[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
People complain that Darth Maul didn't have a personality
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 4
People complain that Darth Maul didn't have a personality
But Neither did a lot of great screen villains
Jaws
Mike Meyers
Jason Vorhees
Terminator

I feel like people who complain about this don't really understand the language of cinema
>>
>>64425053
Is this bait? This is bait right? Are you retarded?
>>
>>64425053
Yeah, Maul was really great.

He actually had a really cool monologue that was just used for commercials.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZE1UM6xpjM

Qui-Gon and Amidala also have "tone poems," but Maul's is the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6M8aPJG9_c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2MrLXA_zSQ
>>
>>64425227
Darth maul was terrible.
>>
>>64425214
>image.jpg
Yes to both.
>>
>>64425214
>I don't understand cinema

Go read a book, film is beyond you
>>
File: that's bait.webm (358 KB, 1912x792) Image search: [Google]
that's bait.webm
358 KB, 1912x792
>>64425053
>>
>>64425238
He's a big guy
>>
>>64425245
Nah, Maul was wonderful.
>>
File: saveme.jpg (100 KB, 626x626) Image search: [Google]
saveme.jpg
100 KB, 626x626
>giving women a platform to vocalize their thoughts
>>
>>64425053

Those villains all had something that was at the very least threatening about them

All Maul has is 'oh no he's a sith lord', you are never shown anything that establishes Maul as a threat besides shallow investigation about someone the jedi don't know about
>>
t. teh penguin of doom xDD
>>
>>64425302
his face looks like the devil and he had a double lightsaber. pretty threatening to me
>>
>People complain that Darth Maul didn't have a personality. But Neither did a lot of great screen villains

The Terminator had personality. Every line from him is quotable. Jaws had personality, you can hum his theme in any situation and it will be reminiscent of him stalking people. Mike Meyers and Jason Vorhees were scary because they would have killed anybody, but Darth Maul only killed an old man who faced him in combat honorably.

Imagine if Darth Vader never had any dialogue, and after he kills Obi-Wan in A New Hope, Luke runs over and cleaves him in two with a lightsaber. That's Darth Maul's entire arc.
>>
File: luchatip.webm (225 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
luchatip.webm
225 KB, 1280x720
>>64425310
>>
>>64425302
>was a sith
>wanted to kill the main heroes

Seemed threatening enough to me
>>
>>64425393
Maul had a cool song

I'm not saying he was as good as those other villains but that he was similar to them. To complain about his "personality" is nostalgia critic tier fill criticism

The greatest Disney villain is often listed as "Man" from Bambi. I don't recall him having much personality. It's how the film is made that's more important than giving detailed background and motivation for each character
>>
>>64425261
I do understand cinema.

Every character listed by OP combines the fear of the savage, unrelenting, and remorseless entity in regards to which we are powerless. The way the movies are filmed is largely what we derive our fear from: the camera is used often as the enemy's POV in the first three mentioned. The enemies don't have a solid, definable character because they represent the fear of the unknown.

Being as Star wars is not meant to frighten, but to excite - it's Sci-Fi/Action - Darth Maul is just comes off as some guy painted red who doesn't speak.

Horror films don't have antagonists in the same way that action films do: the film is generally a means to scare the audience through suspense, which is helped by a villain who's backstory is unknown. The Star Wars prequels are populated by long, drawn out fights which would be boring anyway, but which are made even worse by the fact that we don't know anything about the characters from information given to us in the movie.
>>
>>64425473
Maul was purposely designed to be a nightmare (it's what Lucas asked for)

He didn't do a good job of setting up the character but argument that maul didn't have a personality is missing the point.
>>
>>64425053
fuck it, I'll take the bait

>Jaws
relentless killing machine
>Mike Meyers
>Jason Vorhees
>Terminator
>Darth Maul
some guy who just shows up to fight
>>
>>64425407

He had done nothing to prove himself as a force to be reckoned with. Jaws and Terminator and countless others are shown to kill people, establishing WHY they are a threat. Maul doesn't have that unless you count the superficial of 'he's the bad guy because the movie told me'
>>
>>64425519
He doesn't seem like a nightmare because he's presented in goofy settings (always broad daylight), inter-cut with scenes of jar jar stepping in shit. This film should not have tried to have a "nightmare" character.
>>
>>64425466

>Maul had a cool song

The point of mentioning Jaws' song is that it is reminiscent of Jaws stalking someone and ripping them to shreds. Maul's song doesn't do that. If you managed to hum the Duel of Fates I could just as well remember the scene where Anakin went looking for his mom and slaughtered those sand people. They recycled Maul's theme because the scenes with him weren't iconic enough for the song to even be associated with Maul.

