[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Lucas just took a shit on Disney
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 38
File: whathaveidone.jpg (29 KB, 534x401) Image search: [Google]
whathaveidone.jpg
29 KB, 534x401
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/george-lucas-quips-he-sold-851545

"They wanted to do a retro movie. I don't like that," the franchise's creator told Charlie Rose.

Star Wars creator George Lucas took a slight shot at The Walt Disney Company during a recent interview with Charlie Rose.

Lucas sold his space adventure franchise to Disney for $4 billion in 2012. The latest title released under the Disney moniker has already grossed more than $1 billion.

While talking to Rose about how much he loved the films he created and four of which he directed -- even calling them his "kids" -- Lucas said “I sold them to the white slavers that take these things, and…” Lucas did not finish his thought (49 minutes in to the clip below), but rather laughed before Rose moved on to another question.

Lucas went on to tell Rose he has accepted that the franchise is now in other hands, then he somewhat criticized the latest installment, The Force Awakens.

"They wanted to do a retro movie. I don't like that. Every movie, I worked very hard to make them different," Lucas told Rose. "I made them completely different -- different planets, different spaceships to make it new."

Before the deal came about, Lucas said he planned on writing and directing the sequels to his original trilogy. Then the sale occurred. Disney was not interested in his ideas for the follow-ups, so he stayed away from the production of Force Awakens, he said.

"They weren’t that keen to have me involved anyway, but if I get in there, I’m just going to cause trouble, because they’re not going to do what I want them to do. And I don’t have the control to do that anymore, and all I would do is muck everything up,” he said. “And so I said, ‘OK, I will go my way, and I’ll let them go their way.’”
>>
>>64286399

What a fucking infant.

I bet he wasn't complaining when he was banking the 4 billion dollars they gave him.

Lucas is a fucking hack. He's just mad disney have made a better film than he did
>>
its ok 1-6 are the only SW movies anyways

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7ZW1gtCljs
>>
I would argue the blowing up "not-coruscant" (it's baltantly coruscant) was a clear "fuck you" to George Lucas as well and was supposed to signify the "prequel trilogy" is dead.
>>
>"They wanted to do a retro movie. I don't like that. Every movie, I worked very hard to make them different," Lucas told Rose. "I made them completely different -- different planets, different spaceships to make it new."

I understand why Disney wanted to ground it before branching out, after George misfired with the prequels, I think it was a smart choice, but I'd love it if they'd involve him more when it comes to designing shit and general worldbuilding from now on.
>>
>>64286465
i'm reading about the ring theory, George Lucas is a genius but not a great director.

http://www.starwarsringtheory.com/ring-composition-chiasmus-hidden-artistry-star-wars-prequels/
>>
>>64286399

He's not wrong. Disney's going to keep giving us rehashed films because that's the only thing this dumbed-down society will respond to.
>>
>>64286461
He was already rich when he made the deal and can afford to say anything he wants.
>>
>>64286461
He donated ALL of it. Think before you type
>>
>>64286465
I don't think Disney cares if you call their film glorified fan-fiction. They got their money.
>>
>could've let his art lay to rest once and for all
>could've released it to the public domain to let others work on and improve his life's work
>nah, fuck it, I'll take the $4 billion

He made his bed
>>
He's right. Star Wars as we know it is finished.

Enjoy your annual Marvelized reddit tier meme flicks.
>>
>>64286520
Except it wasn't Coruscant. If they wanted it to be it could have been, but it was Hosnian prime
>>
>spent so much time designing aliens and ships he couldnt make a halfway decent film
>>
>>64286689

At least he gave us better looking ships and aliens than fucking Disney.
>>
>>64286461
If he had any artistic vision he wouldn't have sold the rights. He's just mad people like the film more than his.

Yeah, he tried to do something new every time, but that doesn't matter if people don't like it.
>>
How much money did George had before the deal?
>>
>white slavers
>most slavers were africans
>>
All he had to do is make the entire franchise Creative Commons allowing everyone to shit out star wars movies ad infinitum so /tv/ has something to rate
>>
>>64286461
hello reddit!
>>
>>64286609
>>64286465
this doesn't excuse the poor script, shitty direction, awful acting or the overreliance on cgi
>>
>>64286689

He doesn't even design the shit. He has very loose notes then throws them to a bullpen of concept artists who end up making multiple, very different characters and Lucas just goes with whatever looks coolest.

Lucas is the "ideas guy" who would always come up to you in high school when he found out you could draw/play music/write.
>>
Well he isn"t wrong on the retro part. But at least I could watch that movie without wanting to take a nap or kill myself.

There's one additional dimension to the prequels now that the dust has settled: they're fucking ugly. The sheer amount of CG in every scene made it age like vinegar. Nowadays it looks like a bad cartoon.
>>
>>64286664
I'll take that over the prequels.
>>
File: 1294780291168.gif (603 KB, 186x179) Image search: [Google]
1294780291168.gif
603 KB, 186x179
>>64286399

Its okay for Lucas to do a retro movie, but not okay when someone else does it? No one told him Attack of the Clones was a good title. Fucking nobody.
>>
>>64286461
can't tell if bait

it probably isn't, considering the influx of millennial redditors that didn't even watch a star wars movie until the big bang theory told them it was hip and mainstream
>>
>>64286686
The same way "not tatooine" was clearly Tatooine?

It was fucking Coruscant, the senate was just moved to another 100% city planet?

