[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I was reading a recent article on Seinfeld that was arguing that
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 27
File: parking.png (227 KB, 337x233) Image search: [Google]
parking.png
227 KB, 337x233
I was reading a recent article on Seinfeld that was arguing that the show could not stand the test of time as a classic because younger generations would not understand a lot of the plot devices, an example being when they all get lost and separated in the parking garage.

The author argued that younger audiences wouldn't get this and not find it funny because they would be wondering where there cell phones are the entire episode.

I'm not sure how young an audience the author is talking about I'm 29 and grew up watching Seinfeld starting in grade school. And still love it to this day.

Also how can he argue a show can't stand the test of time because of technological advances when old classics like I Love Lucy are still running strong?

I don't get this argument.
>>
Yeah, it's a retarded argument. Here's how it would go:

>"Why don't they just use their cell phones?"
>"They didn't have cell phones back then."
>"Oh, OK."
>>
I'm 29 also and I did not start watching Seinfeld until I was about 20.

I loved the show immediately. I get the same type of enjoyment out of it that I get from stuff like Married With Children and 90s Simpsons.

Ultimately, I understand where that author is coming from, but I don't think it would be that hard for younger audiences to get into, as long as they wait until they're 18 or so to start watching it.
>>
>>64423386
It's just a dumb argument. im 23 and watched seinfeld for the first time in 2005 and it was hilarious. i used to watch MASH around the same time and loved that too. good comedy can survive technological advances.
>>
>>64423386

The show won't stand the test of time because it's not funny and Jerry Seinfeld can't act.
>>
>>64423527
You're not funny and you can't act. So there.
>>
How do cellphones help you find your car? Besides, there is usually no service in parking garages to call each other
>>
>>64423527
Get this hothead out of here
>>
I've found that the people I meet who don't get Seinfeld are either not very bright or just autistic. Either they'll say things like "it's dated" or they don't understand the social norms the show is lampooning
>>
Many people dont find Seinfeld funny because theyve heard the jokes before, since every comedy ever made since Seinfeld has stolen from the show it some shape or form. Think of the sheer amount of characters created on that show
>Putty
>Costanzo
>Ray Ramanos brother
>Jerry Stiller
>Newman
>Elaine
These actors all made a career stealing characters Jerry wrote. Without Seinfeld, you dont have Family Guy, Everybody Loves Raymond, Zoolander, Jurassic Park, etc
>>
>>64423386
I also grew up watching Seinfeld.

I love that I grew up watching it because I got to enjoy the show twice.

Once with my child mind laughing mostly at Kramer's sillyness and Elaine's brashness, and then again as an adult when I could pick up and understand the adult jokes.

I love when you get to enjoy a great show or movie twice because of the change in your perspective over time.
>>
File: 1406000889824.jpg (31 KB, 323x323) Image search: [Google]
1406000889824.jpg
31 KB, 323x323
>younger generations will be too stupid to realize that modern technology didn't exist in the past
>>
>>64423745
Depending on what country you're in does that seem so outlandish?
>>
>>64423386
Is this what OP is talking about?

https://www.datalounge.com/thread/11230037-shows-that-have-not-stood-the-test-of-time
>>
>>64423745

>tfw kids these days would just instagram or snapchat pics with captions "hehe lost"
>>
when cell phones weren't common there were payphones every 10 feet in nyc
>>
This is dumb as shit.

>Uh, The Great Gatsby won't stand the test of time because the new generation won't understand why New York is so small
>>
>>64423888
Why didn't the old sport just swipe left?
>>
>not a single show or film made in england will stand the test of time because everyone isn't muslim
>>
>>64423548
this.

they dont get lost. they cant find the car. thats a pretty fucking clever car that can tell you where the fuck it is.

maybe paying attention to plot details isnt a thing this author ''gets''

tiptopkek
>>
are you retarded or something lmao? yeah payphones are great for calling somebody AT HOME. they are not so great for receiving phonecalls you retard
>>
>>64423841
You do realize most people wouldn't have the numbers of the payphones written down and think to call another payphone hoping that their friend has the presence of mind to stand by that payphone in case they call right?
>>
>>64423888
>old sport
I got so damned tired of hearing that after watching the movie.
>>
>i'm 29
pro tip: you are not a young audience member
>>
>Braveheart wont stand the test of time because what are these "sords"???? NO GUNZ TOPKEK
>>
>>64423935
people had house numbers memorized though. also answering machines

a big joke in the chinese restaurant is george waiting for a payphone when he could have just walked a block in any direction
>>
File: tumblr_kt6rkxCFrS1qzjn2io1_400.png (111 KB, 312x234) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_kt6rkxCFrS1qzjn2io1_400.png
111 KB, 312x234
>all the great voicemail gags we wouldnt have gotten if there were cells in the 90s
>>
>>64423487
You're underestimating how dumb the youth of today are.
>>
Stop reading Cracked, OP. It's a feminist shill website run by Jews.
>>
>>64423956
Never fucking reply to me again unless you're contributing to the thread.
>>
>>64423386

There aren't that many episodes that deal with chronistic tech.
>>
>>64423572

i would love if if this was true. But some of my brightest friends don't get it. It's a question about what kind of pace you like your humor to be in
>>
>>64423487
We're talking aboimut Bernie Sanders voters here. I doubt your average intelligence youth will have any trouble understanding 90s sitcoms
>>
>>64423386
I overheard some tall muscular guy in glasses say that to some skinny redhead guy about a year ago.

