[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you agree? >"Nerd culture is the product of a late
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5
File: 1432181136355.jpg (38 KB, 310x335) Image search: [Google]
1432181136355.jpg
38 KB, 310x335
Do you agree?
>"Nerd culture is the product of a late capitalist conspiracy, designed to infantalize the consumer as a means of non-aggressive control."
- Simon Pegg

>"A sweet-faced boy of twelve told me proudly that he had seen Star Wars over a hundred times? I said, 'do you think you could promise never to see Star Wars again?' He burst into tears. I just hope the lad, now in his thirties, is not living in a fantasy world of secondhand, childish banalities"
- Alec Guinness

>"I don't think they are making [comic book movies] an elevated art form, I think it's still just Batman running around in a stupid cape.. It's for kids, it's adolescent in its core. "
- David Cronenberg

>"I don't want to see or make films about super heroes that fly around in spandex and a cape solving the problems of the world. I think it's fine for children, children of all ages by the way, but it's not for me."
- William Friedkin

>“They have been poison, this cultural genocide, Because the audience is so overexposed to plot and explosions and shit that doesn’t mean nothing about the experience of being human.”
- Alejandro Iñárritu

>"Superman makes me vomit, Batman and all of that. That whole empire... this religion... It is so important that superheroes suffer... I don't give a damn, I shit on the United States."
- Alejandro Jodorowsky

>"To my mind, this embracing of what were unambiguously children's characters at their mid-20th century inception seems to indicate a retreat from the admittedly overwhelming complexities of modern existence"
- Alan Moore

>"It’s produced by humans who can’t stand looking at other humans. And that’s why the industry is full of otaku!"
- Hayao Miyazaki

>"The movies are for children but they don't want to admit that... There is a small group of fans that do not like comic sidekicks. They want the films to be tough like The Terminator, and they get very upset and opinionated about anything that has anything to do with being childlike."
- George Lucas
>>
File: 1448475234209.gif (2 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
1448475234209.gif
2 MB, 480x270
>its another /tv/ attempts to be contrarian and counter culture thread
Oh wait thats every /tv/ thread.
>>
>>64572128
I've never seen so many hypocrites quoted all at once.
>>
Wasn't History of Violence a DC comic, though?
>>
>>64572169
And yet other sites like reddit and tumblr are called hugboxes.
>>
>>64572128

>"Geek culture was a mistake, and a capitalist conspiracy."

>proceeds to dress as a fat blobfish alien for Disney Wars
>>
>>64572169
>https://4ch.be/_/search/filename/1448475234209/
>/v/*ddit
no surprise at all
>>
>>64572128
simon pegg is part of the damn problem
>>
>obsessed with stupid shit nobody cares about
>play video games all day every day
>unemployed since I'd rather be on the internet than working
>was in a thread on /tv/ discussing the EU at 5 AM

This isn't fun this is what I have to do every day.
>>
>>64572128
>David Cronenberg

The only guy whose quote pisses me off for some reason. This is coming from the guy who made dumb shit like the fly and videodrome. I didn't dislike those movies but he needs to look in a mirror.
>>
>"Put simply, this is the idea that as a society, we are kept in a state of arrested development by dominant forces in order to keep us more pliant. We are made passionate about the things that occupied us as children as a means of drawing our attentions away from the things we really should be invested in, inequality, corruption, economic injustice etc. It makes sense that when faced with the awfulness of the world, the harsh realities that surround us, our instinct is to seek comfort, and where else were the majority of us most comfortable than our youth? A time when we were shielded from painful truths by our recreational passions, the toys we played with, the games we played, the comics we read. There was probably more discussion on Twitter about the The Force Awakens and the Batman vs Superman trailers than there was about the Nepalese earthquake or the British general election."
- Simon Pegg
>>
wow Guinness was a dick
>>
File: das it mane.jpg (90 KB, 625x452) Image search: [Google]
das it mane.jpg
90 KB, 625x452
>>64572266
>tfw no matter how shit /v/ gets it will never be as bad as /tv/
Least the fags there don't bother to waste their time looking up the source of reaction images people they don't like use.
>>
>>64572128
>Inarritu
>I don't give a damn, I shit on the United States
Build wall
>>
I think most people realize that the trash Marvel shits out is not exactly art. Its just a childish way to gross hundreds of millions. I am not into comics and have never bought any, but that is much more understandably an art form than whatever the fuck is happening right now with Avengers and shit. Sure, its an escape from reality which is great but to think there are people who go see these retarded movies with A list actors and actually discuss fan theories is fucking pathetic and just really, really depressing.
>>
File: 1201261284.jpg (24 KB, 335x400) Image search: [Google]
1201261284.jpg
24 KB, 335x400
>>64572128
Wrong.
nerd culture is just another "thing" that some people can join and feel included and understood. It's no more a capitalist plot than the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn was in the 19th century. Pegg is just aggravated and appalled by the actions of fans. It's just another version of kids/adults wearing Davy Crockett caps.
>>
>>64572422
>I literally can't read
>>
>>64572266
>being this obsessed
Jesus Christ
>>
Nerd culture is the wet dream of a capitalist made reality. Try and imagine a more gullible, superfluous group of people with such a strong sense of identity and crave for consumption. You literally can't.
>>
>>64572128
>>"The movies are for children but they don't want to admit that... There is a small group of fans that do not like comic sidekicks. They want the films to be tough like The Terminator, and they get very upset and opinionated about anything that has anything to do with being childlike."
You know, most people didn't like any of that shit in the prequels. Wasn't just neckbeards, Lucas.
>>
File: simon-pegg.jpg (244 KB, 680x383) Image search: [Google]
simon-pegg.jpg
244 KB, 680x383
>"Kill all white males."
- Simon Pegg

What did he mean by this?
>>
>>64572359
>"Put simply, this is the idea that as a society, we are kept in a state of arrested development by dominant forces in order to keep us more pliant

If you believe this is possible, then they've already won.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.