[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
George Martin vs. George Lucas
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 11
File: 1345658134.jpg (140 KB, 494x502) Image search: [Google]
1345658134.jpg
140 KB, 494x502
Who is the bigger hack?
>>
Lucas at least finished his work
>>
George
>>
What does "hack" mean?
>>
Lucas isn't a hack though.
>>
File: image.jpg (35 KB, 251x242) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
35 KB, 251x242
>>64417388
I see what u did there
>>
>>64417385
this, grrm will never finish the books
>>
>>64417399
hack
a person who is a professional at doing some sort of service, but does crappy work.
man, that tattoo shop is full of hacks.

kyle from scv is a hack at installing stereo equipment.
by wastinmoola January 24, 2004
>>
>>64417352

Martin - too much incest and not enough dragons.

Lucas - good world-building but shit dialogue.
>>
>>64417352
daw he is carrying grrm's drink for him, they are fans of starbucks I see
>>
>>64417656
no he's just double fisting
>>
>>64417465
who the fuck is wastinmoola
>>
File: 1395338974339.jpg (155 KB, 1361x877) Image search: [Google]
1395338974339.jpg
155 KB, 1361x877
Martin Hands down - by lightyears.

Lucas has lost his touch a a writer and director, but look what he's actually accomplished. Without Lucas there would be no Pixar, and the special effects would be.......................fuck I don't even know. Quick example is watch the movie Logan's Run. As you look at the special effects of that movie keep in mind that was release just one year before Star Wars.

GRRM will only be known for not finishing a fantasy series where people unexpectedly die.
>>
File: analog_7507.jpg (60 KB, 390x562) Image search: [Google]
analog_7507.jpg
60 KB, 390x562
Fun fact: Wookies were based on creatures from one of Martin's sci-fi stories from the 70s "And Seven Times Never Kill Man." Lucas combined them with his ideas for the Apocalypse Now movie he abandoned- which he was going to direct in a faux-documentary style ala THX-1138, produced by Francis Ford Copolla for Zoetrope Studios. Then the wookies were changed to Ewoks for the third "act" of his trilogy, but his original draft for "The Star Wars" explicitly compared them to VC. It was heavily influenced by Vietnam, as were the creatues from George RR Martin's thousand worlds universe. Lucas folded his ideas for he and John Milius's version of Apocalypse Now into Star Wars after Zoetrope folded, and Francis rewrote Milius's script when he decided to make Apocalypse Now himself.

Fun fact: George RR Martin isn't that enamored of Star Wars:

>""I keep seeing people calling STAR WARS "the best science fiction film of all time." Uh… really? I don't think so. The original STAR WARS was a good movie, and EMPIRE STRIKES BACK was even better (Leigh Brackett wrote that one, so there's good reason), but RETURN OF THE JEDI went downhill, and you really don't want to get me started about those three wretched prequels. Even the original triad hasn't aged as gracefully as one might have hoped. It has become apparent that much of the charm of the first movie came from the novelty of seeing favourite tropes from classic SF books realised on the screen for the first time… but that charm wears off on repeated viewings, and once it does you realise that neither the story is, well… not all that it could have been. You also realise how much retrofitting and backfill has gone on since the movie's first release. I don't care what Lucas says, I will never believe that Darth was meant to [be] Luke's father from the outset, or that the romantic pairing was always supposed to be Leia and Han (it is plainly Luke and Leia)… and damn it, Han shoots first!"
>>
>>64417748
That isn't fact, that's gross speculation and original research.

Fun fact: the GRRM quote has nothing to do with anything else in the post. Go fuck yourself.
>>
>>64417748
Deepest lore
>>
>>64417685
>Has released more books while dead than GRRM

my sides.
>>
>>64417352
they're both big for sure.
>>
>>64417748
Fun fact: the heavy politics emphasis of 1996's A Game Of Thrones heavily influenced Lucas's writing of the prequels, especially The Phantom Menace- and both were also heavily influenced by the politics of Dune.

So this question is really moot. George RR Martin's storytelling DESTROYS Lucas- Lucas has been ripping off George RR Martin for 40 years, and Martin is much more advanced as a fantasy and science fiction writer than Lucas. But that isn't completely shitting on Lucas, it's just his storytelling for Star Wars is BY DESIGN primitive and simplistic and Martin's is advanced and complex. Star Wars is science fantasy in the style of a children's space opera serial from the 30s- groundbreaking and advanced execution for the time, yes, but in terms of plotting, it's incredibly simplistic on purpose. Lucas is not interested in advancing story telling from a literary or theatrical place on film- Lucas wants to transcend storytelling and movie cinema beyond that. He doesn't want to do Game Of Thrones and break narrative tropes, he wants to break editing and technical and visual tropes- koyaanasqatsi, man with a movie camera, thx-1138, the french new wave, man ray, cosntructivism. Lucas is an abstract guy, whereas Martin is relatively traditional.
>>
>>64417778
Literally nothing in that post is speculation or original research, it's all been admitted by the participants. Go ahead, which part is wrong, I have quotes and citations for every part of that.
>>
there are heroes on both sides
>>
File: 1304769617889.jpg (45 KB, 416x480) Image search: [Google]
1304769617889.jpg
45 KB, 416x480
martin no question

Lucas has achieved so much more it's ridiculous to compare them really.
>>
>>64417933
Please provide all quotes and citations for every part of the entire post.