Are you one of those guys?
>>
they did have cell phones in the 90's, even shows like the x files, they appear as plot devices frequently.
on seinfeld they didnt really start using them till around 96 on the show, when just about anyone under 40 had one.
>>
>>64423386
>a show that ran for 15 years won't hold up because of one episode
Anvil, please. I used to watch Twilight Zones when I was a kid and lived them
>>
File: 1425952252119.jpg (26 KB, 510x476) Image search: [Google]
1425952252119.jpg
26 KB, 510x476
>>64424052
>1996
>everyone having cellphones
>>
>>64424019

Funny enough, Bernie sanders voters are geniuses compared to trump voters
>>
>>64424052
No one had cell phones back then unless you where a biz exec or similar. Literally only became half popular things around 2000.
>>
>>64424122
Jeb pls go
>>
>>64424016
The people who don't get or don't like Seinfeld tend to be the people who love The Big Bang Theory.
>>
>>64423527
jerry´s bad acting makes the show more fun
>>
>>64424162
BAZINGA
>>
>>64423487

this>>64423996

kids today think things are more racist /sexist/homophobic now than it was in the past. their minds are a parking garage, and reason,understand and logic are like the characters in seinfeld.
kramer is still kramer though
>>
>>64424052

>literally making stuff up
>>
>>64423386
I'm 21 and I grew up watching Seinfeld as a kid through it's original run and re-runs.
I still feel like the show is relevant today. It isn't reliant on pop culture or technology to make its jokes.
It's just great writing and great characters.
>>
>>64424052
Oldfag here.

This is true up to a point.
Most adults had a cell phone by around 96'- 97', but not kids (anyone under 21) and certainly not grandpa and grandma.
Shit, by 97' you had to have one for work or you would get serious flack from your boss.
>>
>>64423996
>>64423745
>>64424221
>Man, kids these days are so shit!
I strongly doubt that you're a baby-boomer but the fact that you tow the same line as them is penetratingly fucking trite and ill-informed. Particularly when the same vitriol towards young people is almost always spewed by a generation who have single handedly fucked our economy and geopolitical landscape and who have the biggest entitlement complex of any demographic living.
>>
>>64423548
>>64423928
To be fair, there is a point in the episode where some of them do find the car but by that point they've split up so they can't leave.
>>
my kid is 10 and loves this show
>>
>>64423903
underrated
>>
My gf's son is 5 and loves the show
>>
File: bait3.jpg (31 KB, 598x334) Image search: [Google]
bait3.jpg
31 KB, 598x334
>>64424719
>>
>>64424390
This

>this genaration is stupid

Stop this youtube comment section faggotry
>>
>>64424860
Is that from the sims?
>>
>>64423386
You people are retarded. Its not that younger generations wouldnt understand people didnt nave cell phones, its that they didnt have those experiences and cant realte. Seinfeld will be a relic just like all in the family or the honey mooners. You all just cant perceive a world where all the things you enjoy are irrelevant.
>>
>>64425255
In what world is All in the Family a relic? That shit is comedic gold and I guarantee you some of the things stated in that show you never could get away with without protests day and night around the studio.
>>
File: Karen.jpg (15 KB, 250x286) Image search: [Google]
Karen.jpg
15 KB, 250x286
who was cutest seinfeld gril?
>>
>>64425511
Checked.
>>
File: Tony.jpg (11 KB, 311x196) Image search: [Google]
Tony.jpg
11 KB, 311x196
>>64425511
Tony, definitely Tony.
>>
>>64425511
>>64425566

The girl who developed Costanza's pictures.
>>
>>64425601
Hey dude, ya better step off.
>>
File: yada.png (249 KB, 524x344) Image search: [Google]
yada.png
249 KB, 524x344
>>64425511
>>
who /anna/ here?
>>
File: images.jpg (19 KB, 443x332) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
19 KB, 443x332
>>
>>64423979
There is voicemail on cellphones, you rube
>>
>watch old movie
>wew why dont they just use cell phones
literally all old movies are now shit
>>
>>64425441
Ofcourse not. Its of a different time. But dont tell me this generation ismbingenwatching honey mooners. Also, all in the family isminsanely dated,for better or worse. Some of the best racist moments on tv though.
>>
>>64423386
The argument is really dumb, it's not common in today's day and age to have no battery left in your phone or to have shitty connection inside a big parking garage, rendering that form of communication useless.
>>
What you have here is a typical case of a writer talking out of his ass to take down something he doesn't like without actually offering any insight as to why a show is bad.

The author obviously just doesn't like Seinfeld but lacks the vocabulary and perhaps ability to articulate their opinion to the point they bring up arbitrary points to diminish a show's legacy, rather than argument why the humor, story or characters aren't as good as perceived.

