[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
“The Hateful Eight”: Quentin Tarantino’s Playfully Adolescent
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 6
File: richard brody.jpg (54 KB, 460x346) Image search: [Google]
richard brody.jpg
54 KB, 460x346
The true patrician has spoken.

>He films like a perpetual adolescent who’s making mud pies (or blood pies) with history.

>But in the effort to make words images Tarantino forgot one thing—to make images images, too—and, as a result, his words sit atop the film like an unprocessed mass, stifling the soundtrack and the pictures alike.

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/richard-brody/the-hateful-eight-quentin-tarantinos-playfully-adolescent-filmmaking
>>
File: 1450619868415.jpg (59 KB, 714x562) Image search: [Google]
1450619868415.jpg
59 KB, 714x562
what did he think of this scene?
>>
>>64343934
I bet that guy is real fun to hang out with...

not
>>
>>64344007
fuck off back to reddit
>>
BASED BRODY KNIGHT OF CUPS REVIEW WHEN?
>>
how does one make images images? what the fuck kind of criticism is that? how does one make words words?
>>
That nose is kosher.
>>
>>64343934
rekt
>>
He's still just a critic though, he'd kill to be in Tarantula's shoes.
>>
>>64344075
More like Tarantula would kill to be his shoe
>>
>>64344007

>Fun

When you grow up kiddo you'll realize their is more to life than stimulating your erogenous zones
>>
>>64344132
Things like not mixing up your there's and their?
>>
>>64343934
>patrician
this guy is fucking clown, just another out of touch pseudo intellectual. If he was under 30 he would be on /lit/ meming about DFW or some other hack writer with zero life experience
>>
File: 1429971201108.png (43 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
1429971201108.png
43 KB, 900x900
>>64343934
>The true patrician has spoken

Stopped reading right here
>>
>>64345591
What's wrong with DFW? I've been reading infinite jest, and I thought it was pretty great.
>>
>>64343934
Who is this pleb hack worthless piece of shit kike? I'll wait for King Armond's review
>>
I think the more memes a film has, the likelihood of it being any good aren't that great.
>>
>>64346933
It's been out for a while man, every bit as great as you'd expect.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/428923/hateful-eights-racial-insults?target=author&tid=1152026
>>
>>64346856

It's popular, and people who aren't as smart as me liked it, and I don't want anyone to think I'm stupid like them. It was trash
>>
>>64347171

>As always, QT is concerned only with expressing his antisocial impulse.

Pretty much nails it in one sentence

Why does Armond take so much flack? I never really get the sense that he's trolling, his reviews are actually thoughtful
>>
>>64346933

>All this was to be expected from QT’s fashionable degenerate habits. But it’s especially dismaying that the dialogue-driven Tarantino doesn’t rise to the fanboy challenge he set himself by filming The Hateful Eight on 70mm celluloid, as if reviving cinema’s original aesthetic. QT has never been a visually accomplished filmmaker like Ford, Sam Peckinpah, or Sergio Leone, and his close-ups and shallow focus (particularly the undistinguished wintry exterior vistas and the scenes of foreground convulsions while the background is blurred) only recall cheap B-movies. This contradicts the deluxe visual imagery that once made 70mm roadshow exhibitions a moviegoer’s delight. The purpose of David Lean’s, Carol Reed’s, and Stanley Kubrick’s 70mm films was to magnify, if not glorify, human complexity. The complete ugliness of The Hateful Eight only proves that the high-class roadshow presentation has — like racial empathy — gone the way of social etiquette.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/428923/hateful-eights-racial-insults?target=author&tid=1152026
>>
>>64347392
>http://www.nationalreview.com/article/428923/hateful-eights-racial-insults?target=author&tid=1152026
Because if a movie is overly popular, then all negative opinions are viewed as contrarian. I've seen leakages of reddit here after that garbage TFA was released.
>FUCK YOU HATER! xD
Back to reddit, kiddo.
>>
In the 70 mm version, I thought Uno Farto overused the rack focus when Daisy was playing the guitar. After a while, it annoyed the fuck out of me. Just keep it all focused 2bh family.
>>
>>64344007
>haha le stupidity rules xD le i bet you are not le fun!

