[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
"Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 16
File: Star-Wars-Prequels1-600x300.jpg (60 KB, 600x300) Image search: [Google]
Star-Wars-Prequels1-600x300.jpg
60 KB, 600x300
"Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering"

>b-but the prequels have nothing but bad dialogues guys. MUH Plinkett said so.

Prequels appreciation thread.
>>
I wish every fan of Plinkett would get shot in the fucking face. I want to see their mothers cry as they bleed out and try to grasp onto every last hope that the prequels are bad movies because le funny movie man on the internet told them so.

I would laugh in their faces and spit on their graves. Put out my cigarette on their casket.
>>
>>64351846
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tLf1JO5bvE

Trust me mate, the shite dialogue was criticised well before RLM did.
>>
Did anyone else find Tatooine in episode 1 to be really comfy?
>>
File: 1387824655586.jpg (99 KB, 900x1344) Image search: [Google]
1387824655586.jpg
99 KB, 900x1344
>>64351918

>I would laugh in their faces and spit on their graves. Put out my cigarette on their casket.
>>
When did dialogue become so fucking important? They had decades of amazing silent films with no dialogue at all, in fact the best parts of Star Wars have no dialogue like the binary sunset, Anakin and Padme in ep3, Yoda levitating the Xwing. Neckbeards need witty capeshit style quips they can quote apparently
>>
>>64352000
I found it kawaii as fuck how Anakin immediately latched on to Qui-Gonn.
>>
>>64351996
That's the only card Plinkett riders have.

>>64352035
>in fact the best parts of Star Wars have no dialogue like the binary sunset
>Plinkett cocksuckers making shit up as always

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMUKGTkiWik
>>
File: 1414255590102.jpg (21 KB, 310x263) Image search: [Google]
1414255590102.jpg
21 KB, 310x263
>>64352035
>When did dialogue become so fucking important?
>>
>>64351846

Are you seriously claiming that this shit is good? Really?
>>
>>64351918
I wish you would get shot in the fucking face. I want to see your mother cry as you bleed out and try to grasp onto every last hope that the prequels aren't bad movies because you are a huge contrarian faggot.

I would laugh in your face and spit on your graves. Put out my cigarette on your casket.
>>
>>64352113
Better than everything in TFA
>>
>>64352095
Your favourite scene is pretty subjective.
>>
>>64352097
If I want to watch two people talking I'll stay home and watch TV not pay $20 to see it 4 stories high
>>
>>64352144
>being this plebeian.
Fuck off and watch furious 7.
>>
The thing is, the dialogue isn't really that crap. The way Lucas films dialogue is very different from many modern directors. The prequels are more like plays in many ways with little space for cutting out any dodgy acting due to the fact he is using mostly single camera setups. TFA on the other hand is probably filmed from every conceivable angle with 20 cameras so it's much easier to pick and choose takes and angles. This is also the reason why TFA looks like a shitty fan made TV pilot and not a sweeping epic like the prequels. That's just an objective viewpoint.
>>
>>64352189
Every true Patrician knows the movies went to shit after sound came in and Murnau, Griffith, and Von Stroheim faded, did I lose you pleb?
>>
>>64352401
gr8 m8 no d-b8 i r8 it an 8 i h8 2 b in an ir8 st8 but its my f8
hey m8 i apreci8 that u r8 it gr8 u wanna d8 and mayb masturb8 i can ask n8 and we can meet at the g8 dont b l8
gr8 b8 m8 i r8 it an 8/8 plz don't h8
gr8 b8 m8 cant even h8 so I r8 8 outta 8
Gr8 b8 m8. I rel8, str8 appreci8, and congratul8. I r8 this b8 an 8/8. Plz no h8., I'm str8 ir8. Cre8 more, can't w8. We should convers8, I won't ber8
>>
File: fuckityfuckme.gif (801 KB, 250x170) Image search: [Google]
fuckityfuckme.gif
801 KB, 250x170
>>64352401
You do know how movies and television shows are filmed right? Because it sounds like you're talking out of your arse.
>>
>>64351846
That isn't good dialogue though
>>
>it's funny if I eat this shit and enjoy it ironically
>>
>>64351846
>b-but the prequels have nothing but bad dialogues guys. MUH Plinkett said so.
Having fun with your strawman there, idiot? Why do you do this to yourself every day?
That wasn't even written by George, they took it straight from the EU. It should be legal to euthanize prequel apologists.
>>
>>64352401
>The thing is, the dialogue isn't really that crap.
Oh it is absolutely fucking crap, you stupid cocksucker.
>>
How to troll /tv/:
1. Make some ridiculous post about how the Star Wars prequels aren't "that bad".
2. If someone calls you out on your bullshit, blame it on the Plinkett reviews and rabidly shitpost.
>>
File: 3999389594039.jpg (264 KB, 700x875) Image search: [Google]
3999389594039.jpg
264 KB, 700x875
>its now cool to hate plinkett

Ah, of course. Better start liking the prequels again! Until that stops being a thing.

