[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is there a resistance if the Republic has an army and can
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 6
File: force.jpg (226 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
force.jpg
226 KB, 1920x1080
Why is there a resistance if the Republic has an army and can send them aid?
>>
They need to go through the senate first
>>
>>64614816
I AM THE SENATE
>>
JJ needed to make the facsimile work

he went out of his way to make a facsimile work in a new universe and political landscape that didn't fit it at all
>>
>>64614822
Not yet.
>>
>>64614822
Not yet
>>
File: non-union equivalent.jpg (144 KB, 1920x800) Image search: [Google]
non-union equivalent.jpg
144 KB, 1920x800
Why is there Medellin if the CIA has Delta and can send them in?
>>
>>64614806
Force Awakens is garbage, that's why. This movie was nothing more than just fan bait and an easy way to capitalize on the fact that "nerds" are a trend now. Fuck disney.
>>
>>64614806
Ok, I'll bite. The Resistance would be the SW equivalent of the CIA or Black OPs military. They handle the covert operations against the First Order, off the books, because the Senate and their Army are tied up in red tape.
>>
The Republic is North Vietnam, the Resistance is the Viet Cong. They're related but separate. The Resistance is a resistance because it's an insurgency.
>>
>>64614919

>50/50 male/female, tons of blacks/asians/mexicans

this would explain their lack of efficiency

they hired a liberal arts college to be their CIA and got their shit blown up because of it
>>
>>64614919
Thanks, it wasn't bait I'm just a borderline normie
>>
>>64614919

>equivalent of CIA or black ops

then why don't the FO engage them with their own CIA or black ops organization? Why do they do all of the fighting instead of using proxies?

Oh because it's a stupid excuse to make the "resistance" (rebellion 2.0) the underdogs again even when the political climate is completely different to the original series.

this movie chugs dick
>>
This movie must have been shit then, the FO has a weapon to destroy multiple planets in an instant, the Republic and Resistance know about it but they still have to do the fighting through the "resistance". Bullshit
>>
I'm with the people who assert that it is convenient for Disney/Abrams to copy the original formula rather than risk an innovative storyline. Still, maybe the Republic Fleet is busy putting down pockets of imperial insurgents within the Republic territory.
>>
>>64614842
>>64614854
Tell that to Kanjiklub
>>
>>64615487
Are you threatening me master smuggler?
>>
>>64614914
aww how fedorable
>>
The New Republic decided to emulate the past and not hold arms. Meanwhile grand moffs and governor types filled the power vacuum of the empire. So there is a resistance to the former empire.
>>
Because the republic lets individual planets control their armies like before. Remember in the prequels the CIS and clones were a new concept, before that there were only militaries of planets and there was a massive senate where they'd engage in diplomacy similar to the UN. It's the same in TFA but the threat of the first order has forced the republic to respond by enlisting an army of its own. Think of it as a peacekeeping force of the UN.
>>
>>64614806
plot armor and shit writing

/thread
>>
>>64614806
because the Republic and First Order aren't at war when TFA starts. but they are trying to undermine them just like Russia is supporting insurgents in Ukraine or the US is supporting rebels in Syria.
>>
>>64615564
This explains it nicely, thanks.
>>
So is the republic the same republic as the prequels, didn't that turn into the empire and the empire was destroyed?
>>
>>64614806
The Republic and the Resistance are like Iran and Hezbollah. Proxy shit.
>>
>>64615705
It's trying to return to prequel style, yeah.
>>
>>64615705
The empire became the empire after Sheev gained control of the clones and worked some politics, the senate had no choice but to follow sheev as he controlled both the massive trade federation and the massive clone army and he had political support. The new republic is similar to the old republic before sheev. They literally operate like the UN, you get protection if you're a member and abide by the rules.

Also when sheev took power lots of senate members opposed it and that formed the basis of the rebels in the original movies.
>>
>>64614806
I don't remember the X-wings looking like that in the movie, do they really look that bad?
>>
>>64615564
But that's never stated or hinted anywhere in the movie. In fact, some First Order dude even mentions that the Republic has a powerful fleet.

To answer OP's question, it's just shit writing. They wanted to recreate the OT's feeling of big bad Empire vs small Rebellion but couldn't find a logical way to do it since Empire lost the war and the First Order should be the weaker faction. So they just pull the Resistance out of their ass as a separate entity from the Republic and blasts the Republic without even telling us how the fuck did an Imperial remnant manage to build something so much more powerful than any weapon Empire ever managed to assemble.
>>
>>64614806
>cutting a jet engine in half

How to the turbines work?
>>
>>64615824
>But that's never stated or hinted anywhere in the movie. In fact, some First Order dude even mentions that the Republic has a powerful fleet.

It's mentioned in the other lore. It's also mentioned in the movie but it's very subtle. There is a scene where they mention being cut off from the republic and how that will affect them. The actual republic will probably play a bigger role in the next two movies so they can have huge space battles. Keep in mind that the first order wasn't always the big bad threat and they only started to come forward recently.
>>
why would the republic not do anything?
>nah we aint gonna interfere with those war mongering guys who wanna rule the galaxy again
>>
>>64615824
because the movie focused on character drama and action rather than boring politics and overlong expository dialogue like the prequels

Sorry the movie wasn't made to suit the needs of an autistic wookiepedia editor
>>
>>64615914
It would literally take 1 minute of expository dialogue (providing they could come up with a logical explanation). Instead we're being left with a political situation that makes 0 sense because the writers wanted to go back to Rebels vs Empire.

