[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where were you when you realized that Chappie is this generation's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 8
File: chappie.jpg (716 KB, 2400x1800) Image search: [Google]
chappie.jpg
716 KB, 2400x1800
Where were you when you realized that Chappie is this generation's Blade Runner? It's an uneven film but it makes the future real and has it's own world.
>>
>>66456228
you're shitposting but I think it's a worthwhile movie to see. It has big flaws and is far from a Blade Runner but in the parts it shines, it really does. I think critics just got put off by South African gangsters. If you had set the movie in LA with all the gangsters as black, RT score would've easily gone up 15%.
>>
What happened is people are conflating their dislike of Blomkamp's politics with his filmmaking. He's a good director, but children can't appreciate films that don't give them hollow pleasantries.
>>
File: ayyy.jpg (25 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
ayyy.jpg
25 KB, 600x450
>>66457055

Are you suggesting a movie with Die Antwoord starring in it is in any way patrician?
>>
Great premise, worst casting and ending I have ever seen in my entire life
>>
>>66457092
But Lynch and Korine love them!
>>
>>66456605
Being in South Africa was fine.

The problem was die antward, they were fucking terrible. Get rid of them and cast some actors playing so regular gangsters, focus a little more on jackman hating the idea of AI (rather than just pushing his retarded walking tank) and you'd have a quality movie
>>
Die Antwoord is hit or miss
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbW9JqM7vho
>>
The ending becomes a little contrived, but it's really quite a well made movie.

In 10-15 years it will be a lot more well received than it is now.
>>
>>66457092
>it has rappers in it
>muh high art distinction
What's it like to be incredibly superficial? The rappers didn't write or direct Chappie, they're actors.
>>
>>66456228
I've always liked Chappie
>>
File: 1456483225910.jpg (138 KB, 1075x603) Image search: [Google]
1456483225910.jpg
138 KB, 1075x603
>>66457179
>they're actors
no they're not
they didn't even act for a second of the entire duration
>>
>>66457205
In fact there isn't a single Neill Blomkamp movie I don't like although I admit his writing is full of dead ends and plot holes.
>>
>>66457172
It's well made at times, at other times it's awful.

I will admit that the special effects were fantastic, same with Elysium.

>>66457179
What acting?

The had the same names, the same personalities, wore clothes with their fucking band name on it while having their music playing in the background. It's about as much acting as a movie starring Kiss.
>>
File: 1451742042779.gif (560 KB, 300x203) Image search: [Google]
1451742042779.gif
560 KB, 300x203
I think the more realistic comparison you were trying to make is Short Circuit, anon.
>>
>>66457234
He definitely has potential. I do like all of his movies to a degree, but they all have flaws. They few very amateur, and I mean that in a completely neutral sense, he needs to refine his shit a bit and he could be a fantastic director
>>
File: 2000px-Flag_Schutzstaffel.svg.png (49 KB, 2000x1333) Image search: [Google]
2000px-Flag_Schutzstaffel.svg.png
49 KB, 2000x1333
>>66456228
It's a bunch of collaborationistic bullshit. Anyone who thinks any other form of "life" form should enjoy same rights and freedoms that we do should be taken out back and shot. Especially if that life form is a hunk of fucking metal.
>>
>>66456228
>It's an uneven film but it makes the future real and has it's own world.

that's not even close to what makes blade runner appealing

and blade runner is not uneven, it's paced pretty perfectly
>>
>>66457322
>rights of AI
That isn't what the movie was about at all though. It was about humans reactions to AI, and an AI's reaction to society
>>
>>66457402
The whole thing was set up to show how awful humans are for not wanting to acknowledge AI as their equal and having legit emotions.
>>
File: 11333.jpg (43 KB, 473x500) Image search: [Google]
11333.jpg
43 KB, 473x500
>>66457179
>They're actors
Nobody said it was automatically bad because it has rappers in it, you dip.
>>
>>66457421
>awful humans are for not wanting to acknowledge AI as their equal and having legit emotion
They never bring up equality or that shit once.
The movie simply highlights how people would react to AI, irrational hatred (jackman), a tool to manipulate (gangsters), a living being (Yolandi and the creator). It never actually discusses or analysis these views as well, it just simply shows them.

You could draw parallels to children and how people view, raise and treat them, but it absolutely does not try to tackle robot "rights" or anything like that
>>
>>66457588
>They never bring up equality or that shit once.
Do you take everything this literally? The whole premise is fucking Pinocchio "I'm a real boy" all over again. And evul humanz not liking chappie because of that.
>>
>>66457632
>And evul humanz not liking chappie because of that.
It's literally one guy with an irrational hatred of ai while trying to push his retarded design.

