[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This film proves he's spiritually agnostic, right?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 7
File: KOC.jpg (324 KB, 1275x1650) Image search: [Google]
KOC.jpg
324 KB, 1275x1650
This film proves he's spiritually agnostic, right?
>>
>>64443871
Pilgram's Progress implies there is a safehaven an eventual destination to be reached

He believes in God, but clearly struggles to understand the relationship with himself

I enjoyed the film immensely, i think its one of the best ive seen in the last 5 years at least, way better than to the wonder
>>
>>64443944

I agree, but to me it seems he views God as a state of mind rather than a tangible deity.

Best film I've seen in a while.
>>
>>64443871
>an agnostic cop out babby watches a movie and desperately tries to find meaning that reaffirms his beliefs
>>
>>64444960
the bible does say god and his "invisible qualities", so maybe not tangible in that sense

but i concur, best film ive seen in awhile, man
>>
>>64445020
>i cant understand things from a non linear perspective because i didnt develop critical thinking skills
>>
so he's a pantheist?
>>
Where did you guys see this? It doesn't come out till March.
>>
>>64445364
>being this american
>>
>>64445356
i dont think its as lazy as that, he definitely directs you towards the judeo christian god, but it is represented as this barley graspable thing
>>
I thought it was very religious, Christian or Buddhist in that like a sermon/polemic against the excess of the material world, spirituality lost in modernity or self obsession.
>>
>>64443871

No.
>>
watching this high was trippy as fuck

highly recommended
>>
In the past he seemed more singularly rooted in Christianity, but I found it interesting how he incorporated original parable, tarot (which is rooted in Christianity, but largely pagan, zen buddhism, law of attraction, etc. into the picture. They all seemed to lead to the same answer: "The only way out is in"

I wish I knew more about tarot to understand what the chapter corresponding to each card represented.
>>
File: plebs.png (83 KB, 995x252) Image search: [Google]
plebs.png
83 KB, 995x252
>>
>>64445933
its actually funny because i realted extremely alot to bales characyer and his relationship with his family, women, society, etc

every single line of dialouge is talking about the desire for this almost unreachble achivement, i guess you could call it god. now how much of that is dependant on the individual, but there are implications that relate to the god of jesus christ, abraham, the bible, etc

with all of that being said i think this might be my favorite film of all time. im going to have to wach it a few more times but right now im pretty sure, it was great in my opinion
>>
>>64445583
>>64446300
to add to this, i liked the ice sculpture moment, and the line "get up, and find it."

it seemed like an obvious referance to buddist philopshy or christian ideaolgy about self inware discovery of something really beautiful and life changing
>>
>>64446569
inward*
>>
>>64443871

this movie makes referance to the dissociative drug "ketamine" and "k-holing" which is a drug trip experience.

i wonder if malick was inspired by trips for the imagery, cinematography, etc in his films. i mean it wouldnt just be drugs but still some of the stuff in knight of cups seemed very dissociative psychedelia whatever, at least in relation to the trips ive had
>>
>>64446759

The stripper/high priestess character also talks about how she's enlightened because of drugs.
>>
>>64445933

people who complain about films like knight of cups dont really get it, they're not films, they're more like ideas

this idea just happens to be very esoteric, but its not unexplainable
>>
Where are the memes in this movie? Fuck I hate this hack, name one good meme from his movies, NAME FUCKING ONE
>>
>>64447265

>if you didn't like it you didn't get it

What if I got it, and totally disagree with it, and also find it poorly made?
>>
>>64445933
Go back to reddit
>>
>>64447752
what do you disagree with and find poorly made, im listening
>>
>>64445764
the moon: nihilist decadence
the hanging man: recognizing that you
re longing for something more and trying to satisfy that with even more hedonism and ultimately getting hurt
judgement: a person who lives a somewhat decent life makes you realize that you need to get your shit together
the tower: misguided attempts to get your shit together resulting in avarice
the sun: turning away from materialism and towards the mystical wonder of life - something more 2: electric bogaloo
the high priestess: misguided attempts to attain the "something more" through muh eye-opening drugs and other hippie stuff
death: now to the mature stuff, but you're still jumping into the fucking water when there's clearly "NO JUMPING OR DIVING" sign (fucking a married woman)
freedom: you now know how exactly you fucked up before therefore freeing yourself from all that bad shit so that you can begin living properly
>>
>>64447860

yes, this is accurate

although i dont know much about tarot card philosophy, but the cards themselves are a main plot point
>>
>>64447808

Hold the phone faggot, and answer my question first. Or do you find it impossible for anyone to "get it" and also hate it?
>>
>>64447898
>i dont know much about tarot card
me too, I don't think he even used the "real" tarot meanings
>>
>>64447948
no, but the idea about discovering how you screwed your life up and moving on to becoming a better version of yourself, thus enlightenment, seems to be the focus
>>
>>64447975

>thus enlightenment
>people are enlightened multiple times throughout their lives
>>
>>64447943
yeah because >>64447975
this philosophy is very valuable and can make you a more sincere and loving individual. its not the end of all ways to live your life, but its a good message and it makes sense the film tanked at the box office
>>
>>64448020
>people are enlightened multiple times throughout their lives
but they can also be manipulated, ie bale's character's father
>>
>>64448027

That isn't a philosophy. That is a trite aphorism. It was even in Fight Club.

