[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pleasant surprises of 2015. Went into it after seeing all those
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 15
File: Blackhat_poster[1].jpg (47 KB, 270x427) Image search: [Google]
Blackhat_poster[1].jpg
47 KB, 270x427
Pleasant surprises of 2015.
Went into it after seeing all those shitty reviews. Turns out it was a decent Michael Man movie with an obvious effort put into figuring out how actual hacking works.

Can't understand why it was bashed so hard by critics and plebs alike.
>>
File: Joyfilmposter.jpg (20 KB, 220x326) Image search: [Google]
Joyfilmposter.jpg
20 KB, 220x326
>>64429006
It's my MOTY OP. I love it.

Pic related was my shock of the year. I fully went in expecting to hate it but it was actually nice.
>>
because it was one of the worst movies of last year.

>thor typing "im gonna get you!!!" into a computer
>baddies typing "no ur not!!!"
>>
>>64429073

I felt like once it was established how online actions can be just as dangerous as the ones in the real world, the building of tension through online interactions between people was perfectly reasonable.
>>
It's p. good. Bad casting maybe, weak antagonist at least.

Good visual storytelling which was only beaten by Fury Road in 'action' movies this year t bh
>>
>>64429006
>with an obvious effort put into figuring out how actual hacking works.

Yeah no.

He read an article on Stuxnet and wrote a movie. It's mostly gibberish
>>
>>64430692
Yeah except that's wrong. The first sequence alone summarizes basic hacking better than any other movie out there.
>>
>>64429006
This movie sucks and its only purpose is to have a WM + AF romance thus destroying the confidence of asian males keeping them as beta as possible
>>
File: 1422984533285.jpg (846 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1422984533285.jpg
846 KB, 1920x1080
>>64430871
>Nolan-Villeneuve fans this mad Blackhat relies on visual storytelling rather than mindless exposition from exposition machines
>>
>>64429006
love it

saw it twice within a month
>>
>>64431000
even the audio mixing was shit in blackhat
>>
File: 1431553525237.jpg (780 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1431553525237.jpg
780 KB, 1920x1080
>>64432304
>digging yer own grave this fast.

>>64431074
whatcha loved bout it
>>
>>64429006
Because it's Chris Hemsworth trying to be a hacker. Yeah, because big, muscle-bound men are masters of coding.

Also, while it's factually accurate, it's boring as fuck trying to make a movie about cyber crimes. And it ultimately just boils down to a chase and fight scene, making you wish you were watching James Bond instead.
>>
File: 1423573038108.jpg (799 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1423573038108.jpg
799 KB, 1920x1080
>>64432620
>Whining about Alpha Males when watching Mann movie.

Lmao 'dis beta and his shitty "critique".

Did seeing a tall muscle bound smart white male make you drop a one on your cuck pants?
>>
File: bad color grading.png (2 MB, 1920x1568) Image search: [Google]
bad color grading.png
2 MB, 1920x1568
The only thing that bothered me was the inconsistency in the color grading, absolutely disgusting

I don't know if was intentional or not
>>
>>64433006
Post frame numbers so I can check the same scene for myself
>>
>>64433006
I'm pretty sure Mann uses a variety of shit digital camcorders intentionally.
>>
>We need a Michael Mann Presents Blackhat starring Chris Hemsworth of Marvel's Thor hacker named Hathaway.
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>64432620
This was based on a real person although he isn't as big and not even nearly as handsome as hemsworth
>>
>>64429006
I feel sad for the Chinese actress. They always 1. Did good in a Chinese art house. 2. Got full frontal in a Chinese block buster. 3. Got a shitty part speaking poor English in a Hollywood regular action movie which makes you forget she was ever good in anything
>>
>>64433153
thief was based on a real person. blackhat was based on a script about chris hemsworth vs evil richard stallman
>>
File: 1451592558247.jpg (13 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1451592558247.jpg
13 KB, 500x500
>>64433324
>Blackhat
>regular action movie
dude
>>
the plan was too complicated. It's cool but it's disproportionate.

