[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dredd
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 8
File: Dredd2012Poster.jpg (20 KB, 259x384) Image search: [Google]
Dredd2012Poster.jpg
20 KB, 259x384
I don't get Dredd. While the "bad guys" are definitely reprehensible, I find the judges equally disgusting: being homeless and taking drugs is illegal, and there are various scenes (for example the scene in which the rookie is forced to kill a perp who is begging for his life, and the subsequent scene in which it is revealed he had a family) which clearly paint Dredd and the justice system in a negative light. Whose side am I meant to be on?
>>
>>64268968
The Laws
>>
>>64268968

>I dont get Dredd

No, it's clear you dont get it.

>Who's side am I meant to be on

On the side of the dumb and retarded
>>
>>64268989
Yeah I get that, but my point is why give the viewer ammunition to dislike them if the intention is that they are the good guys.
>>
>>64269021
Who said they are the good guys? They are the law at its most draconic and literal.
>>
>>64269021

Because fuck criminal scum
>>
>>64269021

How can you be so utterly dumb?

Why does the fim have to feature good or bad guys?

Why do you have to pick a side?

Why can't you pick a side without the movie telling you which one?
>>
>>64269053
That's my point: how am I meant to care about the possible death of people who are morally corrupt (the law). They execute people without thinking twice. I'm ambivalent as to whether ma-ma or the judges die. The justice system is as corrupt as the criminals.
>>
>>64269148
congratulations
>>
>>64269148

Babbies first taste of facism.
>>
I can't help but feel that some of this shit would have been explored in a sequel.
>>
>>64269148
So you get the message but don't fully understand it.
>>
>>64269234
No I just don't get how you could make a whole comic series about it.
>>
>>64269148
Well done for realising the entire point of it.

Anyway, it's a world where there is massive overpopulation and rampant criminals. Their police force can't handle it, so instead they just stop doing things in half measures. Is it good? No, probably not. Is it justified and necessary? Potentially.
>>
>>64269007
This
>>
>>64268968
lmao poor people and junkies deserve to be executed on the spot, are you some kind of negroid or negroid-aligned niggerlover?
>>
>>64269148
It's set after global nuclear war, cry me a river about some hobo going to jail.
>>
>>64269298
kek
>>
>>64269148

You're dumb as shit

DUMB
>>
>>64269278
le upboat XD
>>
>>64268968

The real question is

Why are you so fucking stupid?

>Whose side am I meant to be on?

>am I meant

kill yourself my man.

Are you 12?
>>
File: Judges.jpg (511 KB, 2000x1331) Image search: [Google]
Judges.jpg
511 KB, 2000x1331
>>64268968
So glad to see the movie made you THINK OP

The movie goes to show that the city is a meatgrinder due to repeating vicious cycles of violence and dread upon people who then do the same against other people, mama is a good example, unfortunetely the only thing holding back total anarchy are Judges with their equal brutality upon those who do not live by the law.
>>
>>64268968
>>64269021

Babby has never seen a movie with a dystopian setting before? Maybe Star Wars is more up your alley. Fucking faggot
>>
>>64269252
In the 80's a lot of talented people were just beginning to see the stark future that corporate dominated democracy would bring. For them, the police were going down an increasingly worrying path militarization and fascism, and environmental concerns were tossed aside in favour of increasing profits. This, coupled with population concerns, gives rise to the dystopian world of Judge Dredd. You're not supposedto sympathize with anyone. You're supposed to think about your world and draw disturbing parallels.
>>
>>64269393

Kek he didnt THINK at all .

He THINKS the film is supposed to tell him with whom he's meant to side with

OP is stupid and probably a kid
>>
>>64269148
There doesn't always have to be a clear-cut sense of good and bad. The judges are intentionally portrayed as incredibly corrupt and morally bankrupt, of course they could make a movie with the same aesthetics and characters and portray them as being purely good, but that's kind of boring and doesn't really make any point, and they could also portray every criminal they encounter as evil and without reason to their actions, but again that would be kinda boring.

The point of Judge Dredd in a larger context is to serve as a commentary on both fascism and the idea of super cool invincible heroes, and being an adaptation of the comic, Dredd follows in those footsteps.

A character doesn't have to be a wholly just or likable person to be compelling, and if you think they do you're much better suited to Superman or Arthur the Aardvark
>>
>>64269393
For how corny it was, i loved that line

>this city's a meatgrinder! People go in one end, meat comes out the other. We just turn the handle.

Please let there be a dredd 2, in the same vein as the first, thats why it was so good, it was contained to a single building
>>
>>64269455
>For how corny it was, i loved that line
Same

>Please let there be a dredd 2
Probably never, flopped with their standards.

