[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Things you disliked/liked about TFA
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 15
Dislike:
>Rey mastering the force on her own
>Maz Kanata
seriously fuck her. She was just a bad character only made to forward the plot. Annoying.
>CGI characters
looked really out of place
>one throwback too many
>Starkiller Base
come on
>Too similar to ANH
I don't think it was a rehash, but it followed the same general plot
>Finn being super empathic at the beginning then killing his fellow comrades throughout the rest of the movie
Could be argued that people who support the First order 'have it coming' but I don't know.
>pacing is too fast
>boring planets
>that awkward scene at the end

Liked:
>backgrounds and some foregrounds are painted just like in the OT
>Acting was decent
I especially liked how Daisy captured the personality of a girl who never really grew up.
>Poe
>Kylo Ren being a flawed villain instead of 2D bad guys like Maul or Dooku
>Practical effects
Just campy enough to emulate the OT
>Captured feel of OT
>battle scenes weren't clusterfucks
>rathtar incident felt like a comfy spinoff
>Lightsaber fights were brutal instead of spinny nonsense
>Stormtroopers actually pose a threat
>hints of conflicting politics in the First Order
>Future movies now have to rely on the new cast members
Now that Han is dead
>BB-8 didn't feel shoehorned in
>scene where Kylo prays to Darth Vader's mask
chills

7.5/10 good but not great, felt like an intro for the characters more than anything, played too safe.
>>
>>64352881
I'm sure Rey is Luke's daughter though, or she was a padawan.
>>
>>64352881
Like:
Kylo

Dislike:
Rey
>>
>>64353350
Fair enough
>>
She didn't master the force. She was just better at it than someone who had some training. There's nothing wrong with this.
Prodigies like this exist IRL for lots of things, especially problem solving, memory, calculation, strength/athletic ability, and musical ability.
Just imagine it like this: Kylo was a grad student at MIT in math... and Rey was Will Hunting.
>>
Pretty much agree. Except I would dare give it a rating of 8.5/10 because the movie was overall very entertaining, and the acting was much different than the others, in a good way. The diologue was clunky in the originals and prequels, and nobody should really disagree. In TFA, the diologue was more believable and realistic. The comedy wasn't misplaced. There was a fair amount of tension, etc. I also loved the visuals ALOT, especially that scene where the new death star destroys the cluster of planets. That was a beautiful scene; pure eye candy.
>>
>>64355295
Yeah. In the end, when she closed her eyes for like 10 seconds, then all of a sudden was confident, I was extremely doubtful. Then I remembered, the force actually works this way. It was shown in episode 1, when Qui Gon meditates during his fight with Maul.
>>
>>64352881

>pacing too fast

the only thing they fucked up was introducing the star killer too late and then blowing it up. they should have first revealed/mentioned it in the first fifteen minutes, i think that one change alone would have made the movie feel less like they were just rushing to blow it up in the end because they needed something cool like that to bookend the movie with.
>>
>>64355295

she barely even knew what a fucking jedi was at the beginning of the movie, and suddenly she's deciding "hey i bet i can mind trick this guy, i feel like that's something i can do right now"

its more like kylo is a grad student at MIT and Rey is an African tribal who doesn't even know what numbers are
>>
>>64355332
When the beam is approaching Hosnian Prime? Yeah it was amazing. I really liked how the weapon firing looked and everything.
>>
>disliked
they changed Luke's/anakin's lightsaber sound when it turns on. sounds like the fucking Abram's Enterprise when it goes into warp drive
>>
>>64355398

Qui Gon was defeated about ten seconds after meditating.
>>
Too fast.
>>
>>64355689
It's painfully obvious she has received prior training.
>>
Much like the new Star Wars video game, the only good things were the audio visual.
>>
>>64355967
Irrelevant, he still meditated to tap into the force.
>>
File: BluepillWars.jpg (204 KB, 1280x817) Image search: [Google]
BluepillWars.jpg
204 KB, 1280x817
FINN BTFO
>>
>>64355774
Yeah, and the shot of the people on the planet, staring in awe at their inevitable death. Probably my favorite scene.
>>
>>64355398
Yes. She's a force savant.

