[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I've always heard that the movies basically fucked up
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 114
Thread images: 15
File: Book+vs+movie_e37a83_5009214.png (461 KB, 921x374) Image search: [Google]
Book+vs+movie_e37a83_5009214.png
461 KB, 921x374
So I've always heard that the movies basically fucked up the adaption of Hermione and completely ruined her character.

Never read the books, so obviously the question is, what is the difference between book Hermione and movie Hermione and why is the movie version considered so bad?
>>
In the books she had big bucked teeth but she fixed them with magic.
>>
>>64259308
The movies somehow made her an ever worse mary sue. Although it's been too long since i've read the books to remember, there was a lot that ron or harry did in the books that the movies replaced with Hermione.
It turned the plot into Harry and Ron fucking up and Hermione coming in to save the day, even more than the books already made that the plot.
>>
>>64259399
But her parents were dentists
>>
File: 1451188431622.jpg (931 KB, 1596x2873) Image search: [Google]
1451188431622.jpg
931 KB, 1596x2873
Mate Harry Potter was easily one of the dullest franchise in the history of movie franchises. Each episode following the boy wizard and his pals from Hogwarts Academy as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the seriesüf only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Rowling vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; she made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody?just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for her books. The Harry Potter series might be anti-Christian (or not), but itüfs certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>a-at least the books are g-g-good though
"No!"
The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs."

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King
>>
>>64259545
I'm a guido and I'm even tired of this pasta
>>
>>64259544
Dentistry doesn't magically hurr fix overlarge teeth yo
>>
>>64259545
>Atlas Shrugged
>God Tier

I will point this out every time I see this image simply because it bears repeating that that book and all of its rabid fans are fucking retarded.
>>
>>64259545
Your image upsets me, well done. I did not read your post
>>
>>64259308

your pic basically sums it up. every actor besides ruper grint got way too attractive after like the second or third movie
>>
In the book she was a person of color who was oppressed by the white men who called her 'mud blood'. The movie white washed her character and invalidated her role as there representative of black lives matter
>>
File: 54210.jpg (52 KB, 450x357) Image search: [Google]
54210.jpg
52 KB, 450x357
>>64259545
>Great gatsby
>God tier
>>
The movies ruined Harry as well

Book Harry was actually a reasonably interesting character, with nuance and depth. Movie Harry is just fucking boring.
>>
>>64259545

>anything written by tao lin
>higher than low tier

do you even /lit/, faggot?
>>
>>64259688
M8 he was an angsty teen orphan
It was a good character but don't act like it was full of nuance
>>
> nuggetty physique

>that manlet
>>
>>64259686
>this is the problem he has with that picture
jesus wept
>>
>>64259610
it's weird, because if they had Fountainhead in there, they'd be a little more on point.
>>
>>64259688

Nice blog, fuckface.
>>
File: tao line.png (407 KB, 622x456) Image search: [Google]
tao line.png
407 KB, 622x456
>>64259545
>tao lin
my nigga
his films are excellent
>>
>>64259545
This is a known troll image
>>
>>64259736

Nuance compared to the movies anyway

But yeah after about book five it was pretty much just all angst
>>
>>64259545
>certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement.

i would literally rather watch any harry potter movie over watching skyfall or spectre
>>
Book Herminoe is arrogant to the point she is often puts everyone in danger and does all sorts of retarded shit. She's also basically an outsider nerd who nobody likes (she actually faces a lot of racist discrimination for being muggle) and she's got a huge superiority complex.

In the movie they make her basically sex goddess mary sue and they give her basically all of Rons best traits and give Ron all her flaws.
>>
>>64259308
Does whoever made this comic think they can grow child actors in vats and just dial in the exact genetic and facial features AND the ability to act, but for some reason, just didn't bother to do that for these movies?

Or is he upset that they didn't use CG on every shot of Ron's face to make his nose a few centimeters longer?