If you do and it checks out, I will eat my hat on twitch.
>>
Lucas gets way to much credit for shit he didn't do
at least Martin did his own shit even it is Dany shitting herself
>>
>>64418024
When will this "Lucas actually didn't do anything" meme end? Watch documentaries of the making of the OT, Lucas didn't do everything himself no, but he was still the biggest part in it, he revolutionized everything about movies
>>
>>64417352

Both were cucked by younger Jews, Martin by twice as many.
>>
>>64417874
>Fun fact: the heavy politics emphasis of 1996's A Game Of Thrones heavily influenced Lucas's writing of the prequels, especially The Phantom Menace- and both were also heavily influenced by the politics of Dune.

Sauce on the part about AGOT? The Dune influence is well documented.
>>
File: cV08Jww.jpg (53 KB, 636x365) Image search: [Google]
cV08Jww.jpg
53 KB, 636x365
>>64417982
Ok, here it is, quote by quote:

>Fun fact: Wookies were based on creatures from one of Martin's sci-fi stories from the 70s "And Seven Times Never Kill Man."

http://awdsgn.com/classes/fall09/webI/student/trad_mw/mcnamara/rmq/pages/interview.html

>"George said he wanted Chewbacca to look like a lemur, so he had great big limpid eyes in some of my early sketches," McQuarrie says. "George also gave me a drawing he liked from a 1930s illustrator of science fiction that showed a big, apelike, furry beast with a row of female breasts down its chest. So I took the breasts off and added a bandolier and ammunition and weapons, and changed its face so it looked somewhat more like the final character, and I left it at that."

Lucas was either lying or thought this was from the 30s, or maybe Ralph misremembered.

Here is the first paragraph of the story:

>Outside the walls the Jaenshi children hung, a row of small gray-furred bodies still and motionless at the ends of long ropes. The oldest among them, obviously, had been slaughtered before hanging; here a headless male swung upside down, the noose around the feet, while there dangled the blast-burned carcass of a female. But most of them, the dark hairy infants with the wide golden eyes, most of them had simply been hung. Toward dusk, when the wind came swirling down out of the ragged hills, the bodies of the lighter children would twist at the ends of their ropes and bang against the city walls, as if they were alive and pounding for admission.

So we have a war story from the 70s in which the children of the primitive enemies have been slaughted by the "good guys"- sounds like Vietnam-era cynicism about war to me. It also reminds me of a certain Colonel Kurtz's ravings about VC children having their arms chopped off. "a pile of innoculated arms."
>>
>>64418335
See: http://paperstand.blogspot.ca/2015/12/and-seven-times-never-kill-man.html

>"After someone made the connection between Chewbacca (and subsequent the Ewoks) and the George RR Martin's novella "And Seven Times Never Kill Man," I went back to re-read the story. It became clear that both Georges were metaphorically commenting on the Vietnam War in their depiction of a jungle war, in which the technologically more dominant and more powerful side is defeated by a weaker tribe.

https://drbeat.li/album/B%C3%BCcher/The_Secret_History_of_Star_Wars.pdf

Lucas's ideas for apocalypse now, page 39.

Apocalypse Now and Vietnam's influence on Star Wars, page 59:

>"“A lot of my interest in Apocalypse Now was carried over into Star Wars,” Lucas says. “I figured that I couldn’t make that film because it was about the Vietnam War, so I would essentially deal with some of the same interesting concepts that I was going to use and convert them into space fantasy, so you’d have essentially a large technological empire going after a small group of freedom fighters or human beings."

Lucas's original synopsis for Star Wars mentioning Vietnam: 68-69 - "Valorum like green beret who realizes wrong of empire" - Darth Vader was original called General Valorum, just like how Luke Skywalker was originally called Annikin Starkiller and Ben Kenobi was called Luke Skywalker.
>>
>>64417352
Lucas made a world that's been remembered for decades.
ASOIAF won't be remembered in 30 years
>>
>>64418563
It's already been remembered for over 20 years. It won't be if DnD finish it though.
>>
George Lucas
George Martin
George Romero
George Miller
George Roddenberry

Who is the most visionary George? Each redefined a genre.
>>
>>64419665
George Clooney
>>
>>64417874
>>64417748
kek Lucas has never read a book in his life