Or it's just clickbait. Never rule out articles like this just being clickbait written by people who simply don't really care about the subject and just want clicks.

The argument itself dies pretty soon; many young people go see movies and shows set in a different time and even Science Fiction that takes place in the past (relative to the present, not when the movie came out) without making a million 9gag/reddit/imgur posts about 'lol why didn't Alexander the Great just call in reinforcements with his iPhone'.
>>
>>64425804
I haven't had a call go into voicemail for the last five years when calling a private person's number.
>>
>>64425993
No moron. Its no longer as relatable to todays generation. And as time goes on, it will only become less so. It was one ofmthe greatest sitcoms of the 90s but 20 or 30 years from now that point wont be very significant.
>>
>>64426048
How's it not relatable? Ever had a dead battery or no signal in an underground parking?
>>
>>64423487
No shit. But the show loses a lot of comedic value when you can't relate to what's happening, which is why younger people don't find it as funny as they would if they were alive at the time it was airing.
>>
>>64426048

Does everything have to be #relatable? When was the last time a chicken restaurant opened up across the street and its neon lights kept you up at night?
>>
File: Katya.jpg (8 KB, 239x233) Image search: [Google]
Katya.jpg
8 KB, 239x233
>>64425511
>tfw never a world of sensual delights that most men dare not dream of
>>
>>64426138

So people with a dead parent or both parents dead will not find George's parents having sex in a van and getting caught by George, Jerry, Kramer and the other guy funny? Considering it's so unrelatable to them.
>>
yeah the article neglects the idea that younger generations can still place it in historical context as we do with everything older

once again, another attempt in the scattershot criticism that is really retarded at times
>>
>>64426139
It was situational comedy. If you've never experienced the situation. I.e. looking for a parking spot in a garage. Plus, the fried chicken is later on when the show became more absurd amd is less relevant to an episode like the car park.
>>
>>64423386
My sister in law is 11, her brother is 16. They both love it.

I'm 25, I love Mash. My wife is 23 and she loves I Love Lucy.

This argument has no basis in reality, does this guy actually interact with other humans.
>>
File: george wax.jpg (14 KB, 373x331) Image search: [Google]
george wax.jpg
14 KB, 373x331
>>64423386
I wouldn't say that youth not liking it can be solely blamed on technology differences.

I wasn't interested in seinfeld when my dad watched it for years before, I really regret not sitting down and watching more with him. I was given the first 2 seasons on dvd for christmas when they came out in 2002 or so. I was 15 at the time, and couldn't get into the show. granted, the first couple seasons are pretty rough, but as I aged a couple years, I picked up the 4th season somewhere and grew to lovethe show, and it only gets better as you age.

Seinfeld is not a show for 15 year olds. People will discover it as they age.
>>
>>64426139
Not to mention the grainy audio and low quality 90s visuals from early seasons that would probably be unwatchable for the majority of people 30 years feom now.
>>
>>64426226
yeah remember that time you got in a limo and people thought you were the leader of the aryan union
>>
>>64426296
Happens all the time.
>>
>>64426029
I always just text them what I had to ask when someone doesn't answer.
>>
>muh timelessness
>>
>>64423679
You mean, Larry David wrote.
>>
>>64426235
Youve literally picked the most famous tv shows in the past 50 years that have influnced all modern television. Of course it holds up because there are roots to modern tv today. But dont act like the majority of people will have an interest in the classics to the degree you do. The classics have historical significance but will inevitably be relagated to trivia
>>
>>64425511
Counselor Troy?
>>
>>64426381
That wasn't the point though was it.
The argument was the show could not stand the test of time as a classic because younger generations would not understand a lot of the plot devices. My argument is this simply is not the case, people who aren't of the era are perfectly capable of understanding dated plot devices.
>>
>>64423386
They should do a remake of Seinfeld starring

Gary Busey as Kramer
Danny Devito as George
Kathy Griffin as Elaine
John Goodman as Newman
and
George Takei as Jerry Seinfeld.
>>
>>64426296
Your missing the fucking point moron. Relatable doesnt mean what you think it means. What was once innovative becomes bland and redundant as tastes change. People wont give a shit about Seinfeld one day, itll be just like giligans island.
>>
>>64426437
>remake with new actors that are older than the original actors
>>
>>64426288

It's not as if there have been HD releases of the show at all.

Oh wait.
>>
File: george eclair2.gif (2 MB, 245x179) Image search: [Google]
george eclair2.gif
2 MB, 245x179
It will be forever relevant, as is this.

Was George right? Or was it garbage?
>>
>>64426432
Oh we were arguing different points. Eventually seinfeld wont be as significant. But i agree, the lack of cell phones won't inhibit its status as a classic.
>>
>>64426451

What do relatability and innovation have to do with each other?