Fucking retard.
>>
File: harry-potter-receives-his-wand.jpg (30 KB, 350x329) Image search: [Google]
harry-potter-receives-his-wand.jpg
30 KB, 350x329
>>64259308
Nah, the movies get the characters pretty right.

In the first film and book, she's a toothy, frizzy-haired girl, but as she gets older in the books, she gets prettier. Same thing happens in the movie.

Harry is the same way. They're really comparing "young Harry in the book" to "older Harry in the movie."
>>
>>64259545
Will we ever get a good Ayn Rand movie? I fucking loved Atlas Shrugged and Objectivism is god tier ideology, but the movie of Atlas Shrugged sucked.
>>
>>64259686
>otaku booty
Every day I grow more and more disallusioned with the world
>>
>>64259688
>Book Harry was actually a reasonably interesting character, with nuance and depth.
No he wasn't.
>>
>>64259753
Granted that book's less fucking stupid but it's still fucking stupid. It ends with the main character bombing an apartment complex and getting away with it instead of some bizarre spec-ops air raid of a secret government torture facility, so it's got that going for it.
>>
File: image.jpg (40 KB, 506x441) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
40 KB, 506x441
>>64259794
>>
She is black in the books.
>>
>>64259794
>Objectivism is god tier ideology
why does nobody of substance subscribe to it then?
>>
>>64259308
Isn't it like that with just about every film adaptation?
Especially if it was based on a true story, the actors almost never look anything like their real life counterparts.
It's all about the image.
>>
File: 1406437027067.gif (20 KB, 250x183) Image search: [Google]
1406437027067.gif
20 KB, 250x183
>>64259308
>wild, messy hair = jew fro
>>
>>64259835

God I hate Rowling for pandering on that issue
>>
Hermione's non-bushy hair in the subsequent movies was fine.

That made it all the cuter when her hair frizzed out during Slughorn's contest when she was getting frustrated at failing to make the potion.
>>
File: 3KkXXme.png (82 KB, 533x1730) Image search: [Google]
3KkXXme.png
82 KB, 533x1730
>>
>>64259875
Kill yourself or get better taste in authors you pathetic pedo
>>
>>64259794
Never, because the "appeal" of that drek is the political soapboxing and 20+ page speeches. That shit doesn't translate to film. It barely translates to prose.
>>
>>64259875
She didn't though.
>>
>>64259941
This is good
>>
>>64259778
Nothing wrong with portraying Hermione as a sex goddess. I had a huge crush on her from book one when I first read it in fifth grade and this was before the movies came out. Movie Hermione was everything I both imagined, and wanted, her to be.

Though to be fair, I never read past book three.
>>
>>64259979
>20+ page speeches

Wasn't it like 80?
>>
1. Chamber Of Secrets
2. Sorcerer's Stone
3. Prisoner Of Azkaban
4. Order Of The Phoenix
5. Goblet Of Fire
6. Deathly Hallows Pt. 1
7. Half Blood Prince
8. Deathly Hallows Pt. 2
>>
>>64259984

She claimed that Hermione isn't necessarily white. How is that not pandering?
>>
>>64260102
>people this young are on the board now

No wonder it all went to shit
>>
>>64259308
She's a more flawed realistic character in the books, and in the movies she's a complete OP Mary Sue because of muh feminism
>>
>>64259545
>Harry Potter was was easily one of the dullest franchise in the history of movie franchises. Each episode following the boy wizard and his pals from Hogwarts Academy as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the series’ only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects?all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.Perhaps the die was cast when Rowling vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; she made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody?just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for her books. The Harry Potter series might be anti-Christian (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.
Agreed with this. They're dogshit and the third one is the only one that tried to be something more. Drones will tell you the first two are good, but its a tumblr meme by mongs trying to impress people on facebook.
>1
Despite clocking in at over two solid hours, the movie fails to properly set up and develop its characters and their back-stories, there is almost no build up and, even worse still, chemistry between the actors here. - 0/5
>2
Cramming in every "plot point" you can find in the book does not engaging storytelling make, and it's a wonder there ever was a third movie. - 0/5
>3
Splendid. An entirely enjoyable pop fantasy adventure that never for a moment insults the intelligence. By very very very very far the best of the Potter movies, the only one that manages to capture the funky mad energy of J.K. Rowling's hogwash. - 2/5
>4
Easy come, easy go. - 0/5
>5,6,7,8
Didn't see them
>>
>>64260161
How is it?