Appreciate it for what it is and will be, a golden gem of cinema.
>>
>>64269470
Irony: the post
>>
File: dredd-g234.webm (3 MB, 960x400) Image search: [Google]
dredd-g234.webm
3 MB, 960x400
>>
>>64269552

You're just assmad at being so utterly stupid you can't comprehend a simple film on your own and can't stand it when you're called out on it
>>
>>64269578
You're still so stupid you dont get it lel
>>
>>64269393
>tfw no matter how much power the badge gives you, it cant change the fact that you're a manlet among giants and criminal scum will probably laugh at you when you say "i-i.. am the.. the la-law.. your under arrest.. yo-you too.."
>>
>>64269660
Its a woman, not a manlet.
>>
>>64268968
did you actually watch the movie
>>
>>64269416
. For them, the police were going down an increasingly worrying path militarization and fascism, and environmental concerns were tossed aside in favour of increasing profits. This, coupled with population concerns, gives rise to the dystopian world of Judge Dredd.

That's capitalism, fascism doesn't fuck the people or the environment for short term profits, still i get what you mean.
>>
>>64268968
>I find the judges equally disgusting
You have issues with authority. Most people do until they grow up.

>being homeless and taking drugs is illegal
Vagrancy and doing drugs are illegal things today.

>the scene in which the rookie is forced to kill a perp who is begging for his life
Note how she didn't hesitate when she realized the protocol called for it. Judges are conditioned this way in-story.

>it is revealed he had a family
That he was abusive towards. Losing the guy won't present any problems considering Mega City 1 is a basic income shithole any commie would die to be a common citizen of.

>which clearly paint Dredd and the justice system in a negative light. Whose side am I meant to be on?
The side you watched the movie expecting to be on, commie. :^)
>>
Aw shit nigga Dredd thread!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-iZgkkGuME
>>
>>64269862
Very good soundtrack desu.
>>
File: Taking Jet.webm (3 MB, 1280x536) Image search: [Google]
Taking Jet.webm
3 MB, 1280x536
>>64269862
Nice, want some slow-mo?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTb97wTsK9g
>>
Wow, so you feel the emotions the movie is trying to convey? Good job you fucking retard.
>>
>>64268968
>Whose side am I meant to be on?
No one's side, the point is that both sides are brutal and perpetuate the cycle of violence. Part of the point of Judge Dredd is to make you consider whether criminal brutality justifies police brutality.

One of my favourites of the comics is about a guy getting nervous becuase he thinks Dredd is walking towards him, he runs off, and the chase escalates to the point where he gets put in jail for the rest of his life, despite being innocent at the start.
>>
>>64269760
No quite. While the police HAVE become tool of a corrupt Capitalistic system, the police themselves have begun to embody the unchecked, abusive, totalitarian, state-worship of Fascism.
>>
>>64269970
Great vid
>>
>>64268968
Jesus, people.

I want to remind all of you that OP is the same people that gave "Finding Nemo" a near 100% score on Rotten Tomatoes.

I think Fast and the Furious is more your speed, OP. You should check out the second installment. I heard they drive cars REALLY fast in it.
>>
>>64268968
No one's side. The judges are fascists, and Dredd's just carrying out his nazi duties.

Technically Dredd's the hero, but that's just because he's the protagonist.
>>
>>64270403
Yeah that part is fascism. But not the part about profit before the people
>>
>>64269148
they uphold order. pure mechanics. they crank the meat grinder.
whether they dispense justice is another matter, matter of perspective, matter of morals, matter of pragmatism, etc.
they are judges. law pushed to the extremes. condensed and stripped of bureaucracy. judge, jury, executioner.
judge dredd was a satire on the militarization of the justice system. where the movie itself lays in the counter point. where its meat grinders all the way down and they're looking for meat grinders. there is this thread of "the difference". is judge anderson worthy upholding of the justice system or worthy of upholding justice? remember they can only respond to the 6%, but which? will she be worthy? are her abilities going to uphold the justice system or justice? is she gonna make a difference? remember, She chose peachtrees.
>>
The only part of the whole movie that made no sense to me was the ending.

She lost her weapon. That's an automatic fail.

Dredd isn't in a position to make an exception. She failed.
>>
>>64268968
It's a shit movie, even the original is better movie. And the action scenes were terribad outside the Kitchen fight
>>
>>64268968
>and there are various scenes (for example the scene in which the rookie is forced to kill a perp who is begging for his life, and the subsequent scene in which it is revealed he had a family) which clearly paint Dredd and the justice system in a negative ligh

I think the point was that bad guys are people too but whatever
>>
>>64271434
THIS!
>>
File: i.jpg (16 KB, 461x190) Image search: [Google]
i.jpg
16 KB, 461x190
>>64268968
Because it is that kind of new-take-on-old-school action movies (like, for example, Taken or Raid) which feature a very skilled and professional (unlike, say, ones like in Connor in T3), yet far from undefeatable (like in most actions of 80s), focuses primarily on action and characterizing heroes through it instead of some forced dialogue, tearsqueezing backstory or shitty romance (Grudd, that moment in the elevator when Dredd patches Anderson's wounds adds more chemistry inbetween them then everything above that, and that's not the only one - take "Don't tell me, tell the control" for example). It also has that now popular theme that good guys are not necessarily good-looking guys to the point where they question their own methods but ultimately choose their duty above everything else, which is one of the main themes of classical literature and connects the with this tradition. And everything above fits very with the tone of original comic.
>>
>>64269021
Ten years in Isocubes, perp.
>>
>>64271434
>>64271782