>Do you take everything this literally?
No, I just don't insert themes into a movie it never actually tackles. Yeah it is like Pinocchio and that movie didn't tackle rights or anything like that either you fucking idiot, it was about what it meant to be a good person, not fucking puppet rights. Fucking hell you are dumb.
>>
is it better or worse than Her?
>>
>>66456228
>muh "storyline"
>muh "worldbuilding"
>>
>>66457759
Just because you didn't see it doesn't mean it isn't there.
>>
>>66457234
I think you're mixing gaps in the story with plot holes, but then again i see where your going with this
>>
>>66457792
let me guess, you're that guy that pastes random sentences from books together to just enjoy the prose without the story? Fuck off
>>
>>66457862
>muh ignorance
>muh missing the point
>muh not muh memes
>>
Elysium > Memestrict 9 > Chappie
prove me wrong
>>
>>66457104

I love Blomkamp's endings, he always leaves you wondering if the right choice was made or not.
>>
>>66457922
>muh can't put a sentence together without saying muh
>>
>>66458045
Modification:
Elysium > Memestrict 9 > .......Chappie

Some criticisms:
In Chappie the machine interfaces harken back to 1980s 286 PC orange. Not very innovative as it just shows what Blomkamp grew up with.
The Tetravaal company designing and manufacturing military grade robots in South Africa. Fat chance.
A voice for Chappie that elicits violent emotions to want to kill the machine out of principle.
Yolandi Visser. Her voice. Aaaarggh.
Plot holes the size of the Kimberley crater.

By the time Blomkamp decides to return to district 9 his audiences patience will have run out. Also he's talked about a PREQUEL. Yes not the story the audience wants e.g. who the masters of the roaches are, but rehashed bullshit we've already seen.

Chappie is no Bladerunner and the comparison is offensive.
>>
FOCK YU CHAPPY
>>
>>66457816
You really proved your point with a well thought out post and convincing examples, well done.

...just one example of a scene backing your opinion would have sufficed, but nope, to much to ask I guess.
>>
>>66458401
A sequel to district 9 is the stupidest idea possible.

It's the single easiest way to spot a complete pleb.
>>
>>66457224
you know they're just playing at being hard trashy rappers right? die antwoord are upper middle class art school kids
>>
>>66458695
O rly?
Blomkamp can draw from his childhood experiences. e.g. Robotec. Massive humanoids who keep the roaches as slaves.
Its not hard to think up something new.
Niel, a prequel will tank.
>>
>>66456228
It fucking sucked. Don't drag Blade Runner through the gutter by comparing them.
>>
>>66458745
Oh I forgot: Robotec also features Intergalactic battleships.
>>
>>66458401
>In Chappie the machine interfaces harken back to 1980s 286 PC orange.
i work as embedded programmer in a company where we also got ai guys(funny enough one doctor was working on autonomous robots before he started in our company).
the company is 100% linux(except one macbook for the boss, but no windows on one single machine) and most developers are 100% console with vi/mutt and other stuff

forget all the hipster fancy parallax scrolling single page frontned crap, when it comes close to metal you are on console......

tl;dr : you would wonder how many (embedded)programmers work like that
>>
>>66459723
Orange on black is mid to late 80s.
Green on black is early 80s and 70s. This uncludes DOS/CPM, 3270 and VT100.
Linux shell interfaces are usually white on black.
Programmers are too lazy to change shell colors because then you have to remember to change environment variables every time or change the shell startup script and include it in the build.
So where did Blomkamp get his idea?
>>
>>66460137
He probably played dig dug on his 286 with a CGA card.
>>
>>66456228

It's dog shit.

2/10.
>>
>>66458745
You don't get it do you.

It's not about coming up with an idea for the prawns masters, it's that sequel would shit all over the themes of the first movie. The first movie works better without a sequel.
>>
>>66457055

>Le edgy Short Circuit meets Robocop

>Political

It's just a complete pile of shit as a concept. He's a good director but a fucking awful script.
>>
>>66460241
ok, I tried.
Go make the prequel faggot.
>>
>>66458695
>A sequel to district 9 is the stupidest idea possible

It would probably go very badly for humanity.
>>
I honestly think elysium was better.
It had a better world, plot, characters and plot.
Plus Krueger was God tier.

Don't try to pretend they're anywhere near BR though.
>>
File: Untitled.png (430 KB, 1304x1814) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
430 KB, 1304x1814
>>66460137
>Linux shell interfaces are usually white on black.
in vim it's a simple "colorscheme : murphy" to get green text(see image), but most programmers i know prefer a solarized theme.
>Programmers are too lazy to change shell colors because then you have to remember to change environment variables every time or change the shell startup script and include it in the build.
if you are too blonde/lazy to set your shell variables or edit your .bashrc or .vimrc you've mischoosen your profession... maybe some faget with a bachelor in feminist java business object stylesheet design

>So where did Blomkamp get his idea?
By watching real Programmers and because all the fancy multi-touch crap isn't scifi anymore.
>>
>>66456228

I hated every fucking second of it, especially the human leads. My uncle said that it was his favorite movie of the year so I forced myself to sit through it.

It's really sad that I'm not close enough with my uncle to call his taste shit make him watch something patrician for a change, like Deadpool for example.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.