[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can we all agree that Anakin was well cast in the prequels
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 11
File: 1451365608689.jpg (123 KB, 480x749) Image search: [Google]
1451365608689.jpg
123 KB, 480x749
Can we all agree that Anakin was well cast in the prequels
>>
Why was there ten years between episode I and II anyway? What's the point of recasting the main role in a trilogy? Jake Lloyd was the only actor that was replaced.
>>
Only Hayden, Jake Lloyd was cringeworthy
>>
A better actor would have refused to read the
>weird creepy comments

Episode II Anakin may be the worst written character in the history of cinema.
>>
>>64246543

Lucas wanted to show him as a wide-eyed, innocent kid. The kind of person you would imagine to be incorruptible.
>>
>>64246543
>Jake Lloyd was the only actor that was replaced
A lot of people don't know this but the real Natalie Portman died in the year 2000 and was replaced with a kidnapped girl who was forced to undergo massive amounts of plastic surgery.
>>
File: fWAMyoc.gif (2 MB, 359x202) Image search: [Google]
fWAMyoc.gif
2 MB, 359x202
>>
>>64246623

It's not weird that a kid who's been socially isolated his whole upbringing was weird in courting a woman, it's weird that Padme didn't just kind of tell him to fuck off
>>
>>64246674

Is this podracing?
>>
>>64246543
>Jake Lloyd was the only actor that was replaced
JUST
>>
If you've seen the screen tests of the final three kids they tried out as Anakin, everybody knows that the intense evil looking blonde kid was miles better than Jake Lloyd and would have saved the Phantom Menace if he was cast.
>>
>>64246755
What about OT Sheev?
>>
>>64246791

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZSnB7yGylc

Which one?
>>
File: Thehitcher.jpg (20 KB, 500x366) Image search: [Google]
Thehitcher.jpg
20 KB, 500x366
>>64246837
>>
>>64246791
>Huuuraay
Just one of the lines which would have doomed any actor in that role.
>>
>>64246674
This is possibly podracing
>>
>>64246873
>based Angarano from The Knick
>>
>>64246367
Hayden was good. Jake Lloyd wasn't.

Then again, I'm of the opinion that he should have started age 18 in the prequels.
>>
>>64246367
Hayden did not nothing wrong.
And Jake was just a kid.
>>
>>64246367
I don't think the car was the problem with the prequel trilogy
>>
>>64246977
18 > early 30s > mid-late 40s
>>
>>64246977
The Phantom Menace was essentially pointless?

I agree. The plot for ep 2-3 should have been spread over 3 films, with the clone wars starting at end of 1, the war itself being the major feature of 2 (where Anakin starts to go down the dark side due to war trauma, possibly his new mother of 2 wife being killed causes his rage), and 3 being the end of the war and the fall of the republic/jedi
>>
>>64246977
I'm not. One of the interesting things about the Phantom Menace is how all these seemingly disparate events wind up having serious consequences for this innocent little kid who's basically just along for the ride.
>>
>>64247127
Also in episode 02 we can actually see Obi Wan and Anakin side by side in war, being a good friend to each other
>>
>>64246837
ARE YOU READY KIDS?
>>
>Hayden wooden as fuck
>McGregor in full on "JOLLY GOOD SHOW" ham sandwich mode
>Portman is... there
>Not-the-Emperor not doing a very good job pretending he isn't the Emperor

Seriously, what was up with these four? Everyone else seemed fine.
>>
>>64247290
They had to read the lines written by George Lucas

>Ford famously told George Lucas, concerning the clunky dialogue in "Star Wars," "George, you can type this shit, but you sure has hell can't say it."
>>
>>64246543

>ten years
>>
>>64247290
Sleepwalking, shoddy writing and half-assed directing. I imagine Ewan said "Fuck it." after Episode I.
>>
>>64247522
Ten years in universe. Anakin went from 9 to 19
>>
>>64247127
That sounds so boring and generic though, you may as well not make it at all. Everything you need to know about Anakin and Vader for the sake of the OT's story is learned in the OT, so unless you have something interesting to add you're basically just stretching a fat lot of nothing into a pointless trilogy. Anakin is a good guy that turned bad? Yeah, we fucking knew that already.