They made a cool scene of nuclear plant melting down. Then they fought battles for it. Then they told you it's just a rehearsal of a really big plan.

Then the really big plan is dropped without explosion and gun fights.

I am especially disappointed that the boss hacker was killed in a knife fight.
>>
>>64431000
>Villeneuve fans this mad Blackhat relies on visual storytelling rather than mindless exposition

But Villeneuve does the same thing exceptionally. Why are you grouping V with Nolan?
>>
>>64433324
Chinese don't allow full frontal at all
>>
>>64433384
>Gong Li in Miami Vice
>>
>>64433574
He absolutely does not, sry. Both him and Nolan share 'Lets hire a good DoP, have him direct the movie and then throw exposition machines moving the plot in there and call it a day', very much apparent in Prisoners (you can read how Jake came about his character because he literally thought it wasn't a character at all) and Sicario.
>>
>>64433537
It was clearly a practice run and a big fucking smoke screen for something that was happening. 0

>Turns into knife fight
That was visual poetry showing the turn of these men's electronical world to our world.
>>
>>64433692
Sicario didn't have any exposition machines, that's why the movie was so great. Same with Enemy.
>>
>>64433757
Sicario? No exposition machines? The fuck two to three characters even explain the story, plot detail by detail to viewer and at that point you've just failed with the script unless it's some stupid fucking Kaufman movie about his failings as a writer and human being.
>>
When is Mann going to make a Kane & Lynch movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=af3rbGkGYgg
>>
>>64433832
When will Mann make a silent film adaptation of Ghost in the Shell?
>>
File: blackhat.jpg (194 KB, 636x358) Image search: [Google]
blackhat.jpg
194 KB, 636x358
Its my MOTY too. Pic related was one of Mann's most visually striking scenes in any of his movies.
And those complaining about the Hemsworth casting, there's a featurette where Mann talks about researching the top hackers in the world (based on severity of crimes or whatever) and among them were like, some alpha playboy and a 7ft tall bodybuilder. So having someone that looks like Hemsworth as a hacker extraordinaire isn't that farfetched.
>>
>>64434310
Having someone be alpha male in Mann movie isn't a surprise. His main chars. have never been betas.
>>
File: 1451519101114.webm (3 MB, 1000x416) Image search: [Google]
1451519101114.webm
3 MB, 1000x416
>>64432620
>boils down to a chase and fight scene, making you wish you were watching James Bond instead
Sadak is the opposite of a James Bond villain, he has hubris and is self-agrandizing, but it's about how hes come to see himself behind a computer screen, an online God, then gets caught back by reality: he dies a pathetic death, he is nothing in the real world but a fleeting shadow in the middle of an indifferent crowd, one screwdriver is enough to end him. Its similar to how Vincent dies in Collateral: build up throughout the whole film as an invincible hitman who has everything figured out but dies indifferently on a subway as the city slowly wakes up

Blackhat has a pretty stupid plot, in any other's filmmakers hands it would have been a generic bmovie. I think even the most hardcore Mannfag will admit its cliché genre stuff. But theres still layers of thematic depth, the aesthetics, the mood all point to the theme being about the sensuality of the real world vs the cold nature of the digital world. Hathaway "wins" because hes still connected to the real world, through his love and passion with Tang Wei, though all the self-reflection and meditation he went through in prison, through his anger and grief. The chaotic brutal nature of the action scenes mixed with the ethereal sensuality of the digital photo reflect that

Of course a tourist vedditor lost on his way to SW and Sicario threads wouldnt be able to perceive this but Mann tells the thematic journey of characters through texture, movement, gestures! Its brilliant Kinography. Even the controversial casting of Hemwsorth is legitimate, and justified right from the first couple of scenes. Manns characters have always been romanticized and idealized archetypes. He is shown as a character above conformity and false dichotomies, training both his body and his mind while in his cell. No doubt he has read Yukio Mishimas Sun&Steel, which angry fat /g/ neckbeards have never heard about
>>
File: 1426166376234.jpg (879 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1426166376234.jpg
879 KB, 1920x1080
>>64434505
Since you rekt some pleb incredibly hard, have one Mann night time shot, its on the house
>>
>>64434505
The fuck reddit calm down
>>
>>64433006