>It's how the film is made that's more important than giving detailed background and motivation for each character

I'll agree with this statement but if you're saying the Phantom Menace was handled well then I must respectfully accuse you of being a troll.
>>
>>64425524
This.
>>
>>64425524
I don't know, Maul seems like a relentless killing machine . Plus he's basically sheev's hitman
>>
>>64425053
people complain about darth maul not having a personality? The fucking title of the movie is called the phantom menace. AKA no one seen him coming. Thats why there was no need to go into his personality. It was the Jedi's point of view in that film. Not the Siths point of view.
>>
>>64425534
Who else would tell you about a character? Of course the movie tells you that
>>
>>64425662
That's why the film is shit.
>>
>>64425325
i wonder what's trump favorite show
>>
>>64425646

When do they show him to be a relentless killing machine prior to the final fight? (or even during for that matter? The fight was so gymnastically choreographed it seemed like quigon only died because of a mistake rather than maul actually trying to kill him from the start)

>>64425673
Are you familiar with the concept 'show, don't tell'?

>>64425662
>It's shit on purpose
not an excuse for bad screenwriting
>>
>>64425662
m8 the phantom menace is Sheev
>>
>>64425673
He's referring to the rule of "show, don't tell". In the movies mentioned by the OP, we are explicitly shown that we should fear the antagonists; in "The Phantom Menace" we are only told about it. This is a recurring trend in the prequels: Anakin and Obi-wan's adventures are never shown; only talked about.
>>
>>64425589
Phantom Menace wasn't well made
But the argument against it shows a clear lack of understand of film and how it works
It's like how every YouTube critic calls everything a plot hole
>>
>>64425704
The live feed into Ivanka's bedroom
>>
>>64425744
what did she mean by this?
>>
>>64425724
Not Plinkett's.
>inb4 reddit
>>
>>64425519
It's Lucas's job to make it translate from concept from his brain to the script. There's at most two lines we get from Maul. He's supposedly a violent animal, and he vividly looks the part and physically acts the part, but the dialog doesn't match.

>"At last we will reveal ourselves, at last we will have our revenge". That just sounds as refined and nearly civilized for a villain. I'd rather him have some sort of cheesy "We'll feast on their blood" type of dialog so we can understand he's a vicious savage better.

>>64425524
>Jaws
Main villain, gets the screen time
>Meyers
Main villain, gets the screen time
>Jason Vorhees
main villain, gets the screen time
>Terminator
gets the fucking screen time, movie is named after him
>Maul
He's the secondary villain, behind the real villain who is hiding behind the political front Chinese bad guys figureheads. I guess he's a killing machine since he kills one guy and every time he's mentioned by someone in the EU he gets called a vicious animal, but it just doesn't show as well as it can.

I love Maul for what he could have been, not what Lucas made him.
>>
>>64425708
just kill me
>>
>>64425790
what did she mean by this?
>>
>>64425706
>show don't tell
So I assume you only watch silent films?

He's a threat but not a wild animal because he works for sheev. That's the extent of the character. It doesn't need to be more than that.
Yes Lucas did a poor job of it but to complain about his lack of motivation and personality is stupid.
>>
>>64425534
>Maul doesn't have that

...Maul kills a main character
>>
>>64425840
So you don't understand show don't tell, got it

>>64425861
At the end of the movie. We're talking about what's meant to make you care about the fight before that happens. Try to keep up
>>
>>64425861
then dies a minute later

maybe if he killed Gui-Gon earlier in the movie and his death actually mattered, Maul would have been perceived as a decent villain
>>
>>64425840
Holy shit. Someone who doesn't understand "show, don't tell" shouldn't be so arrogant as to consider their opinion as anything more than shit.
Film is an inherently visual medium (the fact that I have to say that is fucking retarded), it's not about being explicitly told things as if we are stupid. This is why exposition is often veiled in dialogue, and narration is to be generally avoided.
>>
>>64425861
He hasn't killed anyone prior to that. That's his point.
>>
>>64426512
Yes.
>>
I'm too sexy for this board.
>>
>>64426600
Go to bed Elliot
>>
File: 1433357296940.jpg (274 KB, 1685x2048) Image search: [Google]
1433357296940.jpg
274 KB, 1685x2048
>literally deleting every picture and reference to Daddario but leaving the Star Wars shitposting

B R A V O
R
A
V
O

Anyway, OP, yeah, I agree, Darth Maul had this dark, threatening feel to him that was achieved without use of many words. I still remember him appearing on Naboo, that was great moment of original trilogy.

However, I dislike General Grevious, he was too goofy.

Still, THE BEST villain of Star Wars is Kylo Ren, everything about him is perfection. Jesus, Disney geting their rights on Star Wars is the greatest thing to happen to the series, long live Disney and Star Wars, onwards to 2 billion box office!
>>
>>64427779
>original trilogy
???????????
>>
>>64427779
Disney paid their protection money

Alex didn't
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.