[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was it the right decision to kill off Darth Maul in Episode 1?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 12
File: image.jpg (107 KB, 600x804) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
107 KB, 600x804
Was it the right decision to kill off Darth Maul in Episode 1?
>>
>>64280931
bait.
bait everywhere.
>>
>>64280931
Fuck no, would have made a good rival for Obi Wan
>>64281630
>Le bait xD
Back to Reddit with you
>>
>>64281700
>bait xD
>Back to Reddit with you

ITT: not one but two normies who don't know Maul never died.

Back to tumblr, faggot.
>>
>>64281878
>normies
back to reddit with you
>>
Is that Mudvayne?
>>
>>64281900
>>
He didn't die.
>>
File: Darth_maul_clone_wars.jpg (29 KB, 542x331) Image search: [Google]
Darth_maul_clone_wars.jpg
29 KB, 542x331
Ha.
>>
>>64281878

>normies

>>>/r9k/

back you go
>>
>>64281878
>m-m-uh obscure comics
Kill yourself
As far as I'm concerned he died in the movies, relying on your faggot-ass Eu isn't going make the prequels less embarrasing and wasted potential
>>
>>64282073
It's humiliating to be so bad at this isn't it?
>>
>>64281878
Extended Universe isn't canon sorry
>>
>>64282082
See >>64282040
Not EU, not comics.

Start the 4th or 5th season on Netflix, it will drop you right into Maul and explain.

I loved that Mandalore arc.

I can't believe they marketed it to kids. The 4-6 seasons got darker than any of the movies, and had no qualms killing good people.
>>
>>64282082
Disney certified canon, asshole.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Darth_Maul
>>
>>64282120
see
>>64282150
and then stop posting. I can feel the red off your face from here.
>>
File: DM-making-oxmox5.jpg (183 KB, 1350x900) Image search: [Google]
DM-making-oxmox5.jpg
183 KB, 1350x900
>Not keeping him around as a silent, hard to kill Jason Voorhees/Terminator antagonist that shows up at the worst of times and has the protagonists on the run until Anakin and/or Obi-Wan finally turn the tables on him at the end of the second or beginning of the third movie.

Wasted potential. Him being Grevious as well. Oh well, at least he came back in the Clone Wars series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEu_U78XFg4
>>
Which of the animated Star Wars shows should I watch?
>>
>>64282082
you massive faggot
>>
>>64282149
Alright but do you think it was right to leave him presumably dead during the Prequel Trilogy?
>>
>>64282082
>>64282120
not EU dipsticks, clone wars ran for 6 seasons...

how embarrassing for you
>>
Why do people like this guy so much?
He's the Boba Fett of the Sith, oh wait just answered my own question.
>>
File: check.gif (304 KB, 402x414) Image search: [Google]
check.gif
304 KB, 402x414
>>64282210
genndy tartakovsky's Clone Wars
also
>>
>Not keeping him around as a silent, hard to kill Jason Voorhees/Terminator antagonist that shows up at the worst of times and has the protagonists on the run until Anakin and/or Obi-Wan finally turn the tables on him at the end of the second or beginning of the third movie.

Fuck, that would have been amazing
>>
File: raeh.jpg (149 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
raeh.jpg
149 KB, 1024x768
>>64282120
>>64282082
>>64282073
>>64281900
>>64281700
>>64280931
ITT: pseuds don't even Aurebesh.
>>
>>64281878
Extended universe isn't canon lol.

He's dead, deal w/ it
>>
>>64280931
No, and he should not have been an apprentice, but the last sword master of his age that acting on his own completely, disconnected from Palpatine.

if he had a true role, personality and a personal story he would probably become more popular Darth Vader. Such a great design, such a poor role in the story.
>>
File: clonewars.jpg (1 MB, 1592x2556) Image search: [Google]
clonewars.jpg
1 MB, 1592x2556
>>64282195
Except they did that exact thing in Clone Wars.
>>64282210
The hand drawn as >>64282267 said and this guide. I followed it and enjoyed the series immensely, and I thought I was going to hate it and at first discounted it as childish drivel.
>>
>>64282380
Clone Wars is not extended universe. How many people have to tell you this?
>>
>>64282267
He doesn't close his eyes, remake that gif properly.
>>
>>64280931

No. George Lucas said he was shocked at Maul's popularity. It was clearly one of many mistakes on his part. You can't make a throwaway villain more interested than the main character.
>>
What's canon now?
>6 movies
>Clone Wars
>Genndy Tartakovsky cartoon?