Do you have shares in Cracked or something?
>>
That's an example they all point to when they say this, what a lazy article
>>
>>64426471
Aha you fucking cunt. Whens the last time you watched a full season of the dean martin show, i love lucy, honeymooners etc? Its not for the lacking of hd quality. And no matter how advance technology gets the first couple seasons of seinfeld will always be shit.
>>
File: frodo.png (214 KB, 400x399) Image search: [Google]
frodo.png
214 KB, 400x399
>>64423386
that's retarded, that's basically saying they wouldn't have the ability to understand a contemporary movie that is set in the past before technology was everywhere

>why didn't we just take an Uber to mt doom??
>>
>>64426516
Innovation means change. Change means what was once relatable isnt. You unthinking tard.
>>
>>64426491
Not garbage it's sitting on top
>>
>>64426565
>>why didn't we just take an Uber to mt doom??

kek or just Nuke Mordor
>>
>>64423487
It's not about literal understanding, it's about relation.
If a millennial can't say "haha I relate to that" then it will be less funny in their eyes.
>>
>>64426491
It was in the can, with the lid closed, for some amount of time. If it were left on the top of some newspapers next to the can or on top of the can with no lid (imagine it stacked high above the rim)
>>
File: 1451695903000s.jpg (7 KB, 250x235) Image search: [Google]
1451695903000s.jpg
7 KB, 250x235
Out of all the episodes where cellphones could of helped... how the FUCK is a cellphone going to help you, when you can't find your car in a multistory car park?

Unless you took a photo of your car level/spot then you are still fucked.
>>
>>64426437
>Kathy Griffin as Elaine
>Julia Louis-Dreyfus as Sally Weaver
>>
>>64426239
Yeah, it was never a show for kids. Sort of like M*A*S*H, you don't sit your 9 year old down to watch it. In order to fully appreciate Seinfeld you pretty much have to be 15/16+.
>>
>it took 5-6 years for the morons on /tv/ to realise that someone commentary on the comedic genius of seinfeld is retarded

how does it feel to be an adult
>>
>>64426594
Hmm maybe when they split up they could of called one another and the entire episode wouldmhave last 5 minutes
>>
For the most part, it's timeless. There are SOME things that don't make sense now (like that episode where Jerry remarks that calling someone using a cell phone is bad form and means you don't care) but it's easy to understand the context. It's not like I can't watch movies from the 1950s and not understand them.
>>
>>64426492
I agree it won't be significant, I'm sure most kids have probably never heard of it. But the fact no one but Elaine as a cell phone, and that no one uses internet won't stop people getting and enjoying the situational comedy.
>>
>>64426580
adjacent to refuse
>>
The author of that article was just biased. He/she thinks that the new generation uses cellphones too much, and he tried (and failed) to make an argument about how it's a bad thing.
>>
>>64423527
>>64423501
>>64423493

Ok how about this?

A 1970s episode of a sitcom is about the main character who has to return a book to the library but the library closes at 4pm and he never has a free moment. If he doesn't return his book in time he will have a $1.00 fine, which will mean he cannot buy the comic book he wanted. How will the main character make it?

Scenarios like that would never hold up today and this is why people dont laugh/watch old shows.
>>
>>64426674
Of course not. But in 20 years people looking for a parked car wont be that interesting a subject to last a full 20 minutes. Unless theyre into that. People who are in their 20s can like oldies but lets notmpretend that the majority ofmpeople are watching these classics. Fuck i dont even know one person thats watched an entire episode of murphy brown and that was one of the hugest sitcoms of all times and changed sitcoms as we know them. But who the fuck mentions it.
>>
>>64426729
>this is why people dont laugh/watch old shows.
by people you mean you
>>
>>64426729
But they DO watch old shows and they DO laugh...
>>
>>64426729
>libraries don't exist in the current year
>>
>>64426729
What point are you trying to make? There's nothing bad about your pitch.
>>
>>64426760
You're an idiot. You and the 2 people you know are idiots.

Look at tv right now. There's a lot of old shows airing. Shows that people watch.
>>
>>64426729
>people are this retarded
you can literally swap out library book and comic book for anything. literally anything
the idea is still the same, a deadline and a dilemma
>>
>>64426829
>old shows airing. Shows that people watch.
On channels like MeTV, Antenna, etc... designed for old people who wont mind the network trimming out parts for time and shoving in Medicare and lifealert commercials every 5 minutes
>>
>>64426729
>Scenarios like that would never hold up today and this is why people dont laugh/watch old shows.

you mean rules do not hold up today?? any one can understand that the character has to follow a certain set of rules or there will be consequences it's not like libraries don't exist today, or rentals or fees or not having enough time or money or any other thing you want to insert. people can comprehend rules and if the rules are explained beforehand they can understand any situation
>>
>>64426829
Oh right, on deja vu? Oh wait they cancelled that network. Maybe comedy gold? Ooo... if you think those channels have hugher ratings then an hbo or nbc youre delusional and as stupid as you assume i am, you fucking cunt. Just because some peoplewatch doesnt mean the majority do. Fuck youre stupid.
>>
>>64423539
goddamn
>>
People who can't understand that cell phones weren't a thing back then wouldn't enjoy the show anyways.
>>
File: image.jpg (70 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
70 KB, 640x427
>hurr durr young people hate old things!!!
>>
>>64426760
But the "search for the lost car" is just the background, the meaty part of the episode are the gags and funny situations the characters encounter during the episode. Saying that the episode is all about looking for a lost car is shortsighted.
>>
>>64426877
Which doesnt mean the situation will be interesting to people in modren times. Why is that so hard to understand? Seinfeld isnt as good as you think itmis.
>>
>>64426858
Yes, yes, you're right, your opinion is the only correct one, you win, the world is as you think it is, not as it really is, etc., etc.

