[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>there's a bufoonish British character called "the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: 1438211923975.jpg (12 KB, 407x286) Image search: [Google]
1438211923975.jpg
12 KB, 407x286
>there's a bufoonish British character called "the major" who is old and fat, and dresses up in ceremonial military uniform all the time for comedic effect
>he talks like a World War II RAF pilot and constantly says things like "tally ho" and "for queen and country!"
How did this become such a common archetype?
>>
>>64546483
I 'get' this, it's formed a connection in my brain, but I can't think of a single example.
>>
>>64546544
Fawlty Towers, character is literally called Major
>>
>>64546544
The guy from the Mummy is the first that comes to mind.
>>
>arrogant British character calls Americans "colonials" and acts as if they are unsophisticated
>he is just there for the American protagonist to "prove himself" to at the end to thunderous roaring and clapping in American theaters
>>
>>64546483
American national stereotypes mostly emerged during WW2.
>>
>>64546483

Fuck you, SOAP was amazing tv.
>>
>>64546650
Those characters are a great insight into the mind of Americans. They feel the need to prove themselves to their "father".

A massive chip on their shoulder.
>>
>>64546783
>international daddy issues
>>
>British character has awful teeth
>>
>>64546544
Does the guy from Jumanji count?
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.