Either way anyone who watched the movie and doesn't read some novelization bullshit saw it as Coruscant, it was a clear fuck you to the prequels and Lucas.
>>
>>64286461
>He's just mad disney have made a better film than he did

Your reply is here
>>
>>64286728
>If he had any artistic vision he wouldn't have sold the rights. He's just mad people like the film more than his.
>didn't even watch the interview
he said he wanted to do the sequel trilogy but it would take over 10 years to do, and considering his age he didn't want to croak in the middle of it

eat shit plebbitor
>>
>>64286827

Way to miss the point numbnuts.
>>
>>64286609
this isn't a theory. the pottery meme comes from a moment in a behind the scenes of the prequels where he lays out how Phantom Menace is going to reflect A New Hope, "it's like poetry, it rhymes". this was literally his approach to the prequels. it's not genius, it's a basic structure
>>
>>64286873
Of course I didn't watch the interview you fucking loser. I saw the movie and now I'm done with Star Wars.

Get a life, kek
>>
>>64286856
>>64286520

Wait until they introduce Nar Shaddaa in ep VIII
>>
George Lucas is not the problem
it's the fans
>>
>>64286399

White slavers? This guy is a fucking loon. Time to just become a recluse down at Skywalker Ranch. The interview circuit is over, George.
>>
>>64286646
Doesn't change that he sold it. It's not like someone forced him to. It was his own fucking choice and he has to live up to that and not whine to some journalist.
>>
>>64286533
>I understand why Disney wanted to ground it before branching out
Agreed but the movie didn't have to be 85% A New Hope. It could've been far less, still have been similar enough to the OT to not piss off the very vocal prequel-hating portion of the fanbase, and actually been a sort of original movie.

There was absolutely no reason for a Rebell-er I mean Resistance soldier to give super-important plans to a droid, only for that droid to wander a desert planet before getting into trouble with a scavanger type only to be saved the the hero of the series, and for a death starkiller planet be destroyed by pilots after Han Solo lowered the shields (though that part is admittedly ROTJ)
>>
>>64286887

The point is Lucas thinks every one of his movies is his original special snowflake donut steel IP, so Disney decides to start the franchise comeback with something familiar and Lucas decides to call them slavers.
>>
>>64286461
not better then the original 3 movies for sure.

I would have rather watch his version then a rehash of Episode 4
>>
A Lucus penned/directed sequel > What disney has passed off as Star Wars
>>
File: lkl1ydf.jpg (360 KB, 1024x1517) Image search: [Google]
lkl1ydf.jpg
360 KB, 1024x1517
>>64286726
THATS ALL YOU NEED FOR A MOVIE

COOL SPACESHIPS
>>
>>64286909
>now I'm done with Star Wars
>but im still going to shitpost about it on 4chan before telling my mom how hard i owned some guys online who are talking about star wars XD
enjoy that lifelong virginity kiddo
>>
>>64286954

http://www.onesixthwarriors.com/forum/loose-bits-off-topic/217646-why-do-star-wars-fans-hate-star-wars.html

I agree.
>>
>>64286399
Just saw it today.

Fucking. Terrible.
>>
>>64286962
In all fairness to George, Rose set him up for that and George stopped talking once he realized what he was saying
>>
>>64287009
i dont know how much they are paying you, but i'll double it, if you just go.
>>
>>64287009
>so Disney decides to start the franchise comeback with something familiar
>something familiar
that's an interesting way of spelling 'an exact copy'
>>
>>64287034

Well it sure isn't working for Disney, is it? Hey let's just reuse everything, perfect, done!
>>
>>64286999

>Agreed but the movie didn't have to be 85% A New Hope.

ANH was 1977. Its been almost five decades since we've had an ANH-like movie (Spaceballs doesn't count). If it wasn't a Star Wars movie, /tv/ would be praising it like it was sci-fi Drive.
>>
The masses don't care. They don't know what Star Wars actually is, just that it's popular and has cute robots and saber fights and shit. Disney will make their money. GG Lucas.
>>
>>64286664

Nothing can be worse than prequels.
>>
>>64286735
He probably wanted to say Jews.
>>
The prequels were fucking shit and you know it
>>
>>64286802
Found the redditor.
>>
>>64286399
We forgive you George.
>>
>>64286781

You just described almost every movie director in existence
>>
>>64286873

He flip-flopped back and forth between "I'm doing them" to "there is no episode vii." He constantly goes back on his word and that to me screams he's a bullshitter. He's not the visionary genius he wants us to think he is and other people making his work a critical success is something his ego can't handle.
>>
>>64287042
Care to share why?
>>
>>64287090
Yes, your taste.
>>
>>64287100

hello reddit
>>
File: 1412651113110s.jpg (12 KB, 250x247) Image search: [Google]
1412651113110s.jpg
12 KB, 250x247
>>64286461
> He's just mad disney have made a better film than he did
>>
>>64287110

Red Tails took more urgency than Episode VII. Fucking Red Tails.
>>
File: 1451278053216.png (743 KB, 1062x1166) Image search: [Google]
1451278053216.png
743 KB, 1062x1166
The prequels were much better written, they had actual characters and story, not a bunch of memes and one-liners that lack any emotion or coherence. Luke is a cliched everyboy "hero" that goes through an absurdly rapid transformation between the fifth and the sixth episodes. Anakin's emotional instability and his exposure as a psychopath are gripping; and his doomed relationship with Padme is touching. In the "original trilogy" Han, Leia, Darth Vader and Obi Wan are complete meme characters, nothing about them is remotely believable or human. And why doesn't anyone care about deaths in those movies? Leia's planet destruction, Luke's stepparents' death, all of the blown up rebels--the list could go on--all the deaths are forgotten moments later.

As for direction, the movies from the "original trilogy" were mostly incoherent, badly edited and full of logical problems. The prequel trilogy is a work of a "vulgar auteur".

