[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>building large weaponry in a universe where FTL travel exists
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4
File: notdeathstar.jpg (202 KB, 969x545) Image search: [Google]
notdeathstar.jpg
202 KB, 969x545
>building large weaponry in a universe where FTL travel exists
Science fantasy and all but that shit plain retarded. All it would take is smashing one drone-piloted X-Wing going near lightspeed into this thing to blow it the fuck out.
>>
Are they actually travelling FTL or are they just travelling through "hyperspace", whatever the fuck that is, wormholes or something
>>
It doesn't make sense at all.

They are engaged in a guerrilla war against the resistance, yet they spend money and industrial power buiding huge, clumsy weapons.

You don't drive a tank right inside an Afghan village, people will blow it up .
>>
Why they spend resources trying to make people like them and defend them?
The rebels only had victories because they were insurgents with popular support.
If the empire steal the support, the resistance then turns into a bunch of warlords.
>>
File: 1294764806567.gif (843 KB, 213x183) Image search: [Google]
1294764806567.gif
843 KB, 213x183
>>64507726
Bigger issues include:
>Hyperspace travel has been shown to take days/weeks. If Starkiller is a hyperspace weapon, how does it reach its targets in seconds?
>If Starkiller has the ability to literally eat fucking STARS then why the fuck would you bother with the rest. Surely the ability to kill the fucking sun is far more terrifying.
>It took the resources of the entire Galactic Empire in its prime to construct the first Deathstar. How the fuck did a relatively small splinter group construct Starkiller?
>>
If the resistance is not the new republic official army, from where they tak money, food and resources to fight?
If the new republic doesn't have any military, why the first order does't simply annex all these new republic planets?
>>
>>64507726
Originally a planets gravity was supposed to pull a ship out of lightspeed. JJ thought a super fast ship would be cool though.
>>
I feel like Mike could have asked these questions but it appears he's been cucked by Disney and Jar Jar Abrams.
>>
>>64507726

Hyperspace exists on a different plane of reality.

You can accelerate while in Hyperspace, but you're still limited by the ship's thrust ability while in normal space.
>>
>>64508252
>>Hyperspace travel has been shown to take days/weeks.
actually hyperspace travel on the star wars universe is matter of hours , it doesn't take longer than a day to reach even the most outer regions of the galaxy.
You can reach Tatooine from Corousant in less just a few hours.
>>
>>64508413
Really? I always got the impression that hyperspace was meant to be comparable to ocean travel. That being the case, most Star Wars ships are designed wrong. If you'll never be on the ship longer than a few hours, you've got no need for "crew quarters" or any real room. Star Wars ships should be designed like fucking passenger cars, then.
>>
>>64508508
>If you'll never be on the ship longer than a few hours, you've got no need for "crew quarters" or any real room.

You might need it if you intend to stay on a planet for an extended period of time and don't want or can't find a place to stay.
>>
start shit needs its own board like /mlp/
>>
File: 1340701003887.gif (266 KB, 478x369) Image search: [Google]
1340701003887.gif
266 KB, 478x369
>>64508556
While this is true, most ships are shown to have a similar design philosophy to contemporary ocean vessels.

Consider that the Millennium Falcon, a Corellian Freighter, has almost no room for freight, sacrificing valuable floor space to make room for a large leisure area/crew quarters(granted Solo claims to have made modifications, but still).
>>
>>64507726
Did they seriously say that it devours the whole star just for one shot?
Or was it about charging it up until the sun had set? I don't remember.
>>
>>64508664
People always refer to it as junk anyways, so maybe Corellian freighters are just bad in general
>>
>>64507726
you cant actually collide with anything in normal space while doing that shit ' for the same reason you cant travel faster then light in normal space .

>>64508002
its a good strategy actually , blow up a planet and everyone shits themselves\withdraws from the rebel alliance , also it can be used to deploy armies\fleets quickly .
>>
>>64508689
>Did they seriously say that it devours the whole star just for one shot?
They did. And the fact that you genuinely don't remember is fine proof that the film was empty.
>>
>>64508508
well actual passenger ships are designed that way . you have crew quarters if you basically live on the ship (professional pilot\smuggler\trader\soldier).
>>
Why wasn't the planet pitch black after it devoured the sun?
>>
>>64508664
>Consider that the Millennium Falcon, a Corellian Freighter, has almost no room for freight,

Maybe the Millenium Falcon is more like a UPS truck rather than an 18 wheeler?
>>
>>64508664
Maybe it's modified in case he has to hide in an asteroid belt for a week straight or some shit like that, because he's a smuggler and the popo would be looking for him.

Maybe he just runs drugs or something else that has low volume but huge price margins
>>
File: 1295288058930.png (7 KB, 183x297) Image search: [Google]
1295288058930.png
7 KB, 183x297
>>64508800
The issue is that the Falcon isn't an RV it's a freighter. If Solo had modified one of the holds to create quarters that would have made more sense.

>>64508803
I don't remember seeing a UPS truck with a sleeper/entertainment area behind the drive seat, but that's not a bad guess.

>>64508814
Considering that Han got in trouble with Jabba the Hutt over a dropped spice shipment, I think you may be right. However, the entire design of the ship is built around it's current configuration. It might be argued that there were more holds before Han shoved a much larger engine into what used to be a modest freighter.
>>
>>64508929
>I don't remember seeing a UPS truck with a sleeper/entertainment area behind the drive seat,

Most UPS trucks don't have to travel between planets, but yeah.
>>
>>64509012
If the longest they'll be on "the road" is a few hours, why wouldn't they just come home? No real reason to ever have crew quarters.
>>
>>64509182
Well if we assume that these small freighters are often used by smugglers delivering illegal goods then they might not have a permanent home as it wouldn't be safe so they probably live on their ships.
>>
In the new star wars canon books I can't say anything for the old EU because I never read it it says the first death star blowing up was touted by the empire as a myth perpetuated by the rebellion. that's why they built the second death star so fast, so they could keep the galaxy's balls in a vice before they realized how big a hit they'd taken. then when the second star blows up and the empire has to regroup, I assume they thought the same way as their emperor did, becuase they're sheep.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.