Gee, being contrarian sure is hard work!
>>
>>64352992
OP is right though

the prequels really aren't that bad
>>
>>64352533
As opposed to the star wars movies that came out before sound? That's really fucking fascinating, please tell me more.
>>
>>64353034
They're the worst movies ever made.
>>
>>64351996
I'm pretty sure an actor like Morgan Freeman would be able to pull that line off and make it good.
>>
>>64353042
You're right. Everyone has hated the prequels for a decade, but now that TFA has come out we like them again. But that's just a coincidence, of course.

Do we like George Lucas now? Ok, that's fine too. Just a coincidence.
>>
>>64353089
Perhaps. Helps with context though. Star Wars (I feel) really isn't the place for this sort of dialogue
>>
>>64352401
Yes, listen to this man. There were too many cameras set up for TFA and that's why it won't stack up to the prequels
>>
>>64351996
But it's a great film guys! Surely much better than TFA. That's just a rehash, so it's bad.
>>
File: Holiday card.jpg (121 KB, 430x250) Image search: [Google]
Holiday card.jpg
121 KB, 430x250
>>64351846
I've always loved these films, ever since they came out, I recently watched them with my wife and two children, they loved the action, my wife adored Padme, so many brilliantly well-written characters, the whole trilogy is a beautiful tragedy filled with so many themes and genius symbolism, pic related, our happy little family.
>>
File: image.jpg (99 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
99 KB, 1024x768
>>64353042
The prequels follow in the tradition of Metropolis, Intolerence, Soviet epics, not Peter Jackson and capeshit, of course plebs have a hard time getting it, I understand
>>
okay one line
give me another one
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (10 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
10 KB, 480x360
>>64353261
All you can do is try to reference other films because you have absolutely nothing of substance to say about the prequels.
>>
>>64353077
upboated
>>
>>64353230
Don't try to bring up your stupid stormblr bullshit into this, cletus.
>>
>>64353367
I'm sorry, what? I don't understand?
>>
>>64353330
The peach fuzz on Natalie Portmans back in that scene is worth the ticket alone
>>
>>64353347
>Those movies were crap
>b-buh-buh buh-buh le redditt!
Every time.
>>
>>64353261
Wait, are you bashing or defending dialogue? I'm actually lost on your downy opinion
>>
>>64352401

The dialogue in the prequels is filmed in the most static and lazy way possible. It isn't even an artistic design decision becuase the dialogue never, ever, matches up with the scene. It's just "we need some exposition, just shoot it on this coruscant apartment set, or shoot it in the jedi temple set, or shoot it in palp's office" The only time this was ever not the case was when palpatine is telling his Darth Plaeguis bedtime story.

The dialogue is terrible, and it's shot so that you never have a chance to ignore the terrible dialogue and acting because it's just two dumb assholes standing around or sitting around taking to each other.
>>
>>64352135
Hello Reddit!
>>
File: dirtyjewass.jpg (86 KB, 1140x664) Image search: [Google]
dirtyjewass.jpg
86 KB, 1140x664
>>64353428
Do you think Hayden rear-ended that?
>>
>>64353326
Always two there are, no more, no less. A master and an apprentice.
>>
>>64353514
>"we need some exposition, just shoot it on this coruscant apartment set, or shoot it in the jedi temple set, or shoot it in palp's office"
As long as Jorge doesn't have to get off his couch.
>>
>>64353261

Metropolis has better special effects than the prequels, also fuck you for bringing metropolis into this.
>>
File: sheevgif.gif (938 KB, 298x214) Image search: [Google]
sheevgif.gif
938 KB, 298x214
“Yousa thinking yousa people ganna die?”
“I don’t care what universe you’re from, that’s got to hurt!”
“Love won’t save you, Padme. Only my new powers can do that.”
“…Don’t try it, Anakin. I have the high ground!”
“There’s always a bigger fish.”
“I’m haunted by the kiss that you should never have given me.”
“Are you an angel?”
“I don’t like sand. It’s coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere.”
“Ye gods, whatta meesa sayin’?”
“I sense Count Dooku.”
“Ani? My goodness, you’ve grown!”
“How wude!”
“I can’t take Dooku alone! I need you!”
“I’ve been wondering… what are midi-chlorians?”
“Chesco, Sebulba. Chipoka oomen geesa. Me teesa radical fbombati chop chawa.”
“I have the POWER! UNLIMITED… POWER!”
“Droidekas!”
“Uh! So uncivilized.”
“Now this is pod racing!”
“So this is how liberty dies… with thunderous applause.”
“…It is only natural. He cut off your arm, and you wanted revenge.”
“Always two there are, no more, no less.”
“Mom, you said that the biggest problem in the universe is no one helps each other.”
“He owes me what you’d call a ‘life-debt.’ Your gods demand that his life belongs to me.”
“From my point of view, the Jedi are evil!”
“I thought we had decided not to fall in love. That we’d be forced to live a lie and that it would destroy our lives.”
“A vergence, you say?”
“Now that I’m with you again, I’m in agony. My heart is beating, hoping that that kiss will not become a scar.”
“No loose wire jokes.”
“Your mother had gone out early, like she always did, to pick mushrooms that grow on the vaporators.”
“For reasons we can’t explain, we are losing her.”
“…Well, then you really are lost!”
“He said… you killed younglings!”
“…I’ll try spinning. That’s a good trick. Whoa-ah!”
>>
>>64353443
I am defending it, it is heavily stylized and people aren't used to stylized acting or dialogue, it's not "you have a cute boyfriend?", but I'm also saying constantly attacking the dialogue is missing the point nerf herder from the supposed god tier OT is not fucking Shakespeare
>>
>>64353626
You forgot
"My allegiance is to the republic, to democracy!"
>>
>>64351846
doesnt Yoda say that in ESB?
>>
>>64353684
>it is heavily stylized
It's poorly written, try harder next time.
>>
File: 1311949083856.jpg (55 KB, 486x409) Image search: [Google]
1311949083856.jpg
55 KB, 486x409
>>64353626
>“Love won’t save you, Padme. Only my new powers can do that.”
>>
>>64353684
It's not only bad but there's a hell of a lot of it where there shouldn't be.
>>
>>64353568
not really anything special, just standard prequel yoda

