[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why did this get such bad reviews? It's not amazing, but
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 7
File: knight-of-cups-poster.jpg (693 KB, 1280x1810) Image search: [Google]
knight-of-cups-poster.jpg
693 KB, 1280x1810
Why did this get such bad reviews? It's not amazing, but it's pretty good. Feels like Tarkovsky.
>>
But Malick's style is almost the opposite of Tarkovsky's
>>
>>64397008
How so?
>>
>>64397080
Tarkovsky favored static slow takes with minimal editing and spoken dialogue
Malick (neo-Malick) favors dynamic moving camerawork with heavy montage and voiceovers
>>
its great if you like self indulgent perfume commercials with no semblance of character development, plot, or meaningful moments. it's literally pretty shots: the film. you can call me a pleb all you want but the true pleb is the one who watches this and pretends to see any artistic value outside of great cinematography.
>>
>>64396919
what does the name mean?
>>
>ok Christian, just walk behind her slowly and never say anything
>try to look forlorn and alienated

FOR TWO HOURS
>>
>>64396919
>Feels like Tarkovsky
haha what?
>>
>>64397302
Bale gets a Tarot card reading early on in the movie and they pull a Knight of Cups card which makes him rethink all the relationships he's been through up until now.
>>
>>64397271

T H I S
B
H
>>
>>64396919
I've already seen Tree of life.
>>
>>64397271
>I can't relate to anything the film is about so let me tell how you should have felt about it
>>
>>64397271
The title cards were pretty bad. But other than that, I thought it was a pretty good meditation on the haze of being alone and lost.
>>
'Critics' in general pan and hate anything new any artist (in music, movies) puts out for some reason - most of the time you can see their reasoning is roughly 'This did not apply to my entitled expectations - the movie is bad' or 'I did not like it = movie was bad'.
>>
>>64397632
To add they often rate what should be and what is not instead of what is.

Just ignore all the critics and follow the film makers and writers that you deem interesting.

Critics are plebs
>>
I felt like it needed a main female character, someone like mommy or Pocahontas or Olga.
>>
>>64397271
>character development, plot,
Go read a book.
>>
Would you suck Natalie Portman's ugly manfeet?
>>
>>64398188
>Natalie Portman
Her name is Hershlag
>>
File: 1451465297233.jpg (553 KB, 960x1440) Image search: [Google]
1451465297233.jpg
553 KB, 960x1440
Can someone greentext the plot please? I'm having a hell of a time trying to find a synopsis online.
>>
Reviewers that count will get it. I expect Brody to love it.
>>
>>64398277
>plot

lmao
>>
>>64398277
>greentext the plot please?

Man lost in a world of excess and vice realizes he's lost in a world of excess and vice. FIN

9.5/10 tbvh
>>
Look up the berlin press conference were two journalists claim to be fans of malick and love his films yet are too stupid to know what he looks like and realize he isn't at the press conference

And then realize these are the people reviewing movies today
>>
>>64398652

pretty much this

>expecting contemporary entertainment media to appreciate genuine art

http://www.tmz.com/2012/06/13/terrence-malick-benicio-del-toro-video-director/
>>
>>64398652
Also realize that most critics review a shitty fucking aXXo rip of the movie on a fucking laptop.
>>
>>64398277
What I understood was
>there's a dead brother
>he had a divorce
>there's an indian woman
>a stripper
>and nat-ta-lee portman
>it's about relationships(?)
>>
>>64398911
>implying the plot matters

just let it take you for a ride marone
>>
>>64398277
"The Pilgrim's Progress from this world to that which is to come, delivered under the similitude of a dream, wherein is discovered the manner of his setting out, his dangerous journey, and safe arrival at the desired country . . . As I walked through the wilderness of this world, I lighted on a certain place where was a den, and laid me down in that place to sleep; and as I slept, I dreamed a dream...I saw a man clothed with rags, standing in a certain place, with his face from his own house, a book in his hand, and a great burden upon his back."

"Remember the story I used to tell you when you were a boy? About a young Prince, a knight sent by his father, the King of the East, west into Egypt to find a pearl. A pearl from the depths of the sea. But when the Prince arrived, the people poured him a cup that took away his memory. He forgot he was the son of the King. Forgot about the pearl. And fell into a deep sleep. The King didn't forget his son. He continued to send word, messengers, guides. But the Prince slept on."
>>
>>64398277
>le satirical take on Jacob Boehme and his concept of how we must go through hell first, and then reach heaven
>>
>>64396919
I haven't even seen it and I know you're full of shit.
You don't understand Tark the shark at all, faggot.
>>
I thought it was excellent, and typical Malick film. I will have to see it a few more times to discern more fully what he was trying to express, however (symbolism and shit isn't my strong suite).

The existentialist crises he character feels (and most people, I assume, that is how I related to the character as at least) was excellently depicted.

Some stuff I do not understand yet, such as the angle of the mother and the girl shown in the beginning with the black paint on her body and eye mask.

