[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does someone else think the original trilogy feels a lot more
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
Does someone else think the original trilogy feels a lot more lifeless and bland after having watched the prequels many times?

Mainly the whole Kenobi/Anakin encounter.

I think I hate everything about this scene. Where are the emotions? The affinity? Those guys basically aren't the same they were in the prequels. Of course the prequels were made 30 years after the original movies but their backstory was already their. He once was his teacher and friend. This scene doesn't convey this at all, though.

I also hate the Kenobi actor. He looks terrible, no charisma at all. In fact, both actors look and sound terrible, Vader's and Kenobi's.
>>
File: 1451628956225.webm (718 KB, 1280x544) Image search: [Google]
1451628956225.webm
718 KB, 1280x544
And of course the fight was plain awkward.

Yes, it's old but c'mon.
>>
this shit is really going too far

I'm starting to feel embarrassed FOR you faggots...
>>
>>64574751
What's your problem, exactly?
>>
>>64574743
Well the props were fragile and they probably didn't want to break them and replace them over and over.
>>
Vader wasn't scripted as Anakin yet. His backstory didn't really get fleshed out until ESB.

There's a lot of retcons throughout the history of the Star Wars universe (at least when you start including everything that is now no longer canon... which I guess is ultimately a massive retcon as well).
>>
to be fair it was the first lightsaber fight scene ever filmed in history, so it's obviously going to be fairly shitty. I agree with you about Kenobi's direction, it seems very flat and unemotional. There is virtually no foreshadowing or build up to his death beyond that calm peaceful look he gives before putting his lightsaber away. Though of course Kenobi never died in the original script and they only decided to kill him off later on when they realised he served nothing more to the story. The script was good, but it still fell a little flat somewhere.

Also as far as I'm concerned Vader is not Anakin, Vader is just a mental headcase who murdered everyone for power and is not a tragic fallen hero, he's always been an insane psychopath.
>>
>>64575281
So you ignore the prequels and VI?
>>
>>64576154

I ignore V too, it's canon right up until Vader says he's Luke's father. the most retarded and saga destroying decision Lucas ever made
>>
>>64575281
That's because Obi is the only frigging jedi in the while franchise. je dis don't right with their émotions, thye don't go doing acrobatic choregraphie and hacking everything in their way. They fight calmly and with précision. Vader knows that and that's why hé doesn't go overheard either, given last time he got rekt.
>>
They're both old men. One's a mutilated cripple. Decades ago, they witnessed everyone and everything they know and love die in a horrible war with a death toll in the trillions. They've both done unspeakable things, killed many people, innocent and guilty alike. Everything they ever hoped for or wanted or believed in is dead. Their friendship was the one slender thread that connected them both to the last vestiges of their humanity, of their lives. When meeting they both know this is the end, that one or both of them was going to die this time, and in many ways it should have ended long ago. They're tired, worn-out relics, living dinosaurs caught in a nightmarish parody of their youthful ambitions, and both believe there's nothing more to their story except to die. How energetically would you banter and fight under those circumstances?
>>
Nah, my love for the OT was rekindled after watching the prequels.

In the end, they have characters you give a shit about, which is the most important aspect of a movie.
>>
>>64576486

or they just couldn't film an exciting scene with tension
>>
File: 1204865630843.gif (544 KB, 300x126) Image search: [Google]
1204865630843.gif
544 KB, 300x126
>>64575281
>to be fair it was the first lightsaber fight scene ever filmed in history

But lightsabers are basically space katanas, and there had been many sword fights filmed on screen before Star Wars.

https://youtu.be/z8ByAzPe38Y
https://youtu.be/4MqmpL6X_8w
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.