Now you can sleep well tonight, right?
>>
>>64426729
>No one will enjoy Gladiator because who the fuck still lives in the Roman Empire
>>
>>64426877
>>64426801
>>64426796

Alright my example didn't work, I was trying to suggest and event that isn't relatable, because most people dont use libraries any more.

It could even be something like "Jake wants fast food but they aren't open past 8pm"
or
"When the family's TV antenna breaks right before the superbowl, they must find a way to get their TV signal back in less than an hour...or miss the big game"

Maybe I need to get even more banal
>>
>>64426922
>the wolf off wall street
>>
>>64426928
But thats literally the plot. They literally get lost because they cant organize because they cant communicate. Yes elaine has a fish and kramer is holding an air conditioner. Oh and george and jerry pee. Fuck this episode ismgarbage, its not not even well liked today. No one will give a shit about this episode in 100 years.
>>
>>64426922
beta max has superior image quality, faggot
>>
>>64427005
Both of these things are entirely possible today. If you're too retarded to even think of a scenario that fits your thesis, then maybe you're thesis is shit
>>
>>64423386
I was born in 1994 and watched Seinfeld as it was still airing with my family. It's only mouthbreathing Gen Z retards who wouldn't be able to understand it.
>>
>>64423679
>Putty
oh my fucking god..
>>
I can see what they mean, I watched some mid-late 90s show and all of a sudden someone brought up a pager and it occurred to me that no one had cell phones and a pager was something special. Other than that it was same as usual.So yeah some shows, episodes and even movies don't really work as well now because we have phones, internet, wifi etc. but it's rarely a major thing.
>>
>>64427005
Dont listen to them. Theyre being contrarian fucks and none of them would watch that episode based on that outline. Most of these fags probably dont even read, lets be honest.
>>
>>64426967
>Which doesnt mean the situation will be interesting to people in modren times.

no situation is interesting without talented writers actors and directors making it interesting.

>Why is that so hard to understand?
it's easy to understand that your're a faggot

>Seinfeld isnt as good as you think itmis.
yes it is faggot
>>
>>64427005
All those things are relatable not because you have a TV that has an antenna but because you once had a similar situation when the Internet was down and a game was on
Same with the parking eps, there maybe an situation when your phone was dead and you couldn't call your friend
>>
>>64426729
You're totally right! This is why shows and movies not taking place in The Current Year are such flops and even the Current Year shows/movies will stop grossing money when The Current Year is over.
>>
File: sharon.jpg (41 KB, 650x441) Image search: [Google]
sharon.jpg
41 KB, 650x441
>>64425511
Definitely her
>not that there's anything wrong with that
>>
>>64427005
I don't really see the problem. You establish a rule and then the character has to struggle against it. How relatable do you think something as to be? I love MASH and I'm pretty damn sure I was not in the Korean War.
>>
>>64426988
There's a difference between something being so far out of our time period (Star wars etc and historical films) and things that are just a few decades behind
>>
>i cant enjoy star wars because i'm not a space man
>why didnt luke just call darth vader on his cell phone
>>
>>64426543
>not LOVING The Pony Remark
get a load of this faggot..also; the show was shot on 35mm film
>>
>>64427005
It's like saying star wars isn't relatable because I don't live on tatooine and I'm not a moisture farmer who wants to go to tashi station for some power converters.

You completely miss the point. People can understand what these scenarios mean based on the context of what they're watching. By your logic, anything set in a different setting other than current day america is unrelatable

Let me walk this through with you using one of your examples
>"When the family's TV antenna breaks right before the superbowl, they must find a way to get their TV signal back in less than an hour...or miss the big game"
Here, the viewer thinks "okay, so the premise is that they want to watch something important live but can't unless this antenna thing is fixed in less than an hour. Got it"
It's not that fucking hard.
>>
>>64427098
>>64427077
>>64427086

We are not millennials, this is the whole point of the thread. You think a 14 year old today cares about this?
>>
>>64427031
I don't give a shit about you RIGHT NOW.
>>
>>64427076
It wont hold up. Remeber that line grandpa told homer in the simpsons, because its gonna happen to you to you fucking loser. The fact you dont realize your tastes will be archaic and seen as obvious just shows me you're definitely dumb as shit.
>>
>>64427119
A millenial is anyone 30 or younger.
>>
>>64427119
Why the fuck wouldn't they? Everyday life in the early nineties is no more familiar to me than to them
>>
>>64427123
Then whyd you reply ;)
>>
>>64427106
Not really. Maybe it's just you? I have more problems with movies and tv series using new tech that I'm not familar with, to be honest.
>>
File: image.jpg (46 KB, 532x532) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
46 KB, 532x532
A lot of kids are stupid.
I substituted before and had high school students write papers like they were texting. I also ran into multiple students who couldn't fucking read a clock! If cell phones destroyed their writing and their ability to learn how to read a non digital clock they will not get Seinfeld.
>>
>>64427031
>They literally get lost because they cant organize because they cant communicate.
Bad communication still exists, isn't that relatable?

