[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Top 10
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 8
File: The Sacrifice.jpg (68 KB, 1280x847) Image search: [Google]
The Sacrifice.jpg
68 KB, 1280x847
Behold. I am the anointed one to deliver /tv/ from the plebs, redditors, and capeshitters.

I come bearing a top 10 that will confirm my place as your rightful sovereign.

1. Apocalypse Now - Francis Ford Coppola
2. L'eclisse - Michelangelo Antonioni
3. The Woman in the Dunes - Teshigahara Hiroshi
4. Network - Sidney Lumet
5. Ran - Kurosawa Akira
6. The Grande Illusion - Jean Renoir
7. Mirror - Andrei Tarkovsky
8. Au Hasard Balthazar - Robert Bresson
9. Harakiri - Kobayashi Masaki
10. Army of Shadows - Jean Pierre Melville.
>>
File: 1444505811321.jpg (1017 KB, 1636x1744) Image search: [Google]
1444505811321.jpg
1017 KB, 1636x1744
>>64258566
Could you be any more entry level?
>>
>>64258566
If posted seriously
>>>/reddit/

If b8
It's true, holy shit. Everyone bow to our leige.
>>
>>64258566
IMDBcore list

Watch more films
>>
>>64258643
First, I made that.

Second, only two of the movies on the list are on that chart.
>>
>>64258566
>people unironically watch dramas
lmao

just fuck off to >>>/lgbt/
>>
>>64258566
Dr. Strangelove is better than Network
>>
File: FullSizeRender 7.jpg (453 KB, 1763x1245) Image search: [Google]
FullSizeRender 7.jpg
453 KB, 1763x1245
>>64258740

>tripfag
Why did I even bother.
>>
>>64258803
Network is better directed, a more incisive satire and a smarter overall film.
>>
>>64258852
False, pleb
>>
>he actually picked my fucking kurosawa/tarkovsky films, surrounded them by more entry-level shit and then dropped them down farther on his list

i can't wake up
>>
>>64258885
>>64258901
Fear not. Your incorrect opinions will eventually remedied during the upcoming purge.
>>
>>64258852
This tripfag is actually right. Scares me honestly. List isn't bad either.
>>
>>64258852
/tv/ Is a democracy, we have no use for you
>>
>>64258566
I have a feeling for Christmas you asked your mom for multiple Criterion blu rays.
>>
>>64259041
>tv a democracy
Tell that to the janicucks who delete all the reasonable actress threads on site and let obvious shill posts stay up for hours
>>
Unless you speak the language, foreign films cannot be fully appreciated.

It was only until I learned to speak another language that I realised how many things get lost in translation, not to mention a lot of subtle cultural things too. I'm not saying you can't enjoy them, but if there's a bunch of them in your top 10 list you are definitely a tremendous pretentious faggot.
>>
File: 1451348805100.png (10 KB, 353x291) Image search: [Google]
1451348805100.png
10 KB, 353x291
Oh no, my young namefag. You will find that it is you who are mistaken, about a great many things.
>>
>>64259041
>democracy
You are not a democracy. This is anarchy and it must come to an end for the good of all fa/tv/irgins.
>>
>>64259097
Bullshit. Cinema is a universal language. I'll grant that some cultural specifics might get lost but the meaning of a film is never so tied to a certain language or place that it ruins the film by not knowing it. You're like one of those cunts from /lit/ who says you have to read Heidegger in German to understand the arguments he makes.
>>
File: Piavoli.jpg (39 KB, 364x246) Image search: [Google]
Piavoli.jpg
39 KB, 364x246
>>64258566

pretty dull if i'm being honest

you always see this type of list from anon who still haven't fashioned much of a nuanced sensibility for themselves yet
>>
>>64259097
HAHAHHAHA you naive moron. I could go watch any of the so called masterpieces this shitpile of a country prides itself on and deeply appreciate the so called cultural things in the very native language that I speak. Such a privilege of god I'm becoming so enlightened by the second! Except no there's fuck all to appreciate and all you're spouting is utter nonsense. Get fucking real.
>>
File: pleb.png (164 KB, 398x307) Image search: [Google]
pleb.png
164 KB, 398x307
>>64258566
>no Citizen Kane
>no Lawrence of Arabia
>>
>>64259207
When proclaiming a top 10 for /tv/, it must be broad. You misunderstand the meaning and intentions of this top ten.

