[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I genuinely believe this is the perfect action movie. Name one
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 7
File: the-raid-poster[1].jpg (78 KB, 480x713) Image search: [Google]
the-raid-poster[1].jpg
78 KB, 480x713
I genuinely believe this is the perfect action movie. Name one flaw in it.
>>
>>66557192
Mad Dog should've lived.
>>
Takes too long to get good
>>
>>66557228
But he's still on the 2nd movie as hobo machete
>>
>>66557192
The sequel was the flaw.
How did they not twist the formula for the sequel?
>>
>>66557257
This

Dredd, while similar, never lets up. The Raid is a mix of great scenes and boring scenes that I don't fucking care about
>>
>>66557192
their ground fighting
>>
>>66557192
>24fps
>>
>>66557285
I get that he's an outstanding performer and they wanted him to be in both, but it was still really fucking jarring making the same guy another character.
>>
it is.

perfect blend of suspense/action

develops the characters pretty succinctly
>>
>>66557295
They completely twisted the formula.
>>
>>66557295
The sequel did twist the formula? It's an entirely different kind of movie.

It's actually the biggest problem with the sequel - the fight scenes are just about as good, but now it's surrounded by two hours of low-rent Asian crime drama.

Raid 1 is a perfect example of budget restraints leading to a superior product.
>>
>>66557434
This.

Mad Max: Fury Road is objectively the best action flick of the 21st century.
>>
>>66557192
1: awesome
2: dogshit with the same name
>>
>>66557192
I remember reading that an american version of the Raid was in the works.

Potential for greatness or nah? It'd be tight with tony jaa
>>
>>66557569
Everyone involved in the American remake has dropped out and the production company dumped it.
>>
>The Raid 2
>there isn't a single raid in the whole thing
>>
>>66557619
thank f*ck
>>
File: bigguy.png (1 MB, 1679x706) Image search: [Google]
bigguy.png
1 MB, 1679x706
This guy from the Raid 2 is the Indonesian CIA
>>
>>66557569
The entire thing which makes The Raid stand out is that it's filmed in a third world country where they can get away with putting 50 extras in hospital because they beat them up and tossed them around so hard

If you want a Western take on the idea you may as well just watch Dredd. Which as a movie I think has an edge on the first Raid anyway.
>>
File: powerstance.png (397 KB, 692x624) Image search: [Google]
powerstance.png
397 KB, 692x624
>>66557724
with his own power stance
>>
>>66557741
>Which as a movie I think has an edge on the first Raid anyway.
but not the second?
the fuck
>>
File: nosurvivors.png (1002 KB, 1707x741) Image search: [Google]
nosurvivors.png
1002 KB, 1707x741
>>66557762
Hes got the right lines
>>
>>66557340
He is the choreograph, this is why.
>>
>>66557192
>Name one flaw in it.
The sequel
>>
>>66557811
Sorry if I'm a little unclear, I think Dredd and Raid 1 are both awesome and I like Dredd a little more out of the two.

Raid 2 is a boring slog compared to both of them.
>>
File: Putin Approves.gif (2 MB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
Putin Approves.gif
2 MB, 500x281
>CGI Blood
>the fight between the brothers and Mad Dog goes on for too-long

Other than that, it's a magnificent action film
>>
>>66557434
>It's actually the biggest problem with the sequel - the fight scenes are just about as good, but now it's surrounded by two hours of low-rent Asian crime drama.

I have the exact opposite opinion. When I watched Berandal I felt like someone had reached into my brain and pulled out everything I wanted in a sequel, then made it like seventy hours long so as not to stiff me on the fighting. It's amazing. I think it's an excellent example of more is more.
>>
>>66557257
>i cant into set up

pleb/10
>>
>>66557434
I can't believe people on here praised the sequel as much as they did. Raid 1 is the clearly superior movie.
>>
gook lives don't matter
>>
>>66557192
Overchoreographed fight scenes, and the conversations drag on for too long.
>>
>>66558145

They're such different beasts that I find it hard to compare the two. The Raid is probably one of the most "actualized" films I've ever seen--and by that I mean that it knew what it was here to do, and it did it, and that was that. The Raid was fast and gritty and it kept hitting you like you were getting slugged in the gut. The plot existed as a way to showcase action. The characters existed to do violence and have violence acted upon them. The whole endeavor was a vehicle for Iko Uwais to showcase himself impressively murdering a large amount of people we don't care about, and it succeeded at that goal. It knew *exactly* what kind of movie it was, and it pulled it off beautifully.

