[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what was the pearl?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: KOC.jpg (324 KB, 1275x1650) Image search: [Google]
KOC.jpg
324 KB, 1275x1650
what was the pearl?
>>
>>64353252

>Trying to find redemption through women

C U C K A D O O D L E D OOOOOOO
>>
What the fuck does the title even mean I don't get it
>>
>>64353252
Love?
>>
>>64353600

Knight of Cups is a tarot card

There is a parable in the beginning of the film where he talks about how getting distracted by earthly fruits (drinking, drugs, women, etc.)
>>
There is no pearl, just like there is no assured eschatological ending. The search or journey itself is through which we must find meaning. Sometimes we go to others, parents or loved ones. Sometimes we seek out new loves, fleeting romances which give us momentary pleasures. Sometimes we get submerged in the madness and sensuality. Sometimes we get lost in the sky, in the freedom of glimpsing something higher than us. But most of time we wander through life on solid ground, dabbling in both while trying to make sense of it all. We all sleep on instead of looking for the pearl, or we all make the pilgrim's progress to plumb the depths. The highway is not the end, it is simply another beginning.
>>
>>64353252
What you find in yourself through suffering
>>
Inner peace
>>
Not sure if I can help, but when I heard the pearl story, I immediately thought of John Steinbeck's novella The Pearl. I hate that story, but it made me think of how perfect pearls/pearls in general are made:

>"Oysters make pearls in response to an irritant, such as a grain of sand or another object. When any irritant makes its way between the mollusk's shell and mantle, the creature produces nacre, a protective coating that helps reduce irritation. Nacre is also referred to as mother-of-pearl; it's made of microscopic crystals of calcium carbonate, and it also lines the interior of a mollusk's shell. Layers of nacre coat the irritant, eventually forming an iridescent gem - the pearl."

So essentially pearls are created from hardship in life. Something beautiful and rare comes from discomfort. So perhaps the distraction he faces, and the subsequent melancholy he feels, are necessary to form the pearl.
>>
>>64353252

The pearl is the search for the pearl.

Begin.
>>
Enlightenment
>>
>>64357651

Isn't this said verabatim in the film?
>>
>>64358880

I don't think so, but maybe.

There is a Christian priest/minister who says that God shows his love by giving you pain, but it seemed kind of silly the way he worded it.
>>
Beautiful film, he's done it again. Twin Peaks sample was sublime.

https://youtu.be/kjeCNnbVYAQ
>>
>>64360090

Well then I must applaud your post, because I find it quite perfect.
>>
File: The New World (3).jpg (41 KB, 375x250) Image search: [Google]
The New World (3).jpg
41 KB, 375x250
>What we knew in the forest. It's the only truth.
>>
>>64353252
WHITEKNIGHT OF KEKS
>>
>>64360184
You're kind of right. Yes its a sample from twin peaks but actually the KoC sound track is using an ambient track called hyperborea by Biosphere from the album Substrata that happens to use the twin peaks sample. The point is that the sample is part of a song being used in the sound track and so probably is not meant to be a direct link to the Twin Peaks tv show or Lynch.
>>
Light in other people's eyes?
>>
>>64362190
That's very irritating.
>>
The pearl represents the clitoris.
>>
>>64362069
Damn, that's a little less specific of a reference then. Still think it's intentional. I was freaking the fuck out the first time I heard it.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.