What counts as "not pandering" to you?

>How dare you associate a filthy nigger with my character!

?

Is that what she should have said?
>>
>>64260102
But she was described as kinda ugly in the books

>>64260161
She said she never wrote in Hermione's race, meaning you're free to pick whatever race you want for her. She didn't ruin your childhood. Hermione is still white in your head.
>>
>>64259308

But Harry on the covers of the books had straight hair
>>
It's more a factor of emma watson ending up a fucking smoking hot superbabe kinda accidentally, and women seeing that and factoring that into the character as intentional.
>>
>>64260111
That's the Galt speech. There's also one by Rearden and probably some others I'm forgetting. Maybe Dagny or the pirate guy had one.

Point is it's full of rhetorical vomit.
>>
So let's talk Hermione.

When did she get super hot? I say she started looking pretty good in movie two and peaked in.4/5. Declined pretty evenly and very very slightly after that.
>>
>>64260495
Isn't it hilarious how everyone else grew into their...shall I say, British destiny, but she turned out the complete opposite. Lucky girl.
>>
File: c14--snapes-grudge.jpg (22 KB, 350x287) Image search: [Google]
c14--snapes-grudge.jpg
22 KB, 350x287
>>64259308
Book Snape is NOT like movie Snape at all

He's far more evil while movie Snape is more likeable and has a lot of dry humor.
>>
>>64260537

That would be hilarious if I knew what that meant.
>>
>>64260578
Movie Snape isn't likable unless you're going in tainted by having read all the books and you can catch the subtle shit Alan did with him to give it away.

But if you just know nothing and are along for the ride Snape isn't likable at all.
>>
>>64260578
This guy may have saved Harry's life, but he still bullied a kid for years because his dad stole his waifu because snapes was a beta who called her slurs
>>
File: metropolis1.jpg (90 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
metropolis1.jpg
90 KB, 1024x768
>>64259794
The Atlas Shrugged needs to be
>animated
>in Art Deco/film noir/bioshock style
>heavily edited
>half the characters removed
>scrubbed politically except the most necessary parts

It could work as a good mystery/apocalypse/sci fi thriller if anyone bothered to try
>>64260464

>the pirate guy

what a useless character. He'd be the first on the chopping block for my adaptation.
>>
>>64259778
>faces a lot of racist discrimination
Literally the only time it was an issue was like two occasions from Malfoy, the giant cockbag, and one from Slughorn, the old sort of but not completely unreasonable racist.
>>
>>64260750
Nah, Snape was right.

Harry needed to be taken down a couple of notches and no one else was willing to do it because they were too busy sucking his dick.

Just because he didn't hop on the Harry bandwagon didn't make him a "bully."
>>
>>64260230
Genuinely curious, are the illustrations not canon then?
>>
>>64260821
This.