Berandal meanders. I would go so far as to call it indulgent. It's what happens when you take a film that at its core is like The Raid and dump any pretense of it existing in the real world, and it's no surprise that it existed--languishing without a budget--before The Raid itself did. It's an entirely different film, and yet it's sitting in this weird world where it's the movie The Raid might have been if Evans had been allowed to run wild.

And he does. The gritty walls of the apartment block are swapped out for a massive cityscape. Characters like Mad Dog (himself larger than life) are switched out for hammer-wielding Japanese assassins. The weather itself changes based on influence of the film's characters (it's worth mentioning that Jakarta is not a place to normally see snow). It's an insane, violent dream that runs on logic that almost checks out and never quite does, and it's a movie that throws the pseudo-realism of its predecessor out the window in favor of its insane dreamy style. I don't think you can enjoy it for the same reasons as you'd enjoy the first film--it's not trying to hit those notes. But I enjoyed it tremendously because of what it was.

I'd honestly have trouble picking one over the other.
>>
>>66558551
you seem to have gotten lost on the way to reddit

no one here is going to give you upvotes for writing several paragraphs of meaningless waffling
>>
>>66558637

Would you have preferred "fuck you, I liked it?" That's the gist of it.
>>
>>66558637

If that amount of writing makes your eyes glaze over maybe a fifth grade English class might be more your speed than 4chan.
>>
>>66558637
kindly imbibe bleach
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3cJU3UQ2x0
>>
>>66558971
Truly one of the least exciting fight scenes ever filmed.
>>
>>66558637
It reads like he's trying to impress someone for some reason but it's not a totally worthless post

Still someone had to call him out for the faggy tone and I commend you for taking the bullet
>>
>>66557228
/thread
>>
>>66559036

actually it was pretty good
>>
>>66557192
I like it better when it was called Dredd.
>>
>>66558669
Welcome to /tv/
>>
>>66558971
This is terrible.

They are trying to imitate Jackie chan like kung fu yet miss the point that his stuff worked because I was comedy.

They want me to take it seriously while the two fighters are non stop whining and moaning.
>>
>>66559302
>kung fu
It's Silat you retard
>>
>>66559665
Which is just embarrassing. Silat is about as practical to use in a real fight as yoga is. Most useless martial art in existence.
>>
>>66559302

mediocre bait mate
>>
>>66559736
lol look at this faggot who's never taken an elbow to the face before

i bet you start crying when you get hit, that is if you aren't a sniveling little cunt who's never actually been in a physical confrontation.
>>
Haven't seen this yet, should I watch it with the dub or subs?
>>
>>66559996

Subs are always superior, but you're not watching it for the dialogue anyway.
>>
>>66559973
>belligerent SEA monkey who's entire existence revolves around the fact that he "knows" (insert whatever SEA martial art here) and calls everyone else a pussy and gets in fights with fucking everyone

Man, it's like I'm back in high school.
>>
>>66559665
Martial arts, whatever, who cares

>>66559749
It's like a fucking Star Wars prequel fight, it just goes on and on and on. Their attacks do absolutely no damage (ie the guy gets his leg sliced yet fights like he's received zero injuries). There's no tension because none of their strikes do anything, slam a guys head into the wall and he's unfased. It just suddenly ends when someone gets a killing blow. It also doesn't help everyone's dressed the same so it looks dull as fuck.

The choreography is good if a bit over precise, just like a prequels fight, but that's the only real compliment I can give.

Now if you're going to claim I'm baiting, how about point out why I'm wrong.
>>
>>66560081
>leg sliced yet fights like he's received zero injuries)

Adrenalin m8.
>>
>>66560171
Thats such a weak excuse
>>
>>66560076
nice assumptions, I'm actually just a poor burnout who's been in a lot of fights as a lad and knows when some stupid faggot likes to run their mouth but has nothing to back it up

i bet you have bitch tits
>>
>>66560258
not for someone who's actually been in a fight you assclown
>>
>>66560171

Adrenalin can power you though injuries but slice wounds to major muscles/joints, you're not going to just fight on unhindered
>>
>>66560413
You think because you had a fight with your sister when you were 5 that means you have fighting experience?

When you get a muscle sliced, it doesn't magically keep working because lol adrenalin, when you get your head smashed into things multiple times, it doesn't stop you from getting a concussion or bad head trauma.