Moreover, a "good message" isn't necessarily for everyone. Not everyone agrees with the message.
>>
>>64448061

>what is greentext?

Are you like 19 or something? People can't experience enlightenment more than once. You don't realize the grand truth of life and then realize a different, contradictory truth later.
>>
>>64448083
well, you might consider it trite, but i quite enjoyed it, and had no problems with how it was made at all
>>
all this faggots choking with malick's dick
>>
religions are fucking disgusting
>>
>>64448139
Rips are already out? Is the quality decent?
>>
>>64448139

So? What the fuck does that have to do with my question?
>>
>>64448181

A screener has been out for like a year. How else would there be webms? You think that's a cam rip?
>>
>>64448134
i never said he did find the truth of life, only, and theres even the supporting line something like "i was tough, i showed you the path. it doesnt mean i was wrong" implying at his age he is acknowledging his limited freedom of how he knew how to raise his family, his sons
>>
File: malick.jpg (580 KB, 1280x540) Image search: [Google]
malick.jpg
580 KB, 1280x540
>>64448181
yes
>>
>>64448241
this pelican act way better than bale
>>
>>64448239

>i never said he did find the truth of life
>what does enlightenment mean?

The overtly hamfisted message of the flick is that there is no permanent happiness in ephemeral phenomenon such as material wealth or sensory delight, but that the irritation and strife we experience builds a "pearl" for us to discover at the end of our lives.
>>
File: mpv-shot0001.jpg (95 KB, 1280x540) Image search: [Google]
mpv-shot0001.jpg
95 KB, 1280x540
>>64448224
it's a 720p web-dl released a couple of days ago. I don't think there was a screener
>>
>>64448345
this is interesting because in the bible, jesus, or belief in him and salvation, is known as the "pearl of great price"
>>
>>64448365

No it isn't, because the flick hasn't been released on any streaming distributor. It's a screener.
>>
>>64448375

Yes, pearls find themselves in many metaphors.
>>
>>64448488
I find it interesting because of malicks christian history
>>
>>64443871
no, it proves that he has some sense of subtelty
>>
>strip club scene
>Burial comes on

this made me kek, then hit me right in the feels

>I BELONGGGGG TO YOUUUUUU
>>
>>64443871

where do you guys rank it in Malick's filmography? I'm seeing it tomorrow night, couldn't be more hyped
>>
>>64448747
the worst before to the wonder
>>
>>64448345
>The overtly hamfisted message of the flick is that there is no permanent happiness in ephemeral phenomenon such as material wealth or sensory delight, but that the irritation and strife we experience builds a "pearl" for us to discover at the end of our lives.

while there is no permanent happiness, I'm not sure that the pearl needs to be found at the end of life. Sure, everything is transient and often superficial, but perhaps that realization is enough to be able to embrace everything around you and the pain and appreciate life as it is.
>>
>>64448937
>I'm not sure that the pearl needs to be found at the end of life.

It won't finished being formed until then.
>>
>>64448747

I absolutely despised Tree of Life, The Thin Red Line, and To The Wonder.

I really liked this last one though, and would put it at #3, under Days of Heaven and The New World.
>>
>>64448519

Why? No matter Malick's history there'd be a pearl metaphor in it, it is so ubiquitous. Like gold or honey or nectar.
>>
>>64449038
>>64448780

hmm interesting

I was in the minority of people who loved To the Wonder but I guess I would rank it near the bottom of his movies. Well as long as it's as good as To The Wonder I'll be pretty happy. Really glad that my first theater experience of 2016 will be with something spiritually fulfilling like a Malick movie
>>
>>64449106

I applaud you for waiting for the theater. I will be also seeing it in the theater even though I already saw it and didn't like it very much...I just want to hear Exodus by the Krakow Philharmonic alongside Lubezki's kinowork.
>>
File: Knight of Cups.jpg (87 KB, 350x600) Image search: [Google]
Knight of Cups.jpg
87 KB, 350x600
>Once the soul was perfect and had wings and could soar into heaven but only creatures with wings can be...But the soul lost its wings and fell to Earth. There it took an earthly body. Now, while it lives in this body no outward sign of wings can be seen yet the roots of its wings are still there...When you see a beautiful woman or a man the soul remembers the beauty it used to know in heaven. Wings begin to sprout and that makes the soul want to fly but it cannot yet, it is still too weak. So the man keeps staring up into the sky at a young bird. He's lost all interest in the worldly...
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>64448747

It's either 2 or 3 for me. Tree of Life is one with Thin Red Line close behind. I need to watch Knight of Cups again. Maybe it's just me, but I felt like there was a lot more to digest in this film, and it wasn't as clearcut in its exposition.
>>
>>64448747
second after The Tree of Life. I haven't seen The New World and To The Wonder.
>>
>>64445677
DUDE WEED LMAO xD
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.