Am I missing something?
>>
>>64282537
>George Lucas said he was shocked at Maul's popularity.

Then why the fuck did he promote him out the ass before the prequels. I remember the pre-hype, Darth Maul everywhere, the fucking face of the upcoming trilogy. He could have been something special. Instead, it was Boba all over again.
>>
>>64282702
Not to mention we got an alien as a Sith instead of boring humans
>>
>>64282702

Because he wanted to make a credible, threatening antagonist for people to give a damn about. Darth Vader was the only real antagonist anyone cared about for the entire franchise up to that point.
>>
>>64282697
6 movies
Clone Wars CG show
Rebels
Everything after the Disney buyout that's not under the Legends line

Anything not that stuff pre-Disney is non-canon. All of it. That's Legends now.
>>
>>64282324
whoops! forgot to add >>64282380
>>
File: 1449911771297.jpg (258 KB, 879x1468) Image search: [Google]
1449911771297.jpg
258 KB, 879x1468
>>64282697
Here you go. Although why people make so much fuss about what a corporate entity says on what media they should or shouldn't enjoy is beyond me.
>>
really wish TFA had a darth maul in it
>>
I still haven't heard a satisfying answer for how Anakin young or old became a Force Ghost.
>>
>>64282782
maybe he should have tried writing a threatening antagonist then. i will confess that i thought darth maul was cool when i was a little boy however. he was tailor made for little boys
>>
>>64282893

Die as a force of good, become a good force ghost.
>>
>>64282846
>mobile games are canon

How important are they and did anything interesting actually happen?
>>
>>64282893
Force Kenobi and Luke both used the force to make Anakin become a quantum aged force ghost
>>
>>64282807
I really wish they would make KOTOR canon. It doesn't affect any of the movies in a direct manner.

Not to mention they included 2 planets only mentioned in those games in their guides to TFA.
>>
>>64282807
It's nice that the Legends stuff is considered under a special line instead of simply "this should be ignored and forgotten".
>>
>>64282930

>he was tailor made for little boys

Like the rest of the movie? Lets not kid ourselves, podracing was supposed to sell NASCAR to kids.
>>
File: 23hofvljpg.gif (4 KB, 234x182) Image search: [Google]
23hofvljpg.gif
4 KB, 234x182
>>64280931
No
>>
>>64282893
I really don't know. The Clone Wars outright stated that Qui-Gon taught Yoda how to do it.

But then again, how did Obi-Wan know? And why did Qui-Gon never appear to his apprentice, but appeared to Yoda?
>>
>>64282998
It's not nice if they don't continue making Legends EU novels. It's just pointless.
>>
>>64282807

>CG cartoons are canon

This will always be upsetting
>>
>>64282782
>Make a new Darth Vader
>Don't get why people make a fuss when he kills him off in the first movie

Clone Wars series (the 3D one) wasn't even a thing until after he made the prequels, so there was no plan to reveal he wasn't dead either until a TV writer pitched the possibility.
>>
>>64282930
What is with all these people wanting every Star Wars antagonist to fit the exact same archetype and have an overreaching, immaterial evil-ness?

I enjoy seeing different challenges to the protagonist once in a while. I also enjoy movies where good vs evil isn't black and white, and neither are the characters involved.
>>
>>64282697
>Genndy Tartakovsky cartoon?

Not canon.

The love people have for this show is mind-boggling. It has absolutely no story, what possible use would it have to be canon?

"HOLY SHIT DUDE, MACE WINDU MADE LIKE 100 DROIDS GO BOOM BOOM POW SPLAT!!"

"Wow! This really changes the films for me!"

Retards.
>>
>>64283072
Well Yoda told Obi-Wan about it and had him start training at the end of ROTS. I just don't know how Anakin knew about this stuff other than wondering where the hell Obi-Wan's body went when he died.
>>
>>64281878

Fuck off with your retarded cartoon shit.
>>
>>64280931
They don't.

He lives.