I feel neutral about the series overall, and honestly don't care about trolling or contrarianism. Here are my sincere rankings:

1. "Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones"
2. "Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace"
3. "Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith"
4. "Star Wars"
5. "The Empire Strikes Back"
6. "Return of the Jedi"
8. "The Force Awakens"

Episode 7 isn't even a Star Wars movies. It is a Marvel flick masquerading as one.
>>
File: IAt9wjT.jpg (40 KB, 500x534) Image search: [Google]
IAt9wjT.jpg
40 KB, 500x534
>>
>>64287177
Nice b8 m8
>>
>>64287026
No, not directed. Lucas has good ideas that need to be refined. It's a meme because it's true
>>
>>64287084
Except dozens of millions of people have A New Hope fresh in their mind. If it wasn't a Star Wars movie whoever made it would have been 100% sued.
>>
>paying to see meme wars when you can wait until its on netflix for free

>not paying for hateful 8 70mm roadshow experience instead

lol
>>
>>64287206
>good ideas

>clone wars are all clone of boba fetts dad
>>
>>64286461
>I bet he wasn't complaining when he was banking the 4 billion dollars they gave him.
He donated all of it to educational charity senpai.
>>
>>64287078
fucking this

And the worst thing all the fanboys praise this movie (Jeremy Jahns and Chris Stuckmann, you disappointed me)

I bet in future more sequels will go this way: copy paste from older movie and change it a bit
>>
>>64287110
>critical success
>literally copy something made by George 40 years ago with no originality
whatever you say
>>
>>64287177
>Jarjar is not a meme character
>>
>>64286399
>retro
that's a weird way of saying not complete shit
>>
Episode 7 is kinda like the new Terminator film

they're like professionally made fan projects that try too hard to pay homage to the source content rather than try and be their own thing that compliments the original stuff
>>
File: image.jpg (113 KB, 463x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
113 KB, 463x500
Thought provoking stuff here.

In the first half of the 1600s, Barbary corsairs - pirates from the Barbary Coast of North Africa, authorised by their governments to attack the shipping of Christian countries - ranged all around Britain's shores. In their lanteen-rigged xebecs (a type of ship) and oared galleys, they grabbed ships and sailors, and sold the sailors into slavery. Admiralty records show that during this time the corsairs plundered British shipping pretty much at will, taking no fewer than 466 vessels between 1609 and 1616, and 27 more vessels from near Plymouth in 1625. As 18th-century historian Joseph Morgan put it, 'this I take to be the Time when those Corsairs were in their Zenith'.

Unfortunately, it was hardly the end of them, even then. Morgan also noted that he had a '...List, printed in London in 1682' of 160 British ships captured by Algerians between 1677 and 1680. Considering what the number of sailors who were taken with each ship was likely to have been, these examples translate into a probable 7,000 to 9,000 able-bodied British men and women taken into slavery in those years.
>>
File: 1276768426237.gif (3 MB, 319x239) Image search: [Google]
1276768426237.gif
3 MB, 319x239
>>64287229

>dozens of millions of nerds
>>
George Lucas is the reason Hollywood moved away from making films for adults and HE'S telling you that the industry is in arrested development.

Lucas was shilling toys with his prequels but at least there was some creativity involved.

You can feel the lack of new ideas in this new film.
>>
Disney is where your series go to die.
>>
File: at last I truly see.png (33 KB, 255x216) Image search: [Google]
at last I truly see.png
33 KB, 255x216
>>64286465

At last, I truly see.
>>
File: 13246448012.png (11 KB, 750x750) Image search: [Google]
13246448012.png
11 KB, 750x750
I'm sorry, George.........
>>
>>64287240
>all the fanboys praise this movie
famous faggots that don't have the balls to say anything bad about the movie don't really count - they refuse to rightfully shit on the movie just because it makes cuntloads of money (which would've happened even if the movie was terrible, see episode 1) and had a female lead plus a black secondary lead, plus all the fucking HYPE disney tried to sell

Most people that I know, who are ACTUAL star wars fans have the same complaints I do. Some at first said the movie was 'great' (to my disappointment in my friends), but as time passed all of them have realized 1) rey was a terrible mary sue and 2) copying the shit out of a new hope doesn't make it a good movie.
>>
File: smelly.jpg (12 KB, 269x200) Image search: [Google]
smelly.jpg
12 KB, 269x200
>>
>>64287232
His ideas were good enough for JJ.
>>
>>64287231
Tarantino hasn't made a good film since the 90s. Fuck off.
>>
>>64287038
I haven't shitposted once, actually.

And we're supposed to discuss movies here. It's the point of the board. Doesn't mean I'm going to meticulously read interviews from a disgraced filmmaker of children's movies. kek
>>
>>64287330
>the average person can't remember the original star wars movie
just because you're too much of a fucking retard to remember the very obvious and simple plot from a new hope doesn't mean the rest of the world is like you.
>>
File: oceanofsheep.png (23 KB, 802x173) Image search: [Google]
oceanofsheep.png
23 KB, 802x173
>>64287392
Reminder that the real Star Wars fans are the ones who hate TFA
>>
>>64286533
He literally took Couruscant and its details [name, appearance, floored layout, etc] from Timothy Zahn's "Heir to the Empire" Star Wars Legends [EU] novel.