go back to reddit, retard
>>
>>64344113
Underrated post
>>
>>64345591
>''life experience''
>muh werk, muh crops

fuck off
>>
>>64347393
>like Sam Peckinpah
OPINION DISCARDED
>>
>>64344007
i thought you serious but then you say not! is funny!
>>
>>64347393
So Tarantino is glorifying the human ugliness? Sounds pretty patrish to me.
>>
>>64347907
But, he IS visually accomplished.
>>
>>64346856
mostly his essays and how he is regarded in the culture, though I am sure his IJ is just as bad from what I know about it. The way people drone on about him being the writer of a generation and about how he captured the meaninglessness of post modernist / late capitalist life. When it is clear to us philistines that he could not relate to the culture around him because he had been pampered his entire life. He sees everything as a big joke because he has no skin in the game. He sees a cruise, a respite from labor for most people, as infantilizing because he has never had to work a real job. I will give him credit for recognizing the dangers of irony, though for all his talk of sincerity I don't see how he acted on it. Maybe that was because he was also fucked in the head and did himself in too soon.

Intellectuals and cultural elites being out of touch has always been an issue, but this issue got extremely bad in the 20th century. A lot of things happened in the 20th century that polarized the elites from the masses and that caused elites to pathologize the masses (there are quite a few decent books on it see John Carey, history the Frankfurt school, ect). I don't have much regard for academic and modernist art that only interacts with mass society through irony or haughty disdain. DFW writing to me is all high style pretending to be substance. Intellectuals and cultural elites should have a place in society, just that they need to earn that place by doing more than just playing intellectual games. People like >>64347875 disagree, but for me the status game is hollow.
>>
>>64348172
You literally can't understand post-industrial life unless you've been pampered your entire life. If you worked a 'real job' (as if some jobs are more real) then you didn't experience what is different about this era than the previous. You might as well still be coming to terms with modernity if you're coming from the perspective of a low/lower-middle class family.
>>
>>64348172
You're a fucking idiot if you think the divide between intellectuals and the masses got worse in the 20th century. Sure there were more members of each group, but it certainly didn't get worse. A key benefit of universal education is the democritzation of the intellectual class, something that wasn't the case for most of recorded history and only happened in a post-industrial world. For fuck's sake, one of the key features of the modernist artistic movement was a deliberate return to realism and the masses after hundreds of years of elitism.
>>
>>64343934
>playfully
>play
the most overused phrase in all creative-making
>>
>>64344113
wew
>>
>>64348471
dont you fucking dare reply to me again if you are not contributing to the thread
>>
>>64347812
>>haha le stupidity rules xD le i bet you are not le fun!
but youre the one that wrote that, go back to reddit
>>
>patrician
>praising irrational man
yeah, sure brody, you are
>>
File: m.jpg (7 KB, 227x222) Image search: [Google]
m.jpg
7 KB, 227x222
>>64348278
Then there is no way he could be the voice of generation, because even today in the year of the depends most people need to work to live. A real job is one that you can not drop at anytime, because you are dependent on the income. I would go further and say that is also a job that involves solving pressing needs or producing goods, not dreaming up intellectual concepts of questionable merit. Yes some jobs are more real than others, the ones that society cannot operated without are the more real. I fail to see any understanding of life in DFW writing, all I see is someone who is unwilling to engage with it and who is using irony to justify why they are shutting it out.

