[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone else find it funny that the character praised as
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 110
Thread images: 3
File: mad-max-furiosa.jpg (53 KB, 1200x675) Image search: [Google]
mad-max-furiosa.jpg
53 KB, 1200x675
Does anyone else find it funny that the character praised as being a strong female icon is basically just a man?
>>
I mean, right?
>>
I think that's what feminists want, anyways. To be seen as exactly the same as men. Exactly how effective or committed they are to this agenda is another story.
>>
What do you mean just a man? Furiosa is a grill
>>
>>64369128
>>64369178
Simply epic. (':
>>
I think the dea of a strong female is stupid in itself

Women are neither strong nor leaders

Women CAN be strong but 95% aren't and just want to be lead by a competent man
>>
short haired or bald girls are hot as fuck
>>
>>64369197
There's a difference between being seen the same as men, and basically BEING a man. She had short hair and no feminine traits whatsoever.
>>
>>64369197
then why is there a criticism "men with boobs"
>>
>>64369128
If that's what you think OP, then I'm a man too.
>>
>>64369237
Secretly in love with men are we? Short hair is a masculine trait, you're a closeted gay
>>
>>64369128
>just a man
You mean she doesn't fit a female stereotype.
>>
>>64369309
No, she's a short haired person without any feminine traits who saves damsels in distress. She also has no semblance of sexuality. Furiosa is a man.
>>
>>64369308
The Great kings, the Merovingians (mer is root for Meru the Great Pyramid, merman, mermaids, Merlin, etc) were known for there long hair
>>
No dude. No. Shit no. She was a female character in psychology through and through. What did she do in the film? She bought into a retarded idea of a "green place" where amazon females ruled and is a utopia with no real evidence except for what other trapped females made up. She wanted to believe in something so bad that it made her delusionally retarded- a condition that other females in our society suffer from.

When push came to shove and they met up with the sand nymph clan, they made a plan to continue on their retarded plan. But what happened? When a man said "lol no bitch that's retarded, the best place is where you came from" they followed without question. That's because she knew that only a man had enough non-hormonal sense to decide shit for her.

Max made her his bitch, just like men are expected to do in our society. Men are leaders, women are followers. She wasn't a dude with boobs, she was a women with boobs that for some reason is exemplified as "strong female character."

You got it all wrong, OP.
>>
>>64369128
It's a common thing. People like Tina Belcher... even though her character was original written and animated as a boy, and the voice actor didn't change when they made her a girl.
>>
>>64369398
Yes because they were secular heathens without God
>>
>>64369398
based leader hair does not count. spartans had short hair.
>>
>>64369128
What would it take, then, for a female character to be a strong female hero?
>>
>>64369479
For her to act like an actual woman for one thing, understanding that submissiveness to a man in her life is not weakness but a strength
>>
>>64369479
Look at Sarah Connor

She was still a badass but still had feminine traits. She was a mother, fell in love with Kyle Reese, etc.
>>
Why can't we just have good characters and that be it?
Why does everything have to be black and white.
I get that SJW's and whoever bitch and moan but you guys do it to.
>>
>>64369128

I would fuck her, and thats all that really matters.
>>
>>64369128

No, it's just that you associate traits like competence, perseverance, and violence with men.

Because you have been brainwashed by the patriarchy.
>>
>>64369667
False.

Sarah Connor and Ellen Ripley were strong female characters that fit all of those traits and all were far more feminine than Furiosa.
>>
iirc she's supposed to invoke the look and general combat behavior of the war boys because that's the only way she could have survived. Either way, the wives get plenty of feminist praise so that kinda makes up for the fact that Furiosa has made herself practically sexless.
>>
>>64369479
can you name a strong male hero?
>>
>>64369197
Uh, that's the literal definition of equality.
>>
>>64369701

How so?
>>
DAE think this movie was fucking stupid? All I ever see is people praising it, even on /tv/. It was a chore to sit through and I turned it off after an hour.
>>
>>64369769
Equality is a ducking lie

women are not equal to men, and are the 'weaker vessel'
>>
>>64369779
Ellen Ripley had a daughter

Sarah Connor fell in love with Kyle Reese and had strong maternal instincts towards John Connor. She also had a borderline SJW level of hatred for men which sorta made her more interesting and flawed.
>>
>>64369793
Kill yourself, reddit
>>
>>64369854
Are you serious? Reddit creams itself over Fury Road.
>>
>>64369611
>I get that SJW's and whoever bitch and moan but you guys do it to.
we are a reactionary force so the blame is still on them. + we are mostly less idiotic about it
>>64369769
not as it is defined by human rights charter
>>
>>64369128
All I care about is how sweety and greasy her pits got in the desert
>>
>>64369837
Furiosa is entirely driven by a protective urge to get the wives to safety. There are moments in the film where they make life harder for her but she refuses to abandon them. It's pretty damn maternal in a mama bear kind of way.
>>
>>64369875
And how would you know that?
>>
>>64369837

We didn't find out about Ripley's daughter until the sequel. By that logic, Furiosa could have daughter we haven't been introduced to yet.