Knowing Mann it probably was intentional
>>
>>64431000
>WHERE IS MY SON KELLOG
>>
File: 1417296917035.jpg (191 KB, 1284x980) Image search: [Google]
1417296917035.jpg
191 KB, 1284x980
>>64433736
>electronical
blackhat fans everyone
>>
>>64433006
fRAMES PLEASE
>>
>>64434505

I love this copy pasta

because I agree with it 100%
>>
>>64434310
Really? Even critics who initially praised it didn't put it in their top 10 of the year.
>>
File: Lust Caution 2007.jpg (163 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Lust Caution 2007.jpg
163 KB, 1920x1080
>>64433324
>>64433594
> In March 2008, China's State Administration of Radio Film and Television (SARFT) ordered a media ban due to Tang's performance of sexual acts in Lust, Caution.[8][9] Because of the controversy instigated by the statement, this was followed by discontinuing most of Tang's forthcoming TV commercials to endorse various snack foods and cosmetics.
I have fapped so many times to her scene tbdesuhonest senfampai
>>
File: Wei Tang (2).jpg (54 KB, 400x594) Image search: [Google]
Wei Tang (2).jpg
54 KB, 400x594
>>64434990
Not him, but I don't even have a top 10, only a top 2:
1. Knight of Cups
2. Blackhat

Why would anybody bother with anything else from this year?
>>
>>64435110
Because From What is Before is better than both.
>>
>>64435110
i WAS going to honestly guess if KoC was in your MOTY list because that's what BlaCKHATfags seem to praise

both look like bad cologne ads...
>>
>>64434505
>I think even the most hardcore Mannfag will admit its cliché genre stuff. But theres still layers of thematic depth, the aesthetics, the mood all point to the theme being about the sensuality of the real world vs the cold nature of the digital world

>projecting this hard

I don't understand how anyone can think its a good hacker movie when there is the most cliche hacker scene: protagonist frantically typing on a keyboard before sitting back and exasperatingly saying "I'm in."

fuck off
>>
File: Wei Tang (3).jpg (151 KB, 699x1024) Image search: [Google]
Wei Tang (3).jpg
151 KB, 699x1024
>>64435279
Blackhat is indeed too beautiful for this world, which is why unwashed people like you rejected it. "Too cold", they said. "Not realistic" they said. I struggle to understand what went through the mainstream critics' mind during Hathaway and Lien's first sex scene, which came at a time they were waiting until dawn for an international flight. It was out of necessity that they found each other, and their physical chemistry couldn't have been more perfect. It was beautiful.

And then there was the professionalism, on all fronts. It's a Mann film after all. Lien's brother catches her and Hathaway in bed together, and what does he do? Does he get all huffy and create unnecessary drama like literally hundreds of other movies with the same situation? No. He goes about his fucking job. They all go about their business, because the mission takes absolute precedent.

This is the type of thriller we desperately need these days. The human drama is there, but it's SECONDARY to the mission. But when the human drama is there, it's a home run. During the first firefight, some random mook is mortally wounded. Do the other nameless mooks just leave him there? No, they carry him to safety like he's a real person, a friend, a brother they've worked with before. When that random mook dies on the speedboat (it's not a true Mann film without a speedboat) you FEEL the loss that they feel.

The actual plot of the movie is nothing special, admittedly. Topical techno-thriller that goes through the proper channels, kills off a few characters in the third act, delivers a viscerally satisfying climax, and leaves certain things unanswered at the end.

But the presentation of this movie is what really makes it a winner. Hemsworth does the "Mann protag" justice. Leehom Wang is the real audience surrogate of the story and he takes the role with gusto. Wei Tang does her absolute finest as Hathaway's love interest. An admirable effort by Michael Mann.
>>
>>64430725
>The code is beautiful

No. The only scene that remotely resembles anything like "Hacking" is the email phishing scam.

The rest of the movie was generic action suspense. Very very far below Mann's other films like Manhunter or Heat.
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.