>>64355689
It doesn't matter. There are people who don't know something, are told about it, and then immediately are able to absorb it and use it in ways people don't think of. As a math grar student, I see this all the time. You can teach force techniques, and you can practice them... But evidently just like memory or mental calculation abilities, some people are just born better than others. This would be like if you learn how to do arithmetic and memorizing in school and then I introduce you to Daniel Tammet or Kim Peek, dude. It's really quite simple.
>>
File: image.jpg (125 KB, 638x479) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
125 KB, 638x479
>high-concept archetypes and characters
>the pace of the first Act
>looks like we'll have a dark blade runner style planet like Coruscant in the sequel and a dreamy island

"AHCH-To" was an aquatic planet which served, three decades after the Galactic Civil War, as the home to Jedi Master Luke Skywalker, who went into exile seeking the first Jedi Temple after his new generation of Jedi were killed by the Knights of Ren. Ahch-To had numerous islands, which Skywalker sought out during his exile. After the Resistance pieced together two map fragments to reveal Skywalker's location, Rey traveled to Ahch-To in the Millennium Falcon in search of him.
>>
>>64355332

droid please
>>
>>64356629

yes, i get that some people are better at some things than other. what i'm referring to, you dense motherfucker, is the fact that she's even attempting to do things that she doesn't even know exist, so why would she even attempt them? its just bad writing.
>>
>>64352881
>Rey being an expert at everything she does, regardless of never doing it before
>Rey's whole fucking character in the first place
>Plot is far too similar to IV
>Poe should have had more screen time, he was good when working with Finn.
>Phasma was a pointless character. Practically zero screen time, and when she does appear she lowers the shield with almost no coercion whatsoever.
>Fucking Rey again, goddamn

Things I liked:
>Poe
>pleasantly surprised by Boyega's performance, especially since Abrams based lots of casting decisions on race just because he felt the original cast was "too white". I was worried he wouldn't deliver, he and Poe were great in their escape sequence
>vehicle redesigns were solid. I liked the new TIE and X-Wing designs
>costumes were acceptable, though the new stormtrooper helmets are a little wonky
>Tray Tor
>Saber fights were good. No spinning, and the 'sabers don't come out unless shit is about to go down, unlike in the prequels.
>BB-8 was actually pretty cool

Overall I'd say maybe a 7.5 or so out of 10. Ranks about 4th in my SW Power-level list:

V > IV > VI > VII > III > II > I
>>
>>64357022
Like what? I'll give you the piloting she did is bullshit.
What did she do that she didn't see before?
>>
>>64357129
Why do people always say the piloting was stupid? She crashed the thing about 4-5 times, plus she mentioned(very briefly) that she had a flight simulator when her and Finn were circlejerking over their success and says it in the novel.
>>
File: image.jpg (219 KB, 1406x866) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
219 KB, 1406x866
I loved the use of claymation. Finally bringing it back!

http://youtu.be/zHduOPqJjVA
>>
>>64357360
She didn't crash once, actually. Finn had never touched the gun on the falcon and was shit at it.
Rey not only immediately learned how to pilot the ship, but she outmaneuvered expert pilots and also controlled the thing like Han did. But she had a flight simulator. That's honestly like saying that because you've played Need for Speed you expect to be Michael Schumacher the first time you ever touch a steering wheel.
>>
File: image.jpg (138 KB, 634x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
138 KB, 634x720
Tippett's homages to Harryhausen.
>>
File: image.jpg (70 KB, 728x409) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
70 KB, 728x409
Anything with armatures or models.
>>
Needed more kanjuklub teebeeH
>>
>>64357513
I count banging into things and scraping them as crashes as well. She only outmaneuvered one tie fighter, the first one was a lucky hit on Finn's part and the second one was the sheer weirdness of the maneuver she pulled. For what it's worth she also rode that speeder on Jakku.
>>
>>64355295
>Prodigies like this exist IRL for lots of things
Why is this relevant? It doesn't matter if you can pull an explanation out of your ass. She's still a boring character because she's instantly good at exactly the things she needs to be to get out of a situation
>>
File: Spoiler.jpg (44 KB, 612x459) Image search: [Google]
Spoiler.jpg
44 KB, 612x459
I'll add a thing or two:

