[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Age and taste.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 112
Thread images: 5
File: 9.png (152 KB, 600x429) Image search: [Google]
9.png
152 KB, 600x429
>Your Age
>Your top 3 favorite directors working today
>Your top 3 least favorite directors working today
>>
>22
>Andrew Bujalski, Sean Baker, Richard Linklater (number 3 could be Abbas Kiarostami, but I haven't really been too drawn to his works from the last two decades)
>Zack Snyder, Alejandro Inarritu, Christopher Nolan
>>
>>66475712

>28

>Malick
>Gibson
>Mann

>Nolan
>Spike Lee
>Ridley Scott in the depths of Senility
>>

malick, refn, ang lee

abrams, inarritu, cuaron
>>
>24

>Ki-duk Kim
>Jason Reitman
>Nicholas the meme machine Refn

>Max Landis
>Nima Nourizadeh
>Eli Roth
>>
>>66475975
super shit taste kill yourself fag
>>
>>66475821
Also, Andrew Haigh, Derek Cianfrance, Myroslav Slaboshpytskiy, James Ponsoldt, and Destin Daniel Cretton are brilliant as well, but they don't really have a large enough filmography yet.

I adore Woody Allen, but his filmography is far too inconsistent for him to be considered a top 3.

I really appreciate Xavier Dolan, despite me usually not caring for melodrama. However, I feel his best work is in the future for him. He's still a bit too young and pretentious at the moment.

Gaspar Noe is a brilliant visual director. Second only to Malick. Far too self indulgent to be seen as anything more than a guilty pleasure though.

I have always been quite fond of Jason Reitman (especially the brilliant 'Young Adult', but his filmography as a whole is pretty inconsistent.

Wes Anderson, Sofia Coppola, Harmony Korine, Terrence Malick, Jim Jarmusch are also filmmakers I greatly appreciate, but fall short of being in my top currently working favorites.
>>
>>66476063
no thank you max
>>
>31
>Korine, Herzog, Malick
I'm not huge on any of their latest stuff, but if I have to choose favorite living directors, they would be it

I can't even think of any least favorite, sorry
>>
>>66476187
Not big on Malick's latest stuff? The New World and To The Wonder are easily my favorites he's done.
>>
harmony korine
wang bing
ben wheatley

jj abrams
noah baumbach
david fincher
>>
>>66476227
I like them well enough, they just don't compare to his earlier works. I tried watching Knight of Cups yesterday and could not get into it at all, so that statement is mostly based on that.
>>
>>66476467
Huh, I haven't seen Knight of Cups yet, but I personally much prefer his later work. For example, despite how much I love Malick, I think Days of Heaven is pretty terrible, I still have yet to see Badlands though.
>>
>>66475961
yikes, i forgot.. dump cuaron and replace him with david russell
>>
>>66476602
Honestly, good choice.
I might replace Nolan in >>66475821 with Russel.
I have serious issues with both though.
>>
>32
>Miller, Bay, Mann
Don't really have least favorites.
>>
>people over the age of 25 on 4chan
why
>>
>>66477370
If you're 17-22 and on 4chan you're a bigger retard, wasting away the best years of your life.
>>
>>66477370
The site has been around for a long time.
I'm only 22 (23 in August) but I've been using the site since I was 12. The fact that we have older (although I wouldn't consider that old at all) isn't really surprising at all.
>>
>>66477370
You must be new. I'm 31 and have been here since the site was born, mainly because nowhere else on the Internet is as entertaining. There are older users on all the boards. I mainly post at work but today I'm sitting around with nothing to do so here I am. My wife is asleep next to me and also browses very irregularly. You don't turn 30 and experience huge life changes. It's the same shit forever.
>>
>>66476988
>Bay
wut
>>
>>66478104
Not him, but Bay is honestly way too over-hated, I find it the current trend of it being cool to hate on Bay quite baffling desu.
He's an auteur in every sense of the word and almost nobody is capable of making crowd pleasing action blockbusters like he is.

The only truly bad films he's made are Pearl Harbor, Transformers 2 (although the writers strike had a lot to do with that), and the fourth Transformers (which its pretty common knowledge that he just did it for the paycheck).