It's still canon that he lives. If anything, it's more canon now that he lives, because now the Clone Wars cartoon are the same canon as the films.

And he doesn't even die in the cartoons, so he's still alive as far as anyone is concerned.
>>
>>64282993
I wouldn't mind either since it happened so incredibly long before any of the canon material began. KOTOR though, not a fan of TOR and what happened with Revan.
>>
>>64283174
>implying anything that isn't post-RotJ could change anything

they're just cartoons m8, watch 'em for fun and shut the fuck up
>>
>>64280931
it was the wrong decision to bring him back for the clone wars tv show
>>
>>64283096

Literally nobody cares. Luke was the only Jedi in Rebel Alliance. Nothing else makes any sense considering what Yoda and Obi were saying in the movies.

Cartoon shit is meaningless.
>>
>>64283096
I thought the same too, until I watched them.

I even went and saw the movie in theatre and thought this was the biggest lump of childish garbage.

But people kept telling me "it gets a helluva lot better!" I thought it was just a meme.

Turned out Season 3 onward [coincidentally when they got more writers and more money] it was wonderful. It brought up subject matter not covered in the movies, and even did shocking things that were more mature than a show marketed to kids.

It suffered from its own appearance and marketing. It is actually very good and you can tell the writers care and made active decisions that did not counter the OT and PT. You can tell fan love went into it.
>>
>>64283157
Lucas, love him or hate him, designed the Star Wars world to be black and white. I mean this is a franchise where the actual Light Side battles the actual Dark Side. He envisioned the whole thing as a black and white story. You can say it blows like a lot of stuff he did, but that's what he did.
>>
>>64282979
Probably not. Just an awful manifestation of Disney handing out Star Wars video game rights to fucking EA. Get ready for years and years of half assed, passionless, overpriced video games with built in nickel and dime dlc and in game buys.
>>
>>64283267
>Nothing else makes any sense considering what Yoda and Obi were saying in the movies.

>Kenobi: "He's our only hope" to defeat Vader.
>Yoda: "No, there is another" who can defeat Vader.

This is because only Vader's children could possibly reach him, and either kill him in a moment of weakness, or turn him. It's not because they're the only Jedis. There are other Jedis.
>>
>>64283180
How did Yoda tell Obi Wan about it?
>>
File: DeadTroll.jpg (49 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
DeadTroll.jpg
49 KB, 640x400
>>64283204
You're no daisy.
>>
>>64283288

It has always been a medieval fairy tale in space. Its not so obvious anymore because pop culture is obsessed with grimdarking all the fairy tales for the sake of being contrarian.
>>
>>64283244
Oh me either. I really feel awful for Drew Karpyshyn. Both of his franchises where he lovingly came up with the setting and characters [KOTOR and Mass Effect] were entirely ruined. Completely.
>>
>Maul survives Ep1
>Maul returns in Ep2, seemingly "brought in" by Dooku, who is reduced to a mere political figure
>Final scene has Anakin get his shit pushed in by Maul, and follows with Obi / Maul round 2.
>Revealed Dooku is force-sensitive but never received formal training
>Dooku has a brief force battle with Yoda, allowing Maul to escape; Dooku is soundly defeated but does what he does in the movie in order to escape
>Maul is killed early in Ep3 by Obi-Wan after he and Anakin get split up on the Separatist flagship
>Anakin manages to capture Dooku and kills him at Sheev's nudging
>>
>>64283334
Before they go into hiding, Yoda and Kenobi meet up. Yoda says he's been talking to Jin. Kenobi is like but he's dead and Yoda says he can help Kenobi learn about it.
>>
>they think cartoons for little kids are canon with the movies

You fags are just sad.
>>
>>64282993
By admitting the Clone Wars series into canon, they sort of did.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdSw1LqpU_s
>>
>>64283331

Literally nothing said in the movies claims anything like this. Midichlorians and Jedi powerlevels are PT shit Disney retconed.