He's a car nerd that can barely be asked to write his own scripts much less read real sci fi. No fucking way was he paying attention to GRRM in the 70s. The only sci fi ideas he ever had in his head came from Flash Gordon.
>>
Costanza.
>>
>>64419665
Costanza.
>>
File: 1435194952533.gif (885 KB, 500x418) Image search: [Google]
1435194952533.gif
885 KB, 500x418
>>64419665
>>
>>64419665
Costanza
>>
Lucas is a much bigger hack. GRRM is an accomplished author with a number of different highly praised works under his belt, not simply from different settings but in different genres. Lucas got lucky with one pastiche setting and had zero motivation to create anything since.
>>
>>64420193
fag
>>
martin easily.

theyre both disgusting manlets though
>>
>>64419998
>>64420022
>>64420137
>>64420174
Costanza did dramatically influence 4chan culture. In the early days, using greentexting for anything but literal quotation was frowned upon. Constanza's sneering face was often paired with the >implying meme, which had also been recently popularized. These meme's synergized, resulting in their mutual survival. The >implying meme allows for paraphrasing user posts, rather than verbatum repetition. From that point, greentexting evolved to meaning a wide variety of things, resulting in quotation becoming a small fraction of its actual uses.

Costanza revolutionized shitposting.
>>
>>64419997
>kek Lucas has never read a book in his life
He read plenty....unfortunately mostly 30's and 40's pulp.
>>
>>64420224
>manlet
Martin easily tops 6 foot 3....when he's on his back.
>>
>>64420224

wtf does their height have to do with anything??
>>
File: hotel of justland.png (2 MB, 1366x772) Image search: [Google]
hotel of justland.png
2 MB, 1366x772
>gurm always wanted to write for the screen
>lucas always wanted to showcase his admiration of the scifi novels of his youth

POTTERY
O
T
T
E
R
Y
>>
>>64417516
under rated post
>>
>>64417685
>Actually finished his magnum opus

Do you mean LoTR?

Because he never finished the Silmarillion. His son had to fill in the gaps.
>>
george isnt a hack reddipleb but you tried
>>
File: ishygdct.png (2 KB, 295x295) Image search: [Google]
ishygdct.png
2 KB, 295x295
>>64420227
>recently popularized
>>
>>64421079
FYI this QR actually says "I seriously hope you guys don't scan this."
>>
>>64417685
Disneys The Black Hole was the last totally inhouse special effects movie made by any big studio. Its post SW and embarassingly bad in comparison, which is why it bombed. Based story and set design tho.
>>
>>64417352
One's a talentless sell out. The other's George Lucas.
>>
>>64419997
S'ok. His wife who wrote all his shit abd left after Empire had read plenty. Surprised she put up with George's Austistic ADD for as long as she did. His ROTJ was the begining of a long slide into shit. She left and so did the meaning and substance.
>>
groening
>>
>>64417465
Yeah, Kyle is faggot and hack. We all know it.
>>
>>64417685
>>64417352
They've both gone to shit, but it would be more fair to judge them before they became cancer incarnate, so
>grrm: aGoT to aSoS
>GL: aNH to RotJ
I'd say grrm was more consistent but GL had the far biggest impact.
>>
>>64418132
>he revolutionized everything about movies

Wat?? Are you serious?
>>
File: 3kEm5N2.jpg (40 KB, 555x555) Image search: [Google]
3kEm5N2.jpg
40 KB, 555x555
>tfw no gf
>>
the one who is of the jungle
>>
>>64421400
Good to know.
>>
What are some insider stories about George Lucas that show his autism? I can only find the B.J. Dart one but I know there are more.
>>
>>64417352

Lucas made two trilogies, Martin can't even write ONE.
That's why both ASOIAF and the tv show suck cocks beyond season 1/book one - endless and pointless padding, while themes and plots introduced early on got interrupted and don't seem to go anywhere.
And the fat fuck will eat himself to death before he manages to wrap the story up.
>>
>>64421810
She fixed his script to make it less autistic and more meaningful.

She didn't come up with the ideas.
>>
GRRM doesnt even deserve to be compared to Lucas as shameful as that sounds. He's an overrated fat fuck that can't even finish his books and spends all his time blogging about his shitty favorite football team and the only deadline he'll ever meet is an asystole.

A better comparison would be Lucas and Peter Jackson. Started with a great trilogy and then completely shit the bed the second time around.
>>
Lucas directed one good Star Wars movie and three terrible ones. ASOIAF isn't incredible but it is middle of the road fantasy that is pretty comfy to read. Plus GRRM didn't create an interesting universe and then ruin it and fail to understand any of the appeal of it 20 years later.
>>
>>64423625

But jackson did way the fuck more than Lucas in their original trilogies.
>>
George Lucas was great once, but Martin has only ever made garbage.
>>
Why do people insist that George Lucas created the entire OT? He only produced and co-wrote ESB and ROTJ.
The only trilogy when he was fully in charge and can be considered a creator of all the episodes is the Prequel Trilogy. And it's shit.
>>
>>64417516
>too much incest

You say that like it's a problem
>>
>>64417681

kyle's ex boyfriend
>>
FINISH LE BOOKS MARTIN XD
he is not a hack, this meme is needs to die.
>>
>penises
Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.