He really isn't that creative.
>>
>>64287403
shut the fuck up you big smelly dummy
>>
My favorite behind the scenes is a scene of George playing with the scenario, a lot of green screen around, tons of people around him drawing and wearing outfits, and then he says:

>I better start writing the script soon
>>
>>64287426
>le condescending fedora meme
like I said, enjoy that lifelong virginity, you've earned it
>>
>>64287403
big smelly dummy
>>
>I don't like retro
>[unnecessary scene in Dexter Jettster's 50's space diner intensifies]
>>
>>64287409
>implying you'd know if he made a good film now
>>
>>64286399
>different spaceships to make it new

I didn't care for the new spaceship designs 2bh, they too sleek and shiny and aerodynamic
>>
>>64287326
Compared to Catholic Europe, Protestant states could be lax and disorganised in freeing their subjects. Thousands of Dutch, Germans and British 'languished for years in the chains of Barbary,' without the aid of organised clergy or state funds for their release. England set aside its 'Algerian Duty' from customs income to finance redemptions, but much of this was diverted to other uses. Large-scale ransomings - like the one headed by Edmund Casson that freed 244 men, women, and children in 1646 - were rare, with the result that Protestant Britons were often more demoralised and likely to die in captivity than European Catholics. As one ex-slave noted:

'All of the nations made some shift to live, save only the English, who it seems are not so shiftful as others, and... have no great kindness one for another. The winter I was in [captivity], I observ'd there died above twenty of them out of pure want.'
>>
>>64286948

I want Twi'Lek orgy parties.
>>
>>64286967
He has every right criticize what they did just as much as you have a right to criticize him you adolescent twat.
>>
File: lucasmistake.jpg (93 KB, 888x487) Image search: [Google]
lucasmistake.jpg
93 KB, 888x487
>>64286399
>>
>>64287177
Why exactly is Attack of the Clones at the top of your list?
>>64287196
I don't think it's b8
>>
>>64287334

>creativity
>Vietnamese teddy bears
>runaway corporations
>9/11 falseflagging operation to jumpstart the defense industry
>first invaded nation was a desert shithole
>order 666
>Chancellor becomes literally Space Hitler
>Padme is Lucas' self insert
>>Padme dies of a broken heart over Anakin
>>>George suffers a broken heart over "the fans"

I'm sure I'm forgetting some stuff
>>
>>64287464
>PEOPLE HAVE DOUBLE STANDARDS AND WON'T ADMIT IT

Wow what a revelation!
>>
>>64287474
Yes because Coruscant is such an original concept
>>
>>64287485
Fedora? What?

I don't even know what you're referencing at this point.
>>
>>64287580
Replace "trash" with "soap opera for kids"
>>
A retro movie was required to show that Starwars can still hold some magic after those disastrous prequels.

I liked the Phantom Menace and Rots as movies but they didn't have any of the charm IV-VI had. The universe was way too small because he planned poorly and wasted an entire movie (AotC)

All the ideas that came out of that film hurt the Star Wars universe. Even though the animated series were very good, I really wish they would have just gone with conscripted troopers instead of clones, that's just a dehumanizing element that wasn't needed. I don't care what old Ben said--they should have thrown that clone army idea in the garbage.
>>
>>64287483
he already knew the story he wanted at that point though. he just hadn't written it out in screenplay form.

not saying he didn't make a HUGE mistake, just that he wasn't literally going off to start from a totally blank canvass.
>>
>>64287474
>>64287615

Coruscant is basically Cybertron except fully colonized by humanoids instead of robots
>>
>>64287274

Doesn't change facts, the general public loves it. Doesn't matter that Avatar beat it's lifetime gross (because it was shoved in every third hole shit hut, oh wow, literally no one talks about that garbage movie anymore and there's zero sequel interest), the movie is 95% on RT and Disney has already broken a few records with it.

But keep grasping at straws, by all means.
>>
>>64287464
>Real fans and Not real fans
>Fans have to have a hivemind opinion on the films or else they arent real fans
I hate these fans they aren't true fans
>>
>>64286662
>>nah, fuck it, I'll take the $4 billion
>oh and donate it all away, because $$$ amirite

do some research, nerd.

Ol George might have lost it, but his shit was still better than the soulless abormination that came from Jarjar Abrams
>>
He's right. Apart from the second death star, he always did something new in his movies. The Force Awakens has nothing new, even the brainwashed prequel haters have to admit that it had those at least had originality while this one had none.
>>
>>64287493
that isn't what he meant by retro.

he was using more diplomatic language to say that Disney wanted to just copy the old movies and he didn't.
>>
>>64287583
>Why exactly is Attack of the Clones at the top of your list?
I already mentioned this partially.

>Anakin's emotional instability and his exposure as a psychopath are gripping; and his doomed relationship with Padme is touching

also
>dooku
>seismic charges
>world design (kamino, geonosis)
>final jedi battle

Just a few things off the top of my head.
>>
>>64287683
popular =/= good
>>
>>64287403
Who gives a shit about JJ you big smelly dummy
>>
>>64287683
>the general public loves it
isn't the audience like 70% male with an average age of 34?
>>
>>64287657
>and wasted an entire movie (AotC)
Two movies. TPM, while not THAT bad, has no real reason to exist.
>>
>>64286399
>company ran by Jews
>white slavers

Nice deflection there, brah
>>
>>64287683

The general public will hate TFA in a couple of months.
>>
>>64286533
>cowardice is good
>>
>>64287746
>>64287492
>>64287477
>>64287394
/tv/ - Television and Film
>>
>>64287693
>Ol George might have lost it, but his shit was still better than the soulless abomination that came from Jarjar Abrams

No it wasn't.

I have no idea where this "soulless" critique is coming from. It's derivative, sure; but that's because they were trying to recapture the magic of ANH. There's quite a lot of heart and charm in the film actually. The problem is one of originality, not sincerity.

You can legitimately dislike the film without falling into buzzwords and meme-praise for the prequels.
>>
here's the full interview http://www.charlierose.com/watch/60665244
>>
>>64286399
George Lucas got shit for a decades for his work in the prequels, then he finally gives the series to a new director just to see how they ripoff A new Hope.

