but the OST is fucking GOAT workout music.
>>
>YEA MY NUGGA UNC FUCK OUTTA HERE WHITE BOi

I dont know how i kept watching after he said that it was over the line
>>
>>66572797

If you don't understand why Creed threw a punch in that situation, you are a part of the nu-male disease and need to hand in your tiny testicles immediately.

It's hilarious how threads about this movie instantly attract insecure /pol/acks who think saying nigger still makes them edgy. Not even black btw.
>>
>>66572257
>Good luck Baby Creed
>Why you gotta diss
>I ain't dissing
>I'll punch you anyway because my autism is acting up
His girlfriend isn't a bitch, she just doesn't want him chimping out and punching the people she works with
>>
>>66572992
>2 hours of ham fisted, over the top "muh cancer" and training montage. 10 minutes of boxing.

This. I don't know anybody that actually liked the movie.

The general reaction is that it's "ok".

People expecting a "black rocky" were dissapointed by a crappy drama.
>>
>>66572320
>>66572383
This is why whotes are losing

If he was you, you'd be apologizing then post on /tv/ how that porchmonkey was rude
>>
>>66573182
>>66572320
Are you guys stupid?

The dude just found out that Rocky had cancer, and on top of all the other guy called him ''Baby Creed'' which he doesn't like since he wants to make a name for himself, then that same guy threatens him so that's why he tries to get into a fight
>>
>>66572662
>black man looks at your woman
>gather 30 friends and lynch him in his sleep

That's how white folk do
>>
>>66573160
>get "disrespected"
>throw punches

I'm glad o don't have this chimp mentality. In the real world acting like a nigger gets you shot, put in jail or sued. That might all be worth it for a nigger as long as he gets the respect of a bunch of random nobodies but I couldn't care less what a thug nigger says about my daddy. Your insecurity is amazing if you condone chimping out for some "respect" everyone just thinks you look like an asshole not like a bad ass
>>
>>66573254
>wants to make his own name
>changes his to get a title fight he didn't earn

Logical
>>
>>66573340
I'm a girl and this post made me super wet and aroused sexually
>>
>>66573244
>whites are losing

>niggers lowest iq
>highest incarceration
>lowest sat scores
>worst literacy
>lowest median income
>low life expectancy

If whites are losing what are niggers doing?
>>
>>66573340
Seems to me like you're severely autistic
>>
>>66573462
>not getting physically violent when someone upsets you
>autistic

I think you're confused
>>
>>66573425
All that and they are still winning

Damn
>>
>>66573340

>not being a little pushover bitch = acting like a nigger

How can one man contain such faggotry?

Also, Jake G did the same thing in Southpaw, so it's not just a "nigger thing". Some autistic neckbeard might walk away, but fighters have an image they need to maintain.
>>
>>66573425

At least blacks aren't the ones obsessed with white people dicks and cuckoldry.
>>
>>66573631
You're projecting pretty hard m8

>>66573610
That movie about eminem, who acted like a nigger his whole life? Who made a song about when he took a gun to a night club and ran up on a bouncer who kissed his wife before getting beat down and arrested expressing how embarrassing and childish it was?
>>
>>66573731

>movie about a boxer
>That movie about eminem, who acted like a nigger his whole life?

And you say niggers are the dumb ones.
>>
>>66572992
>10 minutes of boxing
It had more boxing than the original Rocky.
>>
>>66571010
Why was Apollo's kid a genetic Hercules, but Rocky's kid was a worthless piece of shit with an inferiority complex?
>>
It's ok. Not great. Not as good as 1 or 2.

That once fight scene in the middle of the movie, done as one long camera shot scene was great though. Well done to everyone involved in that.
>>
>>66574057
Because Rocky is a piece of shit. He doesn't know how to box properly, he just take a bazillion punches in the face until his brain gets damaged.
>>
>>66572992
>2 hours of ham fisted, over the top "muh cancer" and training montage. 10 minutes of boxing.

This. I fell alseep a few times and felt like I didn't miss much.

It was kinda boring to be honest
>>
Prejudice.
>>
>>66571074
>no whites in this
>Sylvester Stallone
Pick one.
>>
>>66571111
This. Good movie, but redundant? Sly's performance was great and I thought he deserved to win the supporting actor for it.

>>66571241

No way, you're probably sjw and/or cuck if you truly believe Boyega is even remotely charismatic.
>>
>>66571010
Because Noone is a fucking idiot with shit taste in film.

no one is two words retard
>>
>>66571010
It was great. Barely any nigger music in it.
I hate that actor m8, and i thought it would be SJW shit, i feel terrible i should had trust stallone.

3rd best movie on the series After the first and the 6th. 3 and 4 are still must watch over this, but 4 specially is amazing so that doesnt take anything from this movie, I hope we get a creed sequel.
>>
its good but its by no means a boxing movie, more like a slow drama.
>>
>Who could have imagined that Sylvester Stallone’s 1976 Rocky – the most shamelessly sentimental boxing movie of them all — would inspire a black-liberation saga like the new movie Creed?