Same with Sarah Connor. She didn't have a son until the sequel. And as far as falling in love, Furiosa clearly fell in love with Max.
>>
>>64369793
the move is stupid but you are not there for high art, you are there for meme talk,breathtaking booms,nux and guitar guy. basically 6 eps of fist of the north star
>>
File: 1369692678607.jpg (16 KB, 200x303) Image search: [Google]
1369692678607.jpg
16 KB, 200x303
>>64369966
>Furiosa clearly fell in love with Max
>>
>>64369927
kek so all men who save women are maternal?
>>
>>64369998

Let's pretend like she didn't. By that logic, falling in love is a feminine trait.
>>
>>64369957
Implying that half of 4chan doesn't go on reddit
>>
>>64369927
By that logic, saving damels in distress means those men have paternal instincts. There was literally no reason to think she had a maternal relationship with them.

>>64369957
I..uh...a friend told me

>>64369966
Yeah but in Alien 1, Ripley literally was not written as a female. She was written as the surname Ripley and they cast Sigourney Weaver. Furiosa was specifically written to be a woman and they did a poor job.

And did you miss the part where I said Sarah Connor fell in love with Kyle Reese in Terminator 1? Plus Furiosa definitely did not fall in love with Max.
>>
>>64370035
No, but a woman falling engaging in a heterosexual relationship with a man is something common to women, which is why I would think of it as a feminine trait.
>>
>>64370048
>Ripley literally was not written as a female.

I guess then that was a bad example on anon's behalf.
>>
>>64369295
post feet
>>
>>64370048
>nd did you miss the part where I said Sarah Connor fell in love with Kyle Reese in Terminator 1?

No I addressed that.

see
>>64369966
and
>>64370035
>>
That's the point. Her personality isn't defined by her gender. Most male characters are written in this way, which is why you ironically think that she is "basically a man".
>>
>>64370086
>No, but a woman falling engaging in a heterosexual relationship with a man is something common to women

So by your logic, a woman is only feminie in a movie if she is boning a dude?

And you're trying to make the case that you aren't brainwashed by the patriarchy?
>>
>>64370121
I focused on Aliens because that was the movie that actually gave her character depth.

>>64370168
What? No can you even fucking read? I also listed other traits like her having maternal instincts for John Connor. There are other feminine traits than boning a dude, I was just providing an example.

And I can't believe you use "brainwashed by the patriarchy" unironically.
>>
I'm pretty sure judging by her buzzed hair and forehead grease, she's supposed to look and act as much like a dude as possible so she can be respected as a warrior and not get raped to death. She's kind of a foil to the wives in that way, showing the different ways that women survive in that environment. Either blend in with the men or become a breeder.
>>
>>64370145
Nah, I'd probably get banned by the mods
>>
Honestly Furiosa was pretty boring and devoid of much interesting characterization beyond a typical tragic action hero. Each wife showed more dynamic characterization and they mostly did shit in the background or in really short scenes.
>>
>>64370239

>I focused on Aliens

So wait until there are half a dozen Mad Max movies with Furiosa, then you can compare.

>I also listed other traits like her having maternal instincts for John Connor.

Which again didn't show up until the sequel...

You're comparing a character with one movie to characters with half a dozen.
>>
Furiosa's reunion with the gang of biker grannies + wonder woman was a pretty feminine display. There was a tender forehead touch and weird gentle mourning gesture and everything.
>>
>>64370384
No it isn't the same bruh. Furiosa was written to be a female. Ripley was just a name on a page. I compared Fury Road to Aliens because both writers went in knowing the characters would be women.

But honestly if you watch Terminator 1, Sarah acts pretty feminine, like with how she interacts with her friend and shit. Even in the first one, she wasn't just a man with tits.
>>
No. If you consider her a man is because you're probably homosexual.
>>
She's practically at war, what the fuck do you expect her to do? Bitch is getting hounded by bloodthirsty killers for two hours, she doesn't have time for anything that doesn't involve trying to not die. Besides, she softens up a few times.
>>
>tfw i still have no idea what the fuck max says at any point in this movie aside from THAT'S MINE

As far as I could tell, his little heart-to-hearts with Furiosa were a one-sided conversation and he was bitching at her for her shitty driving while she's rambling about hope.
>>
>didn't even TRY an aussia accent

What the fuck is the point
>>
>>64370543

So you're saying Ellen Louise Ripley was written to be a dude?

