[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
did Bruce Lee set the bar too high for Asian actors in the west?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 3
File: bruce_lee.jpg (30 KB, 340x425) Image search: [Google]
bruce_lee.jpg
30 KB, 340x425
did Bruce Lee set the bar too high for Asian actors in the west? was he too much of a badass to follow up on?
>>
>>64351853
Jackie Chan exists, so no. Both are one trick ponies, but Jackie has a better trick.
>>
>>64352074
Jackie Chan is great but when's the last time he was in a serious role? Bruce was just as charismatic and is just as well known despite being dead for 40 years
>>
daily reminder that he lost to wong jack man
>>
>>64352339
unproven
>>
Toshiro Mifune already set the bar way higher
>>
Cho young fat for more serious
Donnie yen for serious/action
Jackie Chan for comedy/action
Jet Li for action
>>
>>64351853
He did make every other kung-fu movie from that era look stiff and lifeless in comparison.
>>
>>64352652

Takeshi Kaneshiro is the modern Toshiro Mifune with a tiny bit more feminine features to appeal to Asian women

Toshiro would not be popular in Asia now because Asian girls hate alpha Asian men (excluding career alphas). Asian men with beards or obvious high test are avoided because they're regarded as uncontrollable beasts (they are secretly admired). Because of this, Asian women make the feminine beta boys popular since they look easy to control.

I grew a beard and got shitloads of glares/stares from Asian women. Got way better reactions from non-Asian girls.
>>
>>64353400
Couples are reflections of each other. When I meet an ultra submissive beta woman, I know her man is also beta. The rare alpha Nippon belongs with a western woman who admires his manliness without feeling threatened by it.
>>
>>64354352
>non-white of any kind belonging with a white woman
top cuck
>>
>>64354541
Western doesn't strictly mean white.
>>
>>64351853
>Forgetting Gordon Lui and Sony Chiba
>>
>>64352647
i saw it happen
>>
he pretty much limited asian actors to karate man roles for the next few decades
>>
>>64355178
That's seems very difficult to believe. Are you something like 70 or 80 years old?
>>
>>64352185
>when's the last time he was in a serious role?
I believe it was in the Karate Kid remake with Jaden Smith.
>>
Enter the Dragon > Fist of Fury > The Big Boss > Way of the Dragon >>>>>>> Game of Death
>>
>>64356554
Enter the Dragon is a retarded meme movie, ranking it above The Chinese Connection only reveals your garbage taste
>>
>>64356624
Nice try reddit.
>>
>>64356624
Enter the Dragon = Big Trouble in Little Hong Kong
>>
File: Jim-Kelly-008.jpg (34 KB, 460x276) Image search: [Google]
Jim-Kelly-008.jpg
34 KB, 460x276
>>64356624
Man, you straight out of a comic book
>>
>>64356692
Bruce Lee as a Western spy is colossally stupid, no Western intelligence agency would use Chinese as spies unless they anticipated double agency.

Fights were ridiculously bad.

Lee's pseudo-philosophical meanderings are the most /r/cringe thing I've ever seen on film.

Yes, I'm from reddit. That's true. I enjoy posting to reddit and I'll never stop posting there. But ETD is a clusterfuck and bad qua martial arts film and The Chinese Connection is superior in every respect.
>>
>>64356869
>that final boss fight scene with the mirrors
>bad
ok bud
>>
>>64356440
bruce almost died during that fight he was beaten so badly

i recounted the match in a 1981 post to usenet if you care to check
>>
>>64356954
the movie maker suddenly realized the final boss in an old guy with one hand with screwed on wolverine claws.

shit, how do we make it more exciting?

let's try mirrors, mirrors are exciting.
>>
>>64358048
it should've been Bruce vs Roper, with Bruce overpowering and embarrassing the white american pig
>>
>>64351853
I liked Mortal Kombat more than Enter the Dragon.
>>
>>64359687
why
>>
>>64360725
Because it's better? Bloodsport is also better and so is Heroes of the East. The Quest is probably better too.

Enter le Dragon is trash for trash people
>>
>>64360768
No!
>>
>>64357851
What's funny is Wong Jack Man challenged Lee to a public rematch. Lee never responded. Lee only fights when there are no witnesses.
>>
>>64352787
>Chow Yun Fatt
>serious
>>
I wonder how good he was at having gay sex.
>>
>>64351853

No, but he did fuck it up for everyone else in the sense that Golden Harvest and a few other companies spent forever trying to make money off the name/image of Bruce Lee instead of just continuing to make good films that would cross over naturally like Big Boss had.

Nobody was safe from Brucesploitation during the mid 70's, which is sort of why Jackie Chan became a success in the 80's, the silent-movie style comedic situations and reactions set him apart from everyone else, and it only happen because Jackie himself was frustrated at being marketed as another Bruce clone (with US co-productions like Battle Creek Brawl and The Protector).
>>
>>64357851
>>64352339
lmao the fuck are you talking about, lee fucked him up, the coward started running and putting up rules
>>
>>64360910
>Golden Harvest and a few other companies
you mean wo hop to?
>>
>>64361078
Go back to bed Linda.
>>
>>64361140
>The two came out, bowed formally and then began to fight. Wong adopted a classic stance whereas Bruce, who at the time was still using his Wing Chun style, produced a series of straight punches. Within a minute, Wong's men were trying to stop the fight as Bruce began to warm to his task.

Literally fucked him up
>>
>>64352339
>caring about an actor winning some street fight
>>
>>64356869
>referencing reddit boards
fuck off redditor
>>
>>64361270
wong jack man annihilated bruce lee but history has been fixed in his favour due to one man having celebrity and wealth and another not, you must be one stupid 鬼佬 not to understand what has happened
>>
>>64361974
>le history has been changed
Sure thing lad
>>
Tatsuya Nakadai and toshiro mifune are my favorite japanese actors, bruce is a bit of a meme
>>
>>64353400
>ywn get to work your tongue around the inside of his foreskin

I don't want to live anymore
>>
>>64362251
consider the source please, will you even do that?

wong jack man btfo bruce lee and because of some pale liars he is ignominious in the west. dumb dumb dumb
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.