He is right.
>>
File: this.png (40 KB, 392x200) Image search: [Google]
this.png
40 KB, 392x200
>>64286948

>that old Hispanic guy they confirmed as the new villain of 8 is an Imperial admiral

>First Order makes new allegiance with some hardliner Imperial officers to start a new war, now that the Republic has been weakened by the Starkiller blast

>Resistance has to get help from Hutt Space to combat the increased enemy numbers

>Lando is in Nar Shaddaa, of course

>Huge Space Battle over Nal Hutta between Imperial/Order and Resistance/Hutts/Pirates.
>>
>>64287683
>and Disney has already broken a few records with it.
>But keep grasping at straws, by all means.
yeah phantom menace didn't do that

but keep grasping at straws, by all means
>>
>>64287657

That's the thing, clones pre-prequels were assumed (and eluded to by extended universe novels) to just be some weird alien clones. Lucas made them proto-storm troopers because he's a lazy writer, who once again shows how creatively desolate his mind is.
>>
>>64287770
He can't say it openly so he says the next best thing that the general youth recognizes as having the role jewd actually occupy.
It's pottery
>>
He can't handle that his repuatation as a director is shit, even among the shittiest of them.

I don't think Harrison Ford liked him much. I don't think he would have come back if Lucas was directing.

Even Anthony Daniels [C-3P0] stated Lucas was "a challenge to work with" in an interview.
>>
>>64287778
This

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSaaa_OBkzw
>>
>>64287766
That was nearer to release its equalling out now. Thats the demographic that went to see the premiere or near to the premiere
>>
File: 1449528889421.gif (107 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1449528889421.gif
107 KB, 300x300
He says he is gonna work on some artsy shit. Can we expect powerful memes?

"These are little tiny movies...I'm going back to where 'American Graffiti' or 'THX [1138],' where I can completely change the way you tell a story in using cinema. I produced a few films that were like this, but they weren't like what I would do. I've been fascinated with the true nature of the medium - it's been used more as a recording medium, than as a art form unto itself. they call them tone poems - in the beginning in Russia, this was a whole movement of: how do you tell visual stories, basically without dialogue, without all the things you use to tell a story, and you just use the film itself. It's kind of esoteric, it hasn't come much further in one hundred years. I'm going to try and take it into something that is more emotionally powerful than most of the stuff we've done up to this point."
>>
File: 1451437861842.jpg (379 KB, 1111x597) Image search: [Google]
1451437861842.jpg
379 KB, 1111x597
>i sold my child to white slavers
Whens redtails 2 george
>>
>>64286461

The only part that's better is the use of practical sets over CGI

The rest is a bullshit remake of his shit
>>
>>64287403
Look at this big smelly dummy
>>
>>64287778

Forget. Much like Avatar. It had no staying power.

Star Wars fans won't ever look at their shelf and pop it back into the blu ray player when they're thinking about watching a Star Wars movie again, it'll collect as much dust as Attack of the Clones.
>>
>>64287796
are you serious? Jar jar copy pasted almost every plot point from Episode 4. Where is the heart?
>>
>>64287833
Doesnt Anthony Daniels bitch about everyone though
>>
>>64287857
m8 I'm planning on rewatching Rey's scenes erryday when it hits bluray
>>
>>64287879
don't bother, any criticism will be discarded as "memes" and "buzzwords".

Force Awakens is nothing but the re-animated, rotting husk of nostalgia.
>>
He's right though. I just watched Ep. IV and it's the fucking same thing as VII. Almost scene by scene.
>>
>>64287906

That's cause you're an anime waifu loving cuck and not really a Star Wars fan
>>
>>64287796
It was churned out by Disney and is being rushed just to make money. And they didn't 'play it safe' by being derivative of A New Hope. They completely fucking copied it.

You can legitimately like Force Awakens like a fucking mindless 8 year old without falling into buzzwords and meme-praise for it (there's heart and charm! th-they recaptured the magic, they didnt copy it!)

just go back to fucking reddit you whiny hipster
>>
>>64286609
>Oh the prequel trilogy used the heroes' journey just like the original trilogy. Clearly this was meant to create a symbolic link between the two.

OR MAYBE THE HEROES' JOURNEY IS ONE OF THE BASIC FUCKING ELEMENTS OF NARRATIVE?
>>
>>64287403

BIG
>>
>>64287831
>he should've just copied extended universe novels
>explaining the basis of the imperial army is bad lazy writing

Your pottery levels are low.
>>
>>64287935
>Force Awakens is nothing but the re-animated, rotting husk of nostalgia.'
Which is sadly still better than the prequels. This shit isn't rocket science. How George fucked it up so bad is an indication of some sort of mental retardation.
>>
>>64287892
Not just him.

Hamil felt it too, and said such in interviews.
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/George-Lucas-Apparently-Wasn-t-Telling-His-Star-Wars-Actors-How-Their-Characters-Felt-69769.html
>>
>>64287879
In the characters, the humor, the majesty, the tone, the set pieces, etc. Making allusions to ANH has nothing to do with lacking heart. It's an issue of lacking creativity. Two different things.

JJ clearly loves SW.
>>
File: TK-racks-his-gun1.png (3 MB, 2560x1600) Image search: [Google]
TK-racks-his-gun1.png
3 MB, 2560x1600
>>64286399

> “I sold them to the white slavers that take these things, and....''