>After all, Rocky gave post–Civil Rights America the great white hope that Vietnam War draft-resister and heavyweight champion Muhammad Ali had made unthinkable. Stallone’s Philadelphia palooka revived working-class, second-generation-immigrant identity. This, combined with primal memories of masculine endeavor — and sincerity — restored a romantic sense of pride to a nation as broken and wounded as Rocky Balboa himself.

>Rocky’s contrived innocence works like a charm in Creed. That delicious title brings a statement of belief, rules of behavior, and a sense of civilized faith back to our jaded pop and political culture — and in the unlikeliest figure. A fatherless black boy, Adonis Johnson (Michael B. Jordan), trapped in systemic detention gets his shot at becoming the heavyweight champion of the world. He’s the son of Apollo Creed, the bodacious, Ali-like boxing champ (played by Carl Weathers) to whom Rocky plausibly and ingeniously lost — although Rocky would win movie immortality.
>>
File: White Man's Burden.png (49 KB, 300x207) Image search: [Google]
White Man's Burden.png
49 KB, 300x207
>This makes Creed more than an example of turn-about-is-fair-play. Adonis answers the dissatisfaction lurking beneath the Rocky fantasies — the Hollywood fairy tale that seemed more out of reach the further America’s working class sank into an urban underclass. But if you think Adonis’s story won’t interest you, or fear that it’s selling more of the usual race-blame that the contemporary media now use to commandeer liberal consent (and condescension) among blacks and whites alike, you underestimate the enduring appeal of Stallone’s conceit (last put to use in the movie Grudge Match).

>As a modern underdog story, the Rocky franchise has exerted real impact on the populace. Over the past 40 years, the Rocky myth has been ingrained in American culture, undeniable even to those who, like me, never trusted or cared for it in the first place. Gradually, Rocky’s many, variously effective sequels, spanning four decades and even including an international stage musical incarnation, would effectively speak to a basic romantic faith in bootstrap determination and ethnic pride, its spiritual sincerity coming just short of demagoguery. All that, embodied in Stallone’s indefatigable if pathetic figure, is resurrected in Adonis, a street kid who lives by his hip-hop inheritance: a legacy of stereotypical criminality, ruthless violence, and anti-social defensiveness that is ultimately self-destructive.
>>
>>66571074
It's a movie with a nigger love interest and a nigger character that actually chimps out. There'snothing SJW about the movie, is one of the jew cases of a black protagonist where there's no racism, or "message" shit.
Hell, Johnson got the best education possible, and even with all the opportunities in the world he chooses to leave everything and box, he keeps his father footsteps even when he didnt met the guy. You could even compare it with niggers going to jail just like the fathers they never met.
>>
File: The Gay Republican Negro.jpg (94 KB, 300x279) Image search: [Google]
The Gay Republican Negro.jpg
94 KB, 300x279
>So, the longer you stare at Jordan’s Adonis, the younger he looks. Beneath the boyish swagger, and behind the cultural stereotype, you see his innocence. This princeliness is a young actor’s most amazing gift, and Jordan acts out its meaning according to 29-year-old writer-director Ryan Coogler’s surprising sympathy with what even non-white viewers saw in Stallone’s Rocky. It takes some kind of innocence (or forgiveness) to disregard the mocking intent behind Apollo Creed — or at least to appreciate it guilelessly.

>It has taken two generations for Rocky to translate its own mythology through the evolution of pop-culture trends that include movies intersecting with pop music, both reflecting their historical and social contexts. Credit for this goes to Stallone’s personal largesse, but the startlingly satisfying story in Creed results from Coogler and Jordan’s astonishing cultural engagement. The three of them, together, have made the most American American movie this year.
>>
File: The Time Has Come.png (63 KB, 1000x920) Image search: [Google]
The Time Has Come.png
63 KB, 1000x920
>It would be wishful to think Creed could turn back the annoying tide of campus petulance and hijacked urban politics that are now part of the American scene, but the fantasy works for at least a couple of hours. Coogler and Jordan’s connection to Rocky overcomes the disadvantage of the earlier film’s origin as a white pyrrhic-victory fantasy. They relate to Rocky as a totem of mainstream American cultural values. After illegitimate son Adonis is lifted out of poverty by his father’s widow (Phylicia Rashad), he willingly sacrifices career opportunities — including fast-track promotion at a brokerage house — to be a boxer. The drive to prove his masculinity is understood as a personal agony: the felt absence of paternal influence that so much hip-hop music has bluffed past, establishing throughout the landscape a peculiar kind of orphan archetype.