Here to fulfill your needs however, I'll give you a list of ten most interesting films I've recently watched for the first time in no particular order.

Heroic Purgatory - Yoshishige Yoshida
The Ceremony - Oshima Nagisa
Cruel Story of Youth - Oshima Nagisa
The Wind Will Carry Us - Abbas Kiarostami
The Cyclist - Mohsen Makhmalbaf
The Hunter - Raffi Pitts
Colossus: The Forbin Project - Joseph Sargent
Morocco - Josef Von Sternberg
Dishonored - Josef Von Sternberg
Scarface - Howard Hawks
>>
>>64259377
The fact that it upset you so much makes me think I'm right and really hit a nerve. Your post is an incomprehensible mess.
>>
>>64259390
Citizen Kane is a technical achievement with a now trite message about avoiding addiction to money and power. Important as a milestone but not one of the greatest films ever.

Lawrence of Arabia a good hollywood epic, but unfortunately not good enough to replace any of the ten in the OP list.
>>
>>64259534
Why can't you just take off the trip and post good threads instead of trying to prove how great your taste like this? What is it you gain by assuming some sort of internet identity on an anonymous board?
>>
>>64259683

Did you like whiplash? I loved that movie.
>>
>>64259699
I found whiplash refreshing. It felt like a small 70s movie which I enjoyed even if it is largely derivative.

>>64259690
I can and do accomplish both. /tv/ needs a leader though. Someone to contextualize thier understanding of cinema in relation to. They can hate me, this trip. They can love it, and take recommendations from it. Or they can remain indifferent but the important thing is the concept rather than the actual account.
>>
>>64259097

>but if there's a bunch of them in your top 10 list you are definitely a tremendous pretentious faggot.

you seem to have some sort of intellectually insecure complex when it comes to these things. drop it. it's transparent and reactionary. the truth is that there is no way you could stand by this kind of blanket confirmation bias without you yourself taking up a pretense, so don't be so quick to scream "pretentious". try to be more temperate and discerning. you'll grow well beyond the boundaries lines that you've seemingly set for yourself if you do.

you do bring up an interesting point about cultural affects and allusions being lost on the foreign viewer, but this isn't nearly so much of an issue with cinema as it is with literature.
>>
I wish this would actually happen and wasn't just bait.

I want to be told what to watch so I can just stop myself from watching naruto.
>>
>>64259534

now this is a more interesting list. there seems to be real thought behind it. there might be thought behind your first list too, but you could see how a random anon might think it was a calculated facade of lauded heavy-hitters that some precocious first year cinephile had thrown together believing this is what "cultured" people were meant to like.
>>
>>64259983
How do you not have an uncontrollable ever growing depressing soul crushing list of shit to make yourself watch?
>>
File: Cassavetes.jpg (7 KB, 201x251) Image search: [Google]
Cassavetes.jpg
7 KB, 201x251
>>64259805
>tv needs a leader
Wrong. /tv/'s only leader is a bigguy4u and there's nothing you can do about it.
>They can love it and take recommendations
You're delusional if you think anyone is going to associate you, your name, and your taste together as something they wish to emulate.
>someone to contextualize their understanding of cinema in relation to.
Didn't even finish your sentence but it was shaping up to be more self important nonsense. Who put you in charge of other anon's opinion forming process? You may have seen enough movies to know how to find cool shit to watch as per your second list, but that hardly gives you the right to make decrees about how the board as a whole should think.
>>
>>64260122

The first list are what I believe are not only the best films that I have seen but also a relatively diverse list of the best films of a number of movements that should and can be respected by /tv/.

There is too much concern on this board with appearing to be "entry level". Making a top 10 should not be constrained to the most obsucre films you have watched but instead to the ones that have left the greatest lasting impact on your understanding and appreciation of cinema. I love all of the films of the first list more than any on the second. There is a reason the most popular/well regarded films are well regarded, you just need to discern which of this group aligns with your sensibilities. Never feel bad about putting any film that you find impressive on any list even if others might find it "common".
>>
>>64260326
Would you like to talk about Cassavetes?