In the first one she (Sarah) isn't a strong female. She doesn't become badass until 2.
>>
>>64369353
looks like a woman to me.
>>
>>64370933
No, look it up. In the original Alien, none of the characters were written to be white, black, male, female anything. ALL there was to identify them was a surname. We didn't find out her first name was Ellen until Aliens.

And she was kinda badass in the first one. She managed to survive the terminator.
>>
Apparently she originally had long hair but after a few days of shooting Charlize basically said fuck this and they shaved her head and decided to roll with with war boy look.
>>
>>64369128
I still can't believe people are acting like this movie is good.
>>
>>64371013

I'm not going to look anything up you little faggot troll. Feel free to cite something. Her full name Ellen Louise Ripley is given in Alien.

As far as Sarah, she spends the entire first movie being protected by a man, and manages to luckily run from away for a awhile before pushing a button.

Get REKT.
>>
>>64371013

>all that was there was a surname
>so naturally they were all supposed to be men

>no patriarchy
>>
>>64371092
Here is the screenplay for Alien. Not ONCE did it mention her as a woman. Do a control-f for "Ellen", it isnt there.

http://www.dailyscript.com/scripts/alien_shooting.html

But Kyle Reese died? Both him and her were kinda helpless honestly. She still came out on top.
>>
>>64371267
I think you're trying to bait me. The characters were neither written as men nor women. They just wrote a story and cast the best actors they could find. They weren't written as black or white or straight or gay or anything. They were literally just names.
>>
>>64371299
>http://www.dailyscript.com/scripts/alien_shooting.html

That's not the screenplay, idiot.

Kyle Reese died actually fighting the thing. All Sarah did was run.
>>
>>64371299

> LAMBERT walks into the kitchen.
Pours herself a cup.

>herself

> Five men and two women: Lambert and Ripley.

You're kind of an idiot.
>>
>>64371347
>The characters were neither written as men nor women.

>>
Honestly, how exactly would you establish her femininity given the situation she's in? She has tender moments with the wives and the old lady gang that I sure as fuck wouldn't call masculine. Mostly she's just concerned with getting shit done.

She + the different wives show a pretty full spectrum of femininity. Furiosa is just on the hardass ice queen end of it.
>>
>>64371448
Guys, fuck, on Wikipedia it says they were written as generic Men.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_(film)

Ctrl-f and search "generic male" and it says so.

I don't know which to believe.
>>
>>64371448
HOLD UP

I FIGURED IT OUT

Here is the link to the ORIGINAL screenplay.

http://www.dailyscript.com/scripts/alien_early.html

It SPECIFICALLY clarifies the crew is unisex and each part could be either a man or a woman. The other link I gave was a shooting script, which was probably done after the casting was done.

My bad.
>>
>>64371515
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_(film)

"He and Shusett had therefore written all of the roles as generic male ones with a note in the script explicitly stating "The crew is unisex and all parts are interchangeable for men or women."

You can't even read your own fucking source.
>>
>>64371619
But that reinforces what I was saying? Im saying the writers specifically wrote it so that men or women could be cast. Thats what Ive been saying the whole time man.
>>
>>64371685
>m saying the writers specifically wrote it so that men or women could be cast.

>>64370048
>Yeah but in Alien 1, Ripley literally was not written as a female.

>"The crew is unisex and all parts are interchangeable for men or women."
>>
File: 1429926087637.png (115 KB, 995x1080) Image search: [Google]
1429926087637.png
115 KB, 995x1080
> mfw feminists are against any kind of FEMENINE stereotype
> mfw Furiosa wasn't a strong independent female character because she didn't looked like a woman
> mfw
>>
>>64371795
Oh, when I said "Ripley was not written as a female", I didn't meant she was written as a man. I meant she was written without gender. I should have worded that better. Im sorry.
>>
crazy pale chick > scared up pregnant leader > lenny kravitz's cute short daughter > redheadfu > the one who tried running away
>>
>>64371854

...and then they rewrote it to where they were given genders. as exemplified in the first shooting script you provided.
>>
>>64369268
When the female character in question has flaws or vices
>>
>>64371910
Is it possible they did that after they had cast the roles? At what point in production are shooting scripts written?
>>
>>64371971