Say what you will about their execution but Lucas had a point to make with Anakin's journey and how it contrasts his son's.
>>
Anakin was an animorpher?
>>
>>64247290
>>Not-the-Emperor not doing a very good job pretending he isn't the Emperor

But he's not pretending. He doesn't have to pretend because none of the good guys meet Darth Sidious until episode 3, and they have their suspicions about the Chancellor's interests before then.

If you mean the audience then they're supposed to know something is up.
>>
>>64246367
>why am i contractually obligated for these pos promo stills when this gig has ruined my life? why mom?
>>
>>64247687
>we knew that already
We knew that Anakin was Jedi who fell to the dark side, but nothing more. We don't know how or why.

Building up Anakin as a likeable character with a family would have made his fall to the dark side actually impact the viewer and induce feelings of sorrow. Better to go with what actually works in a story than something original that is shit.

Nothing that happens in the Phantom Menace is interesting or cool. The pod race and the lightsaber fight at the end are the closest, and the latter is mainly because of the hype John Williams music.

Imagine a clone wars film where the entire film is just about battles in the war and Anakin-Obi Wan bromance forged on the battlefield and in life and death situations. Anakin's slow erosion of empathy for his enemies, and erosion of his morality while he tries to fight a war and his pregnant wife and baby children. With Obi Wan in his 40s and a good actor playing Anakin in his late 20s.

Instead what we got was Dexsterr Jettster, the awful green screen Geonosis scenes, awful forced romance while obi wan was on the clone planet, and that was the entire film
>>
File: 1424229397698.jpg (55 KB, 640x625) Image search: [Google]
1424229397698.jpg
55 KB, 640x625
>>64247981
>Dexster Jettster

triggered
>>
>>64246543

Qui Gon got killed.

TPM showed Obi-Wan as a padawan.
>>
>>64246367

Christensen was fine casting, he should have been used in Episode I. The biggest problem with him was that he was written terribly and directed to act like a psychopath. But the body language he brought to Anakin was incredible (and he wasn't hard on the eyes, either). Lloyd was too young, no doubts about that. He couldn't function as a believable protagonist and tended to come off as JarJaring his way through things rather than actually being skilled.

>>64246543

I was thinking lately that, if there was to be a ten year gap between any two episodes of the Prequels, it should have been between Episodes II & III, to give the Clone Wars a good, long period to happen in. I mean, we're talking about a galactic conflagration the likes of which hadn't been seen in a thousand years, that featured long sieges on thousands of worlds, ten years sounds reasonable.
>>
>>64247981
Sounds fucking boring. The idea that Anakin was a kid with potential forced by circumstance into a troubled life, derailed by events both under and outside his control is far more intriguing to me than Anakin being a generic family man turned ebil by WAR. That was doubtless part of the issue in the prequels, even if it wasn't expanded on enough, but Anakin's issues are ultimately much more complex.

I'm not saying the execution wasn't seriously flawed but the story of the prequels itself is awesome. People refuse to give it a chance because "muh good friend."

Yeah, this coming from the famous "certain point of view" scene that was already rendered moot by ESB and ROTJ decades earlier. Never mind that you do in fact see that Anakin and Obi-Wan became good friends after his training was complete. Obi-Wan thought he would be a good teacher for Anakin but he wasn't, which is also in-line with his comments in ROTJ.
>>
>>64246674
>not pretending to lose control of the car crash and die
>>
>>64248305
>Sounds fucking boring
Not as boring as the story in episode II desu

>Anakin lusts after Padme in a forced and creepy romance
>Slaughters a bunch of sand people who raped his mother to death
>Forgets about it and plays a good guy for the rest of the film where his presence is inconsequential

His story arc is literally
>He meets padme as an adult and immediately wants to fuck her
>They go off on a luxury cruise to a romance planet
>They have a weird fantasy romance thing on the planet, the film just switches genres into a chick flick for 20 minutes while switching to Obi-Wan's adventures to remind you you're watching Star Wars
>He slaughters the sand people
>Goes to geonosis, fights a bunch of irrelevant bullshit and nothing of importance to his character happens, but he loses his hand because poetry

And you'd rather have this than the script actually being about the clone wars itself?
>>
>>64248731
You just made a bunch of stuff up and ignored everything that actually happened in the movie.

