[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Let's discuss this film. I saw it yesterday and I thought
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3
File: thedanishgirl.jpg (127 KB, 690x1024) Image search: [Google]
thedanishgirl.jpg
127 KB, 690x1024
Let's discuss this film. I saw it yesterday and I thought it was pretty good. Please validate my opinions, /tv/
>>
Cuckold
>>
I actually wouldn't bother to watch this movie because it seems like so much Oscar Bait and Boys Don't Cry already exists.

If you liked it, that's all that should really matter to you. I'd not waste the time, though.
>>
I thought it was good too desu
>>
>>64320618
You don't understand art, do you?
>>
>>64320642
What movies have you seen this year that you wouldn't consider a waste of time?
>>
>>64320600
I imagine this movie will be as remembered as "Cold as Ice" or "Spicegirls: The Movie."
>>
Without being too spoilery, do they do anything interesting after the surgery?

God I fucking hate trailers that tell you the entire plot
>>
>paying to watch tranny trash.

wew.
>>
File: thisisoscarbait.jpg (13 KB, 360x361) Image search: [Google]
thisisoscarbait.jpg
13 KB, 360x361
>>64320674

>art

You mean blatant oscar bait
>>
>In mid-1920s Copenhagen, the portrait artist Gerda Wegener (Alicia Vikander) asks her husband, popular landscape artist Einar Wegener (Eddie Redmayne), to stand in for a female model who was late to come to their flat to pose for a painting she's working on. The act of Einar posing as a female figure unmasks what turns out to be a lifelong identification on the part of Einar as a female, named Lili Elbe. This sets off a progression, first tentative and then irreversible, of leaving behind the identity as Einar, which Lili has struggled to maintain all her life. This takes place as both Lili and Gerda relocate to Paris; Gerda's portraits of Lili in her feminine state attract the kind of attention from art dealers that her previous portraiture had not. It is there that Gerda tracks down art dealer Hans Axgil (Matthias Schoenaerts), a childhood friend of Einar (Hans had been the first boy that Einar had ever kissed). Hans and Gerda's mutual attraction causes problems as she is navigating her changing relationship to Lili, but his longtime friendship and affection for Lili leads him to play a supportive role for each.

>Ultimately, Lili undergoes one of the very first instances of male to female sex reassignment surgery with the help of Dr. Warnerkos (Sebastian Koch), a two part procedure that first removes Lili's external genitalia and then, after a period of recovery, fashioning a vagina. Lili's eagerness to shed the vestiges of her male anatomy leads her to rush the sequence of procedures, and she eventually dies of complications from it. The movie ends with Gerda and Hans back in Denmark; a scarf that Lili had worn, and had given to Gerda before her second operation, is taken by the wind.

This sounds gay.
>>
>>64321178
Can't say without being extremely spoilery. Just gonna have to see it, brah ;)
>>
>>64320738
Honestly? This year? Not one.

Or, you you mean before I saw them?
>>
>>64321216
>Making a film relevant to modern social issues is automatically oscar bait
>hurr hurrr
>>
>>64321244
Bah, fine. It's playing tomorrow and I have little better to do so why not.
>>
Oh my god this board is terrible
>>
>>64321288
Are you just pretending to be retarded?
>>
>>64320600
I also liked it, OP. Redmayne and Vikander are both good, and the supporting cast is pretty strong as well. It gets a little plodding toward the end, when she slowly dies, but I don't think it has earned the enmity that most critics/viewers have heaped upon it.
>>
>>64320674
It's not art. Art exists to express the soul, not pander to the latest hot craze in order to sell tickets. All this is doing is taking a measure of the current political climate and wrapping it in art movie aesthetic.

This movie would 100% not exist if the Kardashians and by extension, their misguided patriarch exist.

A movie like Brokeback Mountain is art. It gets a pass because it wasn't released to coincide with Prop 8 or 2015's marriage reformation. The movie was widely trashed for being the gay cowboy flick by pretty much everyone because it was a decade before it was cool to be a gay ally.

A movie like The Danish Girl is trash because it intentionally coincides with the advent of Caitlyn Jenner.

Furthermore, encouraging people to undergo sex reassignment is incredibly dangerous. Feeling like you're in the wrong body is a symptom of pretty much any schizoid personality disorder on the spectrum. Super cool props for encouraging people to go into mass debt for a procedure that statistically has very little bearing on happiness and has a great spike in suicide instances thereafter. Maybe you should just deal with your problems and accept reality instead of fighting against it. Gender is not a social construct, it is a biological fact.
>>
>>64320600
Oscar bait so unappealing that even liberals disliked it
Good performance from Redmayne
, stand out performance from Vikander
>>
>>64320600
Am I missing something or is this film just about glorifying a mentally ill tranny?
>>
>>64321479
what does your heart tell you
>>
it was sad ),:
>>
File: Eddie Redmayne.webm (1 MB, 732x480) Image search: [Google]
Eddie Redmayne.webm
1 MB, 732x480
Can he do it again? It would make the Americans slightly buttflustered so it could be worth it.
>>
>>64321585
He gave a better performance than Dicaprio, that's for sure
>>
bump

Has /tv/ really not seen this?
>>
>>64321955
/tv/ would rather circlejerk over star wars memes and troll other faggots circlejerking over star wars memes. Not to mention the 2 or 3 threads in the catalog consisting of retards trying to make sense of the economic mumbo-jumbo in The Big Short
>>
>>64321585
Redmayne is the patricians choice. Not only he should two-peat, he should double nod for the gem that was the 80s S&M sting inspired villain in JA
>>
>>64321612
agreed
>>
>>64321243
>wife asks her husband to crossdress for him because somehow she couldn't find a female model. Husband puts on a dress and immediately begins having gay thoughts of transitioning. Wife is okay with this, eventually begins seeing another guy (just to keep the dumb female audience from realizing the husband essentially abandoned his wife to play out his sexual fantasies, and subsequently leaving a bad taste in their mouths because what about meeeeeee). Husband now free concludes next step is cutting off his genitalia. Said man then dies because, lets face it, transgenderism relies completely on medical science.
Nows the part where the tumblrite calls me a pleb and a tripfag.
>>
>a whole movie dedicated to a fetish I had when I was a teenager
>ruined by the main character turning out to be just a gay mentally ill faggot that actually believes he is a woman

JUST
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.