>>64348278
You are clearly are ignorant if you think that is the case, the 20th is a regression. Intellectuals and elites moved the goal posts as the masses started to become educated. Modernism is not a return to realism, literary realism was around in 18th century. Post enlightenment philosophy is certainly not anti elitists. It is highly suspicious of the masses and of the values empiricism, merit, and even reason. Modernist art is mostly concepts playing on top of other concepts, that is meaningless unless one well versed in all that came before. Modernism is rejected by the masses because it does not relate to life very well.
>>
>>64343934

I don't see a problem with that since Tarantino openly goes for "playfully adolescent filmmaking".
That's his entire thing.
>>
>>64344059
I guess he means "every shot a picture".
>>
>>64349057
>Modernism is not a return to realism, literary realism was around in 18th century.
>idiot who doesn't know about the visual realism of the middle to late 19th century that is widely considered the first "modern" art movement
>>
>>64344059
He means that the images in the Hateful Eight simply illustrate the action instead of communicating visually
>>
File: no.jpg (45 KB, 631x476) Image search: [Google]
no.jpg
45 KB, 631x476
>>64349773
>visual realism of the middle to late 19th century that is widely considered the first "modern" art movement
the fuck you talking about, do you even look at paintings or even read Anglo literature?
>>
>>64345591
Have you bothered to actually read his work?
>>
>>64349057
>Modernism is rejected by the masses because it does not relate to life very well.
Can you give me any example of an artistic movement that was ever embraced wholeheartedly by the masses? Because the artistic tradition has always been relegated to the cultural elite. The Realism movement born out of the ideas of post-industrial modernism was perhaps the first artistic tradition to deliberately attempt to bring art to the masses. This was through both the subject matter and technique (scenes of everyday life rendered in a realistic way) and the new technologies (like cheap mass produced items and photography) that gave artistic expression to the masses directly.

>>64349895
Do you?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Realism_%28arts%29
>>
>>64347392
He pretty much decides, ahead of time, whether he is going to like the film or not, based on his politics and how he already feels about the filmmaker. He writes well, but I don't give his opinion much credence.
>>
>>64349933
Get out of this site Richard, it will cause trouble to you.
>>
>>64347907
Peckingpah knew how to frame a shot.
>>
>>64343934
"he forgot one thing, images images" lol what a fucking retarded line
>>
>>64350038
>frame
*down
>>
>>64349102

I think the problem is singling out Tarantino for this sort of thing. It is rampant. Why go after Tarantino for it. At least his intentions are to make a film, not a product. The vast majority of entertainment is a product, it is a thing. His is a film detached from the world, detached from how we are living today, but at least it's intention was not box office, not the opening weekend, not marketing. At the same time maybe that's worse since it becomes even more detached from us. We live in money so maybe he should embrace it, or make a film about it. Knockoff Bresson's L'Argent or something.
>>
Brody is too good for the majority of this board, especially weekend/holiday broposters.
>>
>>64348172
DUDE I'M AN ANTI-INTELLECTUAL LMAO
>>
>>64349933
DFW or Brody?

>>64349978
all sort of pop art (the real stuff, not Warhole and Lictenstein), comics, science fiction, Victorian literature, Vaudevillian theatre, ect, ect

Realism != modernism. Also did you even read that page you linked?