Nothing of importance to his character happens? Seriously?
>>
>>64248808
To be fair, the entire geonosis section of clones is a blur because I was nodding off in the cinema when I saw it
>>
>>64246367
No
Anakin should be a tidy charismatic mature grown man
Not this whiny faggot prettyboy we got
>>
>>64246873
lol jake lloyd is miles ahead the rest. the "intense" looking blonde kid looks scared as fuck
>>
>>64246873
>young natalie

just kill me
>>
>>64246660

Geez, could've just gotten Keira Knightley, she already played Amidala's doppelganger in ep1.
>>
>>64248295
I liked how Christensen tried to match JEJ's way of speaking. You can tell he was really dedicated to the role, despite the material he had to work with
>>
File: 1402082771765.jpg (17 KB, 400x388) Image search: [Google]
1402082771765.jpg
17 KB, 400x388
>>64249385
Poor guy...
>>
Anakin should've been played like Arthas

>glad you could make it Obi-wan
>>
>>64249728
>Watch your tone with me, boy. You may be the apprentice, but I'm still your superior as a Jedi Knight.
>>
>>64248731
I share this, in my opinion the second movie is the worst by far for this reason. At least there's an excuse for the first apporting pretty much nothing, once you put kid Anakin you're limiting yourself to having the serious developement to happen later. The second didn't have this excuse and most of it's action could've been solved well with way less scenes and time.
>>
>>64246660
When Natalie Portman died she was actually replaced with Kiera Knightley, who was given minor cosmetic surgery to match. The being today known as Kiera Knightley is a complete mystery and likely only the inner most circles of the Illuminati.

Originally, Kiera Knightley was supposed to disappear entirely from Hollywood and eventually people's memories. She would continue her career as Natalie Portman. Then, a year after Attack of the Clones, Pirates of the Caribbean was released starring an actress going by the name Kiera Knightley.

What is interesting about this, is you can tell that pre-2000 Natalie Portman was actually a very different caliber of actor than Attack of the Clones nu-Portman (originally Kiera Knightly). And after Attack of the Clones her acting caliber gets better again for Revenge of the Sith and onwards. This is because the shock of seeing a mysterious incarnation of her old self staring in a new Hollywood blockbuster sent Natalie/Kiera into a fit of insanity. So much so that her memory was wiped, and her personality was reprogrammed so that she believed she truly was Natalie Portman. The real Natalie Portman. Using a mental imprint of Natalie Portman, they completed the conversion of Kiera Knightley into Natalie entirely. Despite it not being in the original plan.

The side effect of this reprogramming is that she ended up gaining Natalie Portman's ability to act, instead of Kiera's lifeless and wooden lack of talent.

The Natalie Portman we see in movies is in almost every way the same as the original. The Kiera Knightley we see however remains a mystery, her origins and purpose are among the world's best kept secrets. It's more than likely she isn't even human.
>>
File: 1332649222750.jpg (145 KB, 1111x597) Image search: [Google]
1332649222750.jpg
145 KB, 1111x597
>>64246660
>>
>>64250115
Is this real?
>>
>>64246660
>>64250115
>>64250734
It's a meme like the Hannah Montana one or whoever was dumped off in the desert and replaced. Not even original
>>
>>64250734
be calm, young reddit
>>
>>64250986
>It's a meme like the Hannah Montana one or whoever was dumped off in the desert and replaced.
>or whoever

Its funny when anons pretend to be ignorant of pop culture maymays. Nigga you're on 4chan nobody gives a fuck if you know who Miley "or whoever" is.
>>
>>64246367

Christensen was a good casting decision, they just gave him a horrible script to work with. Just like they did with McGregor, Portman, and Jackson.

>>64246697

Exactly. Anakin's awkwardness wasn't what I found weird about Episode II, he's a sci-fi monk for christ's sake. Portman falling in love with him because of it was just bizarre.
>>
>>64252218
I know who Miley is I just forgot If the meme was her or Coscrove/ McCurdy. Now that I think about it, those two were the raped by dan meme I think
>>
>>64248731
Forgets about it? His downfall is almost chiefly influenced by the Tusken Slaughter and losing his mom.
>>
>>64248914
What fucking ever.
>>
File: Paul-is-dead-the-great-hoax.jpg (72 KB, 325x429) Image search: [Google]
Paul-is-dead-the-great-hoax.jpg
72 KB, 325x429
>>64250986
You know there's a far more popular meme that started way earlier than this, right?

inb4 Martin Guerre
>>
File: lookinggoodkid.jpg (124 KB, 2000x1333) Image search: [Google]
lookinggoodkid.jpg
124 KB, 2000x1333
What happened to him?
>>
>>64246367
i hate how they have to have his uniform darken as he gets older. like, derp, incase ya can't figure it out, Anakin turns into Dark Vader! oooooohhh
>>
>>64252461
Jewish Khazars have been stealing identities for much longer
>>
>>64252527
Mark Hamill has said that when he did wardrobe tests for RotJ, he assumed Luke would turn evil because he had darker clothes. It's an obvious bait and switch and it tricked us all.

