[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just watched X-Men: The Last Stand. It was meh. Should I bother
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 9
I just watched X-Men: The Last Stand. It was meh. Should I bother watching X-Men Origins: Wolverine or can I skip over it? Do all of them kind of suck?

Also they made a second Wolverine movie?
>>
X2, Days of Future Past and Deadpool are the great ones

X1, First Class and The Wolverine are okay

X3 and Origins suck shit
>>
>>66458163
This, but I'd bump X1 up a tier.

Also, X3 is bad, but Origins is far, far worse.
>>
>>66458163
>Days Of Future Past
>great
Nope, sadly it was mediocre.
>>
>>66458163
>>66458198
Not sure why, but Origins is one of the only Xmen flicks I like. Actually, the only one, unless you consider Deadpool.

I even bought it on Bluray.
>>
X-Men 1: Skip unless you have time and are bored.
X2: Definitely watch.
Last Stand: BIG SKIP.
Origins: BIG SKIP.
First Class: Watch.
The Wolverine: Skip.
Days of Future Past: Watch.
Deadpool: Watch.
>>
>>66458163
The Wolverine is so far from the level of First Class. A handful of decent action scenes but that's all it has going for it. The whole "Logan still can't fucking get over Jean Grey even when he's lying in bed with a beautiful Japanese amazon" subplot will make you hate him.
>>
>>66458263
terrible
>>
>>66458163
Ok, yeah I remember liking X2 but it was a long time ago when I saw it. And I thought X1 was decent.

I'd like to know how important the continuity between the films is though. Like if it's cool to skip Origins and all that. I wouldn't have minded not seeing X3 but seeing as how they killed or re-killed three of the most important X-men, and three other serious characters "lost their powers," and they even introduced a couple that might stick around, it seems like it would have been odd to miss all of that.
>>
>>66458163
>>66458163

first class is spectacular.

better than days of future past
>>
>>66458296
It is totally cool to skip Origins (and most of X3) because, and I am not trying to spoil anything here, but Days of Future Past basically erases those two movies (and most of The Wolverine) from existence.
>>
>>66458033
>I'M DA FUCKING JUGGERNAUT, BITCH!
>>
>>66458296
Watch 1,2 and 3. Then watch First Class and Days of Future. Finish on Deadpool.
>>
>>66458209
>>66458270
>>66458327
The more I think about it. You guys are right.
>>
>>66458342
Well I knew there was some kind of time-travelling schtick which could potentially lead to reshaping the future and all that so I get it. Thanks.
>>
X-Men 1: watch
X2: watch
Last Stand: S
Origins: K
First Class: I
The Wolverine: P
Days of Future Past: Watch
Deadpool: Watch.
>>
>>66458033
days of future past all you really need, seeing as it retconned the previous movies
>>
Why does everyone in here have wrong opinions?

What you should watch
>X-Men
>X-2
>First Class
>Days of Future Past

Everything else is what you watch when curiosity gets the better of you and you think, "Hey, they can't be that bad."
>>
File: X-Men-600x450.jpg (74 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
X-Men-600x450.jpg
74 KB, 600x450
>>66458263
I'll go into more detail.

X-MEN 1
It's the first film and, for that reason, I can understand why some might urge you to watch it. However, it's also not really that great.

Now, the thing to understand about the X-Men films is that, in general, they're Wolverine stories. This isn't a bad thing, you kind of need someone to lead the films, but in the first Wolverine, he's the only character who really gets any kind of characterization and character arc. Other characters like Storm, Cyclops, Jean Grey, and practically every villain that isn't Magneto is utterly wasted.

It's not all bad. The casting was good. Patrick Stewart as Xavier is what everyone wanted. It's just too bad he is under-utilized in this film in favor of Wolverine.

The costumes are bad. There's a scene where Cyclops quips, "What, would you rather have yellow spandex?" to Wolverine and I'm like, yeah, I'd rather see him in his signature outfit than in your tacticool baggy black leather that looks awful.

Overall, I can't recommend it. There's nothing you learn here that you need to know. The X-Men series is very generous in that it lets you know what you need to know in each movie, so each movie works as its own stand-alone. So, really, just skip it unless you really can't get enough X-Men.
>>
Watch the first half of origins until the point where the team breaks off its bretty gud before that

also Liev Schreiber literally carried that heaping pile of shit
>>
>>66458033
>It was meh
I wish.
>>
File: famke.jpg (310 KB, 1280x546) Image search: [Google]
famke.jpg
310 KB, 1280x546
It just hit me that OP has already probably watched the first two since he was just asking about the Wolverine flicks.

Anyway, I want to dump loads in Famke Janssen and Rebecca Romijn.
>>
File: 20120705-104036.jpg (577 KB, 1000x1500) Image search: [Google]
20120705-104036.jpg
577 KB, 1000x1500
>>66458691
X2 X-MEN UNITED
X2 is easily the best of the original trilogy, possibly the best X-Men movie ever.