plus I didn't like how it limits the sith and lore
>>
>>64352000
I find the whole of the Phantom Menace to be comfy. It's why I'm such an apologist for it.
>>
>>64353854
>comfy
That's just a dismissive and lazy argument.
>>
File: image.jpg (396 KB, 2400x1350) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
396 KB, 2400x1350
>>64353605
>Metropolis has better special effects than the prequels, also fuck you for bringing metropolis into this.
>>
>>64352035
Dialogue reflects characterization and depends on context. A lot of the dialogue in Spectre, e.g., was bad because it was cliched or boring, not something a super-charming spy would say, and thus it came off as lazily written to be relatable to a very wide audience, rather than appearing authentic.

In Star Wars' case, if the dialogue simply doesn't fit what a "X-year-old jedi" might say, for example, it would come of clumsy or contrived. Nolan's movies are good examples of this too. It's painfully obvious when watching them that the words are unnatural, and this breaks immersion and makes you care less about the characters, because they seem fabricated. That's why dialogue is important--like most every other aspect, it *has to fit together* with the other aspects of the film.
>>
>>64353916
Look at that poorly lit, lazy shot on vader's side. Look at that goddamn gorgeous chiaroscuro in Metropolis.
I know you're playing devil's advocate and all, but come on.
>>
>>64353893
It's not an argument so much as a perspective. I wouldn't argue that Menace is some hidden gem like a lot of people are trying to do nowadays, simply that its aspects are goofy and enjoyable in their own way. Not so much secretly a good movie, just better than it's usually given credit for.
>>
>>64354042
I, too, find enjoyment in watching terrible movies that at least try or are entertaining in some way. The Phantom Menace is boring and incoherent enough so that doesn't happen.
>>
>>64351918
>>
>>64352095
Was that why yoda died?
>>
>>64351918
This becomes funnier when you picture Doug Walker posting it.
>>
Alright nerds answer me this:

What was Darth Vader and The Emperor's ambition in the sequels?
Why did Darth Vader have so much spare time to chase down luke?
Did Vader and the emperor even do anything wrong?

Vader and Sidious could have been the good guys in the sequals, their actions were so poorly written.
>>
Not much to appreciate. Qui Gon was awesome. Maul was badass. The final fight between Anakin and Obi Wan was good. That's about it.
>>
>>64354602
>Uuuunlimited powaaaaaah

>What else would he be doing? He's going after the remnants of the rebellion and his force-sensitive son.

>Nothing wrong, just building a planet-destroying space station, and destroyed a planet or two, annihilated the last of the Jedi, just for starters...
>>
>>64351918
Good, good let the buttery flow through you
>>
>TFA is the true continuation of the OT
>the prequels suck

Hello Reddit!
>>
>>64354602
>What was Darth Vader and The Emperor's ambition in the sequels?
Vader's was to do his master's bidding, the Emperor's was to keep the galaxy under control.
>Why did Darth Vader have so much spare time to chase down luke?
Because the Emperor wanted him alive.
>Did Vader and the emperor even do anything wrong?
They tried to turn Luke and failed. These are things you should be able to answer yourself, why are you playing dumb? I guess you do have to play dumb to try and defend the prequels somehow.
>>
>>64354851
>Qui Gon was awesome.
How so?
>Maul was badass.
He died in 2 minutes, got owned like a bitch.
>The final fight between Anakin and Obi Wan was good.
It dragged on for too long, to the point where it was silly.
>That's about it.
So, nothing. Good to know.
>>
>>64354917
Hello, 9gag!
>>
File: image.gif (737 KB, 200x250) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
737 KB, 200x250
>>64351918
>Being mad at the objective truth
>>
There are heroes on both sides.
>>
>>64354868
Does a planet have feelings? why do we care about the planet? Annihilated the jedi but we're only told this as backstory. The Jedi sound like a totalitarian elite with the information we're given in the sequels.
>>
File: Untitled.png (51 KB, 332x815) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
51 KB, 332x815
Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.