>No one will give a shit about this episode in 100 years.
Just like people don't give a shit about the gags Charlie Chaplin or Buster Keaton, right? Because you know, your average joe doesn't work into a factory anymore and almost every piece of technology found in their movies are beyond obsolete.

Stop talking out of the ass, technology is only used as a plot device in much of fiction. George's voicemail gag isn't about the machine itself, it's about how he acts. The parking garage episode isn't about the car itself but about the stupid shit the group does while searching for it.
>>
>we're old start liking things we like the thread

c'mon guys
>>
>>64427193
>I taught black kids and they were dumb!
What a surprise
>>
>>64427135
There is a difference between tastes changing and newer generations literally not being able to understand outdated situations.

I've never seen a telegram in real life. But I'm able to watch and laugh at looney tunes when they do the telegram gag.
>>
>All four of their cellphones are dead

THERE PROBLEM SOLVED
>>
>>64427119
They do. I have millennial family members, and they're not dumb. They get that things were different before. It's not hard.

Stop haning out with moronic idiots half your age, maybe? Or maybe they're just making fun of you by getting you worked up about this shit?
>>
>>64427196
I never understood why one of them just didn't make a fire in a metallic trash bin like a homo and make smoke signals to contact the other members of their crew party.
>>
>>64427156
I care about myself. My posts are awesome!
>>
>>64427218
No one is making that arguemnt, the subject matter will carry over but the show itself is froz3n in the 90s. People arent going to have seinfeld as their 10 best sitcoms for the rest of eternity. Seinfeld isnt that great, no one is gonna give a shit about it in 100 years.
>>
I'm 21 and Iove Seinfeld, started watching it when I was 15-16 or so. It's great and most of the jokes aren't dated.
Maybe it won't appeal to an audience 30 years from now, who knows. Most tv shows don't. I know lots of people my age who like both Seinfeld and Friends though.
>>
>>64427218
The problem is that that other poster is autistic. He literally can't understand shit like that and he can't understand that other people don't think the same way he does.
>>
>>64423386
ITT: people that fails to explain/understand suspension of disbelief
>>
>>64427233
homos do that?
>>
>>64427281
You're mentioned 100 years twice now. Repetition is a sign of Autism.
>>
>>64427281
>no one is making that argument
The OP is literally talking about how people won't understand Seinfeld's scenarios because they're outdated. This is utter bullshit.

They might not like them because of a difference in style, but that's a different issue. I don't like most movies from the 1950s. It's not because I can't relate to their content.
>>
>>64423487
Like >>64423996 said. You're underestimating the ignorance and total lack of understanding of time and history among people born after 1992. Trust me, I've been a techer for people born 1996 and they thought the movie Titanic was an "old" movie from "like the 80's or something" and that it was in black and white. They think that everything that is trending on youtube is new just because they haven't seen it before. They though that Scatman John video from like 96 was new just because it was popular on youtube. They couldnt even tell by the look of the video that it was not from the present day. I'm guessing they would think Seinfeld is taking place in present day too if they're watching it.
>>
File: Ane%20rieur%20(1).jpg (23 KB, 540x360) Image search: [Google]
Ane%20rieur%20(1).jpg
23 KB, 540x360
>>64427370
>I've been a techer
>>
>>64423386
You're not a young audience, obviously, because you didn't grow up in a time when cellphones were already as ubiquitous as they are now. How can you not get this? Sure the author's an idiot, but you manage to outshine him.
>>
>>64427342
No one actually believes that you idiot. Looks at all genres of film and tv, and all of them that exsist without cell phones. Game of thrones isnt relatable to people because it doesnt have callphones said no one ever. The show wont last because its not that good and no one will give a shit about it.
>>
>>64427370
There's a few black and white Titanic movies. There was also at least one made in the 80s. They obviously know more than you do about shit.

Techer indeed!
>>
>>64427447
>no one actually believes that

This thread begs to differ
>>
>>64427426
*teacher
My fingers are buttery 2bh family.
>>
>>64427370
It's like they're unfamiliar with those things because they were one when those were relevant!
>>
>>64427468
Wow, you're totally obsessed with my typo. Repeating things is a sign of autism. Also, english is not my main language. And they were talking about the one with Leonardo Dicaprio.
>>
>>64423996
le kids these days amiright? xDD
>>
>>64427196
Yes because those things arent insanely ninche. Stop cherry picking reality, you are wrong. Charlie chaplin is known as a historical figure and has significance because of it. Now of you can name three of his movies 2ithout google ill shutmup. Faggot.
>>
>>64427519
Does not excuse anything though. I can only speak for myself of course but when I was a kid I could easily see what was from the 70's, what was from the 80's etc. I'm pretty confident in saying that most people born in the 80's were much more aware of time and history than today's youth.
>>
File: Green Day's first album.jpg (101 KB, 953x953) Image search: [Google]
Green Day's first album.jpg
101 KB, 953x953
>>64427370
>1996 master race reporting in

I'm sick of you oldfags using the term "are you born in the 90's or something?" when someone asks something stupid on 4chan. Being born in the 90's doesnt mean you're
automatically stupid.

