[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does Hollywood cannot into Lovecraft?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4
File: banshee_chapter_poster_a_p.jpg (215 KB, 1047x1572) Image search: [Google]
banshee_chapter_poster_a_p.jpg
215 KB, 1047x1572
Why does Hollywood cannot into Lovecraft?
>>
>>64526554
Nowadays Hollywood cannot into horror. It's best to wait until some talented indie director makes a Lovecraftian film.
>>
Lovecraft is literally the definition of meme horror. Utter tripe that only serves to unsettle the weak minded and easily frightened.

I have his complete collection by my bedside which I read to put myself to sleep.
>>
>>64526913
>meme horror
This board is so fucking stupid.
>>
>>64526913
And somehow you still don't get it

damn anon I feel sorry for ya
>>
>Visual medium attempting to show formless, non-euclidian monsters that break your mind.

I wonder why...
>>
>>64526974
>show
You don't need to show anything.
>>
>>64526913
greetings reddit.
>>
File: lovecraftian.jpg (277 KB, 1023x1433) Image search: [Google]
lovecraftian.jpg
277 KB, 1023x1433
>>64526777
holy trips brah

but for real, hollywood couldnt get 'non-euclidean' right if lovecraft beat it over their heads literally 60 times like in every story. the concepts he puts out are far above those that stephen king has put forth and so far the only good movies based on King books are non horror

>>64526938
yes.
>>
>>64526554
This movie had some neat concepts though and i felt creeped out when she was in the basement by herself and it also had a general feeling of unreast which i liked.Shit ending though.
>>
>>64526938
And yet your post does nothing to help.
>>
>>64527014
Its Hollywood and American audiences that are still mad about L O S T not giving them the answers they decided in their heads were what they needed. You don't understand man, you can never understand
>>
>>64527102
It does nothing to detract, unlike "meme phrase"
>>
>>64527055
Nice dubs breh, speaking of King and Lovecraft, do you or anyone think that Flagg is just the iteration of Nyarlathotep?
>>
File: image.jpg (37 KB, 647x340) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
37 KB, 647x340
>>64526974
Depends. If they're incredibly careful about how they do it.

You can't quite get the full extent of Lovecraft's horror because so much about it is how the character feels. That they feel like some object belongs to something "older than time" or that they feel like some ancient thing is watching them.

Since you can't get that, Hollywood would have to avoid directly showing certain creatures. Make it about their presence or implication. Mountains of Madness would probably work best for this since the main character never really sees anything himself, just shapes or shadows while everyone else is dying or losing their shit.
>>
>>64527218
honestly the
>meme director
>meme cinema
>meme producer
>meme actor
>meme X
>meme Y

insufferable.
i havent browsed reddit before, but my guess is it's on par with how shitty this board has been over the past few years
>>
>>64527218
"Meme" is a valid form of cultural slang on 4chan, fuck off.
>>
>>64527359
it's not valid criticism. thats the point he was making; are you dense?
>>
Y'golonac Y'golonac Y'golonac Y'golonac Y'golonac Y'golonac Y'golonac Y'golonac Y'golonac Y'golonac Y'golonac Y'golonac
>>
I mean, this was a cool movie, I enjoyed the Hunter Thompson homage, but I'm not seeing the Lovecraft parallels.
>>
>>64527293
>because so much about it is how the character feels
First person narration.
>>
>>64527487
I didn't either but i never read any lovecraft
>>
>>64527055
IT was lovecraft as fuck
>>
>>64527487
It was From Beyond crossed with CIA drug experiments.
>>
>>64527359
It's not valid at all. It's a catchall for something you don't like
>>
>>64527673
at least it wasnt another dunwich or cthulu movie.

i liked it.
>>
>>64527293
There was a movie called THEY that never fully showed the creatures you would just see them skittering about in the shadows and my young brain couldn't figure what they were in shape

Scared the fuck outta me that's how it should be done
>>
>>64527402
>are you dense?
Are you? It's valid in the sense that it is nothing but worthless drivel with only "Lovecraft" to its name, i.e. a meme work of fiction. The people that claim to find any validity of horror in it are the same people disturbed by a mere spider crawling across their bathroom ceiling. It's a product of Capitalism, of working class people getting home from a day's slaving to spook themselves by the firelight, escapist thoughts bringing hope of greater meaning to their ordinary lives. Meme fiction, meme horror, and nothing of value.
>>
>>64527317
It really is. Most of them unironically think Star Wars 7 was a groundbreaking film
>>
>>64527487
literally Buffalo Bill tells Katrina about From Beyond and then 5 minutes later when she's in the basement she's like fucking Lovecraft was right
>>
>>64527725
>catchall for something you don't like
As is your fallacious way of "disproving" an argument or opinion. If you have no means of actually defending your hot opinion on Lovecraft, why even post or make this thread?
>>
>>64527632
the movie was shit, absolute awful shit. tim curry was the only good part, and deviating from the book as much as it did just made it worse
>>
>>64527735
that movie was terrible though. maybe as a 10 year old kid with an active imagination and a dark closet you're afraid to have open, but past the age of 14 it was boring and not even slightly spooky
>>
>>64527632
More like Stephen King just updates Lovecraft's material.
>>
Negro eggs
>>
File: 1328964833629.jpg (20 KB, 350x300) Image search: [Google]
1328964833629.jpg
20 KB, 350x300
>>64527735
>>64527957
They scared the shit out of me as a kid

It was clearly a psychological horror with the demons acting as metaphors for mental disorders like schizophrenia.

My childish mind understood that back then and it scared me to death (mildly schizo btw)
>>
>>64528097
So do you agree that Randall Flagg is Nyarlathotep?
>>
>>64528365
Johnny Carcosa is
>>
>>64527900
>implying I was talking about the movie
>>
>>64527957
Yes but the way you present his monsters should always be cloaked in shadow and be presented as simultaniously crawling, slithering things that you never get a full good solid look at and can fill in the blanks with your imagination
>>
>>64528413
ok good. but yes, spawn of otherworldly over beings is extremely lovecraftian
>>
The Thing (Carpenter)
The Resurrected
The Blair Witch Project

all prove that Lovecraftian horror can be done in a feature film.

>>64528158
Warren Ellis doesn't know shit about Lovecraft.
>>
>>64528410
well yeah, maybe in some universe, but not King's
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.