Unlike the first film, while Wolverine is the lead, other characters have their own character arcs and do things in the story that are important. They do a lot better job here of making an X-Men movie that is actually about the X-Men.

The main villain is really compelling here. He's unique in that he has no super powers at all. He's just a normal human being who is very, very afraid of humans, and perhaps rightfully so, but it also leads him to doing really horrible things. There's nuance to the character, he's not just GRR I HATE ALL MUTANTS.

There is, as usual, a doomsday device, but the heart of the story is about humans fearing mutants, and how that fear leads them to doing some pretty shitty stuff. They tie this in to similar real world issues without being too heavy handed about it.

The costumes are still lousy, but they spend a lot of their time out of them.

Overall, I've got to recommend X2.
>>
>>66458234
well at least you admit to shit taste
>>
I recently rewatch X3 and while it does fuck up the pheonix in every imaginable way, the mutant cure storyline was well done. End battle was a bit crap too. But all in all, it wasn't that bad a movie.

Dark Pheonix - Fail
Mutant cure - pretty good
>>
>>66458327
agreed. First Class is the best of the X movies. X2 was good but not First Class over all movie and story good. This is before JLaw became a super cunt and she actually acted. Her performance in Days of Future Past was fucking terrible. It was like "get me out of this franchise I dont need you any more" type acting.
>>
origins was the greatest love story ever told
>>
>>66458894
X3 X-MEN THE LAST STAND
X3 is everything that X1 did wrong amplified. It's probably the worst X-Men film.

Once again, they scrap all other characters for Wolverine. Nobody else gets a moment. They even kill off Cyclops, a main character, and act like it's nothing. Hey, if it didn't happen to Wolverine, it doesn't matter.

I think the worst instance of this is Beast. Beast was perfectly cast. You have Kelsey Grammar, Frasier, as Beast. He's basically everyone's casting choice for Beast, sort of like Patrick Stewart was as Xavier. And the costume looks great, the blue fur looks fantastic. And what does he do? He jumps on bad guys at the end. That's it. It's just a waste.

The kid they got as Angel sucked. Angel is this pompous, bigshot rich kid and you get some whiny, emo waif to play him.

The plot is fucking moronic. It's all over the place, only stitched together by scenes of Wolverine fighting.

Juggernaut meme they just had to add in. Completely wasting characters like Psylocke. The horrible CGI in that Iceman versus Pyro fight that reminded me of the Human Torch in Corman's Fantastic Four.

The movie sucked. Skip at all costs.
>>
>>66459028
I don't want to talk a ton about the Wolverine movies. They're both bad. The first one is worse because it actively ruins Gambit and Deadpool and all the CGI in it is just lousy. The second one is better but still bad because it's fucking boring and nothing happens. The irony is that Wolverine movies are better when they're X-Men movies. Just don't watch any film with "Wolverine" in the title and you'll be fine.
>>
>>66459028
>It's probably the worst X-Men film
Origin is worse. Yes, it's somehow possible.
>>
>>66459028
Seems like you missed the Mystique case.
>>
>>66459028
>Angel on the cover and all promo material in full X-Men gear
>In the movie for 5 minutes at the most
>Never suits up or even joins the team

gg
>>
>>66458991
Yeah I also enjoyed the mutant cure plot, seemed like a great catalysis for the final movie in a trilogy
>>
File: x-men first class.jpg (179 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
x-men first class.jpg
179 KB, 1280x720
>>66459064
X-MEN FIRST CLASS
First Class is wonderful. It's one of the few X-Men movies where Wolverine isn't the main character (his cameo is brilliant, though). So right off the bat, points for them for trying something different.

The biggest thing it does right is getting the time period right. It really feels like it's in the 1960's, from wardrobe to backgrounds to how the characters talk and act. Even the plot of it is very 60's.

The cast is all really great except for Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique. Rebecca Romijn-Stamos was sexy as hell as Mystique, and Lawrence just pales in comparison. She's just weird and awkward and unsure of herself. Now you might say, "Okay, but that's because she's younger" and I might agree but I feel like it made more sense, if you have to have that character, for it to be a different mutant. Jennifer Lawrence didn't have to be Mystique. You could have hired her as another mutant altogether and it would have made more sense.

The plot, again, is doomsday weapon, but there's more to it than that. Magneto is also after revenge, so there's more at stake than "bad guy is gonna blow up the world."

I really loved the costumes here and it's a shame they've abandoned them. They're a callback to the original costumes but at the same time seem like they have a function.

I feel like some of the other characters could have been given more, Havok and others are wasted, but between Xavier, Magneto, Mystique, and even Beast, they're already spreading things out between the characters.

