[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Box Office: 'Star Wars' Rings in Record New Year's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5
https://www.yahoo.com/movies/box-office-star-wars-rings-in-record-new-years-195614446.html

>Breaking yet another record, Star Wars: The Force Awakens scored the top New Year’s Day gross of all time in North America with $34.5 million from 4,134 theaters as it approached the $700 million mark after overtaking both Jurassic World and Titanic, not accounting for inflation.

>Avatar was the previous New Year’s champ with $25.3 million in 2009 (that was the last time the holiday also fell on a Friday). Force Awakens, finishing Friday with a cume of $686.4 million, is only days away from passing up Avatar ($760.8 million) altogether and becoming the top-grossing film of all time domestically, again not accounting for inflation. It should achieve the milestone sometime on Tuesday or Wednesday.

>For New Year’s weekend, Star Wars is expected to earn a massive $90 million-plus, the best showing in history for the holiday weekend and pushing the movie’s North American cume to $742 million through Sunday. On Saturday, the Disney and Lucasfilm blockbuster leapt past Jurassic World ($652.3 million) and Titanic ($658.7 million) to become the No. 2 title of all time domestically.

>Worldwide, Force Awakens finished Friday with a mammoth total of $1.39 billion — including $704.2 million internationally — as it overtook the final Harry Potter film ($1.34 billion) to become the No. 7 top-grossing title of all time. On Saturday, it will eclipse Avengers: Age of Ultron ($1.41 billion) to claim the No. 6 spot.

>The U.K. leads overseas with $133.5 million, one of the best showings of all time, followed by Germany ($73.9 million), France ($61.4 million), Australia ($47.1 million), Japan ($46.1 million), Spain ($24.7 million), Italy ($23.3 million) and Mexico (23.1 million). It’s not seeing the same big numbers in some parts of Asia, such as South Korea ($21.8 million). However, Force Awakens is counting on being a huge player in China, where it rolls out Jan. 9.
>>
reeee but i dislike film for [arbitrary reasons involving white male insecurities], reee it's not going to do well in china ree
>>
inflation will do that
>>
File: tumblr_m7h6siPvqN1qao508.jpg (54 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m7h6siPvqN1qao508.jpg
54 KB, 500x375
>>64404988
>still hasn't been released in China
O LAWD
>>
>>64405091
>black lead
>good on china
Choose one and only one.
>>
>>64405146
>>>/pol/
>>
it'll sit comfortably inbetween titanic and avatar but go no further
>>
>>64405146
>they loved "minorities and furious 7"
>>
>>64405146
t. Someone who knows nothing about China
>>
i this to do poorly in china
i NEED it
if i don't have this i'll have NOTHING
as a lonely bitter permavirgin manchild the thought that this space fantasy action flick might sell slightly fewer tickets than a furry fantasy action flick in an irrelevant asian country we make fun of daily is the ONLY thing keeping me off suicide watch
>>
>>64405340
someone that thinks they know china
>>
Don't worry Avatar 2 will make 4 Billion Dollars.

I believe in JC, he will save us from Capeshit and Star Bores.
>>
>>64405413
>china
>irrelevant

wew lad, best kill yourself right now and rid the world of your stupidity
>>
File: 1362723804571.gif (1 MB, 276x232) Image search: [Google]
1362723804571.gif
1 MB, 276x232
>it's a HAY GUYS STAR WAS JUST MADE A BUNCH OF MUNNY EXACTLY AS PROJECTED BECAUSE THEY LITERALLY SPENT UNTOLD AMOUNTS ON ADVERTISING AND PAID REVIEWS thread
>>
File: JC.jpg (217 KB, 948x1024) Image search: [Google]
JC.jpg
217 KB, 948x1024
>>64405483
In JC we trust.
>>
File: 1424835206552.png (405 KB, 500x397) Image search: [Google]
1424835206552.png
405 KB, 500x397
>Easily digestible movie which takes no risks breaks all the box office records

God damnit, better expect Episodes VIII & IX to be super shallow and just copy the original trilogy again.

Everybody is just going to follow the Jurassic World method now of just making everything as simple as possible to pandor to international audiences.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.