>A scene of Adonis sparring against a video projection of his father battling Rocky (he mimics Rocky’s moves) is a perfect visual metaphor of a generation of young men fighting their fathers’ phantoms. This shadowboxing translates Rocky’s journey into a black Oedipal drama. Creed addresses the crisis of young black male identity with a precision unknown to media endorsements of campus brats and street hoodlums. Coogler articulates this misguided social development even as he romanticizes then corrects it.
>>
>>66571010
Who the fuck is noone and why do you care what they think about movies
>>
File: The Dark Side of White.jpg (67 KB, 300x279) Image search: [Google]
The Dark Side of White.jpg
67 KB, 300x279
>A montage of the fighters Adonis challenges introduces each one with his stats on screen; it is a parade of stunning, virile, working-class specimens, one of them from as far away as Great Britain. This coheres with real-life ghetto competitiveness — the gangsta rivalry of black machismo and victimization that Straight Outta Compton completely falsified. Coogler includes the significance of post-Rocky boxing lore: the glamour of street-tough fisticuffs that is part of Mike Tyson’s legend. (One ambitious boxer in a downscale gym wears a T-shirt that reads: “I fight because I can’t sing or dance.”) Adonis even has a workout sequence set to a hip-hop update of Muddy Waters’s blues classic “Mannish Boy” — here reinterpreted as Fatherless Child.

>Rocky’s coaching relationship to Adonis makes up for whatever rivalry he felt with Apollo. This gets mawkish (and Stallone milks it, which is OK; he has earned audience affection over the years), but its purpose is to remind young Adonis that “You’re your father’s son. You’re part of him. It doesn’t mean you have to be him.” This speaks to the fatherless crisis that has been ignored throughout the past 50 years of black pop culture. When Rocky tells Adonis, “Forgive him. He’s still taking a toll on you. You’re still caught in his shadow,” the direct explanation is moving because it’s so exact — it makes up for the impertinent enigma of the missing black father that’s favored without solution in patronizing mainstream media from the HBO series The Wire to the PBS documentary The Black Panthers and elsewhere: Remember how the severe dysfunction at the center of Denzel Washington’s Flight came down to the estranged son confronting the incarcerated father: “Who are you?”
>>
>>66573233
>People expecting a "black rocky" were dissapointed by a crappy drama.

Rocky and rocky balboa are dramas.
Only rocky 2 anf rocky 5 are "boxing" movies and 5 is terrible.
3 and 4 are action movies with box on them.

I don't get what "black rocky" means.
>>
File: Whoo.jpg (64 KB, 300x279) Image search: [Google]
Whoo.jpg
64 KB, 300x279
>Denzel Washington has based his career on toying with that black-miscreant stereotype, often sexualizing it, but mainly using it to symbolize the black phantom of American racism. Jordan recalls some of Washington’s facile manner, but he acts with a depth of social significance Washington lacks; part of it coming from a generational advantage. Adonis has love scenes with Bianca (Tessa Thompson), and love scenes — movements toward socialized maturity — are what Washington’s film career notoriously lacks.

>Brash Bianca, a trip-hop performance artist also struggling against ghetto pressure, updates Talia Shire’s Adrian from Rocky, but with a ghetto complex. “Stop knocking on my door like the police!” she chastens Adonis’s neediness. Such urban details show Coogler’s adept use of the boxing genre’s class-based formula. He proceeds from the socially conscious exposé of his debut film, Fruitvale Station (unhelpfully exploited by the media in support of the Black Lives Matter campaign), to focus substantively on personal drama and individual psychology. “You gonna find a problem with everything I say?” Adonis asks Bianca. Her response makes this scene the most honest and ardent young lovers’ quarrel in decades.

>Coogler directs the boxing matches with impressive vividness, using real-time, up-close mobility that shows genuine filmmaking skill (Maryse Alberti’s ring lighting makes skin tones glow). Coogler also contextualizes Rocky’s myth in a graveyard scene that surprisingly evokes John Ford’s masterpiece Young Mr. Lincoln. It’s a way of paying debts to Stallone and to movie culture: Both have served Coogler’s own liberation — encouraging him to rise out of the black indie movie PC ghetto and join the larger world of cinema.
>>
File: white.jpg (22 KB, 300x279) Image search: [Google]
white.jpg
22 KB, 300x279
>Creed makes its own justification even while treating Stallone as an icon. He’s familiar (from both Rambo and The Expendables) but with more than a liberal do-gooder’s face; his message has always been uplifting but not patronizing, and that’s what makes Rocky essentially a conservative fantasy. It’s no wonder Rocky won the 1976 Oscar over All the President’s Men, Network, Taxi Driver, and Bound for Glory — all liberal melodramas that expressed post-Vietnam, post–Civil Rights, post-Watergate cynicism. Rocky was the people’s candidate, which is more impressive now when the mainstream media have seized and perverted the populist ideal.

>Who would have thought this latest franchise sequel would have such sociopolitical significance and emotional strength? Creed serves as a response to the wayward campus protests by privileged black students who, like Adonis, are protesting against themselves and their own frustrations even if they don’t know it.
>>
>>66573610
>but fighters have an image they need to maintain.

Actually no my dear neckbeard. You can do that with other boxers or fighters. But if you are a boxer, or pro martial artist and you punch a guy you will end up in jail, you are considered dangerous by all judges and you will lose all the time if you go to trial. Fighting normies is the worst idea you can have, Creed Chimp out, as simple as that.
Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.