And stop saying that people born in the 90's just leeches on your nostalgia, that we have nothing that is unique for our generation in pop culture. We 90's kids have plenty of own nostalgia like Pokemon, TMNT, Sonic, Green Day, N64, Harry Potter and LOTR just to name a few. And don't forget Youtube, we practically invented that shit.

And another thing, stop using the term "edgy teens". If you oldfags can't deal with our swag that's your problem. Fucking 30 year old cuck moralfags! You just jelly!
>>
>>64426491
It was garbage. George ate garbage.
>>
>>64427556
Not him, but it's fucking easy.
Modern Times
Gold Rush
City Lights
>>
>>64427610
Fuck off to /b/ with that pasta.
>>
>implying younger generations even watch TV/re-runs anymore
>>
>>64427708
they watch netflix and listen to the rap music
>>
>>64427674
Please, youre the exception and you know it. Also you're probably a loser and shold be ashamed you know anything about chaplin. Also buster is undisputed king ofmsilent films fsggot.q
>>
>>64427747
>Netflix

I'm pretty sure they just keep it on for background noise.
>>
>>64427747
No. That's the 20-something. The younger kids listen to their hippy hoppity techno beats and watch cat videos on their phones.
>>
>>64423527
>moments when jerry is clearly laughing at kramer
>implying these aren't the reason you watch the show
>>
>>64427556
I didn't talk about how recognizable their titles were, but about how fun they are to watch. And they are all funny, despite the century of tech differences.
>>
>>64427751
Buster? Fucking you! The King is KING BAGGOT.

And if you couldn't name 3 Chaplin movies, you don't belong here. That's a fact.
>>
>>64424016
they aren't bright. they're just knowledgable. seinfeld is a bona fide idiot test.
>>
>>64423745
capitalism is the erasure of the past
>>
>>64427826
>And if you couldn't name 3 Chaplin movies, you don't belong here. That's a fact.

This.
>>
>>64427825
Please end your bullshit. Out wih the old, in with the new. Seinfeld will envitably irrelevant and something grandpa watched pre internet. It does not have the staying power to be appreciated endlessly regardless how separate itmis from modern day culture. Youre fighting the inevitable decline into obscurity all things experience. Grow up.q
>>
>>64427751
You'r elike a bully who gets beaten up by a nerd and complain that you could totally have taken him if he didn't use both hands.

You asked 3 movies. I gave them to you. You attacked me personally for it. You're a sore loser.
>>
>>64425566
>mfw Kirk Cameron turned her from a super hot starlet to a fellow Jesus freak.

She won't even take a role that requires her to kiss a man now
>>
>>64427914
What, i asked a different guy? You even said you werent the guy when you posted. Eat ass.
>>
>>64427994
Sore. Loser.

>b-but-but IT DOESN'T COUNT WHAAAAA!!!!
>>
>>64428071
I asked someone else a question. You knowing the awnser, awnsered. The deal was with him, not you chaplin fag
>>
>>64428100
>IT DOESN'T COUNT IT DOESN'T COUNT IT DOESN'T COUNT
>>
>>64428100
>>>/out/
>>
>>64428145
Ahabh goodnight faggot
>>
>>64428166
>I-I won, right? R-right...?
>>
>>64423386
27 here, grew up watching Seinfeld and still love it to death. My younger brothers (23.18) love it too, and I hear that even younger kids watch it.

The humor is almost always timeless, because it's tied to people being assholes.
>>
>>64423996
>>64424221

Average IQ is rising oldtimers. You're either overestimating your own intellect at a younger age or just a fucking sheltered imbecile. I teach too, adolescents mostly, they are in fact way smarter than I was (and most were) in the 90's. Not to say there aren't ridiculous trends and retarded shit like asPiewpie or that I don't feel a lot of popular music is complete fucking shit - it's that this was the same when I was young with fucking skateboarding/linkin park/other retarded shit.

You faggots forget how much of a faggot you all were when younger.
>>
>>64426729
>criticizing concepts when its the execution that matters more
I hope you don't plan on writing, because you'd be shit at it
>>
>>64428100
You think that knowing 3 Chaplin titles is something special. On /tv/.

You're out of your figgin' gourd!
>>
Born in 1990 (as in 90, not THE 90s) and I watched Seinfeld in the 2000s, since I'm not 'murrican and again last year and don't think it was all that dated. Had a gf who was 3 years older than me and she didnt like it, so it isn't a generation thing. Also, why are people born in the 90s all grouped up? I have nothing in common with16 y.o. Not even with fucking 18 y.o. kids (college, Masters' degree, so there was a lot of contact with people off different ages, plus the the younger and older chicks I'd bang/meet on parties or train).
>>
>>64426584

I really want the "relatability" meme to die. Relatability is just one dimension of humor. There is still the absurd, character humor, and wordplay humor in seinfeld.
>>
>>64425511
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8z75GvWw1lo
No contest
>>
>>64424122
Bernie doesn't have an understanding of fundamental economic principles. He relies on feelings. His followers are completely taken in by this and are, as such, complete fucking idiots.