All movies say is "we need a Jedi Knight to defeat Vader and Emperor".
>>
>>64283334
It was the scene where Yoda and Obi-Wan are with Bail Organa at the very end. Organa agrees to take Leia and Obi-Wan says he will bring Luke to his aunt and uncle and go into exile. Yoda tells him that while he is there he has training for him to do and tells him about how Qui-Gon has achieved immortality. The training will tell him how to communicate with him and from there it's pretty much assumed that he will learn from Qui-Gon.
>>
>>64283370

Fuck everyone who shits on ME1 in favor of 2 and 3.
Everyone.
>>
>>64283414
Disney specifically stated that the cartoon is one of the few non-movie things that remain canon

but good shitpost
>>
Yes, because Dooku's a good character. And Christopher Lee.
>>
>>64283414
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XghR4HMAYl0
For kids.
>>
>>64283485
The problem with Dooku is he isn't really explained and comes out of fucking nowhere unless you read the novelization. Had he been in Ep1 it would have at least made some sense. Why was he disillusioned with the Jedi? Why is he the figurehead of the Separatists? How long has he been training under Sidious? Why do I care about this old dude other than the fact it's Christopher fuckin' Lee?
>>
>>64283479
What EA did to the Mass Effect franchise should get them fucking tried in federal court.
>>
>>64283470
Midichlorians are still canon. JJ even admits it, though grudgingly. He doesn't have to have hour long scenes of Luke scouring the galaxy giving blood tests but they're not retconned.

http://www.slashfilm.com/jj-abrams-midi-chlorians/
>>
>>64283414
They got a PG rating 2nd season onward, but okay.

And it is canon. Why can you not accept this. Disney outright stated this.
http://www.techtimes.com/articles/94895/20151014/star-wars-complete-chronology-new-canon.htm

Do you think all cartoons are children, and that disconnected marketers are aware of their target audience?

The Legend of Korra suffered from this immensely. Unlike Avatar the Last Airbender, none of the main characters were under 18. There goes the empathy with someone growing up. Yet they still aired it on Nickelodeon and tried marketing to children over and over, even though statistics informed them that most of their views came from their online series player, and the ones discussing the show were in their 20s.

Many things suffer because the marketing team is so disconnected from the writers and fanbase that they have no idea how to bring attention to the right demographic.
>>
>>64283470
>movies
>only canon
No, Anon. The Rebels TV show is canon. It's equal to the movies. And the Rebels TV show clearly indicates that there are Jedi in the Rebellion.

They never say "we need a Jedi Knight to defeat Vader and the Emperor." That's you reading into it wrong.

It's clear (since there are other Jedis out there) that the reason Luke is chosen to face Vader is because he is Vader's son, and that Leia is the other because she's Vader's other child.

The movies are not the only source of information any more. The television shows are just as credible now, so we have to keep them into account.
>>
>>64283626
Yeah, they completely ousted him from the conclusion of the series. That is awful.

He had a great ending too. Heat Death and such.

Same with Revan. Forced to ressurect him to be an MMO boss? Come on.
>>
>>64283659
Yep. There thinking is "we need a Skywalker." It has nothing to do with him being "the only Jedi" (whether that's true or not is irrelevant) but more to do with the prophecy and their familial relation.
>>
>>64283174

It had no/little story because it originally started out as trying to be like Republic propaganda clips. That's why the characters' feats are so exaggerated, because that's what propaganda tends to do.

But I guess that nuance was too subtle for you.
>>
File: 1363258271609.png (307 KB, 1112x1000) Image search: [Google]
1363258271609.png
307 KB, 1112x1000
>>64283626
What EA does to other studios and the franchises they acquire with them should have gotten them tried and bankrupt many times over.
Couple that with reports on how they treat their staff and just the general way they've treated customers over the years either with their products or lack of any customer service to speak off, and you got a clear example of how unchecked capitalism isn't beneficial to the majority and how the few can continue to wreck harm on the masses and be rewarded for it, and trough something as innocent as a video game publisher at that. Stop supporting them wholesale, vote with your wallet, have your friends do the same. With any luck, Disney will buy them out sooner than later and put competents in charge.
>>
It's canon that he's still alive
>>
>>64283930
Unfortunately with the way games are, the only way for things to get better is for a slump, like the 80s.

The only consistently good games are coming from Eastern Europe. STALKER, Metro, Witcher...all are what I expect from a 21st century game.

I really want Disney to let Obsidian have a go at Star Wars again.
>>
No he should have been the villain for all the prequels
Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.