[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do people like this movie? Visually it's great and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: rebel-without-a-cause.jpg (842 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
rebel-without-a-cause.jpg
842 KB, 1024x768
Why do people like this movie? Visually it's great and the directing is superb but the story and dialogue are bordering on being a parody. I'm convinced that people that idolise James Deen have never seen his movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7r8LnJTMqZ8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eselLQax8us
>>
>>64366981
If it were remade today, he would have turned his dad into more of a pussy and urged his girlfriend and that Puerto Rican kid to be free spirits and "find themselves" instead of yearning for a traditional family structure.
>>
The quality of films released during the time needs to be taken into consideration. All early acting was shit by today's standards. Not many enthralling stories with dialogue that translates to today as well. People are already mocking CGI for being shit because it's progressed so quickly.

You asked why people like this movie? Because it's visually impressive and the directing is superb, you dunce.
>>
Being a kid weened on Christopher Nolan's brand of dull realism, you can't expect to jump to a 50's melodrama and completely understand the tone and style.
>>
Rebel is widely praised because there was NOTHING like it before.

Teen movies in the past were sterilized pro-conformity bullshit filled with cliches where everyone is happy and well-adjusted and girl trouble was the only issue you had to concern oneself with.

James Dean being a teen with a domineering mother, a cuck father, and calling them out on it and generally speaking, having a huge existential crisis, was a huge deal at the time as no one thought to do a film about that.
>>
>>64368598
Yeah this basically. Also its look and style with the colors that pop. Nicholas Ray practically invented that shit.
>>
>>64368424
I've probably seen more films from the '20s-'40s than anyone on this board.
>>
>>64368598
fair point.
>>
>>64368821
oh really? name one and a half
>>
>>64368863
Citizen Kane, Wizard of Oz, the list goes on.
>>
>>64368598
Pretty much this. It's one of the first movies (especially a popular one) to talk about teenaged angst and problems within "traditional" American families. It's pretty noteworthy in that regard. It's actually kind of sad that the movie ended up with such a shitty title. I avoided watching it for a long time because it sounds like a stupid teen exploitation movie, or something like Reefer Madness, when it actually has a surprising amount of depth.
>>64366981
>I'm convinced that people that idolise James Deen have never seen his movies.

This is probably true. He was only in three movies, and two came out after he died. Rebel is probably his most popular, and his character has almost nothing to do with his pop culture persona. Seriously, Jim Stark isn't a cool teenaged rebel. He's a nerd who ends up trying to look cool to fit in and impress a gang he pissed off, but most of the movie is him talking about how he wants a stable family life. He's a compelling character, but there's not much to idolize and stick on T-shirts there.
>>
kill yourself op

again
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.