Dislike:
>Rey beating (wounded, but still) Kylo without ever holding a lightsaber
>Rey x Finn love story in the making

Like:
>lightsaber duels actually looking like fights and not a dances
>New Order having great characters
>Self-awareness of silly shit like the reveal of another death star
Pic related's amazing bromance
>>
>>64358286
Rey know how to fight with a staff though so I imagine it translates. If you notice she was getting rekd most of the fight, only at the end was she able to overpower Kylo.
>>
>>64356545
>>
>>64358286
>without ever holding a lightsaber

Thats what you think
>>
>>64357435
was it in any other scene than the chess board?
>>
>>64358286
>Self-awareness of silly shit like the reveal of another death star

that possibly upset me more than anything else in the movie, you count it as a positive? It was like they were saying "Oh, you are upset we're using a Death Star for the 3rd time in 7 movies? Lol, who cares! Just turn your brain off and have fun!"

I felt personally insulted in a way. My intelligence was insulted.
>>
Will we see more Kanjiclub in the next movies?
>>
>>64359354
I think he ded
>>
Liked:
>Finn
>Poe
>Kylo Ren

Disliked:
>Orange Yoda
>Rey
>Snoke being ugly CGI
>>
File: image.jpg (107 KB, 706x403) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
107 KB, 706x403
>>64359108
I don't think so, but ESB is full of stop-motion, so I imagine Rian Johnson will want to bring that back in a bigger way.
>>
File: 1404376307_f595ceff9f_o.jpg (3 MB, 3072x2304) Image search: [Google]
1404376307_f595ceff9f_o.jpg
3 MB, 3072x2304
I just disliked Rey dominating the force and fighting skill so quickly, I really hope there's a good explanation in the upcoming movies.
And Kylo ren having the face of a kid, The moment he took off his mask, and suddenly didn't look that intimidating.
>>
File: image.jpg (119 KB, 830x456) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
119 KB, 830x456
>>
>>64359799

>The moment he took off his mask, and suddenly didn't look that intimidating.

This is because he's going to be the hero by Episode IX when he needs to defeat Darth Reyvan.
>>
File: image.jpg (26 KB, 369x288) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26 KB, 369x288
>>64359799
They've got to speed through the known skills so that she can demonstrate new ones. Maybe Rey will be using ESP in the next one.
>>
Hated the scene where the mercenaries show up and get eaten but the monster carries Finn around.
>>
>>64359888
Please fucking no. Let me guess. It will follow one of these cliches story.
>kilo ren after acknowledge he was being used, turns to the good side to help defeat the First Order. Everything stays well in the end and everyone forgot all evil things he did.
But what's is more plausible is
>He turns to the good side for the same reason before but dies in the end.
>>
File: image.jpg (125 KB, 640x463) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
125 KB, 640x463
>>
>>64352881
>mastering the force

You fucking dumb retard.
>>
>>64356545
Yeah it was great seeing their reaction to something approaching them faster than the speed of light.
>>
>>64359940
The monster was doing this to some of the other gang members if you look closely.
>>
>>64360120
If the sun went out it would take 2 minutes for us to notice. Same concept. The energy shot through hyperspace and emerged in the Hosnian system.
>>64360076
She mastered the mind trick as well as force pull and meditation.
>>
>>64360256
Next time I watch I'll make sure to
>>
Just watched the film today. I noticed that you can see the circular openign for the starkiller gun when rebel ships are coming in to attack, but there is no energy entering it from the sun. In the next scene we can see the sun's energy coming down from the sky anyway. Did I miss something or was this just a really lazy mistake?
>>
>>64360839
The energy goes in the back of the planet and out the other side.
>>
>>64352881
Disliked:
Rey
Finn's turn to good
Forgettable Soundtrack
Youngling Slayer/Story for another time handwaving
THE DEATHSTAR... BUT BIGGER
Rey again - The fact that a mere ten minutes of rewrite could literally render every other character irrelevant.
The pacing, too much action, not enough worldbuilding; lose the scene on Han's freighter
Boring planets
CRAWLING IN MY SKINNNNNN: The Character
Captain Phasma was totally wasted