Adrenalin isn't a fucking sensu bean, and you'd know this if you had been in a fight. Hell, you don't even have to have any experience, actually watch a fight, ring or not, and you'll see how ridiculous this is.
>>
>>66560828
jej be madder captain autism
>>
The rapid editing on some spots was a bit on the shoddy side and the story is a little weak.
>>
>>66560828

That's true but on the other hand who gives a shit, it's an action movie.

People don't die from shock or end up crippled for life from single gunshot wounds either
>>
>>66560995
God your pathetic.

No counter argument to back your point up so you resort to "umad". No wonder this board is a shithole.
>>
I think we need to take a step back and realize we're arguing about how realistic a fight scene was in a movie that included a deaf Japanese girl dual-wielding claw hammers.
>>
>>66561099
look how mad you are
>>
>>66561090
>it's an action movie
That's fair enough, but OP said it was perfect and to find a flaw, so he's asking for it. Plenty of other action movies try to show injuries actually having some effect and my point wasn't so much about realism, but that it ruins the suspense and tension of a fight.

>people don't die from shock or single bullet wounds
No, but people who have muscles sliced and heads punched in don't generally carry on as normal immediately afterwards.
>>
>>66561149
no stop, it's too much fun watching the autist thrash around about how unrealistic the fictional fight scenes in the fictional movie with fictional characters are
>>
>>66557192
It's in their shitty jungle language.
>>
>>66558133
An action movie shouldn't take this long to set itself up.
Maybe it's because I was half asleep, but a good action movie would've kept me awake
>>
>>66557192
Anyone know more movies like this that aren't Dredd? Western fistfighting action movies are kinda shit, unless there's some good stuff I'm missing
>>
>>66557192
dying for part 3
>>
>>66557340
It was a different character?
>>
>>66557340
fuck me i actually thought it was supposed to be mad dog having survived but with his crime boss destroyed he was just a hitman for another family now.
>>
>>66557304
>Dredd, while similar, never lets up.

Are you for real? Dredd was fucking boring.
>>
>>66557619
probably because its the story of Dredd. Exactly.
>>
>>66557295
I dunno, the sequel, although possibly not as polished as the first, was still great to watch in teathers with a large audience.
Every minute, everyone was going ooooooohhhhhhh in a fight scene. The Raid had those moments too but not on that level.

The real flaw of the Raid is mostly the end after the end boss fight. It just drags a bit then ends.
>>
>>66562052
The Protector and first Ong-Bak.
>>
>>66562123
Are you for real? Dredd was fucking awesome.
>>
It was aight. Good action but paper thin character development and plot progression.
>>
File: ip man.jpg (105 KB, 960x539) Image search: [Google]
ip man.jpg
105 KB, 960x539
I'm hype as fuck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jckXscMwIOI
>>
>>66557192

I was so dubious when my friend told me he had "An Indonesian action movie" I'd really like.
So glad I didn't dismiss it outright.
>>
File: Mad_Max_Fury_Road.jpg (60 KB, 256x395) Image search: [Google]
Mad_Max_Fury_Road.jpg
60 KB, 256x395
it didn't win 6 oscars like the actual perfect action movie did
>>
>>66559973

Silat is like Muay Thais dweeby little brother that it tries to keep the other real martial arts from finding out about.
>>
>>66563993

Judo: Hey Muay Thai, BJJ said your brother is in his grade, he gonna join the team?

MT: Uhh, h-he's more into studying...

Judo: Haha! Good one! A family member of yours being a Kung-fuey liitle nerd! You're hilarious man!

MT: L-lets go to boxing and wrestlings house to get h-hammered bro...
>>
>>66564135
*raises paw*
>>
The scene with the fridge.
>>
>>66564201

You were Silat in this analogy, weren't you anon?

Did big bro Muay Thai getting all that prime ring girl pussy frustrate you while you were playing D&D with Kung-Fu and Taekwondo?
>>
>>66557192
No love triangle with a jewish woman. 6/10 at BEST
>>
>>66557937
>the fight between the brothers and Mad Dog goes on for too-long
Agreed. They beat each so hard for so long it was annoying no one died 10 minutes before it finally ended.
>>
>>66557192
Dredd was better
>>
>>66559996
Subbed. I made the mistake of watching the sequel dubbed and it was so poorly dubbed it ruined my enjoyment of the movie.
>>
Shitty, Dredd wasn't very good either but it was miles ahead
Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.