On the other side though, he made The Rock and Pain & Gain.
Not the biggest fan of Armageddon, but that's even in the Criterion collection.
>>
>>66478295
>>>reddit
>>
File: Orson_the_Cat.jpg (223 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
Orson_the_Cat.jpg
223 KB, 1000x750
>Your Age

>Your top 3 favorite directors working today
Werner Herzog
Isao Takahata
Guillermo del Toro

>Your top 3 least favorite directors working today
I don't spend much time thinking about stuff I dislike.
>>
>>66478799
Oh look, another 14 year old who can't have his own opinions, and has also subscribed to the laughable idea that Reddit is the boogeyman simply because it's a popular competitor to 4chan.
To be perfectly frank, I've been coming to 4chan for over a decade now. However, I use Reddit far more than I ever use 4chan nowadays.
On Reddit it's possible to have actual discussion rather than 300+ posts of nothing but insults and shitposting.
/r/TrueFilm alone is far better than /tv/ could ever hope to be.
>>
>>66478295
>(which its pretty common knowledge that he just did it for the paycheck).
But that's every movie he made
>>
File: download.png (11 KB, 194x259) Image search: [Google]
download.png
11 KB, 194x259
>>66475712
>19
>Scorsese, Tarantino, Iñárritu
>Abrams, Snyder, Bay
>>
>>66479188
Please don't post if you don't know what you are talking about.
>>
>>66479229
>Inarritu
How does it feel to be a pretentious poser who knows nothing about film?
>>
>>66479352
>Babel
>Birdman
>Revenant
I unironically love those films
>>
>22
>Christopher Nolan, Gaspar Noe, David Cronenberg
>Guillermo del Toro, Quentin Tarantino, Justin Lin

Michael Bay is actually a pretty decent director desu
>>
>>66475712
>malick
>fincher
>coen bros

>nolan
>tarantino
>wes anderson
>>
>>66479565
Because you know nothing about film.
Inarritu is a fraud.
He surrounds himself with talented people to cover up his own incompetence.
He's incredibly immature, has nothing to say, and is more concerned with garnering acclaim for himself through the work of others rather than creating genuine art.
>>
>>66479565
Also, your choice of Bay also says a lot about your lack of own opinions.
You literally are just parroting off whatever is considered cool to like or dislike at the time.
Bay will have a positive legacy several decades from now, Inarritu will be recognized as the fraud he is.
>>
>>66475821
typical contrarian post college grad wit shit taste desu
>>
>18
>Noé, Refn, Scorsese
>David O Russel, Tom Hooper, Spielberg
>>
>>66479882
lol, you know nothing about taste.
>>
>>66479918
>Spielberg
I'm always conflicted when I see Spielberg listed as a least favorite.
I understand the hate, he's a very immature and naively optimistic man.
However, despite that he's an incredible crowd pleaser and a definite auteur.
>>
>>66479882
How are any of his favorite directors bad?
>>
> 24
> J+E Coen, PTA, Malick
> Chris Nolan, Rian Johnson, JJ Abrams
>>
>>66479635
> Fincher
Fuck I should have included him on mine

It also hurt to leave out Spielberg, Herzog, Mamoru Oshii and Justin Kerzel.
>>
>19 (20 in two weeks)
>Kubrick, Leone and Scorsese
>Nolan, Bay and Snyder
>>
>22
>Jim Jarmusch, Shinya Tsukamoto, Wong Kar Wai
>zack snyder x 3
>>
>>66480146
Yeah, I am against the Spielberg hate. His naïvete comes from an honest place as an auteur, and sometimes it allows him to have truly unique perspectives on his subjects. And his craftsmanship is faultless.
>>
>>66480599
> Kubrick, Leone
> currently working
>>
>22

>Denis Villeneuve
>Shane Carruth
>Sion Sono

>Lars Von Trier
>Paul Feig
>Roland Emmerich
>>
>23

>Werner Herzog, Alexander Payne, Aki Kaurismäki

>Snyder, JJ Abrams, Inarritu
>>
>>66478799
>muh buzzwords
Grow the fuck up
>>
Favorite: Carruth, Nichols, Villeneuve
Least Favorite: Snyder, Dolan,O' Russell
>>

Robert Bresson, Luis Buñuel, Zack Snyder

Joss Whedon, Judd Apatoe, Paul Feig
>>
>>66481516
Try harder with the bait.
>>

Tarantino, Nolan, Scorsese

David O Russel, JJ Abrams, Michael Bay
>>
guy who directed the pest
>>
>all this Nolan hate
Why? TDKR? He's made some great stuff. Following and The Prestige are kino.
>>
Hello millennials!
>>
>>66481717
His exposition is insulting and he can't pace for shit.
He also considers himself a far better director than he is.
He's glorified popcorn fluff.
>>
>>66481658
snyder makes kino, he's one of the best visual storytellers since the silent era. Sucker Punch is an underrated, so far the only great American film of the decade and a masterpiece. Snyder's work will age well when people actually see the themes and symbolism of his films in 10 years.
>>
File: da panda.jpg (394 KB, 3500x2625) Image search: [Google]
da panda.jpg
394 KB, 3500x2625
>>66475712
>23

>Hong Sang-soo
>Raúl Ruiz
>Cristi Puiu

>McG
>Nancy Meyers
>The Spierig Bros
>>
>>66475712
>28
>Del Taco, Tarantula, Clint Eastwood
>Memestopher Nolan, David o'Russell, Inarrburrito

pls no bully
>>
>>66479706
kek and you do?

