[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How is it possible that the CGI in this looks better than li
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: 1451664246333.jpg (719 KB, 1519x1920) Image search: [Google]
1451664246333.jpg
719 KB, 1519x1920
How is it possible that the CGI in this looks better than literally everything involving a spaceship in TFA? It looks so fucking cartoony and bad, Jesus fuck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WBG2rJZGW8
>>
>>64359162

That early Chewie looks like that thing on Rebels.
>>
>>64359162

The spaceships were perfectly fine in TFA
The real problem were those tentacle monsters who had no reason for existing besides to trigger an action sequence in what should have been downtime in the plot
>>
>>64359264
The green dude's Han Solo, not Chewie
>>
>>64359162
its older so you have to be more forgiving.
>>
>>64359162
god the design of a joo hope is so amazing. it makes me happeh that 7 is doing so well. I wish disney had bought sw in the mid 90s.
>>
>>64359264
yeah, the character in rebels was deliberately based on concept art for chewie
>>
>>64359162

you know why it looks better?

because the shots don't last half a second so you can actually see what the fuck is going on and absorb the aesthetics
>>
>>64359162
That part where Darth Vader shoots R2 is pretty sad in retrospect
>>
File: 7573185.png (224 KB, 365x365) Image search: [Google]
7573185.png
224 KB, 365x365
>>64359680
>absorb the aesthetics
>>
>>64359680

It's not just shot length though, the actual CGI quality has a really blurry quality to it. The static shots of the Star Destroyer in TFA suffer from it just as much as anything else.
>>
>>64359680
Spot on. That is always my complaint about modern filmmaking, the shots are always rapid fire.
>>
>>64359834
Or they drop the colors down to 5.
>>
Competent film making, having to use any and all available techniques to really get the shot you want.

When you can just knock up a storyboard and send it off to an animation firm, the passion and the quality drops through the floor unless you're used to using that kind of technology.

There's a reason why good directors of old aren't much good anymore, they're trying to use CGI the same way they used to use practical effects, and they just get it wrong.
>>
if they really wanted to make ep7 aesthetically similar to the OT they should have used models for the ships. interstellar used practical effects even for the space scenes and it looked fantastic.
>>
>>64359162
watching this just accentuates how much TFA pales in comparison. tension-wise, emotion-wise, editing-wise, special effects-wise, memorability-wise, nowhere close to this masterpiece. why is ANH so comfy?
>>
>>64360292
star killer felt out of place.in a way it shows that the FO isnt as good as the Empire yet but its also as not weight at all and is just there to rip-off the OT and have poe do something.
>>
File: nigthcrawler.gif (386 KB, 260x300) Image search: [Google]
nigthcrawler.gif
386 KB, 260x300
>watching trailer
>I really like these snippet-shots that show nice star wars shit I can expect from the movie

>watching movie
>the entire movie is made out of snippet-shots

The worst thing about it is that they put that knights of ren shot in the trailer suggesting they'll be in the movie and when the movie came it was just that one shot in the movie and that's it.
>>
>>64359162
because they actually built everything and filmed it in space retard
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.