Like:
Most of the acting
The effects
Neat new force powers
More aliens
Finn
Han and Chewie
Despite my long list of dislikes, I still had fun. But I have fun with the prequels too.
>>
>>64358462
Not even overpower. She gets out of the saber lock and surprises and unbalances him right away. Whenever he tries to center himself, she unbalances him again
>>
>>64352881
Disliked:
>yet another, but bigger, deathstar
>score doesn't really stand out
>Rey's aptitude at picking up on the force - should have been dialed down
>not much Phasma screen time
>aside from killing Han Solo Kylo seems more unbalanced than ruthless and unforgivingly evil
>some things glossed over, like how Maz got the lightsaber. Would like them to touch on it again in next movie or something

Liked:
>the duel. isn't over-choreographed and looks very 'real'. probably top or second best 4me
>no "it's so dense"
>Poe and Finn bromance
>Adam Driver / Kylo is a way better "Anakin" than Hayden Christensen / Anakin
>Rey
>Dat nostalgia (though I hope they only use this very minimally next movie)
>no Jar Jar esque obnoxiousness
>that OT feel
>BB-8
>humourous moments and self-awareness
>>
File: 1451240653751.png (2 MB, 993x951) Image search: [Google]
1451240653751.png
2 MB, 993x951
>>64358286
>dislike Finn with a white women
>force a gay pairing with him instead
>>
File: 1449179519678.jpg (229 KB, 454x627) Image search: [Google]
1449179519678.jpg
229 KB, 454x627
>>64352881
Holy shit friend, this has to be the review I agree the most with so far. I also incidentally gave it the same score as you.
>>
>>64352881
Liked:
>Han
>Finn
>Poe
>BB-8
>Falcon, X-Wings & TIE Fighters
>Stormtroopers, especially TR-8R
>Cinematography & Practical Effects

Disliked:
>Derivative of A New Hope & the pacing
>Rey, though decent acting from Daisy
>Finn turning completely good all of a sudden was hard to believe
>Not enough screen time for Poe
>How the New Order functioned
>Captain Phasma did jack shit
>Planets
>Not Yoda
>Not Death Star
>Music was just ok

Indifferent:
>Kylo Ren
>Snoke
>Appearances from other OT characters

6/10 overall.
>>
File: carrie.jpg (76 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
carrie.jpg
76 KB, 1600x1200
Like:
>BB-8
>the new characters for the most part
>Han and Chewie
>C3PO
>Luke's Obi Wan design
>the Falcon chase
>the lightsaber duel
>TRAITOR

Dislike:
>Finn's sudden rebellion going from being sickened from killing civilians to whooping when killing his former comrades
>the plot conveniences
>overused homage turning it into a copy
>The whole Stormtrooper Jedi Mind trick thing
>Maz looked like a Michael Bay Ninja Turtle
>the whole freighter/tentacle monster scene
>not-Tatooine which didn't feel like an alien world at all
>underusing Captain Phasma
>Kylo Ren taking his mask off before meeting Han
>"Stop holding my hand!" Feminazi shit.
>Finn not having Boeyga's suave Brit accent
>Not-Death Star concept entirely
>New Republic just being a cluster of generic planets that have no names unlike the established worlds of the Prequels
>not enough Poe
>the x-wing battle felt generic and boring
>R2 waking up with Han dying
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.