This took it a step further. Dark clothes aren't evil any more, maybe Anakin won't be evil. After all, he was good in the end, maybe there's more to it than that? But no, it brings it full circle, Anakin is a bad guy so he wears black. If you were a fan of the original trilogy, you weren't expecting it.

I guess it seems obvious if you only saw the prequels, or saw the prequels first?
>>
>>64246657
Veered too close to saccharine though. I think it would've been better to go with a decent teenager. Maybe just too much of a free spirit though, or too eager to prove himself, that he goes too far down the deep end...
>>64247127
>possibly his new mother of 2 wife being killed causes his rage
Wouldn't work. Anakin didn't realize he had a son until Luke showed up, and he CERTAINLY didn't realize Luke had a sister until he read his mind.
>McGregor in full on "JOLLY GOOD SHOW" ham sandwich mode
Ham sandwich mode is best mode. He and McDiarmid seemed to be the only ones really enjoying themselves.
>>64252491
The Dark Side is seductive.
>>64252658
>If you were a fan of the original trilogy, you weren't expecting it.
But we know he becomes Vader. We are all expecting it.
>>
>>64252491
It's funny seeing Jake Loyd now and thinking that we were supposed to believe he would lose his fat face and become Hayden Christian when he got older.
>>
>>64246367
Worst animorphs cover
>>
>>64247127
he cant know Portman was pregnant with twins though, cause in the OT Darth didnt know he had children until he confronted them.
>>
>>64253425
Hah, I thought the same thing.
>>
>>64247981
>Dexsterr Jettster
why are people so upset by this character? he was barely on screen 3 minutes
>>
>>64247127
Episode II should have had the important Anakin story bits from The Clone Wars animated series. Stuff like him rejecting his Chosen one status and his Padawan being wrongfully expelled from the Jedi order, making it so the Jedi council actually hurt him directly and somebody he cares about. Giving him personal beef with them, instead of just "GOTTA SAVE MUH PADME."
>>
>>64247727
>If you mean the audience then they're supposed to know something is up.
Wow, the guy who played the Emperor is in the new movies as the hooded Sith Lord. He's also playing a suspicious man named Palpatine. Something must be up!
>>
>>64246674
He seems like a cool guy to hang out with.
>>
>>64252491
Jake... had a hard life.
>>
>>64252491
he was seduced by the dark side
>>
>>64250115
As memey as it is, this is creepy to think about.
>>
>>64253998
>>64253998
Because the whole 50's diner was just obnoxious and the cherry on top was this fat brown peesashit

IT was trying to do something like the Cantina and just ended up horribly out of place and jarring
>>
>>64254102
the audience already knows he is the Emperor
the story wasnt "Who is the emperor" it was "how did the emperor come to power"
>>
>>64254022
Anakin having a padi is fanfic tier crap.
>>
>>64254246
No, it was fine and a fun light-hearted scene taboot.
>>
>>64254246
>IT was trying to do something like the Cantina
how? Obi-wan went there to get information from his informant. the scene in no way resembled the cantina scene. the 50's theme felt what ever, its a diner with spacy tech, much like everything else in the world.

>>64254304
>Anakin having a padi is fanfic tier crap.
by the time of Ep. 3 Anakin was a Jedi Knight, and he could/would have taken an apprentice
>>
>>64254304
All of the prequels were fanfic tier, but at least Ahsoka was able to give him some much needed character development and showed him in a sympathetic light.

Anakin is too brooding in the prequels. He never feels like a good man who was seduced by the dark side. He feels like he was always teetering on the edge and his fall was inevitable.
>>
>>64246367
No. never.
>>
>>64246367
The actors turned it into a grade school play, OP.
Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.