[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just finished Mad Max. Is Road Warrior significantly better?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (112 KB, 1200x789) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
112 KB, 1200x789
Just finished Mad Max. Is Road Warrior significantly better? Because that was long, drawn out and still anti climatic. The only real positive was how bizarre it was.
>>
>itt: pleb that thought he was gonna watch another fury road
>>
why did you watch that garbage?
>>
I didn't really like the original Mad Max either. Road Warrior is much better, and is more of the post apocalyptic setting that the series is known for.
>>
>>66453776
lol, why are you lying? It's more slow, drawn out, australian cars meandering down empty highways for two hours. The mad max series overall is pretty boring.
>>
I like the first Mad Max. I thought it was pretty well-made for a film of its budget and limited resources. The opening scene is one of my favorite car chase sequences ever, to be completely honest. I hate the score though, as well as some of the tone shifts. Other then that it's a classic of the 70s post-apocalyptic/dystopian era.
>>
>>66453911
Honestly, how did you like the intro chase so much? It was just a bunch of retards fucking up until Max gets off his ass, bumps the guys butt and he starts crying.
>>
>>66453582
>why did you watch that garbage?
Op didn't watch Fury Road, silly.
>>
GROW YAWSELF A BEAHD
>>
FR >>> RW >>> MM >>> BT
>>
Road Warrior > Mad Max > Fury Road >>>>> Beyond Thunderdome

This is the universally accepted ranking
>>
>>66453529

Mad Max is a slow movie with a clear low budget. The kick in the balls is that Road Warrior gives you a tl;dw version of Mad Max. Sure you miss out on all the weirdness and whatever, but you arent exactly ruining shit for yourself.

I still think Mad Max is worth the watch, but Road Warrior is a better movie overall and thats when it goes into a true apoc setting.
>>
Each Mad Max movie feels like it belongs to a different franchise.
>>
But Toecutter was great.
>>
>>66454653
That's because the budget got progressively bigger with each movie, allowing for the setting and plot to get more elaborate.
The first film was on a shoestring budget so they had to settle for a town on the fringe of society's gradual collapse. With Road Warrior they made it even more post-apocalyptic, and in Thunderdome they had the budget to go all out. Fury Road has the largest budget of them all, but is somewhat similar in visual aesthetic to Road Warrior.
>>
OBJECTIVE POWER RANKINGS

GOD TIER
Road Warrior

HIGH TIER
First Half - Beyond Thunderdome

OKAY TIER
Fury Road

MEH TIER
Mad Max

SHIT TIER
Second Half - Beyond Thunderdome
>>
>>66454131
>>66454161
Can someone explain to me why Beyond Thunderdome is considered bad?
>>
>>66454819
The first segment with Barter Town is top notch. But the lost kids segment quickly ruins everything.

>Meeeeestuh Waaaalkuh
>Bydie-Bye to the Aero-Plane!
>>
>>66454864
The train scene was great though.
>>
>>66453529
Road Warrior is much more entertaining and interesting.
Technically it's a continuous series, but it's also just sort of a remake of the same movie with a bigger budget and more experienced director.

Evil Dead and Terminator are kind of similar in that regard.
>>
>>66455196
Not at all
Mad max 1 was the world in a collapse. its the raiders just getting started and the police force being the last try of control
>>
>>66453529

Road Warrior is way better
>>
Road Warrior is better, but Toecutter is the best villain in the franchise.
>>
I prefer Mad Max to Road Warrior, fucking fight me.

Both are great movies though. I think most people's beef with MM is that they watch it expecting Road Warrior instead of seeing the series as "during collapse", "after collapse", and "rebuilding from collapse".

That being said Thunderdome and Fury Road were shit, though Fury Road had some of the best action sequences. It was the weakest of the four on a narrative standpoint.
>>
>>66453529
Yeah the first blew it's budget on that first chase scene which was well worth it desu

Its pretty slow but the aesthetics and ideas presented are really powerful.

Road warrior was much more entertaining. The first mad Max is just nostalgic I think for most people which is why it's so popular.

Third one is trash by the way. If you decide to follow till the third you'll appreciate the first way more and see where I'm coming from
>>
Patrician - Mad Max, Beyond Thunderdome
Pleb - Road Warrior
Reddit - Fury Road
>>
>>66455331
Yea but there's a huge disconnect where the entire world has drastically changed as if decades or centuries have passed, but Max has only aged a couple of years.
It's less of a straight remake than Evil Dead 1 & 2, but it still gives you the impression that Road Warrior is the movie he wanted to make, but had to settle for Mad Max due to lack of money.

There's also weird shit like the gyrocopter pilot being in Road Warrior and Beyond Thunderdome, but not actually being the same character, even though it's the same actor and everything.
>>
>>66455649
How the fuck is beyond thunderdome not pleb?
>>
>>66455586
>I think most people's beef with MM is that they watch it expecting Road Warrior

I actually watched it knowing very little about it. It's tedious and badly dated.

Also every brief description of the movie I see online ("Cop seeks revenge on gang after they murder his wife and child") is actually a description of the ending to the fucking movie.
>>
>>66455711
because it's unpopular anon
>>
>>66453776
This.
>>
I watched the whole series for the first time last year. With no nostalgia filter:

2 > first half of 3 > 4 > 1 > second half of 3
>>
>>66455952
> It's tedious

I think it's similarly paced to a lot of old Westerns and revenge flicks of the '70s. It didn't bother me so much. I'll agree that's a shitty way to summarize the movie. I'd go with "Australian police attempt to exert control in the final days of civilization using fast cars and plenty of violence".
>>
>>66455686

The problem is the timeline is all fucked up and Miller knows it.

Max is at the very least in his mid 40's during Fury Road, probably older. Who knows how old he'll be in the next one.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.