[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who is the best living actor now that Phillip Seymour Hoffman
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 115
Thread images: 14
File: ACTORS.png (565 KB, 844x594) Image search: [Google]
ACTORS.png
565 KB, 844x594
Who is the best living actor now that Phillip Seymour Hoffman is dead and Daniel Day Lewis is presumed missing?
>>
>>64978617
tom hardy....fuck your reddit/tumblr retarded comments, this guy can fucking act, dude will be a legend ....i regret nothing.
>>
Mark Strong
>>
Leonardo DiCaprio
>>
He did truly amazing in the revenant(tom hardy)
>>
>>64978698
>Mark Strong
Are you serious? Your pick is Sinestro?

>Leonardo DiCaprio
Literally only good at shouting, not acting.
>>
the only thing PSH had going for him was Capote. JQ is pretty top tier desu. but none shall rival the basedness of lord DDL, unironically the greatest actor who has ever lived
>>
>>64978834
come on man, phillip seymour hoffman was awesome...not my favorite actor but the talent cant be denied. he was great in every role he did.
>>
>>64978834
PSH had Capote, Happiness, Charlie Wilson's War, Doubt, The Master

The guy could pull off any role you gave him in spades.
>>
>>64978681
>this guy can fucking act
Not really. He hides behind exaggerated mannerisms and (terrible) accents. He can't portray emotions in a convincing manner at all.
>>
>>64978964
i agree, he was even funny in that shitty movie along came polly, and he was the loudmouth hippie in twister...dude got fucking range
>>
>>64978617

Take Eddie, (can't act), and Jenkins, (hasn't had many good roles in this decade), out of that pic and you have a decent list. I'd also say you could make the case for Jake Gyllenhaal, Gary Oldman, and Michael Shannon. However, if I had to pick one, I'd pick Michael Fassbender.
>>
>not even a Christian Bale mention
you're all hack frauds
>>
>>64979104
Also the reporter in red dragon
>>
>>64978617
DDL is meme master kike, only idiots think he is actually a 'good' actor.
>>
>>64979130
>Jake Gyllenhaal
>Michael Shannon
both very second rate
>>
I really like Jeff Bridges but he's kind of a one trick pony but he's great at the one trick. I also do like Daniel Craig as bond tbqh, he just has the gentleman spy atmosphere in my mind.
>>
>>64979170
Bale is not a very good actor, he's just famous.
>>
>>64979170

this

how can anyone deny bale
>>
>>64979241
nigger wut?
>>
>>64978977
>terrible accents

Absolutely fucking nails Charles Bronson's accent.
>>
Paul Giamatti or Michael Fassbender

Giamatti did Spiderman for the money. I look forward to Billions.

Now that I mention Billions, I also really like Damian Lewis but he's definitely not big enough. Why hasn't he tried going into film?
>>
>>64979289
The only time when Bale has really been a great screen presence is American Psycho, and in that film the material he had to work with was so strong that only a total imbecile could screw it up.

Bale is a mediocre actor. He appears in a lot of unexciting middlebrow films that no one really cares about. There isn't really much more you can say about him. He is able to deliver the lines in the script and make appropriate facial expressions. That's more than most people on the street could do, but he isn't revolutionising acting or changing anyone's life.
>>
Jake Gyllenhaal
>>
>>64978617
I am being completely unironic when I say Christian Bale.

The nigger has got mad respect for the craft, and kills it in everything he is in. Willing to destroy his body for a motion picture.
>>
>>64979588
I look forward to /tv/ in a decade or so when Christian Bale's drug use when gaining and losing mass results in him becoming the new JUST meme.

I wonder who's going to be the Ian McKellen, Patrick Stewart, Christopher Lee, Christopher Plummer years from now.
>>
>>64979550
The only time when Day Lewis has really been a great screen presence is Lincoln, and in that film the material he had to work with was so strong that only a total imbecile could screw it up.

Day Lewis is a mediocre actor. He appears in a lot of unexciting highbrow films that no one really cares about. There isn't really much more you can say about him. He is able to deliver the lines in the script and make appropriate facial expressions. That's more than most people on the street could do, but he isn't revolutionising acting or changing anyone's life.

The only time when Brando has really been a great screen presence is Mutiny on the Bounty, and in that film the material he had to work with was so strong that only a total imbecile could screw it up.

Brando is a mediocre actor. He appears in a lot of unexciting middlebrow films that no one really cares about. There isn't really much more you can say about him. He is able to deliver the lines in the script and make appropriate facial expressions. That's more than most people on the street could do, but he isn't revolutionising acting or changing anyone's life.
>>
>>64979394
>Absolutely fucking nails Charles Bronson's accent.
Yeah, like that's a tall order

https://youtu.be/R9TcGbaRC8A?t=4m24s
>>
>>64979130
I didn't really make a list I just made an image with as little effort as I could muster.
>>
>>64979550
>is American Psycho
you misspelled 3:10 to Yuma
do not make this error again
>>
A tie between Tom Hardy and Joaquin Phoenix
>>
>>64979533
>Giamatti did Spiderman for the money
> and The Lady in the Lake
> and Rock of Ages
> and The Ant Bully

Otherwise he's Olivier, yes
>>
It's still Gary Oldman and I fucking hate there will be blood.
>>
>>64979550
Bale has more roles than just one. The Fighter is another film he did excellent in. I just don't think he has the range and doesn't give the same energy to every role given.
>>
>>64980061
this is about acting, not whose balls you want in your butt
>>
Actors like Jake Gyllenhaal, Tom Hardy and Christian Bale are liked primarily by 15-25 year old males because they appear in a lot of "cool" dramas and thrillers aimed at that demographic.