All of his films have a similar aesthetic/style and he's worked with a ton of different people. Surely you can't be so retarded as to suggest that it's a coincidence and has nothing to do with him. Though the biggest testament to his competence as a filmmaker is that his films have all been critically successful, the fact that he's been able to get his vision down onto the screen time and time again without any hiccups speaks volumes for his talents as a director. Making the films he intended to make, and executing them flawlessly, is a good enough measure of his skill.

I'm guessing you've never seen anything he's made, because you'd know his films are ripe with themes and have a lot to say, and they're not exactly subtle either. Just listen to the guy talk about any one of his films in interviews and you can immediately tell he's very passionate about the subject matter of his movies. But of course, a mouth breathing retard like yourself can't find the time to actually watch movies because you spend so much time shitposting on /tv/.
>>
>>66479565
you should unironically stop living
>>
>>66475712
>18
>Richard Linklater, Danny Boyle, PTA
>Bryan Singer, Xavier Dolan, Dennis Dugan
>>
>>66482145
What's wrong with the Spierig Bros.?
>>
>>66482120
No.
Sucker Punch is one of the worst films I have ever seen. It is a self indulgent, pointless, plotless mess.
You have no idea what you are talking about.
Also, any attempt at symbolism in his films are hamfisted and unsubtle to a laughable degree.
He's literally a frat bro manchild glorified music director.
You are a fraud.
>>
>>66482336
Probably nothing much, I bet they're decent people.
>>
>>66482300
Tell me exactly why Birdman was so deep?
It was extremely unsubtle, juvenile, and all the supposed "critique" was extremely surface level, and self masturbatory.
You are simply a gullible fool.
Watch more movies, immerse yourself more into the artform and one day you'll recognize how foolish you sound right now.
Being technically competent and picking people more talented than you to work with does not mean you are a good director with anything to say or show.
>>
>>66482348
This.
Snyder is a superficial idiot who thinks he's making smart movies, but all he's capable of is a bunch of pretty visuals.
He's basically Michael Bay for the idiotic fanboy/geek crowd.
>>
>>66482618
Take that back. Michael Bay is a gifted technical director and one of the most sincere men in Hollywood.
>>
>>66482618
Except Michael Bay at least is competent (more than simply competent in my opinion) at making turn your brain off, crowd pleasing action films.
He also knows what types of movies he's making, and never tries to pretend his films are something they are not, unlike Snyder.
>>
>>66482348
sucker punch is more clever and daring than the revenant, and it has so much symbolism it's not even funny, most of it being more subtle and unnoticed than any inarritu effort. inarritu beats bludgeons you because he doesn't know any other way and is afraid that he won't get recognition if it's unnoticed, snyder is based enough not to give a fuck and care more about the art itself than the response. not the guy you're responding to btw.
>>
>>66482423
Yeah. I meant as directors. They've only made what, three movies? Of those, I've seen Undead and Daybreakers, and I thought they were pretty good.
Doesn't seem like "worst today" material to me. It's not like they're Shaun Rana or something.
>>
>when you get skipped and nobody comments on your taste
ayyy
>>
>>66482868
Snyder and Inarritu are the two biggest hacks working in Hollywood today.
Also, if you genuinely believe what you are saying about Snyder than I truly pity you.
This has to just be really dedicated bait though.
>>
>>66482868
>Zack Snyder
>Meaningful symbolism
>HEY GUYS, ISN'T SUPERDUDE LIKE, JUST LIKE JESUS! BOOM BOOM, SLOW BOOM, FAST BOOM, BOOM BOOM BOOM!
>>
>>66483053
>he fell for the superman is like jesus meme

looks like snyder trolled the fuck out of you too
>>

Gomes, Oppenheimer, PTA or Kairostami (like the older stuff more)