Overall, this is a really good film and I recommend watching it. Hell, start here.
>>
>>66459237
Are the heads shopped on here? Fucking hell.
>>
File: 1450802339266.png (26 KB, 128x128) Image search: [Google]
1450802339266.png
26 KB, 128x128
>>66458033
>Juggs
>mutant
>>
File: xmen-days-of-future-past.jpg (250 KB, 1000x524) Image search: [Google]
xmen-days-of-future-past.jpg
250 KB, 1000x524
>>66459237
X-MEN DAYS OF FUTURE PAST
If you can only watch one movie with X-Men in the title, I'd say go with this one. It takes everything X-Men First Class did right and does it better.

Wolverine is the main lead and yet the story ultimately isn't about him, it's about Xavier, Magneto, and (to a lesser extent) Mystique. Lawrence, by the way, is a bit better as Mystique here than she was in First Class, but Rebecca still outdoes it.

Like X2, the main villain is a non-mutant normal human being. Trask doesn't hate mutants (rather, he's fascinated by them) but rather his motivation is more towards the survival of the human race. He's a really interesting character.

Like with First Class, they really nail the feeling that this film is in the 1970s.

When I first saw those Burger King ads of Quicksilver, I was like "dear god this character looks stupid" and then he completely steals the show because they let him take the spotlight for a moment (I guess mostly because they wanted to do him better than Marvel's Avengers 2, which they completely succeed).

Ultimately, this is the X-Men film to watch right here.
>>
>>66459308
Head are shopped and buttons are shopped. It's a really, really bad photo.
>>
>>66459436
I liked Quickslav. He could've been one of the better MCU characters if he had more than a bit role in one movie before getting Whedon'd.
>>
>>66459436
don't watch the rogue cut of this ever
>>
>>66459436
>wolverine has adamantium claws in pic
>has bone claws in film
what did they mean by this?
>>
>>66459436
Oh, I missed the best part of Days of Future Past: it erases all those bad films. Bye-bye Origins. Bye-bye X3. You no longer exist.

DEADPOOL
A movie /tv/ wanted to hate but has grown to love. The best part of Deadpool is that it shrugs off all the dumb tropes of superhero movies. It's a small personal story about Deadpool getting revenge and getting his girl back. There's no doomsday device, no cities getting destroyed, no high stakes. It's just a story about Deadpool. And we don't wait an hour for Wade to become Deadpool.

The humor in it is fine. I didn't laugh a ton, but I also didn't find any of the jokes offensive.

I'd say the downside is the love story can drag and the villains aren't that great, but overall, you should watch it. Recommended.
>>
>>66459596
That's Old Man Wolverine in the pic (you can tell by the gray hair streak). Old Man Wolverine had metal claws in the film.

Only Young Man Wolverine had the bone claws.
>>
>>66459352
Within the lore of the X-Men Cinematic Universe, Juggernaut is a mutant, as evidenced by him losing his mutant powers when he gets too close to Jimmy, the kid who neutralizes mutant powers.
>>
>>66459596

He had adamantium in the future and bone claws in the past.

This was not a blink and you'll miss it kind of thing, we see Kitty get stabbed in the future.
>>
the Workprint of Origins is essential viewing tbqh
>>
>>66459436
>Trask
>not a mutant

Top kek
>>
>>66459783
>he turns on the mutant detector
>it doesn't detect him
>it detects mystique
>>
>>66459512
what's wrong with it? I always expected it to be good
>>
>>66459840

Dwarf joke.
>>
>>66459899

Adds fucking nothing
>>
>>66459922
this. Im pretty sure the director added this just so he could have more time to make his film but in reality he just wanted more time to fuck more underage boys while getting paid.
>>
>>66459899
It's just a huge dud. The scenes move at slower than a crawling pace. It's just screen time for a different character for the sake of it but there's absolutely nothing to enjoy in it. The person who cut that out of the movie earned their money.
>>
>>66459906
Pretty sure there are no dwarves in X-Men. You're thinking of Lord of the Rings.
>>
>>66460058
Yeah, Puck is in Alpha Flight, now Carol Danvers work out buddy and hopefully soon fuck buddy
>>
>>66458795
For me, "meh" means "I didn't like it but it didn't make me laugh out loud when I wasn't supposed to or want to jump off a cliff afterwards." I mean, there are some hints of something good in there.
>>
>>66458033
>Also they made a second Wolverine movie?
Bretty good imo, the jap waifu is hot.
>>
>>66458033
>Should I bother watching X-Men Origins: Wolverine or can I skip over it?
Skip all of it.
How about quitting capeshit altogether?
>>
>>66461278

>I come into threads I don't like and act like a big ol' meanie cuz i don't like thing

Kill yourself.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.