If you put those three on-stage in a Shakespeare production, only Hardy would have a chance of not embarrassing himself, and even then I wouldn't hold out much hope.
>>
>>64979788
Are you an idiot...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RstefCPs3kU
>>
>>64980073
You're probably right. I've just got a bit of blinders because I loved Cinderella Man so much and he was probably at his peak there.
>>
>>64979588
literally the one thing you can say about him
>But he got so fat, and then he got so skinny, that's incredible
Nobody actually talks about his acting. He's not bad by any means but he might be overrated because of that.
>>
File: dillane.jpg (93 KB, 560x377) Image search: [Google]
dillane.jpg
93 KB, 560x377
<<<
>>
>>64980462
>stannisautists invading other threads
literally why
>>
>>64980122
That's the only reason I included Tom Hardy, his ability to pull off the over-the-top moments of Bronson along with his very successful dramatic acting earns him a place at the discussion.

I regret not mentioning Gary Oldman, William H Macy, and Sam Rockwell.

I unironically believe Sam Rockwell is criminally underrated.
>>
>>64980992
I agree with everyone on this list although William H Macy isn't quite on the same level.

>>64979734
I see Ralph Fiennes still being there when he's their age
>>
>>64980992
Yeah Sam Rockwell is great, far above most of the names mentioned in this thread.
>>
joaquin
>>
>>64981036
WHM in Fargo + Magnolia + Shameless + Pleasantville

He is an overlooked elite actor.
>>
>>64979533
>Giamatti
>San Andreas
>Straight Out Of Compton
>Lady In The Lake
boring actor, good for standing in the background looking concerned but definitely not a good actor
>>
>>64978768
>Are you serious? Your pick is Sinestro?
Hey, it was a bad movie, but he was a great Sinestro.
>>
>>64980992
Sam Rockwell is a that guy
>>
These threads show how pleb /tv/ truly is
>>
>>64978768
>Leonardo DiCaprio
>Literally only good at whining, not acting.
ftfy

>>64980078
>oldman
winrar

and anyone who's a character actor is a shitty actor. good ones can turn it on and off.
>>
>>64981176
>Sam Rockwell is a that guy
Shut up, imbecile.
>>
File: dustin-hoffman-.jpg (25 KB, 628x420) Image search: [Google]
dustin-hoffman-.jpg
25 KB, 628x420
>>64981220
Hey anon, how about you come up with some suggestions instead of acting like a bitch?
Also, Dustin Hoffman is still breathing I believe.
>>
>>64978681
>act tough and do a rough growling voice
>acting
Fuck off memer
>>
Gary Oldman
>>
The reason I thought PSH was the best actor alive was his incredible range to take goofy comedy roles, blockbuster roles, and very serious dramatic pieces and excel in every category. The only actors I could probably compare him to are Gary Oldman and MAYBE Robert De Niro (though De Niro is doing everything in his power to destroy his legacy)

Hoffman is also in that calibre.
>>
File: 8.jpg (19 KB, 500x578) Image search: [Google]
8.jpg
19 KB, 500x578
On looks, talent and commitment - there is only one.
>>
File: freddiequell2.jpg (38 KB, 632x394) Image search: [Google]
freddiequell2.jpg
38 KB, 632x394
It's Joaquin. It should be obviously by now, it used to be Robert DeNiro, but now he just wants to bang the hot girl from Parks and Rec. Who can really blame him?
>>
Leonardo Dicaprio is the best living actor alive.
>>
What about Edward Norton?

Also rec me Joaquin's best movies
>>
File: joaquin2_1365540c.jpg (42 KB, 460x288) Image search: [Google]
joaquin2_1365540c.jpg
42 KB, 460x288
>>64981426

Here's the difference between Joaquin Pheonix and Christian Bale.

Many people were shocked to find out Christian Bale was British after seeing him in American Psycho.

