[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
DUDE BEING IN THE WORLD LMAO
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (36 KB, 460x276) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
36 KB, 460x276
DUDE BEING IN THE WORLD LMAO
>>
Ever notice that Christian filmmakers are the most pretentious and worst?
>>
>>66553688

Ever notice that you're a huge faggot and I could probably beat you up?
>>
*long shot of grass and weeds*
*boring narration over a cloudy sky*
>>
DUDE NO SCRIPT LMAO
>>
File: image.jpg (70 KB, 680x382) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
70 KB, 680x382
Cam someone explain Heidegger to me please
>>
>>66553657
>love Malick
>live in a shitty town
>Knight of Cups opens March 4th
>no theatre in my city is showing it
>life is suffering
>>
DUDE
BEAUTY
LMAO
>>
>>66553657
DUDE SIMPLIFYING COMPLEX IDEAS TO THE POINT THEY BECOME FACILE WITICISMS LMAO
>>
>>66554159
>I can't spell witticisms but that's ok because I don't know what it means either!

Back to you know where, my sub-par shitposting memester
>>
>>66553761
It's fedora Christianity essentially
>>
>>66554228
>he missed a letter! That'll show him!
>>
>>66554159
There is no simplification though. He is conveying them through the medium of cinema.

I honestly don't understand on the hate on him and his process : shooting up a shitton and then deciding what to do with what you shot seems legit enough as long as you don't really waste your budget. Instead of shooting one scene ten - twenty times he spends the same amount of time by letting the actors interact with the world.
>>
>>66553688

Malick isn't Christian.

Tree of Life is an "atheist/agnostic" retelling of Job's book which is basically about Job being miserable and asking God wtf and God going "are you questioning me, motherfucker, are you questioning someone who made all this awesome stuff like whales and shit?" And Job realizes what a dork he was.

The Tree of Life, imo, is about seeing an unhappy childhood in light of the complexity of the universe and realizing you have more to be thankful for and in awe of than to hate. "Man how beautiful life is."

Malick is actually a Heideggerian, which is what OP is referring to with being-in-the-world.

Which is not a Christian position.

>>66553761

Yes. The bottom line is actually RIDICULOUSLY simple.

Heidegger says that if you really think about it philosophy is a SECONDARY activity. Before you can even ask whether you exist, you're already "existing". He is trying to describe this wordless feeling of just being. When you understand this "feeling", you realize that you're already assuming the existence of other people, the existence of things, etc. So normal philosophy is stupid and pointless, answering questions we deep inside already know the answer for. For example when you're doing philosophy you're fucking assuming the floor underneath you will hold you.

Now a big part of just being, without really thinking about it, is doing whatever people tell you to. And this is normal and how it should be (hey nazism!), but if you become so swept up by how people tell you things are, and never think for yourself or do something random and unnecessary, you're denying your own existence in a way, which is what Heidegger calls living inauthentically. So sometimes you just fucking need to loosen up a little. Basically his ethics.

NOW where he gets hard is if you're trying to understand his descriptions of just being without really thinking about it, which are full of complex terminology and written in a very difficult to understand fashion.
>>
Malick has autism.

I like his movies.

But honestly I fucking hate his pretentious personality.

He thinks he is better than other famous people, so he hides from the public because we are not worthy.

Motherfucker

My cousin wanted to interview him for their movie magazine and he didn't show up.
>>
>>66555643
I'm not fan of the guy but what's wrong with not showing up in public? He doesn't own anyone anything.
>>
>>66555810
WHAT DOES IT MEAN?!

TELL ME WHAT YOUR MOVIES MEAN?!?!
>>
>>66555643
>pretentious
There's that word again
>>
>>66555438
Malick made Martin Sheen believe in his Christian faith again
His recent autobiographical film trilogy all feature a priest who highlights the major themes of the film
Heidegger arranged for his own Christian burial
Malick is undoubtedly Heideggerian, but I would say he's also a committed Christian existentialist
Good job on explaining Heideggerian philosophy though
>>
>>66556116

Oh wow, really? I guess it's true then.

I thought the Sheen thing was a meme and I forgot about all the priests.
>>
File: image.jpg (110 KB, 1280x688) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
110 KB, 1280x688
DUDE THE CHATTER LMAO
https://youtu.be/zm6JyYGwtpY
>>
File: 11038.jpg (18 KB, 200x252) Image search: [Google]
11038.jpg
18 KB, 200x252
Malick threads make me feel like everyone's a philistine. You can generally discredit posts that include the word 'pretentious' because 99.9% of the time they hold no real criticism in them, but the issue is that SO many posts in Malick threads include 'pretentious'.
>>
>>66555438
Except Malick is a Christian. Heideggerian concepts can be forced onto Malick's films as easily as Kierkegaard's can, they have somewhat similar concepts of the Self and being an individual. I could project Kierkegaard's philosophical systems all over Malick's films very easily, but I think Malick first and foremost makes compelling and despairing characters. His influence from philosophy probably does make it into his characters, but they're not philosophical props like Dostoevsky did with his characters. The humanity of the situation is much more interesting than honoring Heidegger or Kierkegaard.
>>
>>66558249

Malick literally was a Heidegger scholar before directing Badlands though. He also translated Heidegger professionally and his movies are full of very concrete references to Heidegger.
>>
>>66555643
>He thinks he is better than other famous people, so he hides from the public because we are not worthy.

top kek
You hate him based on an assumption you made about him.
>>
>>66558249
>Malick is a Christian
Really starting to hate this meme
>>
>>66553953
Same
>>
>>66559712
Malick led Martin Sheen back to Catholicism.
>>
>>66559939
Shit, I forgot the link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVTFhjcHrBQ
>>
>>66555643
>My cousin wanted to interview him for their movie magazine and he didn't show up.
Your cousin isnt worthy of Terry time.
>>
>>66555438
H E L L O
E
L
L
O

R E D D I T
E
D
D
I
T
>>
>>66555438
I think you're completely wrong with your atheistic interpretation of The Tree of Life. The ending of the film is testament to this. It's a portrayal of spirituality being higher than the individual - something that can't be completely comprehended. Which is more Kierkegaardian than it is Heideggerian. The entire film is an objective look at the universe, until the ending. Which points to something higher. Terry did do his thesis on the concept of world in Kierkegaard, Heidegger, and Wittgenstein. Other than that there's definitely evidence pointing to Terry being a Christian, specifically Episcopalian. Aside from real life evidence, religion comes up often in his films. Which by no means reflects his actual views, but he's starting to incriminate himself.
>>
File: Absolument dégueulasse.jpg (54 KB, 240x320) Image search: [Google]
Absolument dégueulasse.jpg
54 KB, 240x320
>>66559970
>the interviewer's accent
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.