>Jews
>White

When will this meme end?
>>
>>64287984
>Which is sadly still better than the prequels

Saying this doesn't mean it was good or even passable.
>>
>>64287946
maybe.
>>
>http://www.charlierose.com/watch/60665244
The Charlie Rose interview was pretty interesting, putting aside his flaws and mistakes Lucas is actually a rather intelligent guy. Its too bad he was full of yes men during production of the prequels, then again hes a control freak and probably wouldn't have it any other way.
I do agree with his criticism of TFA being too retro. Thats what alot of people wanted and criticized the prequels for lacking so Disney naturally spoonfed the mass public what they wanted. As much as the prequels sucked they did expand the universe with more understanding about the history of the Jedi and the political structure of the Republic and how all the different worlds and races come together - or don't. If it was just done a little bit better or differently...
but I agree with the idea of making each trilogy different, to expand the SW universe and change perspectives. Interviews he did decades ago about the next series after ROTJ being about "passing the torch" for the new Jedi order in a post Empire galaxy to me sounded alot more interesting then having the same fight more or less with the Resistance and First Order. I know the EU kinda did that with a shattered Empire vs. New Republic but the Empire was complete gone by 30 years, rather then TFA having the same fight and fucking Snoke and Knights of Ren.
>>
>>64287984

Nope. ROTS is legitimately better than TFA.

>UNLIMITED POWER
>>
>>64287906
>having a pleb waifu
>having a slut waifu
>>
>>64287935
>don't bother, any criticism will be discarded as "memes" and "buzzwords".

I don't even like the film, moron.

If you don't want to be accused of memeposting, stop memeposting.
>>
>>64288008
If he said jews openly he'd end up showing dead after an "od"
>>
>>64287984
My theory is that many of the great talents of that time legitimately acquired brain damage from all the drugs they did. It would explain quite a few things. George did in fact once have actual talent.
>>
>>64287956
SMELLY
>>
>>64288002

>TFA
>characters

>TFA
>heart

>TFA
>set pieces

lmfao
>>
>>64287879
>replying to the nigger namefag
There lies your first mistake, anon.
>>
>>64286646

>Donated it all to charity

Get a brain moron, he will have claimed most of it back on his taxes, thats how the rich operate now.
>>
So if Stephen King bought the rights to Tolkiens Hobbit works (world) and wrote a new novel it should be considered a real part of the Hobbit series?
>>
>>64288002
i more think its an cold calculation:

"How much `old Star Wars` can we put in this to get nostalgic feeling from the Star Wars fans to get as much shekels as possible
>>
>>64288109
Legally, yes.

Emotionally, it's subjective.
>>
>>64286465
Ok the 1:38 scene is bretty good

HOWEVER

Just copying your old work isn't really a big achievement, most of it isn't really more than just "look its the same shot from the old movie",

C3PO's head falling off the same way as in Empire won't make Lucas a genius
>>
I'm just glad that we can all agree that the new stars AND prequals are all shit and we can finally end these threads once and for all.
>>
>>64287950
>You can legitimately like Force Awakens like a fucking mindless 8 year old without falling into buzzwords and meme-praise for it (there's heart and charm! th-they recaptured the magic, they didnt copy it!)

Nice baseless insult, but I don't actually like TFA. I thought it was far too similar to ANH to get emotionally connected to anything outside of Finn and Kylo.

I'm just saying, the movie isn't "soulless" because it's a soft reboot of an older movie. That's just the movie they set out to make. In terms of the movie itself, there was obviously quite a bit of heart behind it.
>>
I have about as much respect for The Force Awakens as I do for the dog shit on my shoe.

It is reddit, it is capeshit, it is cheeto dust, it is video games. It's nothing more than memes enjoyed by simplistic pledditors. I have ZERO respect for people who are not free thinkers and blindly enjoy the reddit memes that comprise Cuck Wars: The Search for More Money.

I'm literally screaming, slamming my arms on my desk right now just thinking about it.
>>
>>64288036
You need to watch it again, you'll realize you're wrong.
>>
>>64288152
> obviously quite a bit of heart behind it.

ya nah, heart is exactly what this movie DOESN'T have.
>>
>>64288086
Good argument.

>>64288116
I think Disney made a conscious decision trying to recapture the magic by emulating the original as much as possible. I don't know, I guess we're saying the same thing.
>>
File: 1450765532529.jpg (72 KB, 709x765) Image search: [Google]
1450765532529.jpg
72 KB, 709x765
>>64288109
>So if Stephen King bought the rights to Tolkiens Hobbit works (world) and wrote a new novel it should be considered a real part of the Hobbit series?

If that ever happened I would blow my brains out.
>>
>>64288105
I hope this is bait
>>
>>64286399
>. "I made them completely different -- different planets
Tantooine shows up in every single Star Wars movie except the one Lucas had the least influence on.
>>
>>64288198
If your basis for that opinion is, "it's too similar to ANH!" then you don't know what heart is.
>>
>>64288152
everything from the Star Wars EU/Legends (books, games) have more heart/soul then TFA. They tried to expand the Star Wars universe with more planets, stories, legends, weapons etc
>>
>>64288226
So renaming tatooine makes it original?
>>
>>64288183

I don't think TFA has anything as memorable as Sheev or Obi-wan's performance. Most of all ROTS had new ideas and expanded the lore. TFA is boring, unoriginal garbage.
>>
>>64288203
it's not emulating its copy paste. It has way too many plot points from New Hope
>>
>>64288226
Excluding Naboo he took most of the planets and similar ideas from the EU novels. Including the capital Coruscant.
>>
>>64286399
>retro

He is talking about "white slavers" era. He is talking in progressive terms. You understand that, /tv/?
>>
>>64288267
That's worldbuilding, not heart.