Everyone knew Joaquin's "melt down" was an act.
>>
>>64980992

Rockwell is pretty great
>>
>Harvey Keitel
>Vincent Cassel
>Robert Redford
>Paul Dano
>John Malkovich
>>
>>64981544
We can't ever know if "everyone knew his melt down was an act"
Magnolia Pictures made Casey Affleck reveal that it was all fake before it released.
>>
>>64981604

hi sorrentino
>>
>>64981604
>Paul Dano
He is a classic meme, yes, but he is not a very good actor. He over acts awfully, he really is Leo 2.0
>>
>>64980108
why not both
>>
>>64981708
>We can't ever know if "everyone knew his melt down was an act"

I called it day one on Letterman, shit was so obviously fake.
>>
>>64978617

It's Redmayne if we're being honest.
>>
>>64981544
Those two things aren't even comparable you simpleton.
>>
>>64981745
He definitely doesn't over act
>>
>>64981417
This. And Fassbender
>>
>>64981846
Have you seen There Will Be Blood? That church scene is one of the best examples of "LOOK AT MEEEEEE!!!! IIIII'MMM AAAAACTIIIIIIIIIIINNNNGGGGGG!!!!!!!" I've ever seen.
"OOOOOOUUUUUUTTTT DEEEEEEEMMMMOOOOOOONNNNSSSSSSSSAH!!!!"
>>
Automatic disqualification if the actor has appeared in capeshit
>>
>>64981544
Can someone remind me if there was anything happening at that time that made Casey and him put the idea into motion. Like was Britney shaving her head, or Lohan making out with her mom or did this kind of come out of nowhere?
>>
>>64982068
You just disqualified 90% of actors
>>
JOAQUIN
O
A
Q
U
I
N
>>
Fassy.

Killed it in Shame, 12YaS. Almost made The Counselor work, in spite of McCarthy going full ham. I can only assume he did the same with Sorkin's Jobs, but I have yet to see it. Participates in capeshit, but only as part of a top-tier cast.

Apparently he's Macbeth in a Macbeth movie that's currently out. Anyone seen it?
>>
>>64981544
How are those two things comparable? Are you dumb
>>
>it's a /poltv/ refuses to acknowledge Eddie Redmayne is the best in the business because they confuse le old man "gravitas" for real talent episode

It's ok. Reddit does the same thing.
>>
>>64982151
Steve Jobs was actually pretty good, up until the total non-ending. Not that there was much they could have done with the ending in the constraints of that particular approach to telling his life story, but it was still unsatisfying on a dramatic level. Fassbender is really really good in it.
>>
yes to Joaquin and Fassbender, but I dont recall any tom hardy outstanding performance
>>
>>64981604
Pretty good list desu
>>
File: 1451017840473.jpg (262 KB, 1284x980) Image search: [Google]
1451017840473.jpg
262 KB, 1284x980
>>64979550
>the material he had to work with was so strong that only a total imbecile could screw it up.
>>
>>64982060
He played a fucking priest in a movie set in the late 19th century, that was perfectly fine acting for that role.
>>
>>64982236
I generally don't waste time on biopics
>>
>>64982905
It was pretty bad desu. He was supposed to make it seem like he was some deranged religious fundamentalist, and he made it look like he was a kid who had just watched some tv preacher, thought it was funny and tried to copy it.
>>
>whos is keneth bragagh
>>
>>64982998
no, he was supposed to make it seem like he was someone pretending to be a deranged religious fundamentalist
but I agree nothing special to it
>>
>>64978977
He portrayed an autist in mad max pretty well
>>
>>64983051
A guy who tried to spread Shakespeare to modern day plebs but had to settle for making above average Disney flicks.
>>
James McAvoy
>>
>>64983473
Pleb
>>
>>64983051
The guy responsible for making the most sexually attractive movie ever made.
>>
File: CLU.jpg (445 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
CLU.jpg
445 KB, 1920x1080
>>64978617
KEVIN FLYNN
>>
File: best actor all time.gif (763 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
best actor all time.gif
763 KB, 500x281
>ctrl+f
>no Johnny Depp

Johnny Depp
>>
>>64978617

Viggo
>>
>>64983963
>(you)
>>
>>64978681
Bane?
>>
>/tv/ never talks about my favorite actor
>>
john snow best acotr and all you jealous boys cant admit it because you are jelous jelly bellys
>>
>>64984857
definition of
>that guy
>>
>>64984857
>"Oh, it's...you! How are you?"
>>
Obviously Joaquin is the front runner but I've been a fan of Ben Mendelsohn since Animal Kingdom and he's on that level pretty much, just not as famous or Hollywood-handsome.
>>
>>64979550
>The Big Short
>The Prestige
>The Machinist

You're an elitist retard for dismissing him as a good actor because he's famous and appeals to normies.
>>
File: shannon.jpg (129 KB, 657x1000) Image search: [Google]
shannon.jpg
129 KB, 657x1000
noone post based shannon /tv/ and 4chan in general really went to shit
just rename it to reddit2.0
>>
File: 10261483.jpg (161 KB, 670x300) Image search: [Google]
10261483.jpg
161 KB, 670x300
>>64981085
>>64981426
>>64982139

desu
>>
>>64981417
>>64983963
16y old reddit users upvote me pls
>>
>>64985044
Who?
>>
nicolas cage
>>
>>64981604
sorrentino pls.
good list though
>>
>>64980073
>and Straight Outta Compton.
>>
>>64984991
>The Machinist
literally average acting from a direct to dvd thriller except he was skinny
>>
Jake Gyllenhaal
>>
>>64981804
Yeah, he really needs to pick better roles tho
Thread replies: 115
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.