But at least we get the action :^)

>>64615863
>Keep in mind that the first order wasn't always the big bad threat and they only started to come forward recently.
How did they manage to build this huge ass base? That's my biggest issue with the entire plot, the side that loses the war is able to pull the most dangerous weapon ever made out of its ass and it's never explained. It's just a lazy plot device to make the Resistance underdogs again
>>
>>64616013
That huge ass base was built in the far reaches of space where the republic has no presence and it's mostly uncharted territory.

Like that other anon was saying TFA was great with its story because it focused on characters and action, if you care about the universe there are plenty of materials you can use to explore it more in depth, there's no reason for the movie to spend an hour discussing politics and explaining things that dont need an explanation like fucking midiclorians.
>>
>>64616084
Why do you keep spewing bullshit about an hour discussing politics when a minute would do? And it still makes 0 sense that a side that lost a war and had to retreat to uncharted territory was able to build something 50 times more powerful than they were able to build when they had an absolute rule over the Galaxy
>>
>>64616165
>And it still makes 0 sense that a side that lost a war and had to retreat to uncharted territory was able to build something 50 times more powerful than they were able to build when they had an absolute rule over the Galaxy
Ain't that the truth
>>
>>64616165
Well they were obviously still powerful and it wouldn't take much for them to harass the outer rim territories. Also it's a common theme in the EU and star wars that the bad guys retreat into the unknown uncharted regions and come back stronger, there's obviously some crazy shit.

If you don't like it just don't watch it, it's a fucking story made so 12 year olds can understand it, not every movie needs to over explain things to satisfy your autism, some things are better left just being unexplained because at the end of the day the movie is enjoyable to watch, the characters are relatable and the universe is interesting and a great escape for a lot of people.
>>
>>64616237
Sorry, seems like I just forgot to turn off my brain :-)
>>
>>64616254
>implying that's a bad thing

It's fucking scifi, it doesn't make sense the minute you introduce an alien that looks humanoid and you have people that can do space magic. If you have fun with it and hundreds of millions of people do then who gives a shit. If you want the autistic explanations of how a fucking chair works then go read EU shit.
>>
>>64614806
>Why are there rebels in Syria if America has an army and can send them aid?

I can do that over and over with a thousand different examples, that's how stupid your question is. Honest question, did you finish school?
>>
>>64616326
Graduated HS with a D+ everage
>>
>>64615827
The Force
>>
>>64616326
I just don't know the complete configuration of the SW factions cause I've had sex
>>
>>64614806
They could literally change every time they say Resistance to Republic and it would be a better movie.
>>
>>64616441
Yet you're the one here asking why they didn't explain it and only sperglords are the ones who care about that kind of shit
>>
>>64615487
Hahn Sohlo, y'ar a wee gash cunt of a shitebag. Tell tha to ya Kanji club, ya fookin weeb.
>>
>>64616468

Common complaint even among those who like it actually.

99% of people thought Coruscant was blown up for example but apparently it was some random not Coruscant planet etc. The movie is full of this.

Movies don't need to treat us like retards but they need to make sure people understand whats happening. Anybody who likes this movie does it despite the story telling not because of it.

In short, you have low standards.
>>
>>64616468
I use 4chan, not enough to pretend to know everything like you.
>>
>>64616468
Also im not asking why they didn't explain, I'm asking for it to be explained.
>>
>>64616084
>Rakata Prime
>canon

Literally why?
>>
>>64616679
They needed a planet for the first jedi temple, may as well go with an EU planet
>>
>>64616718
It's not on that planet.
>>64616679
Allegedly, JewJew really likes kotor.
>>
>>64614902
because it's "nothing personal"
>>
>>64616746
>>64616718
Revan confirmed soon

KOTOR haters btfo
>>
File: lucasbryke.png (904 KB, 955x410) Image search: [Google]
lucasbryke.png
904 KB, 955x410
>>64614806
Because

P O E T R Y
O
E
T
R
Y
>>
>>64614806
My guess is the Resistance is supposed to be a Republic military faction that realized the First Order was corrupt and so is operating outside of the Republic (but not against it).

Honestly, the confusing political atmosphere is probably my #3 complaint (right behind Marey Sue and Death Star III).
>>
>>64614919
>Ok, I'll bite. The Resistance would be the SW equivalent of the CIA or Black OPs military.
No
The resistance is more like the Mujahadeen were in Afghan during the Soviet occupation
>>
Republic is US, Rebellion are Mujahideen. I guess that's how it works..

I kinda wish TFA fleshed the politics out a bit more, but since the senate scenes in the prequels they probably got worried about boring the audience with it. Also, JJ doesn't like to slow down his movies once they get going
>>
File: 8917.png (37 KB, 131x125) Image search: [Google]
8917.png
37 KB, 131x125
>>64614806
>Why did USA support mujahedeen again st soviets if they could just send their own army instead?
Seriously, te political situation is one of the few things that TFA and new EU did right.

I honestly cant understand how can someone be retarded enough not to understand it.
>>
>>64615551
He is right though faglord
>>
>>64614914
>fan bait

This. Doesn't necessarily mean it's bad or good, but that's what it is. Some people like that thing. Actually, a lot of people. Me, I'm praying that the next two stories are actually new and interesting instead of an episode 4 rehash. Hoping that this was only done to get people all hyped and back in the star wars mood or something.

I'm probably wrong.
>>
File: image.jpg (52 KB, 540x284) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
52 KB, 540x284
It was a pmc run by a lunatic
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.