It doesn't matter at what point they did it. Before it was filmed, the character Ripley was written as a female.
>>
>>64371910
I think the point he's trying to make is that gender wasn't a factor at all when writing the actual story, whereas Furiosa's femaleness is sort of a plot point re: her origin and role as a maternal protector of the wives.
>>
>>64371971
it does matter though. if the shooting script was written after they cast sigourney weaver, then she wasnt written as a female, but they just cast the actor they liked the most

>>64372070
fucking thank you, i feel like im being reasonable here
>>
>>64372070

Jesus fucking christ

In developing the story O'Bannon had focused on writing the Alien first, putting off developing the characters for a later draft.[44] He and Shusett had therefore written all of the roles as generic male ones with a note in the script explicitly stating "The crew is unisex and all parts are interchangeable for men or women."[21][48] This left Scott, Selway, and Goldberg free to interpret the characters as they liked and to cast accordingly. They wanted the Nostromo's crew to resemble working astronauts in a realistic environment, a concept summed up as "truckers in space".[20][21] According to Scott, this concept was inspired partly by Star Wars, which deviated from the pristine future often depicted in science fiction films of the time.[49]

To assist the actors in preparing for their roles, Ridley Scott wrote several pages of backstory for each character explaining their histories.[42][50] He filmed many of their rehearsals in order to capture spontaneity and improvisation, and tensions between some of the cast members, particularly towards the less-experienced Weaver, translated convincingly on film as tension between their respective characters.[50]
>>
>>64372135
So that proves that Ripley wasnt a female character until AFTER sigourney was cast. you just proved my point.
>>
>>64372135
It's still a different situation since Furiosa existing as a male character would have completely changed the basic concept/tone of the movie, especially in terms of the interactions with the wives. The first Alien would have been the same movie with a male Ripley, except that he'd have more clothes on at the end or something.
>>
>>64372209

No, it proves that the crew was written as unisex and all parts were interchangeable for men and women.
>>
>>64372272
>It's still a different situation

Which again, anon's use of it is a poor choice.

My point is that you can't compare Furiosa to Ripley or Sarah.
>>
>>64372277
Ripley's backstory was irrelevant in the first Alien anyway, so the end result is pretty much the same.
>>
>>64372277
A character that is pitched as neither male nor female is a character who's gender is not important to the story. Furiosa's is.
>>
>>64372308

It wasn't pitched as neither male nor female. That's not what interchangeable means. That's not what unisex means.

Keep in my my entire point is that you can't compare Furiosa to Ripley, mostly because Ripley's character has been developed over the course of a half dozen flicks.

Saying "Oh I mean Ripley from Aliens only" is just cherrypicking.
>>
>>64372306

Ripley's backstory was never relevant. The fact the she is a woman has always been relevant since it was filmed. Maybe not in pre-production...but that's because the focus was on the xenomorph.
>>
>>64372430
Her origin of being a mother was relevant in Aliens though.
>>
>>64369295
LONDON
O
N
D
O
N
>>
>>64370035

it is, well, in a sense. Men and women fall in love differently.
>>
>>64372464

How would Aliens have changed if Ripley wasn't a mother?
>>
>>64372571

If men fall in love, then falling in love isn't exclusively a female trait, the method of falling in love notwithstanding.
>>
>>64372603
The overall plot? Not much. But it gave her character more depth and made her more relatable. Plus I think the little girl in Aliens was supposed to be like representative of her daughter or something.
>>
>>64369966
>4chan autists have been so devoid of friendship for so long that they think people becoming friends means they're falling in love
>>
>>64369197

How do feminist reconcile this with the fact that women, even on the most empirical biological level are in fact different? And that no cultural in history or currently doesn't differentiate between men and women?
>>
>>64372999
It's weird, just about everyone I talked to afterwards thought she was after his dick, but to me it seemed like hatred and distrust turning into tolerance and respect.

Even the scene where he gave her blood all she cared about was the girls getting back safely.
>>
>>64372999

>there's such a thing as friendship between men and women

cue the oscar wilde
>>
>>64373102

fem·i·nism
ˈfeməˌnizəm/Submit
noun
the advocacy of women's rights on the grounds of political, social, and economic equality to men.
synonyms: the women's movement, the feminist movement, women's liberation, female emancipation, women's rights; informalwomen's lib
"a longtime advocate of feminism"
>>
>tfw the young hot vulvalini and the seed lady died but some random ass old woman survived to the end

Seemed like a waste for the sequels. The seed lady at least had a good death, but the youngest chick who seemed to know Furiosa was killed off in a second.
Thread replies: 110
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.