Snyder, cant think of others i really dislike this much
>>
>>66482804
>>66482867

Alright, that's true. I mostly meant in terms of shallowness of the films themselves. MB is at least honest about his movies being pure popcorn nonsense. Snyder's movies are just as dumb, but he and his fanboys like to pretend they're deep and subversive.
>>
>>66482898
I have no idea who Shaun Rana is. I just know I've hated everything the Spierig bros have made, and me hating a movie is pretty rare, to be honest. Predestination made me angrier than any other movie has.
>>
>>66475821
>>66476115
Are you me?
>>
File: Trashed.jpg (83 KB, 680x680) Image search: [Google]
Trashed.jpg
83 KB, 680x680
>>66475821
>Andrew Bujalski

Stopped reading right there.
>>
>>66483595
Bujalski and Baker are the two best naturalist directors working today.
I won't even lie, that I prefer their filmography thus far to my main two favorites Rohmer and Ozu.
Do you have a reason to dislike Bujalski, or are you just trying to be a contrarian?
>>
>>66483496
Most likely not.
>>
>>66483268
Shaun Rana directed exactly one movie, and it's one of the worst pieces of shit I ever had the displeasure to watch: The Westbrick Murders.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnfnVjTjE_8
(This is a guy who listed his own name about 40 times in the credits of that movie)

What exactly made you so angry about Predestination? I'm genuinely curious. The trailers made it look like a pretty accurate adaptation of Heinlein's "All you Zombies".
>>
Speaking of Sean Baker though, if anybody were to direct a new Mad Max movie other than George Miller, I think that Baker would be the perfect man for the job after seeing how he handles a fast paced, visually engaging, yet still naturalistic film like Tangerine.
>>
>22
>Asghar Farhadi, Jeff Nichols, Michael Haneke

I don't really care enough about people I dislike.
>>
>>66475712
>19
>Quentin Dupieux, Wachowskis, Linklater
I don't really *hate* any director; if I don't like them I just don't watch their movies. I'd say JJ Abrams is the one I hate the most, because that man just doesn't know how to direct or pace.
>>
>>66483839
>Predestination

The way it completely lacked any kind of subtlety or mystery. It showed you something, than told you the same thing, then told you the same thing again in case you missed it the second time, that kind of thing. Nothing pisses me off like a movie treating me like an idiot. That's the major thing, I suppose, but on top of that I think it's a very ugly movie. Poorly scripted as well, stilted dialogue, holy-shit-that's-terrible acting... The whole premise is utter nonsense, and the movie thinks it's so fucking clever.
>>
>>66482348
> actually responding to this bait
>>
>>66484575
>pace
I disagree entirely.
JJ Abrams is brilliant with eye candy action movies.
He just needs to work with better writers.
>>
>>66481717
Film is a visual medium.
If you have to have forced verbal exposition to explain to your audience everything that's happening on-screen then you are not a good director.
>>
>>66484683
Yeah, that sounds pretty bad. The premise, admittedly is taken directly from the old short story (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_You_Zombies), but I suppose it's something that just doesn't work as a film.
>>
>>66485253
I haven't read the short story, but I've heard it's supposed to be good. I mean, it's obviously worked for a lot of other people, but it's not my cup of tea.
>>
>>66475712

>28

>favorite working
Villeneuve
del Toro
Kitano

>least favorite
I don't give a fuck
>>
>24
>Wai, Kiarostami, Malick
>Snyder, Inarritu, Noe
>>
>27
>David Lynch, Jim Jarmusch, Richard Linklater
>Michael Haneke
>>
>20
>Villeneuve, Malick, Fincher
>Snyder, Besson, Gilliam
>>
fucking pretentious assholes, all of you.
>>
Linklatter, Sofia Coppola, Malick
JJ Abrams, Joss Whedon, Aronofsky
>>
Why does everyone hate Abrams so much?
>>
>>66479565
Couldn't agree with you more, Anon.
>>
>>66493523
>being proud of being ignorant
Okay.
>>
kubrick's ghost, 2, 3
too pleb to know or care, 2, 3
>>
>>
Aronofsky, Refn, Lynch
Spielberg, Nolan, Abrams
>>
Oh look, a bunch of pretentious contrarian millennials naming off directors that nobody has ever heard of, and shitting on the ones who actually do make money because they are actually good.
Fucking faggots.
>>
>>66503670
Can you go be autistic somewhere else?
>>
I guess the consensus is in.
Zack Snyder is objectively the worst director working today.
>>
>>66507446
the consensus of plebs
>>
>>66475712
>12

>James Gunn
>Joss Whedon
>Ryan Reynolds

>George Lucas
>Steven Spielberg
>can't think of any others
>>
>>66475712

''No''
>>
What's the Goodnight Punpun of film or tv?
>>
>>66514029
Boyhood, in a far more optimistic way.
Follows a boy from early childhood all the way to the end of adolescence and doesn't really sugar coat things.
Thread replies: 112
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.