except that he was in the position. that was the exclusive reason he was assigned her.
his final judgement on her was solely based on what she did after she had failed. she still upheld justice, not because she was a judge, but because she as a person was about justice.
she was the exception. even before she was assigned to dredd she already failed. she was the new weapon on the war on crime and she was effective.
>>
>>64269148
>morally corrupt
>Dredd
Pick one. He is going against a criminal sydicate with only a rookie Anderson by his side in the movie, and yet cares about evidensce and "cannot execute a perp on 99%".
>>
>>64268968
Looks like someone needs more time in the isocube
>>
>>64269416
This.
>B-but who can i RELATE with!
It is not cape comic, even if it looks like one.
>>
File: this is a bust.jpg (154 KB, 1257x350) Image search: [Google]
this is a bust.jpg
154 KB, 1257x350
Should be noted that MC1 is very tough on the hard drugs, OP. Dealing in the following will bring automatic 5-10 months in the cubes:

Coffee
Sugar
Umpty Candy (so delicious they had to ban it)
Bingo
Comics
>>
>>64269455
>they were literally going to show us Badlands in a sequel
>there were even plans to bring Dark Judges while keeping everything else the same
>the movie flopped burying those plans
why live
>>
>>64268968
I don't understand why tv nerdgasms over this and shit on something like man of steel. whuevaer duderinos I'm a big guy for you
>>
>>64269148

> The execute people...

No, they execute criminals.

Fuck criminals.
>>
>>64272287
because man of steal isnt superman.
>>
>>64272229
Kek'd at the image
>>
>>64268968
A dude who was in a room full or people with weapons who tried to shoot the Judges. Now he may not have pulled a trigger but he was there doing illegal things. The Judges are not meant to be the truth of justice like fucking batman. They are facist as they think that is the only way to combat crime while at the same time keeping the peace. Meaning that the fear of the judges is spread throughout the city and that they will not care what you have to say onces they made their minds up. This is the reason you see the "bad judges" show up. It shows how easily that system can be corrupted. Dreed has and always was a fascist. The judges are suppose to be trained that way. To be honest its the only thing holding the massive city together. Otherwise people would eat themselves.
>>
its a partial satire done straight
>>
>>64272052
I think they were supposed to kiss in the elevator scene but they took it out because it didn't fit
It's just as well. Romantic subplots are far too common relative to the number of people who can write shit that doesn't drag the film down with petty drama
>>
File: 1450297975985.png (70 KB, 190x190) Image search: [Google]
1450297975985.png
70 KB, 190x190
>>64272103
Never read a Judge Dredd comic have you
>>
I really wanted another Dredd.
>>
>>64273092
>I think they were supposed to kiss in the elevator scene but they took it out because it didn't fit
Well, i think that too, and the decision to remove the kiss was a great one.
>>
File: orwell's boot.jpg (84 KB, 755x324) Image search: [Google]
orwell's boot.jpg
84 KB, 755x324
>>64273092
Not this film - anything you thought was going to happen there would just have been a fake-out. Stallone's Dredd blew it in that regard. No romantic relationships for Judges. A fair few of them do seem to trip up and fall dick-first into women occasionally though.
>>
>>64268968

Everyone has a family idiot. It doesn't matter if someone gets not to be shot. They should have never done the crime in the first place.

The illegal drugs fund mum's criminal organizations. Funding criminals should always be a crime.
>>
>>64268968
Judge Dredd is satire, you nitwit. The point of Mega City is that in order to maintain order in post apocalyptic world is for the law to be enforced through a completely totalitarian fascist state via immediate, on the spot ad hoc sentencing. Judge, Jury, Executioner. The Judges are only good in the sense that they punish people who break the law. They are still fascist overlords who step on human rights on an hourly basis because made laws that enabled them to do so. Welcome to the world of moral greyness.
>>
>>64268968
>>64268968
Holy shit what a fucking pleb.
>>
>>64268968
I always thought Dredd was parody of german colonisation of africa
>>
>>64273622
Why?
>>
>>64273745
Because it portrayed how germans tried to colonise the niggers
>>
>>64272127
Dredd is morally neutral. He doesn't care about good or evil, he cares only about following the exact lettering of the law because he believes it to be the right thing to do. Even if that law includes him doing horrific things.
>>
>>64273925
except he is the law and he ultimately does what he wants
>>
>>64273092
I liked that scene, it made me think Dredd and Anderson thought about it but decided against it
>>
>>64273995
Only within the limits of the law. He does have a slightly righteous side and will occasionally push against the law to do the right thing. Ultimately, he has a massive boner for the law and hates corruption in the legal system.
There was an interesting story about how the judges wanted to introduce robots but Dredd was against them despite it being an easy solution because he didn't believe they could pass a correct judgement.
>>
>>64273770
I get it, i just dont understand why would you think that and i am interested in hearing your point.
Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.