Also, I'm really high on drugs right now.
>>
>Lubezki go out there with Christian and take some cool looking shots. Script? LMAO don't worry we'll fix it with voice overs in editing.
>>
>>64402914
>and the girl shown in the beginning with the black paint on her body and eye mask.

supposed to be a dream-like (nightmareish?) representation of the nature of bale's sleep. his whole life is just one beguiling beautiful woman after another. notice the focus on the eyes, it is the eyes that haunt the most.
>>
File: 1386715173929.jpg (18 KB, 307x232) Image search: [Google]
1386715173929.jpg
18 KB, 307x232
>>64397220
>heavy montage
>>
>>64404180
Thank you.

Do you have an idea on what the "cup that took away his memory" was supposed to be? I take it to be hedonistic tendencies (party, girls, etc)..
>>
critics aren't stupid, they are being paid to shill for the status quo. they are just a symptom of the very death of art, culture and cinema.

knight of cups is a goat masterpiece
>>
>>64404180
>s, it is the eyes that haunt the most.
kikety kek bet you wrtote this seriously in your great neckbearndess
>>
>>64404352
literally alcohol, but yeah the glamour of hedonism pretty much.

he's supposed to travel east, the direction the sun rises, ie the solar principle, the luminous, perfect nature of the true self. the self that doesn't need to be completed by anything outside of itself. that's why i loved the strip club scene so much, the stripper was literally doling out ancient wisdom when she was telling him it's all in his head and his mind makes his reality
>>
File: justhackmyshitup.jpg (31 KB, 544x360) Image search: [Google]
justhackmyshitup.jpg
31 KB, 544x360
>Okay Christian I want you to wander around aimlessly here. What's your motivation? Pretend you are in an expensive cologne commercial and Sigur Rós is playing in the background.
>>
>>64404389
women with striking eyes are everywhere in this film.
>>
>>64398188
>>
Eh this movie didn't work for me.
>>
File: malick.jpg (206 KB, 670x377) Image search: [Google]
malick.jpg
206 KB, 670x377
>Lubezki there are too many shots of characters and emotions going on in this scene. Can you scrap this and just take a cab around LA and just shoot roads and skyscrapers.
>>
Critics are literally Star Wars fans.
>>
>>64404821
>waahh mommy why is the movie not like other movies waahh
>>
>>64404541
How do I become like you, to be able to see all this shit so clearly? You decipher this on your own or you read knight of cups posts by other smart people?
>>
>>64404875
>>64404875
Don't be a stupid fucking idiot. Good god, did you drop out of high school if Terry's in your face allegories and symbolism is too much for you?
>>
>>64404875
On my own but it really isn't that hard if you know your philosophy and mysticism.
>>
>>64402914
>such as the angle of the mother
?
>>
>>64404875

Read some philosphy
>>
>>64405370
There are scenes that, at least to me, seems to highlight his relationship with his mother and her role in the family.
>>
>>64397563
>The title cards were pretty bad.
They were pretty informative on what the characters/situations were meant to be and tied to the tarot concept, despite not clearly following the usual tarot interpretation. I liked that because Malick is saying that even tarot is hokum and you should come to your own conclusion.
>>
>>64404872
You think there are no other movies with highways and skyscrapers?
>>
>Feels like Tarkovsky
How's so? Malick can't hold a single shot more than ten seconds
>>
>>64405474
I don't remember any specific scenes that explicitly singled out any mother figure. Also, Malick already dealt with his feelings for his mother in Tree of Life (his mother died in 2011, the same year ToL was released) while Knight of Cups was his way of trying to understand and depict his own father (who died in 2013). It's interesting as to whether his next music movie will also be semi-autobiographical or if he's dealt with his personal demons through his films.
>>
>>64396919

I thought it was 10/10.

One of Malick's best, it not the best.

The man is truly a genius.
>>
>>64396919
>Feels like Tarkovsky.

HOLY KEK
>>
>>64397563
>>64405538
Yeah I thought the title cards worked because they let you come up for air and helped guide you along the potentially overwhelming path.
>>
>>64405666
I agree that it was primarily an exploration of his father than his mother, but you are forgetting Natalie Portman.
>>
File: 1366137899510.jpg (285 KB, 675x460) Image search: [Google]
1366137899510.jpg
285 KB, 675x460
>>64405814
Malick impregnated his mother?
>>
U have to be tarded to think it was anythibg like Tark.

What a shit pseudo-patrician
>>
>>64397271
This is a god tier ad t b h

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGs4CjeJiJQ
>>
>>64397271
cinematography has no meaning if it isnt serving one, then its just pictures for sake of picturea.
>>
Where are you guys downloading it from? Is there a ddl link somewhere or are you just using private trackers?
>>
>>64406417
Kickass has a torrent, probably piratebay as well
>>
>>64406417
torrents, is online too
>>
>>64404541
The solar prince represents the grounded, male energies of the soul, the yin to the female's yang.

The feminine in mystery traditions has always represented the world of matter, of form and becoming, and also of dreams and illusions because of how intoxicating form can be. These forces are symbolized by the moon, because in the night is when one is most prone to irrationality and the murky regions of his subconscious.

Remember that eerie 2 minute scene of all those shots of the billboards looming over the streets. Every single one of them featured a female model. They're literally advertising escape, fantasy, the 'lunar' realm of hedonism, which while fun, can warp your mind if you let it
>>
>>64397271
This Anon knows
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.