I'll trust the winner instead. Faggot.
>>
>>64429062
>how's your life?

10/10 line
>>
>>64429144
>fundamental economic principles
nobody in politics does
>>
>>64423527

acting? what acting? its a sitcom
>>
>>64429895
I wish they would make a sitcom with people off the street with no experience in acting and not do any retakes.
>>
that's so stupid

i'm 19 and watched all of seinfeld 3 years ago when i was 16 and loved it
>>
>>64423386
The show will not pass the test of time because it's a mere sitcom. Maybe the most polished sitcom ever, but a sitcom nevertheless.

The Simpsons was only a sitcom in a very loose way. It did many thing no other show has attempted to do, and it's still damn funny. Seinfeld has a self-imposed very limited horizon sight, it takes forever to develop each plot point, and it's nowhere as creative and original and fresh.
>>
this show is old as fuck no wonder i never seen it before
>>
>>64426922

>He doesn't rip movies to laserdisc

Holy shit what a pleb
>>
>>64427826

the immigrant
duck soup
the great train robbery
>>
>>64425511
The girl who got her car dented by some guy and jerry wants to pay for it.
>>
when ever i watch the andy griffin show i always wonder why he doesnt take out his ipod mini instead of whistling.
>>
I bet this retard hates everything not from michel bay
Fucking plebians
>>
File: rava s02e06.png (719 KB, 809x455) Image search: [Google]
rava s02e06.png
719 KB, 809x455
>>64425511
>>
>>64426491
>>64426580
>>64427668

It was garbage. Not only do you not know how long it's been there, you don't know why it was thrown out. You have to assume something is wrong with it. If there wasnt anything wrong with it when it went in, theres definitely something wrong with it now as its been sitting in a far hot box for who know how long. Had it been his eclair in his bin, itd be a different story.

Now, there really is nothing wrong with that, though. If he knew all the risks going in and still went for it, who fucking cares. He assessed the risk and decided it was worth it. He should have just owned up and laughed at them for caring.
>>
File: marla.png (277 KB, 637x750) Image search: [Google]
marla.png
277 KB, 637x750
>>64425511
The Virgin
>>
>>64435399

>Liking Daphne Moon

m8 I'm from England and I wouldn't bang that
>>
>>64429219
Yeah, but Trump isn't a politician. He's a businessman. And a pretty god damned successful one at that.
>>
>>64423386
>I'm 29 and grew up watching Seinfeld
get back to the youtube comment sections were you belong to
>>
File: kramer.gif (2 MB, 220x165) Image search: [Google]
kramer.gif
2 MB, 220x165
>>64423386
m8 i'm 26 and most people my age don't even know what the fuck seinfeld is. granted, i live in europe but still.

it's popular among 40-50 year old's for the most part. i once saw a guy in his late 30s who had a vandelay industries t-shirt on.
>>
>>64436308

Spot the 15 year old trying to fit in.
>>
>>64423386
>implying you can even get reception in a parking garage
>>
>>64423386

Why the fuck wouldn't they just use the PrKr.io app to find their car? This show is so lame.
>>
I'm 19, I started watching Seinfeld a year ago and I thought it was hilarious. Maybe I'm just autistic.
>>
>future audiences will never understand Shakespeare because they won't understand a time when cars and planes didn't exist

Most retarded thing I've ever heard
>>
>>64423738
Same here. I essentially watched that show daily with my uncle and grandma
>>
>>64436362
underage the fuck out
>>
>>64436529

Shakespeare is garbage tier anyway.
>>
>>64436640
I know, omg why don't they just use phones
>>
>>64436640

I feel like this post should be the banner for /tv/, along with a picture of some pre-teen actress
>>
>>64436640

His prequels were better
>>
File: 1310671996285.jpg (10 KB, 297x275) Image search: [Google]
1310671996285.jpg
10 KB, 297x275
>>64436815
>>
>>64425441
>without protests day and night around the studio.
Hell, people protested then about some of the shit they said on that show
>>
>I can't understand a situation because things are different now
>I can't relate to it

>I can't empathize with characters unless they look like me
>I just can't relate to it

millennials are faggots
>>
>>64424122
Hello Reddit!
>>
>George had a different girlfriend every week
>I've never had one ever despite being fit with a full head of hair
>>
>>64426729

This is a stupid argument. If this was true, then any piece of narrative fiction taking place in any time or place other than the viewer's present would not be enjoyable to the viewer.
>>
File: 1449858578337.jpg (508 KB, 1024x1672) Image search: [Google]
1449858578337.jpg
508 KB, 1024x1672
>>64424122
>reddit making fun of how attractive and blonde Trump voters are
>Bernie voters are literally tards
Loving
Every
Laugh
>>
Why is everyone fighting with each other? We are all roughly the same age early 20s, so of course we find this stupid, but 15 year old millenials wont even understand shows like Seinfeld.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 27

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.