We're really talking in circles here.
>>
>>64288274
Jakku is a much bigger shithole than Tatooine, it has its own character. Tatooine is a small town in the middle of nowhere, Jakku is a trailer park full of methheads.
>>
>>64287831
He's the lazy writer? Subverting expectations is now lazy? I bet you looooooove TFA.
>>
>>64288302
The biggest problem with TFA other than the fact that the story isn't original is that there's absolutely nothing memorable about it. The prequels weren't good but they still had a lot of cool memorable scenes.
>>
>>64288183
not everyone judges movies the same way you judge the paint job on a car, anon.
>>
>>64288302
>At least he didn't completely take a planet's purpose, concept, structure, name, and basis behind how the governments and religions in his fictional universe worked and not credit the Nebula award winning author [what writing awards has Lucas won?] who came up with all of it.

Keep living the dream, man.
>>
>>64288307
I agree, I just don't think that's what makes a movie "soulless". I see a soulless movie as one where a writer or director simply doesn't care.

This is more a case of Disney wanting to make a movie that is virtually the same as ANH, and you not wanting that. The actual film itself seems to have as much passion behind it as any other Abrams film.
>>
>>64288109
i would love it if that happened
>>
>>64286399
>“I sold them to the white slavers that take these things
You mean the jews, you faggot cunt?
>>
>>64288251
cute strawman. Epic.
>>
>>64287950
the prequels were made to sell toys to children

retard
>>
>>64288313
The EU only came up with the name Coruscant. The concept of an Imperial capital that was a city planet came from early ROTJ concepts which in turn were stolen from Asimov
>>
>>64288450
So was TFA.
>>
>>64288404

JJ you may want to head over to reddit
>>
>>64288366
>freezing blaster bolt isn't memorable
>traitor stormtrooper isn't memorable
>giant sith lord isn't memorable
>han dying isn't memorable
>chewie going apeshit isn't memorable
>the first instance of blood on a stormtrooper uniform isn't memorable
>the fight scene on not-endor isn't memorable
>the monster scene on the falcon (despite being stupid as fuck) isn't memorable
>>
>>64288355
He stole shit from the EU novels for the prequels [Coruscant and more] and NEVER credited their creators.
>>
>>64288404
But every Abrams film is soulless.
>>
>>64288173

I say i enjoy it to normies I work with then redpill them on not going to see ep8.

>Why bother, Rey will beat Kylo even easier than she just did in TFA with Luke Skywalker training
>I wonder what new zany superweapons of the first order are going to get blown up by Poe and Finn in ep 8.....
>You'll never see leia, luke and han in the same shot together again, it isn't really star wars is it.

They sit and think about it for a minute and then agree.
>>
File: big black vs small white.jpg (156 KB, 1920x800) Image search: [Google]
big black vs small white.jpg
156 KB, 1920x800
>>64288404
>The actual film itself seems to have as much passion behind it as any other Abrams film.
>as any other Abrams film.

that's the point.
>>
>>64288404
>The actual film itself seems to have as much passion behind it as any other Abrams film.

that's what people mean by "the writer or director doesn't care"

we are stating outright that JJ is indifferent to whether his films are good. he favors choices which preclude them from being good, and then happily lies about it, like with Khan in Star Trek 2.
>>
>>64288479
None of those things are memorable.
>>
>>64288479
>the first instance of blood on a stormtrooper uniform isn't memorable

My god that scene was horrible. Since when do Star Wars characters bleed after getting show? Man, TFA is some edgy shit!
>>
>>64286948

>Nar Shaddaa

God I hope so.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (43 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
43 KB, 1280x720
I hope Bioware will make an 3D Sat Wars movie. The bar is so low (Prequels, TFA) they can't to a worse movie
>>
>>64288507
>Trekkies will NEVER stop crying about Khan
>>
>>64288426
No, I just think you're using the term incorrectly. But I also am in no hurry to continue this circular conversation, so believe what you want.

>>64288475
You take your internet rivalry with another board very, very seriously. Is it autism?
>>
>>64288481
Sorry you didn't get the royalties you so desperately needed.
>>
>>64288451
It named it as the New Republic capital.

It also described how it had hundreds of manmade "floors" to it.

That isn't just the name.

What Asmiov work has the name Coruscant in it?

If you are talking about planets that through artificial construction and location become the capital of a galaxy, well that is common sense in any space opera.
>>
>>64288557
dont... don't underestimate bioware
>>
>>64286399
>he's more assdamaged than Marcellus Wallace
Maybe he should have made a retro movie.
>>
>>64288557
bioware cannot into good games, what chance have they with film
>>
>>64288530
Alzheimers is a struggle, hang in there anon
>>
>>64288507
>>64288504
>>64288486
You not liking Abram's films doesn't mean he isn't passionate about them, senpai.
>>
>>64288557
>Bioware
Jesus Christ, I haven't been to /v/ in years, but surely it hasn't gotten so bad Bioware is now loved and is leaking out?
>>
File: 1207943932340.jpg (23 KB, 289x334) Image search: [Google]
1207943932340.jpg
23 KB, 289x334
>>64286399
>"They wanted to do a retro movie. I don't like that. Every movie, I worked very hard to make them different," Lucas told Rose. "I made them completely different -- different planets, different spaceships to make it new."
>mfw
>>
>>64288619
You just have low standards for what you consider memorable in a movie. If you would re-watch TFA for any of those scenes you're literally a child.
>>
>>64288109
Come the fuck on nerd, that is NOT equal. Tolkien created and crafted his universe on HIS OWN, with no outside input (as far as I know).

Lucas may have came up with the ideas and directed the first movie, but that was it - THERE are several nerds behind the movies, Lucas among them
>>
>>64288557

Old Republic movie trilogy when?
>>
>>64286639
No, he's wrong. And they wouldn't have had to do that in the first place if he hadn't shit up his own legacy with trash like II in the first place. This is his fucking mess in the first place.

As for what people respond to, it's not like Star Wars was some arthouse film in the first place. It was always intended for a mass audience.