Also, Harry's dad was a fucking asshole. Harry is nice to all the fuckups and misfits at Hogwarts, James seems to have just tormented them.
>>
>>64260821
"Densaugeo!" screamed Malfoy.
Jets of light shot from both wands, hit each other in midair, and ricocheted off at angles—Harry's hit Goyle in the face, and Malfoy's hit Hermione. Goyle bellowed and put his hands to his nose, where great ugly boils were springing up-Hermione, whimpering in panic, was clutching her mouth.
"Hermione!"
Ron had hurried forward to see what was wrong with her; Harry turned and saw Ron dragging Hermione's hand away from her face. It wasn't a pretty sight. Hermione's front teeth-already larger than average—were now growing at an alarming rate; she was looking more and more like a beaver as her teeth elongated, past her bottom lip, toward her chin— panic-stricken, she felt them and let out a terrified cry.
"And what is all this noise about?" said a soft, deadly voice.
Snape had arrived. The Slytherins clamored to give their explanations; Snape pointed a long yellow finger at Malfoy and said, "Explain."
"Potter attacked me, sir—"
"We attacked each other at the same time!" Harry shouted.
"and he hit Goyle—look—"
Snape examined Goyle, whose face now resembled something that would have been at home in a book on poisonous fungi.
"Hospital wing, Goyle," Snape said calmly.
"Malfoy got Hermione!" Ron said. "Look!"
He forced Hermione to show Snape her teeth—she was doing her best to hide them with her hands, though this was difficult as they had now grown down past her collar. Pansy Parkinson and the other Slytherin girls were doubled up with silent giggles, pointing at Hermione from behind Snape's back.
Snape looked coldly at Hermione, then said, "I see no difference."
Hermione let out a whimper; her eyes filled with tears, she turned on her heel and ran, ran all the way up the corridor and out of sight.

Snape was 100% a bully and a complete cockbag.

Yes I realize you were talking about Harry in particular, I'm posting it anyway
>>
>>64260863
He didn't call anyone mud bloods like snape
>>
>>64260907
Hermione had to be taken down a peg too, she thought she was the smartest thing since sliced bread
>>
File: hbp21.jpg (39 KB, 306x316) Image search: [Google]
hbp21.jpg
39 KB, 306x316
>>64260859
of course they're canon

Everything points to white Hermione

Turning her black is just yet another "We Wuz" meme.
>>
>>64260980
he didn't say that out of cruelty and hatred though

if i remember Lily came to his defense once or something and embarrassed him in front of everyone and he lashed out and said that because he was humiliated

and didn't he apologize?
>>
>>64261016
but she was the smartest.

She was a rocket scientist compared to everyone else no one even came close, Ron and Harry were, comparably helpless retarded children.
>>
>>64260907
Bantz != bullying

learn the difference, fag
>>
Hermione is black now?
>>
>>64261056
She wasn't too smart to have not a shred of self-awareness to realize that just because you know the answer doesn't mean you always have to be an insufferable smartass know-it-all about it because it makes you an annoying cunt.
>>
>>64261016
Snape is by all accounts a ridiculously intelligent man, he is an adult and her teacher, if she needed to be taken down a peg, there are about a million other ways to do it that do not involve mocking her teeth.
>>
File: 56943420.0.jpg (63 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
56943420.0.jpg
63 KB, 1280x720
>>64261069
yes
>>
>>64261094
that just means she's emotionally autistic and has no self awareness.

There's a positive correlation between autism and intelligence.
>>
>>64261109
Yeah he's a teacher, not a fucking babysitter.

Can you imagine having to deal with this stupid shit on a daily basis? I'm not gonna fault him for cracking a joke or too at the expensive of dumb kinds doing dumb shit they shouldn't have been doing in the first place.
>>
>>64259308
Book Hermione looks awkward at first, but by Book 4, she becomes a major hottie. Even dates a fucking world famous sports player, who probably has the choice of 10/10 girls day and night and still finds Hermione attractive.
>>
>>64261036
>your friend calls you a halfbreed in front the school in front of everyone
>it's okay cause he apologized
Are you serious?
>>
>>64261161
*expense
>>
>>64261161
teachers are supposed to be professional and above emotional bullying unless it's related to academics.
>>
>>64261161
>Yeah he's a teacher, not a fucking babysitter.
He basically is a babysitter, what kind of school did you go to? Even more so since it's a boarding school.
>at the expensive of dumb kinds doing dumb shit they shouldn't have been doing in the first place.
What in the world was Hermione doing that she shouldn't have been doing in that scene?
>>
>>64260495