>>64350201
no, I am anti-pseudo intellectual. Metaphysics and mysticism is trash.
From that page and there is plenty more:
>The rigidities, conventions, and other limitations of "bourgeois realism," prompted in their turn the revolt later labeled as modernism; starting around 1900, the driving motive of modernist literature was the criticism of the 19th-century bourgeois social order and world view, which was countered with an antirationalist, antirealist and antibourgeois program
>>
>>64345591
>>64348172
On this board, it's just as bad to be an intellectual as a pseudo intellectual - the best thing it seems is to not have any kind of intellect at all.
>>
>>64350263
>DFW or Brody?
I meant Brody
>>
>>64350370
yes here and there, it is like he wants to be Ray Carney lite.
>>
>>64350263
>all sort of pop art (the real stuff, not Warhole and Lictenstein), comics, science fiction, Victorian literature, Vaudevillian theatre, ect, ect
You mean art produced in the 19th/20th century? Thanks.
>>
>>64350151
especially-especially the "cool kids" who are on their last days of winter vacation
>>
>>64349892
you get an A
>>
File: TheSoundAndTheFuryCover.jpg (23 KB, 220x315) Image search: [Google]
TheSoundAndTheFuryCover.jpg
23 KB, 220x315
>>64350585
try telling your prof that comics and science fiction are modernist
>>
>>64350279
support dank memes
>>
>>64350102
underrated post
>>
>>64349057
The most ridiculous thing about this is (ie your broad misunderstanding of everything) is that post enlightenment philosophy as you call it, such as Marx, is highly suspicious of empiricism and reason precisely because it is anti-elitist, and sees them as tools for perpetuating ideologies that serve the interests of the aristocracy. Contemporary art and thinking is democratic, full of soft ontologies and the denial of any single, overarching narrative that can be used to fuel fascism or authoritarianism.

I don't know why you keep referring to the masses like there is some kind of universal class across borders with the same interests. Places where modernist art and postmodern philosophy flourished like France have more of their public interested in what is going on, while Americans have never been interested in philosophy or art. American masses don't have to bother knowing anything about art or philosophy because it trickles down through the mass culture nowadays.

Since you gave a half-hearted reference to the Frankfurt school as indicative of 20th century elitism, I'll just say that there are some like Adorno who try to preserve old European values, but there were plenty like Benjamin that embraced the emancipatory capabilities of new technologies and art forms present in the mass culture.

I suggest you keep your posturing to /pol/ and /lit/ because they are embarrassing to read anywhere else.
>>
>>64350738
But you just went against your thesis when you said that the artistic movements that were embraced by the masses were all products of the 19th/20th century. Isn't that strange when you say that the 20th century was, apparently according to you, the first time in history when intellectual artistic sensibilities were removed from that of the elite?
>>
>>64350263
Just my 2 cents here. I disagree with your take on faith and spirituality. Mysticism is absolutely valid. There's no empirical evidence - and probably there will never be one, at least not on this plane of existence - reporting the exact chemical causes of the origin of this universe. No one knows for sure what happens once we are dead either - do spirits really exist? Mysteries like this is what makes people believe in a reason to live in this world, the unknown, that unveiled mystery that might sometimes go far beyond human perception.
>>
>>64344007
This could be a new 2016 meme? 90s callbacks are so in!

NOT!
>>
>>64351094
1:44

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_olqoCwvUUo
>>
>>64348172
>I don't understand how clinical depression works

he's overrated because he killed himself.

that's really it, there's no point in analyzing him.
>>
>>64351440
If I did to a dog what DFW did to language I'd be locked away for life
>>
>>64343934
He's probably the most fedora critic, but he makes some good points.
>>
>>64350785
So you see nothing elitist about theories of false consciousness, rejection of universality, rejection of reason, and rejection of common sense? Are you honestly trying to posit that thinkers like Baudrillard, Sartre, Debord, Ellul, and Deleuze are more democratic than Mill, Smith, and Hume. Enlightenment values needed corrections, but many 20th century thinkers just muddled the water in unhelpful ways and rejected the liberal society. The Frankfurt school was not homogeneous (it would of been interesting to see how Benjamin thought would of developed and if he would of pulled a Habermas had he left Europe in time). Though its social theories and psychoanalytic theories have certainly shaped the elite and counter cultural perceptions of the masses in pretty disdainful and suspicious way.

>>64350921
modernism is specific thing, anon. Joyce, Kafka, Picasso, ect. It is outside of the popular culture.

>>64350992
if you need it personally then go for it. Though the way it is used at the group level is pretty awful to me.
>>
>>64351992
>It is outside of the popular culture.
And that is nothing new. It's happened for thousands of years and will continue to happen.
>>
>>64351440
he was extremely popular in the high ciricles before that
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.