I think people fellate their image of him too much and attempt to emulate him without understanding what worked about his films.
>>
>>64260336
That was well put reflects my views on the matter as well.
>>64260388
I would love to talk about Cassavetes. Who are you referring to when you talk about his emulators?
>>
>>64260336

>There is too much concern on this board with appearing to be "entry level".

this isn't my concern at all. my issue is developing a real personal sensibility. i have no interest in aggregate lists to help spoonfeed anon. those who are really going to dive into these things obsessively will always have an inner drive and motivation to do so. they will always find their own way.

and let's be real here. there isn't even any real concern over being "entry" anymore on /tv/ because there isn't any concern for cinema left in general. this is a meme board now.
>>
>>64260493
I think there are a lot of independent filmmakers in the 90s up to today that all seem to watch Cassavetes's films and think the thing that makes them good is that they are "real". I'm speaking of the Joe Swanberg brand of mumblecore here.

They saw Cassavetes in film school and don't understand that his films work because he found the best actors he could and shot in such a way that he let those actors act uninhibited by most constraints of filmmaking. They seem not to understand that just putting some assholes in a room and having them complain about living in new york city, isn't producing anything worth paying attention to.
>>
File: 1423724658375.jpg (1 MB, 1800x1184) Image search: [Google]
1423724658375.jpg
1 MB, 1800x1184
>>64260572
>this is a meme board now
considered posting this to get more replies.

thought better of it though.
>>
>>64260631
I agree, mumblecore realness and contrived drama of the sundance festival variety all fall flat when you compare them with Cassavetes.
But like you said it's a matter of casting sometimes too. Cassavetes was an actor himself so he knows how to get a performance from his actors, many of whom were his friends. And he was working with super talented people like Peter Falk who could deliver a real performance.

To me the closest director whose work has the same feel is Von Trier. He has the ability to capture the awkward pauses fairly well and gets real feeling from a scene, but in my opinion Von Trier relies too much on contrived moments to effect an audience, whereas Cassavettes scenes felt more organic.
>>
>>64260833
I have a whole different view on Von Trier.

He was part of Dogme 95 which definitely has its roots in a Cassavetes type sensibility but most of his work, especially later has been influenced by Tarkovsky to the point where he's stealing production design elements and music directly from Tarkovsky's films but without any of the accompanying poetic meaning leaving me with entirely hollow experiences.

Nymphomaniac in particular is clearly just an attempt to stretch the limits of liberal europe's tolerance. Effectively a troll against anyone with a moral stake in sex.

That's really what Von Trier is best at. Trolling, not filmmaking.
>>
Thanks for the trip, senpai!
>>
>>64258566
Just to be clear, are we posting our 10 favourites or the 10 we believe to be the best?
>>
>>64260999

It just wouldn't be a cinema thread on /tv/ without invoking the name Tarkovsky at least once.

Trips confrim Von Trier as a huge cinematic troll. He is very deliberate in his use of the uncomfortable to push the boundaries of cinema, and like you said, he does so without poetry. But I don't really see what he is borrowing from Tarkovsky. Care to provide a couple of examples? I've been curious to see what Tark's most direct imitators decide to lift from the sculptor of time.
>>
The Mirror isn't even Tarkovsky's best film.
>>
>>64261037
neither, we're posting milquetoast bait that is specifically catered to /tv/ sensibilities

this guy unfortunately has such a refined and calculated list (that he is more than capable and prepared to defend) that he might actually be a legitimate candidate for emperor.

that being said, his list feels a bit too contrived and is a bit limited, likely intentionally so but this is also part of his undoing. and here's the problem; if he shut off his trip, i don't think he would be identifiable.. you may argue that this means he passes the test, however i choose to believe that this is indicative of failure. he is still just a tripfag, and he seems incapable of a truly controversial and divisive opinion as it pertains to this specific audience, so by lacking the inherent contrarian nature.. he simply isn't good enough to be our "leader" much less a real "representative".

tl;dr nice try, go back and put together a slightly more erratic and diverse list and maybe have a real unique opinion on something and then come try again. you're really close..
>>
Having a hard time figuring out who is the biggest cunt on this thread
>>
>>64261763

>meme more please this is /tv/ not a film board
>>
Emperor, how old are you? Just wondering
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.