Reminder that Harrison Ford literally asked Lucas if he really wanted him to say that in response to some of the shitty dialogue that was written for him and wouldn't do another Star Wars movie until Lucas was gone.
>>
>>64288530
There's a thread about the riot trooper on here everyday you lying cuck.

>>64288536
I know, I prefer my wars bloodless and without human consequence.
>>
>>64288636
correct, the content of his films is proof enough.
>>
>>64288530
>I'm the fucking gook who didn't know what a jedi was in a previous thread, and needed the movie to explain the jedi to me

That is who you sound like.

I remember some points of movies I didn't enjoy. I remember what I hear and what I see. When I used to be a deviant and smoked weed I still managed to remember quotes and other points of the movie.

Maybe the issue is your memory. You really should get that checked.
>>
>>64288647
bioware is only ever talked positively about, when done by hired shills and bots for ad-campaigns.
>>
>>64288673
>missing the point this much

wew lad
>>
>>64288665
Nah I just don't have defective memory anon.
>>
File: 1388203722408.jpg (73 KB, 500x338) Image search: [Google]
1388203722408.jpg
73 KB, 500x338
>>64288557
>New Mass Effect director recently left EA
>mfw its because theyre changing it into a star wars Romance Sim with a save the world side quest
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 1242x1986) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 1242x1986
How long until Lucas is kill?
>>
>>64288682
>There's a thread about the riot trooper on here everyday you lying cuck.

Citing meme threads on 4chan sure back up your argument!

>>64288699
How much is Disney paying you to be so passionate about defending this movie?

>>64288754
So you don't understand what memorable means in this context? You must be a child.
>>
>>64288588
>>64288614
>>64288647

they aren't that bad, better than everything Jar Jar would come up with

>>64288675
yes (with an HK android because they are fucking awesome)
>>
>>64288353
>Jakku is a much bigger shithole than Tatooine, it has its own character

Uhh no. It's Tatooine with the name Jakku stamped on it.
>>
>>64288676
>Reminder that Harrison Ford literally asked Lucas if he really wanted him to say that in response to some of the shitty dialogue that was written for him and wouldn't do another Star Wars movie until Lucas was gone.

Harrison Fords only good roles were Indiana Jones and Han Solo, both which were created by George Lucas.

He's just an ungrateful, untalented kike whose entire career happened due to a combination of nepotism and luck.
>>
File: 57245723.png (277 KB, 590x488) Image search: [Google]
57245723.png
277 KB, 590x488
>>64288761
This is the guy making the new Mass Effect
>>
>>64286399
>Before the deal came about, Lucas said he planned on writing and directing the sequels to his original trilogy.
This is the Eurasia/East Asia of Star Wars. How many movies does George Lucas want? First it was 9 and sometimes even 12. Then it was down to 6, with maybe 9 in the future. Then it was 6 and 9 never ever existed. Now 9 could have been if it wasn't for those evil Disney guys.
>>
File: 1339990371589.gif (1023 KB, 372x348) Image search: [Google]
1339990371589.gif
1023 KB, 372x348
>>64286399
>my kids
>I sold my kids to the people who care only about money
>>
>>64288557
>>64288557
Fuck man, the original writer behind Revan was forced to write him into resurrection for an MMO. Afterwards, Karypshyn said he never wants to write games again.

Your love should be directed at Obsidian.
>>
>>64288790
>Citing meme threads on 4chan sure back up your argument!

Sure they do, there wouldn't be threads about that particular scene over others if it wasn't memorable. It's also highly-mentioned in reviews of the film.
>>
>>64288557

Bioware already allowed a Mass Effect animu and a 3DPD movie about Dragon Age.
>>
>>64288822
Then explain how it's exactly like Tatooine without using the word "desert"
>>
File: image.png (34 KB, 200x254) Image search: [Google]
image.png
34 KB, 200x254
>>64287537
>>64287326
>newsflash
He sold it to Jews, not Blacks.
>>
He also hated Empire Strikes Back.

So why the fuck should anyone give two shits about his opinion?
>>
>>64288828

Why do we allow this Persian Subversion to persist?
>>
>>64288858
>there wouldn't be threads about that particular scene over others if it wasn't memorable

The majority of people who watched TDKR remembers or cares about the plane scene and there's still threads about that.
>>
>>64288854
Karypshyn is back at Bioware, writing stuff for the new SW MMO expansion
>>
>>64288885
>Then explain how it's exactly like Tatooine without using the word "desert"

Poor people
Smugglers
Junk dealers
Imperialist strom troopers
Lawless
Has a powerful force user on it who has a mysterious past.
>>
WHAT A MARY SUE
>>
>>64288699
So you are that gook. Thought so.

No really, some dude made a thread lamenting
>Why didn't TFA tell me what exactly a Jedi was and their entire history? My GF doesn't understand.

Man, your memory must be as bad as your reading comprehension.

Sorry that even though I smoked marijuana in my past I still have better memory than you
>>
>>64288828
Probably selected by JJ himself. My Star Wars theory is correct
>>
George lucas never planned a saga. He had a team from FOX studios help him with the first movie and it was like that until return of the jedi.
>>
>>64288941
Because the plane scene was memorable. TDKR is a bad movie, but that opening sequence was very weird in the context of a fucking Batman movie. Very stupid. Very memorable.
>>
>>64288941
People spammed that Bane shit on my FB new feed.

Sorry you aren't as connected as others are.
>>
BASED GEORGE
A
S
E
D

G
E
O
R
G
E
>>
>>64288946
Why? How much money did they pay?

I write as my second employment. I know what you say is true, but why on Earth would Karpyshyn ever return? If that were my characters and works I'd never come back to that company.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 38

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.