[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Serious question about this thing.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: starkillercrop.0.0.jpg (98 KB, 1280x854) Image search: [Google]
starkillercrop.0.0.jpg
98 KB, 1280x854
How exactly does this thing work? Does it travel to a star system, drain the local sun, then use the charge to destroy the surrounding planets? Or does it go somewhere random and the weapon beam itself is hyperspace enabled and can reach any planet in the galaxy?

The second one sounds stupid, but wouldn't draining a sun effectively destroy the local star system anyway? As in kill the local planets by destroying the gravitational centre and lightsource of the system. Why do you need to fire the weapon after this? Was this explained better elsewhere?

I loved the movie btw and just got back from my 3rd viewing. The score and this base are the only things that annoy me about it.
>>
>The score and this base are the only things that annoy me about it
A-are you me anon? :3c
Those, too, were my biggest gripes but I can look past em. There are a few even more trivial ones that I can't think of at this moment.

A good question though OP. If you could effectively move the planet anywhere (assuming it could) then you just plop your ass in the system you wish to decimate and then absorb the sun then star system's ded. I suppose it's not as immediate though. It'd take a while for everything to totally chill out, likely enough time to call for help evacuating or what not, and enough power to keep people warm while evac happens. Speculating only.
>>
Considering the first order is completely insane, it might just be a 2-shot weapon. Which is fine if you feel you only actually need 2 shots.
>>
File: Unicronplanet.jpg (45 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
Unicronplanet.jpg
45 KB, 500x333
>>64381267
unicron eats planets to fuel itself
>>
>>64381412
this answers the question perfectly
>>
>>64381267
Jeffery did not care and neither should you.
>>
>>64381402
>we've used up the sun, the Starkiller base is useless now!
>proceed construction of a second Starkiller base!
>>
>>64381394
I'm you from the future bro. Don't get in the black car with Jamie whatever you do.
>>
>>64381267

It's a hyperspace weapon. It eats a small sun then fires a beam through hyperspace.
>>
>>64381402

It did it's job though. They destroyed the main Republic planet along with their fleet.
>>
Anyone who knows shit about astronomy knows that stars have a delicate balance of the immensely powerful forces of super-heated plasma and non-stop nuclear reactions trying to make the stars explode out versus the assive gravity of their masses holding it all together.

And a disruption of that balance would lead to the star either imploding or exploding, and in either scenario it would unleash either a shockwave or go full "nova" with the worst case scenario of it caving in on itself and going black hole; ALL of which would destroy a planet-sized space station like it was nothing. In fact when many stars explode not only do they completely destroy their own solar systems, they destroy the solar systems of any stars up to several dozen light years awaydue to how powerful they are.

It's an incredibly stupid premise.

You don't just drain a star until its lgiht goes out. Disrupt the balance it has, andoit destroys everything
>>
>>64381868

>Anyone who knows shit about astronomy knows that

And anybody who doesn't know shit about astronomy doesn't give a fuck.
>>
File: 1451240766374.jpg (28 KB, 676x142) Image search: [Google]
1451240766374.jpg
28 KB, 676x142
>>64381903
yeah I know

Are you proud of yourself?
>>
>>64381868
>>64381868
>STAR WARS ISNT SCIENTIFICALLY ACCURATE THIS IS SO FAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND GAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>64381868

This is also ignoring the fact that even getting close enough to the star to absorb it would either completely fry the surface of the planet or suck it into the star completely due to its gravity.

Also I'm pretty sure firing the laser would vaporize the atmosphere of the planet, or at the very least completely blind everyone that lives on it.
>>
>>64381868
>implying the base doesn't have anti-black hole technology and sun drain stabilizers...
These prequel fags are really scraping the bottom of the barrel for shit to criticize.
>>
>>64381868
Star Wars is science-fiction fantasy.
You could go on and on all day about how the effects of different magnitudes of gravity and traveling using hyperdrives over light years of distance would completely fuck up the rate at which everyone ages. Point is, all that stuff is moot.
>>
I'm sure in a universe with light sabers and hyperspace technology they have figured out some way to make it work as intended, so ill leave it at that. Its lazy but I'm sure all the writers went over a bunch of different scenarios to the plot that would have satasfied the more hardcore fans but would put everyone else to sleep. The next movie will probably be 100x better. We won't have another deathstar/planet thingy, kylo ren will be stronger, rey will be stronger, phasma will return probably to seek out finn, and finn will probably have a robot spine or space wheelchair.

I'm not even too upset they basically put a third deathstar in the franchise either because we can assume the First Order and Kylo Ren just wanted to do what the empire/vader did. It also serves as some plot device to get the new trilogy rolling which TPM didn't really have at all. Like seriously, what the fuck is the plot to that movie?
>>
>>64382066
Hyperdrives are scientifically plausible.

Look up "wormholes" aka "Einstein-Rosen bridges."

However draining a star without it exploding/imploding once its delicate balance is distupted is pure retardation.
>>
>>64382565
>pure retardation
not really
It happens in some binary stars where matter from one star accretes onto another and literally nothing happens. Mr. Astrophysics above should have known this.

The scenario that tends to crop up is if the matter accretes onto a white dwarf to a point where the white dwarf gets enough mass to go supernova. But that's the white dwarf going supernova and not the star losing mass.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.