Yea, id say 4

When she decends the stairs in her dress to go to the triwizard's ball or whatever she was georgeous
>>
>>64261056
>>64261094
>>64261109
This, plus the fact that she was self conscious about her appearance
>>
>>64260662
Snape is by far at his dick-iest whenever he is giving a class which the movies skipped, so he seems nicer in comparison.
>>
>>64261184
i'm saying it's ok because he didn't mean it

you haven't said shit to your friends out of anger that you apologized for later?

also snape IS half breed
>>
>>64259545
>one hundred years of solitude low tier
fuck that got to me
>>
>>64261184
>in front of everyone

It was like 5 people
>>
File: 1451458632595.png (2 MB, 1000x954) Image search: [Google]
1451458632595.png
2 MB, 1000x954
>>64259835
>>64259870
Dark skin=jew
>>
>>64259545
>100 years of solitude
>shit tier
My colonel, you have shit taste.
>>
>>64260579

He is saying most british people are ugly, an that Emma Watson is hot. I think she is half french so there ya go.
>>
>>64259835
>describes Angelina Johnson, Dean Thomas and Michael Corner being black
>doesn't do it for the female lead who is also black apparently
>>
>>64260167
>27 is young

Okay...
>>
>>64261263
It was like the people who a second earlier had been levitating him upside down and laughing at his shit covered underwear.

Lily was garbage.
>>
>>64261226
Wait wait wait
I'm not a potter expert but all my friends loved it growing up
If snape was half breed how the fuck did he join voldemorts elite magician nazi team?
>>
>>64260230
>But she was described as kinda ugly in the books

She was more of a hot nerd that nevered bothered bringing out her true hotness.

Wizard Messi and one of Slughorn's favorites both wanted to fuck her badly.
>>
>>64261116
..........................wat
>>
>>64261395
There are way too few "wizard aryans" to make a proper wizard nazi army, so they have to recruit halfbreeds too
>>
>>64261395
Voldemort loved half breeds who hated their muggle blood. He was the same after all.
>>
>>64259545
Steinbeck should be higher
>>
>>64261395
Voldemort was a half breed too.

You could join up with him and be half breed as long as you weren't mudblood scum.
>>
>>64259610
>>Atlas Shrugged
>>God Tier
has this reply become part of the pasta?
or is it always you who posts it, not saying that i don't agree but the phrasing seemes to be the exact same in every thread
>>
>>64259941
To be fair making the Devil's Snare Hermione's shining moment in Sorcerer's Stone's climax was kinda necessary since they skip the potion trial in the movie, otherwise they can't give her a shitload of points to give Gryffindor their undeserved cup.

It was way worse how they made it Hermione's idea to escape from Gringotts on the dragon rather than Harry's like it was in the book.
>>
HOL UP HARRY
>>
>>64259688

'No'
>>
>>64261069

It's just a play. I don't understand why people get all hurtbutt about it. Men have played women for centuries in theater and no one bats an eye at that.
>>
>>64259688
He was ender from enders game.
>>
File: image.jpg (79 KB, 706x1006) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
79 KB, 706x1006
>>64261640
>tfw men have always wished to be the little girl
>>
>>64261572
*accios welfare check*
SO YOU BE SAYIN
>>
>>64261640
>Men have played women

What a dumb comparison. That was in a time when acting in the theater was seen as a crass, garbage, career so women weren't allowed to do it, and therefore there were no female actresses around.

There are plenty of white British actresses today it wouldn't be hard to find one.
>>
I gotta disagree I think all of these movies were pretty perfectly cast 2bh
>>
>>64260859
They're usually not
>>
>>64259941
They also fucked up Ron imo in the movies he's just a dumb fuck that doesn't do anything but eat and piss off perfect, independent, strong, Hermione
Thread replies: 114
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.