[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm 8 minutes into this film and I want to turn it off.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: the phantom JUST.jpg (30 KB, 377x480) Image search: [Google]
the phantom JUST.jpg
30 KB, 377x480
I'm 8 minutes into this film and I want to turn it off. It's so bad on so many levels. It's practically unwatchable. Does it get any better?
>>
>>64541962

>I'm 8 minutes into a film and decided to pause it and make a blog post on /tv/
>>
the podrace happens about an hour in, that's considered by many to be the high point of three prequels. I'd at least wait until then to decide.
>>
>>64542060

roger roger
>>
>>64541962
try drinking bleach, it gets easier after that.
>>
Try wqtching the trilogy in the right order
>>
at one point lee ham nelsons life gets taken.
>>
>>64541962
Chew on this one OP, it's a much more palatable pill to swallow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhJA7I_8-14
>>
Helloooo Reddit!
>>
>>64542584
That's rich, coming from a redditor.
>>
>>64541962

I used to fast-forward my VHS copy to the podrace, then fast-forward to the end climax. This was me trying really hard to justify it as a good movie to myself as a little SW fanboy before I admitted to myself that it was bad.
>>
The phantom menace is George Lucas' magnum opus, you are just too much of a stupid shithead pleb redditeur to see it, certainly not if you come to start shit threads here in the middle of it, kindly leave this board and never return
>>
Not really.

Podrace might have been good as its own movie, but frankly in The Phantom Menace it's a waste of time. Darth Maul is kind of cool but his fight is overchoreographed. Everything else in the movie is boring trash.
>>
>>64542584
>trying this hard to fit in
>>64542553
That does it the best it probably could have done, it still has a lot of the terrible dialogue but the fluff is cut out. Still don't watch it unless you're legitimately curious.
>>
>>64542655
Phantom Menace is awful, but you've gotta give the Maul saber fights a lil more credit than "overchoreographed." It was really impressive at the time when it was new, I don't think it REALLY started to feel overchoreographed until the rest of the saber fights ended up being the same way and given more screen time.
>>
>>64541962
you have shit taste
>>
>>64542655
>his fight is overchoreographed
stupid meme

you don't like jedi fights, don't you?
>>
>>64541962
It gets significantly worse for a while, then slightly better in the second half. Probably a 3/10 movie, all things considered.
>>
>>64541962
>Does it get any better?
>>
>>64542553
The Phantom Edit is a total mess. It cuts out a lot of good stuff, including a lot of important stuff that explains things you need to know for the story, while keeping in a lot of bad, unnecessary stuff.

>"DELLOW FELEGATES" is in Phantom Edit
>cuts everything from the beginning of Revenge, leaving a scene in where Kenobi congratulates Anakin for saving him and Palpatine and killing Dooku

The Anti-Cheese edits are vastly superior.
>>
>>64542655
>>64542770
Some people don't like dance numbers with lights and prefer to watch a movie.
>>
>>64542584
>literally reddit the post
>>
>>64541962

>Does it get any better?

It gets worse before it gets better. The Phantom Menace has some of the best set pieces of the entire prequel trilogy. It had a decade of pre-production so the designs are really cohesive, the ideas (as dumb as they are) are pretty thought out, and because it's a late 90's production you still have that golden age of special effects going on where there are lots of sets, lots of on-location shooting, lots of miniatures, and for the most part they had to use the CGI (more) conservatively so when they do use it it looks a bit better. It was also the only prequel movie shot on film and as a result it just looks a lot "crisper".

Don't look for the story or the characters to improve as the movie goes on. It wont and they wont. The story make zero sense, you never figure out what anyone's motivation is, there are no pay-offs to things introduced earlier in the movie except Jar Jar as sort of a redemption arc.

These are actually bad movies, but at least this one has some neat designs, adds a lot of flavor to tattooine, and has some decent action scenes.
>>
>>64542770

>stupid meme

It's not a meme, that fight is entirely held up by the music. The actual choreography doesn't hold up, it doesn't have any weight to it, we don't care about any of those characters and they aren't even trying to hit each other. To top it off darth maul standing still for 10 seconds watching Obi-Wan fly over his head and then slice him in half is probably the worst death of a sith in any star wars movie but people give it a pass because they are caught up in nostalgia.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.